becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author PENNY WARNER!

I met Penny on Facebook when Duffy Brown drew my attention to the cool, mystery-themed pendants Penny makes and sells. I invited her to join us this week - I think you'll like her books!

http://www.pennywarner.com/

"Penny Warner blends humor and mayhem to create a unique mystery full of fun. Her cast of offbeat characters and solid plot make this romp through the streets of San Francisco a party you don't want to miss."
    ~ Denise Swanson, Murder of a Royal Pain.
“Penny Warner's scintillating HOW TO HOST A KILLER PARTY introduces an appealing heroine whose event skills include utilizing party favors in self defense in a fun, fast-paced new series guaranteed to please.”
    ~ Carolyn Hart, award-winning author of Dare to Die.
“Penny Warner dishes up a rare treat, sparkling with wicked and witty San Francisco characters, plus some real tips on hosting a killer party.”
    ~ Rhys Bowen, award-winning author of the Royal Spyness mysteries.
“There's a cozy little party going on between these covers. Don't miss Penny Warner's new series.”
    ~ Elaine Viets, author of "Killer Cuts," a Dead-End Job mystery.
“Fast, fun, and fizzy as a champagne cocktail! The winning and witty Presley Parker can plan a perfect party--but after her A-list event becomes an invitation to murder, her next plan must be to save her own life.”
    ~ Hank Phillippi Ryan, Agatha-winning author of PRIME TIME

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author PENNY WARNER!

From Penny's website:

About Me

I've been writing since I read my first Nancy Drew in 6th grade. Since then I've had over 50 books published, fiction and non-fiction, for adults and children. I've been lucky -- my books have won national awards, garnered excellent reviews, and have been printed in 14 countries, including Russia, France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Australia, Canada, Indonesia, India, Israel, Poland, Japan, and China. My best-sellers include Healthy Snacks for KidsKids’ Party Games and ActivitiesBest Party BookGames People PlayKids’ Holiday FunLearn to Sign the Fun WayBaby Play and LearnKids Pick-A-Party, andKids’ Party Cookbook.

I have a Bachelor’s degree in Child Development and a Master's degree in Special Education, and I've been teaching child development at the local college for over 20 years. I also teach writing tips at conferences across the country, including Pikes Peak, Whidbey Island, San Francisco, Jack London, and dozens of others. I belong to Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, SCBWI, Women Writing the West, and California Writers Club.

And I've appeared on television featuring ideas from my books, including the national Dr. Spock PBS series, “Parent Sense,” the “Later Today” show, “HGTV,” “Channel 7 News,” “People Are Talking,” “Mornings on 2,” and dozens of others. In my spare time, I write a weekly newspaper column on family life (avaliable at ContraCostaTimes.com), and I contribute to popular websites including NancyDrewForever.comBalloonTime.com,OrientalTradingCompany.comToysRUs.comBirthdaysRUs.comEvenflo.com,DrSpock.comFisher-Price.comParentalWisdom.comiParty.com, andParty411.com.

My husband Tom and I write interactive mysteries as fundraisers for libraries across the country.

I live in Danville, California, have two grown children, and four adorable grandchildren.

Awards

Dead Body Language

• Winner! - Macavity Award for Best First Mystery
  • Nominated! - Agatha Award for Best First Mystery

Mystery of the Haunted Caves

• Winner! - Agatha Award for Best Juvenile Mystery
  • Winner! - Anthony Award for Best Juvenile Mystery

The Official Nancy Drew Handbook

• Nominated! - Agatha Award for Best Non-Fiction
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Penny Warner's Upcoming Appearances

1/26 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm -YWCA - Berkeley

2/9 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm - "She's All That" young girls event

2/11 - 9:30 am - Ladies of Charity - San Jose

2/14 - Noon - Crow Canyon Club - San Ramon

2/14 - 2/17 - San Francisco Writers Conference - workshop

3/16 - Noon - AAUW/Martinez - women's group

3/23 - 5:30 pm - Walnut Creek Authors Under the Stars Gala

4/13 - 1:00 pm - Assistive League of Amador Valley

5/1 - Orinda Women's Club

Coming soon:

Bollinger Elementary/San Ramon

Coyote Creek Elementary/San Ramon

Live Oak Elementary/San Ramon

Barnes & Nobel/Dublin

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Penny's Library Mysteries:

Library Mysteries

Our unique whodunits are set in libraries and feature 8 to 12 suspects, played by your local community leaders and luminaries. We originally wrote the first mystery for our local Friends of the Library as a fund-raiser for the Danville Library of Contra Costa County and the Dublin Library of Alameda County. They were so successful that soon libraries all over the country began ordering scripts for their fundraisers. We've been offering our Library Mysteries since 1987 and libraries have made thousands of dollars for their branches. We now offer 4 different mysteries.

