Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author PEG HERRING!

This week our featured author is Peg Herring. She has joined us once before, with a guest blog. Here's the link to her previous visit:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-PEG-HERRING/td-p/987656/page/2

Peg's website is here: http://www.pegherring.com/

Poison, Your Grace  

Killing Silence  

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author PEG HERRING!

Welcome Peg. It's great that you are joining us here at the mystery forum this week. Have a good time.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peg Herring is a writer who once taught high school English. After graduating from the University of Michigan, she worked in education, teaching English, history, and communications. In 2002 she left teaching to pursue full-time writing.

Peg Herring’s love of history and years of teaching Shakespeare led to Macbeth’s Niece, her first published novel (Five Star). These days Peg speaks to groups on the writing process, reading genres, and public speaking. When not writing, directing musical groups or gardening, she and her husband enjoy travel, both abroad and in the Unites States.

Historical novels, especially mysteries, attract Peg, both as a reader and a writer. The research is fun, and she can lose herself for hours in a library studying William the Conqueror or Ivar the Boneless.

Writing historical mysteries is a challenge, since an author must capture the feel of the era for her readers while painting realistic characters in an exciting plot. In historicals one can ignore police procedures and DNA samples, concentrating instead on the intelligence of the protagonist, the ingenuity of the antagonist, and the wonderful details of what life was like in a time other than our own.

Peg’s contemporary mysteries center on female characters caught in threatening situations. Being strong women, they stand up for themselves and, in the process, find that they are capable of much more than they ever imagined.

Peg Herring is a writer who once taught high school English. After graduating from the University of Michigan, she worked in education, teaching English, history, and communications. In 2002 she left teaching to pursue full-time writing.

Peg Herring’s love of history and years of teaching Shakespeare led to Macbeth’s Niece, her first published novel (Five Star). These days Peg speaks to groups on the writing process, reading genres, and public speaking. When not writing, directing musical groups or gardening, she and her husband enjoy travel, both abroad and in the Unites States.

Historical novels, especially mysteries, attract Peg, both as a reader and a writer. The research is fun, and she can lose herself for hours in a library studying William the Conqueror or Ivar the Boneless.

Writing historical mysteries is a challenge, since an author must capture the feel of the era for her readers while painting realistic characters in an exciting plot. In historicals one can ignore police procedures and DNA samples, concentrating instead on the intelligence of the protagonist, the ingenuity of the antagonist, and the wonderful details of what life was like in a time other than our own.

Peg’s contemporary mysteries center on female characters caught in threatening situations. Being strong women, they stand up for themselves and, in the process, find that they are capable of much more than they ever imagined.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Killing Silence  

1. Overview

Killing Silence, the first of The Loser Mysteries, presents a unique protagonist: Loser, who sleeps on the streets of Richmond, Virginia, washes up in gas station bathrooms, eats when an opportunity comes along, and spends her waking hours in front of the local drug store, watching the world pass by and speaking less than thirty words per day.

When a child is murdered and Loser finds herself in the company of the prime suspect, can she pull herself out of her own pain to help catch a killer? Her investigation is hampered by her inability to hold a normal conversation and her inner demons.

Why should anyone believe her anyway? She is Loser. A nobody. A freak who can barely speak.

Every street person has a story, and Loser is no different. Her past haunts her present.

Besides, Loser has good reason to avoid the police...and it goes way beyond loitering.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Poison, Your Grace  

Editorial Reviews

Publishers Weekly - Publishers Weekly

Simon Maldon, an apothecary’s apprentice, earned the trust of the future Elizabeth I in Herring’s first mystery, Her Highness’ First Murder (2010), set in 1546. Six years later, Simon’s and Elizabeth’s paths cross again in this engaging sequel after a murderer strikes in London’s Whitehall palace. It’s a particularly sensitive time, as England’s young ruler, Edward VI, is in failing health, and several would-be successors are vying for the throne. Many fear that the person who fatally poisoned Lord Amberson, a trusted adviser of the king’s, may have been trying to frame Elizabeth for the crime. When the king summons Simon’s master, Carthburt, to Whitehall to try to identify the agent of death, Simon goes along and gets involved in the inquiry. Herring does a nice job of making Elizabeth a plausible partner in detection and the life-and-death intrigues of the period fresh and compelling. (Nov.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome, Peggy!

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Thanks! Being featured is more than I hoped for, so I'm CERTAIN it will be fun!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I must say that the idea of using a street person as the main protagonist in a mystery, is genius.  I'm going to have to check it out.  Thanks for stopping by!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us this week, Peg! What are you working on now?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Peg:

Killing Silence also looks interesting to me too. I don't want to forget about reading your historical novels either. I love that genre too.

Enjoyed your blog. Thanks for visiting again with us. Gotta get that TBR pile going faster!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

Hi Peg,

Glad to see you here! What are your Thanksgiving plans?

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

We're in the middle of Holy...I mean hunting season, so my son will be here to eat and shoot, not necessarily in that order.
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

TBR sometimes stands for Too Big, Reader!

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

I'm supposed to be writing the fourth Dead Detective Mystery, the fourth Simon & Elizabeth Mystery, and the third Loser Mystery. Not sure how that's going to happen!
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

I'm thrilled to hear that because one agent told me, "The world isn't ready for a homeless protagonist."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:
I'm supposed to be writing the fourth Dead Detective Mystery, the fourth Simon & Elizabeth Mystery, and the third Loser Mystery. Not sure how that's going to happen!

Good grief - it doesn't sound like you're going to have a relaxing Thanksgiving!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What's your average day like, Peg? Do you schedule certain hours for writing, social media, etc.?

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Peg

Historical fiction---love love love it!

What moves you for topics?  If I was to even attempt to write one book I don't know if I could juggle it but you---3 books AND hunting season

Keep it up....more historical fiction please

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Welcome Peg

Historical fiction---love love love it!

What moves you for topics?  If I was to even attempt to write one book I don't know if I could juggle it but you---3 books AND hunting season

Keep it up....more historical fiction please

J

Welcome, Peg, I agree with leisure_reader--I enjoy historical fiction also. I'm looking forward to reading your "Simon and Elizabeth" books!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie