Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author PETER LOVESEY

Hi, Peter, I hope you have a great visit. I must check out your books.

They look interesting. What do you like about writing mysteries?

Again have a great visit with us.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Welcome and I must stay that the title of Tooth Tattoo makes my entire mouth ache.

It's a great title, isn't it?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Peter - Thanks for joining us! I've seen many of the film/television adaptations of your stories and thought they were well done. Are there any you particularly liked - or disliked?

By the way, to include a comment you're responding to, click "reply" on the lower right. When the new comment box opens, click "Quote" (next to Spell Check" above right.

If you're having trouble commenting, it could be browser related. Internet Explorer can be problematic here - Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome usually work better on this site.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Welcome, Peter!  I just read The Tooth Tattoo last week, the first of your books I have read.  I enjoyed it!  To put Ryan's mind and teeth at ease, from what I gather, it isn't really a tattoo but an applique of some sort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Welcome, Peter, I've read a couple of your books and they were excellent. I should get more of them to read. Thanks for being here this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Peter:

What an impressive list of books? I haven't read any yet but I do have 15 of your books. Got to get started. I like to read them in the order they were written. Are they stand-alone novels or do you have series?

Thanks for visiting with us!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:
Welcome Peter:

What an impressive list of books? I haven't read any yet but I do have 15 of your books. Got to get started. I like to read them in the order they were written. Are they stand-alone novels or do you have series?

Eadie - This is from Wikipedia. Hope it helps! (I highly recommend the Peter Diamond novels.)

Peter Diamond novels

Albert Edward, Prince of Wales novels

Novels as Peter Lear

Other novels

Short story collections

Anthology

Non-fiction

• The Kings of Distance (1968)
  • The Guide to British Track and Field Literature, 1275-1968 (1969), ISBN 0-902175-00-9 (with Tom McNab)
  • The Official Centenary History of the Amateur Athletic Association (1979), ISBN 0-900424-95-8
  • An Athletics Compendium (2001), ISBN 0-7123-1104-1 (with Tom McNab and Andrew Huxtable)
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:
Welcome Peter:

Eadie - This is from Wikipedia. Hope it helps! (I highly recommend the Peter Diamond novels.)

Peter Diamond novelsAlbert Edward, Prince of Wales novelsNovels as Peter LearOther novelsShort story collectionsAnthologyNon-fiction
  • The Kings of Distance (1968)
  • The Guide to British Track and Field Literature, 1275-1968 (1969), ISBN 0-902175-00-9 (with Tom McNab)
  • The Official Centenary History of the Amateur Athletic Association (1979), ISBN 0-900424-95-8
  • An Athletics Compendium (2001), ISBN 0-7123-1104-1 (with Tom McNab and Andrew Huxtable)

Thanks Becke!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peter - Email me if you have trouble signing in/posting comments: Treethyme@aol.com.

Thank you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peter will be joining us tomorrow (Saturday). Be sure to stop in!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Peter. I'm sorry to confess that I have not as yet read any of your books, but I intend to remedy that ASAP.

I DO love Rosemary and Thyme! Any chance of a R&T2 in the future?

I note that you did write some of the screenplays for films adapted from your books. Other than yourself, who's your favorite screenplay adapter of one of your books? Which film adapted from your work is your favorite?

Any films made from one of your books that you just HATED? Or any casting choice that made you cringe?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Welcome, Peter. I'm sorry to confess that I have not as yet read any of your books, but I intend to remedy that ASAP.

I note that you did write some of the screenplays for films adapted from your books. Other than yourself, who's your favorite screenplay adapter of one of your books? Which film adapted from your work is your favorite?

Any films made from one of your books that you just HATED? Or any casting choice that made you cringe?

Fricka - Peter has been trying to sign in for ages, but the computer gnomes are doing their best to stop him. If it comes to it, I'll post his responses for him.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sorry - I was unavailable today and tomorrow Peter will be on an overseas flight. If he can join the conversation at some point, we'll extend his feature. So far, it's Evil Computer Gnomes - 1, Featured Author - 0. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Welcome and I must stay that the title of Tooth Tattoo makes my entire mouth ache.

Ryan - I'm posting this on Peter's behalf:

RYAN-G: Sorry I caused you pain just thinking about THE TOOTH TATTOO, Ryan. Dulcinea (see below) is quite right. Tooth tattoos are little emblems that are stuck to the teeth. There’s no needle involved! They are more popular in Japan, I believe, than anywhere else. The tooth tattoo in my novel helps to solve the mystery, so I thought it would make a great title. It’s only just been published, so we’ll see.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Hi, Peter, I hope you have a great visit. I must check out your books.

They look interesting. What do you like about writing mysteries?

Again have a great visit with us.