Murder in the Library
This tongue-in-cheek mystery begins with a book signing party by a rather unpopular mystery author, Agatha Mystery. When all the suspects have toasted her – and she has given her scathing response – Agatha Mystery suddenly drops dead between the book stacks. Whodunnit? Suspects and characters include:

Agatha Mystery, the celebrated author
Lotta Books, the head librarian
Dell Doubleday, the writer’s publisher
Dalton B. Walden, the local bookseller
Page Turner, the cynical book critic
Alexa Dynasty, the trashy mini-series star
Ron Bonzo, the local politician
Sam Slayed, the chief of police

Murder of the Loaded Librarian
When the wealthy old library patron leaves her fortune to her twenty-something gigolo, the rest of her family and staff all have a motive for murder Rocky Stallion – when he turns up stiffer than, well, a happy gigolo. Whodunnit?

Suspects and characters include:
Mason Rumpole, the shyster attorney
Heathcliff Bux, the ungrateful son
Madonna Bux, the money-grubbing daughter-in-law
Nurse Ratchet, the live-in nurse
Porky Prudhomme, the tasteless chef
Guy Happy, the gay poodle groomer
Indy Kowalski, the macho chauffeur
Jane Bronte, the retiring nanny
Rocky Stallion, the gigolo
Lt. Columbus, the local law enforcement
Lotta Books, the hosting librarian

Murder of the Mystery Detective
When the world’s favorite mystery detectives gather together for a game of Klew, the eccentric game-show host turns up dead in his Clue inspired mansion. Whodunnit? Suspects and characters include:

Lotta Books, the hosting librarian
Hemlock Bones, the know-it-all criminologist
Agatha Mystery, the nosy neighborhood snoop
Sam Slayed, the hard-boiled gumshoe
Nancy Prude, the teenage girl sleuth
Hercules Perot, the foreign intrigue
Kutesy Millstone, the tough gal detective
Sir Arthur Conan Hoyle, the game-show dick
Chief Inspector Adam Dogleash, flatfoot in charge

Murder, Maestro, Please
The trend-setting library is featuring a special jazz event, complete with radio broadcast, live from the library – until the music – and the Duchess Ellington, the famous jazz singer – died. Whodunnit? Suspects and characters include:

Oprah-Lee Gifford, radio show co-host
Regis Rivera, the other radio show co-host
Tangerine Lipgloss, makeup artist
Jellyroll Goodman, sound engineer
Clarinetta Fitzgerald, talk show producer
Gopher Clueless, radio errand boy
Danielle Savoy, program scriptwriter
Earl-Fatha Spielberg, program director

How to Host a Library Mystery

If you’re interested in hosting a Library Mystery, we’d be happy to send you one of the four, for one-time-use only. They’re fully scripted and easy to produce, and each package contains:

1. Complete scripts for individual suspects to read (no memorization required) and costume suggestions.
  2. Complete information on stage direction for the suspects and the basic production of the mystery.
  3. Police Reports, props, clues, crime scene layout, name tags, and other necessary materials personalized for each mystery.
  4. Complete instructions for additional props needed for the mystery.

We are available to answer any questions and help with the production as best we can over the phone or via email. The fee for the mystery is $150 (we love libraries!), but we also offer the package on a sliding scale, since some smaller libraries may have more limited budgets. (It’s up to you to decide the final cost.)

Our Library Mysteries are always well attended and wonderfully received, according to the many thank-you letters we’ve received. Fremont Library raised $3,000, welcomed 200 people at $15.00 a ticket. Sure beats those overdue book fines!) Many libraries return year after year for additional packages. Since we began writing the mysteries in 1987, we’ve sold over 500 packets, and raised countless money for libraries across the country.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Penny Warner - Featured Author

[ Edited ]

Official Nancy Drew Handbook  

The Official Nancy Drew Handbook

Nominated for an Agatha Award!

