Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author PENNY WARNER!

Welcome Penny:

Your books look very interesting to me. I will definitely need to check them out.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, Becke!
I'm overwhelmed with all of the books you included! Can't wait to chat with new friends. -Penny
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Hi Patti,
Yes, I'm definitely a cozy writer. My Connor Westphal books are now e-books for $.99 and feature a deaf reporter. All of the titles are puns using terms related to deafness.
Author
PennyWarnerInk

Hi Ryan,
Actually, I have a new series out called THE CODE BUSTERS CLUB which offers codes for readers to solve in every chapter. The first one is called THE CODE BUSTERS CLUB: SECRET OF THE SKELETON KEY. The second one just came out - THE HAUNTED LIGHTHOUSE.
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

If you join the Code Busters Club you get a package filled with secret compartments, codes, and other supplies. Go to CodeBustersClub.com
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Hi Maxcat,
So glad you enjoyed it. Nancy Drew was a role model for a lot of us growing up.
Definitely an inspiration.
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie,
I'll have to check out your blog!
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie,
Thanks for the warm welcome. What a great blog Becke has here!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PennyWarnerInk wrote:
Thanks so much, Becke!
I'm overwhelmed with all of the books you included! Can't wait to chat with new friends. -Penny

Penny - Did I miss any? I'm not sure if I found them all. You're very prolific!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PennyWarnerInk wrote:
Hi Patti,
Yes, I'm definitely a cozy writer. My Connor Westphal books are now e-books for $.99 and feature a deaf reporter. All of the titles are puns using terms related to deafness.

When I was young, I remember reading Ed McBain's 87th Precinct books, where Detective Steve Carella's wife Teddy was deaf. What inspired you to feature a deaf reporter? My mom is deaf in one ear and when my son was little he played with a little boy who was deaf. When I was a kid I had a playmate whose parents were both deaf. I come across deafness a lot in real life, but rarely in books.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PennyWarnerInk wrote:
Hi Ryan,
Actually, I have a new series out called THE CODE BUSTERS CLUB which offers codes for readers to solve in every chapter. The first one is called THE CODE BUSTERS CLUB: SECRET OF THE SKELETON KEY. The second one just came out - THE HAUNTED LIGHTHOUSE.

My son would have LOVED these when he was young! Now I'll have to buy them and set them aside for when his daughter is old enough to read!

Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Hi Patti,
I have a master's degree in Special Education/Deafness and worked with deaf children. I love sign language and wanted to incorporate it in my book. And I wanted the main character to be deaf, not just a sidekick character.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PennyWarnerInk wrote:
Hi Patti,
I have a master's degree in Special Education/Deafness and worked with deaf children. I love sign language and wanted to incorporate it in my book. And I wanted the main character to be deaf, not just a sidekick character.

I think it's a great idea!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Penny - When did you decide you wanted to be a writer? How long did it take to get your first book published? I love to hear about authors' call stories. Would you tell us what it was like to get the call (if it WAS a call) to let you know you'd made your first sale?

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Penny to our little form

You seem to have some YA books in your collection.  Which do you pefer to write..YA or Cozy or How To's.  Having a son (now 24) with a processing disorder (not dislexia but similar), I wish there were some of your books for him (many moons ago).

Nancy Drew got me hooked on reading and we had every book for quite a while (don't know where they are now!).

Keep on writing.  And the pendants are cute too 

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis

Here are newer covers for Penny's books than those in the links I posted.

right_to_remain_silent.jpg
cw-2.jpg
cw-dbl-1-cover (1).jpg
quiet_undertaking-cover.jpg
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks so much.  I'll have to check them out with my son

PennyWarnerInk wrote:
Hi Ryan,

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome,  Penny. I am looking forward to reading one of your books. I received one of your mystery necklaces from a Got Books? package that becke sent me, and now I hope to get another one soon.

All of your books look enticing--more titles to add to my TBR pile. I did get a nice chuckle out of the character names you used for your library mysteries. I hope maybe in the near future one of our city libraries will host one of your library-themed mysteries.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

You have plenty! Thanks so much!
Author
PennyWarnerInk
0 Kudos

Hi Becke - great questions! I started writing soon after my first child was born. But it took several years to get that first book published. After writing non-fiction books on parenting and children's activities, I began to write mysteries (right around the time my kids became teenagers....coincidence?) When I got the call from my agent, my hands were shaking!