ReadingPatti

Patti - I'm posting this on behalf of Peter:

PATTI: Thanks for your comment, Patti, and you must forgive me for being slow in replying (don’t ask!). The appeal of writing mysteries for me is that it’s a form of writing that allows me to pose a problem and solve it in an entertaining way. It’s rather like a magic trick. You set up a situation and create a series of surprises using misdirection. Along the way you develop characters and scenes that you hope will engage the reader. The great thing about a mystery is that everything has to be explained by the end. Life isn’t always like that, but there’s real satisfaction when it happens – and you can make it happen in a book.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Peter - Thanks for joining us! I've seen many of the film/television adaptations of your stories and thought they were well done. Are there any you particularly liked - or disliked?

By the way, to include a comment you're responding to, click "reply" on the lower right. When the new comment box opens, click "Quote" (next to Spell Check" above right.

If you're having trouble commenting, it could be browser related. Internet Explorer can be problematic here - Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome usually work better on this site.

Response from Peter: (Sadly, even Google Chrome was uncooperative for him!)

BECKE: I’ve been lucky in having so many of my books dramatized. The Sergeant Cribb series on TV was a great boost early in my career. At the time I had eight books written featuring the Victorian detective and when the eighth, called WAXWORK, was reviewed in Time magazine, a TV producer happened to read it and got in touch. They made a ninety minute pilot and it went out at Christmas time and got a very good audience, so they commissioned the series. Alan Dobie played Cribb and was marvellous in the role. As well as being screened in England, the series was chosen to launch the Mystery! series on PBS in America and I was invited over to Los Angeles and stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel. You can imagine the thrill of that for a young(ish) writer. So I have a special affection for that series. The only problem with it was that in those days they had a one-hour format and my eight books were used up very quickly. These days a book is spun out over at least two hours and probably several episodes. Together with my wife Jax, I also wrote six more screenplays for the series that weren’t based on books.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Welcome, Peter!  I just read The Tooth Tattoo last week, the first of your books I have read.  I enjoyed it!  To put Ryan's mind and teeth at ease, from what I gather, it isn't really a tattoo but an applique of some sort.

Dulcinea - This is Peter's response:

DULICINEA3: Thanks for helping to set Ryan’s mind at rest, Dulcinea. Mystery writers like to create some tension and unease, but they try to draw the line at actually causing pain! I’m glad you managed to get through THE TOOTH TATTOO without needing an injection!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Welcome, Peter, I've read a couple of your books and they were excellent. I should get more of them to read. Thanks for being here this week.

Max - here's Peter's response:

MAXCAT: It’s a pleasure to take part in this forum. Barnes and Noble have been very good to me over the years stocking and selling my books, but this is the first time I have had a chance to respond to readers this way.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:
Welcome Peter:

Eadie - Here's Peter's response:

EADIEBURKE: Fifteen of my books and you haven’t read any yet? Better drop everything, change your plans for the weekend, and get started! For the very first one you’d have to go right back to WOBBLE TO DEATH, the first of the Sergeant Cribb series. But a more recent series features Peter Diamond, a modern police detective, and there are now thirteen of those in print. The first was THE LAST DETECTIVE. But I have to say that I write them so that any reader can dip in and start any of the books without needing to know what happened in the earlier ones. There aren’t many references back. I do sometimes write stand alones. My favorites of those are THE FALSE INSPECTOR DEW and THE REAPER.

The False Inspector Dew  

The Reaper  

Peter: I should mention that having a huge to-be-read pile is the price we pay for participating in this forum. All of us are big mystery fans, but it's so hard to read all the books we want to! And I try to introduce everyone to authors they might not be familiar with. My own TBR pile is frightening!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Fricka - Here's Peter's response:

FRICKA: Yes, I was a consultant for the ROSEMARY & THYME series. It was fun to be a part of this. Basically I read other people’s screenplays and advised on how they could sharpen them up. I don’t think another series is planned. I suppose there are only so many plots involving gardeners and murder and we went through quite a lot of them. Felicity Kendal and Pam Ferris were marvellous in the title roles.
You also asked if I had a favorite screenplay writer who adapted one of my own books for the small screen. That would be Alan Plater, who did a marvellous job with WOBBLE TO DEATH, rich in atmosphere and humour, and letting the action tell the story. I can’t really think of any I HATED, but I can tell you about another play in the Cribb series that created a casting problem. It was an episode called THE LAST TRUMPET, and it was supposed to be about the largest elephant in captivity, who was actually called Jumbo, and was a great favorite at the London zoo in Victorian times. The famous American showman, Barnum, decided to make an offer for Jumbo and there was a huge protest from the Brits. It made a nice conflict to write about (this wasn’t a book, it was specially for TV). But when they started looking for the large African male elephant to play Jumbo, all they could find was a small Indian female called Rosie. I was horrified, but by really ingenious camerawork they made Rosie look huge and got away with it. I have the highest admiration for TV
technicians.

Note from Becke: You can read more about Jumbo here: http://www.barnummuseumexhibitions.org/jumbotheelephant.htm