Nancy Drew turned 78 last year, but you wouldn't know it to look at her: Perfectly coiffed, with Titian hair to die for, an ever-adoring fiance , and the best sidekicks a girl could want, our intrepid heroine is still finding clues, escaping from villains, solving mysteries, and saving the day all without mussing those gorgeous tresses.

And now, so can you: The Official Nancy Drew Handbook will teach you how to live the Nancy life, with tips on fashion and beauty, romance, relationships, survival, sleuthing, and success. Soon you too will be tapping out Morse code with your high heels, using beauty aids to outsmart evildoers, and packing your pocketbook for every emergency. Girl Detectives need look no further to learn the life lessons of a super sleuth!

Nancy Drew Scrapbooks!

My daughter-in-law, Sue Warner, makes and sells these adorable Nancy Drew scrapbooks! If you want to buy one, just let me know

Tips and Tricks You'll Learn from the Official Nancy Drew Handbook

• How to use lipstick to write SOS backwards when you’re bound and gagged.
  • How to lift suspicious fingerprints with face powder.
  • How to pack the perfect handbag for all contingencies.
  • How to disguise yourself and go undercover to follow criminals or your cheating boyfriend.
  • How to decipher a coded message that may arrive by carrier pigeon.
  • How to be ready for any emergency, including a kidnapping, assault, or fashion faux pas.
  • How to analyze handwriting and uncover a nefarious criminal or lying paramour.
  • How to prepare and offer first aid in case of snakebite, chafed wrists, or fainting spells.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Connor Westphal Mystery Series

Meet Connor Westphal, deaf journalist in the small town known as Flat Skunk. Follow her through exciting twists and turns as this journalist-turned-amateur-sleuth makes her way through the perilous world of death, crime and intrigue.

Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand (Connor Westphal Series #7)  

When Connor Westphal and the residents of the gold-country town of Flat Skunk realize that the ubiquitous wooden dummy hanging in front of the town's gold-mining shop has been exchanged for the body of Zander Nicholas, Connor's determined to get the scoop on this story. Questions and theories compel her to take a closer look at the fringe groups—religious cults, survivalists, environmentalists, pot growers, and gamblers, to name a few.

Complicating Connor's life is the reappearance of her former boyfriend, Josh, newly widowed, and proposing marriage. For Connor, this is an unsettling issue because her current love, Dan, had also proposed recently. Afraid of losing her independence, she's avoided giving Dan an answer. With all the personal turmoil and quirky, not-so-friendly suspects milling about, it's no surprise that Penny Warner's Dead Man's Handis a fun and fast-paced read.

Dead Body Language

Dead Body Language (Connor Westphal Series #1)  

Winner! - Macavity Award for Best First Mystery

Nominated! - Agatha Award for Best First Mystery

Deaf newspaper reporter Connor Westphal traded in her San Francisco mocha lattes for boiled coffee and her family inheritance: The Eureka!, a tiny local paper in California's Gold Country. Working out of her office in the town of Flat Skunk with her TTY telephone and her cute, hearing assistant, Jeremiah, Connor puts together mystery puzzles for her readers. Her mini-mysteries are by far the most deadly doings in this one-horse town -- at least until the first lady of Flat Skunk, Lacy Penzance, is found sprawled across her husband's grave at the Memory Kingdom cemetery, cold as his headstone.

Lacy had secretly visited Connor the day before her death to place an anonymous ad in the Eureka! supposedly looking for a lost sister. Now Connor is determined to uncover Lacy's secrets and nail a killer--if she can avoid moving into a Memory Kingdom plot of her own.

Sign of Foul Play

Sign of Foul Play (Connor Westphal Series #2)  

Last night's earthquake has the California Gold Country town of Flat Skunk buzzing; and over her morning mocha, deaf newswoman Connor Westphal is shaping it into a lead story for her local paper, theEureka!  Then her TTY phone brings more sensational news: a twisted corpse has been found on a construction site owned by her rival publisher, Harlan Truax.  What was the soil engineer doing there at midnight, and was it the quake that toppled him four stories to his death?  An act of God--or human malevolence?

Connor is soon back in the sleuth business, uncovering Flat Skunk's darkest secrets: from toxic dirt to tainted relationships.  But someone's out to stop her, and they're saying it with flowers, verses, menacing e-mail--and a series of murders that could knock the numbers off the Richter scale and silence on lip-reading reporter forever.

Right to Remain Silent

Right to Remain Silent (Connor Westphal Series #3)  

Deaf journalist Connor Westphal just broke a huge story for her California Gold Country newspaper, theEureka! Old Sparkle Bodie has finally passed away--only to send local tongues wagging by coming back to life at the funeral home!  Rushed to the hospital, Sparkle is dead again within the hour.  But this time, someone's used a pillow to smother any chance of a resurrection.

Most folks agree that Sparkle was pretty unpopular.  She was Flak Skunk's most vocal opponent of plans to develop the town.  And when she organized a Bodie genealogy, she unwittingly revealed a few embarrassing family secrets--ancient history most people would rather forget.  When Sparkle's deaf son is accused of her murder, Connor is determined to use her investigative skills to find the real killer.  But as tempers flare and bodies pile up, Connor is afraid that the story of her life may ultimately be the death of her.

A Quiet Undertaking

A Quiet Undertaking (Connor Westphal Series #4)  

Life is never dull in the California Gold Country town of Flat Skunk. But deaf journalist Connor Westphal is shocked all the same when she learns that boxes of human ashes have been found stashed in a nearby self-storage facility. The space is leased to one Jasper Coyne, a bourbon-happy fisherman hired by the Memory Kingdom Memorial Park to scatter the ashes at sea.
Connor thinks the scandal will make great copy for her paper, the Eureka!--until Jasper is murdered and suspicion falls on Connor's own best friend, Memory Kingdom owner Del Rey Montez. Connor is sure Del Rey is innocent. To prove it, Connor must navigate mortician politics and skinhead teens to untangle the secrets of Del Rey's past. But when she gets too close to the truth, she makes an enemy who's determined to make sure the intrepid reporter bites the dust along with her biggest scoop of the year.

Blind Side

Blind Side (Connor Westphal Series #5)  

Croaked in Calaveras, Buford the Bullfrog is dead.  And that's only the beginning...

Connor Westphal, the feisty deaf publisher of the weekly Eureka! jumps into the annual Jubilee festivities when her sidekick and main squeeze, private eye Dan Smith, is retained by Buford's jockey to find the "murderer".  With the help of Sheriff Elvis Mercer and the eccentric denizens of Flat Skunk, Connor and Dan think it'll be a snap, until the sheriff's son Jeremiah comes under suspicion -- and a human body surfaces in Critter's Creek, along with a lot more dead frogs.  Connor knows Jeremiah is innocent, and with the aid of a new blind friend, sets about finding out who is killing the frogs -- and people -- of Calaveras County.

Silence is Golden

Silence Is Golden (Connor Westphal Series #6)  

When old prospector Sluice Jackson announces his discovery to the regulars at Flat Skunk’s Nugget Café, no one takes him seriously. After all, Sluice is missing a few nuggets himself, after eighty years of drinking liquid gold in the form of homemade whiskey. But yelling the word “gold” in a room full of wannabe prospectors is like yelling “chocolate” at a PMS support group. Soon the whole town is headed for them thar Gold Country hills.

Deaf reporter Connor Westphal sees a gold mine in newspaper sales, but her next headline comes as a surprise. Sluice’s gold nugget turns out to be a gold tooth – and the grisly find belongs to a long-buried skeleton...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Code Busters Club #2: The Haunted Lighthouse When...

[ Edited ]

The Code Busters Club #2:
The Haunted Lighthouse

When Cody and her friends get a mysterious e-mail hinting at a treasure on Alcatraz Island, they can’t wait to get started on their clue hunt. Luckily, a class trip to the prison is the perfect cover to start their search.

During the tour, the club members learn that a jewel thief may have hidden his biggest haul on the island and left a series of coded messages to find it. And solving puzzles is what the Code Busters do best!

The Code Busters Club, Case #1  

The Code Busters Club, Case #2  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Penny's expertise goes beyond mysteries:

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome, Penny!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Penny, welcome, I hope you have a great visit. I will have to check out you books. I love the covers. They look like cozy mysteries.

How do you come up with your titles. I love asking.

I hope that you have an enjoyable visit.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'm going to get the juvenile mystery for my son.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis

Ryan_G wrote:

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'm going to get the juvenile mystery for my son.

Don't those look fun?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Penny, I have your Official Nancy Drew handbook and it brings an awful lot of memories back. Yet, I've never read all of the originals, too numorous to count. Your characters in your books sound like fun. I will be sure to pick up a book soon.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Penny Hi, thanks for the visit. It looks like there is another new to me author that I must try.