Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome JONATHAN KELLERMAN!

Hi Jonathan..Because you are at the Pulse of  Crime and in your Practice...I have a   Question..Given the enormous Drug use over the last 25 years,and the addiction rate of,the birth of crack babies,addicted babies.etc..Do you think that a part of the brain  that houses compassion,for others,is gone.in of most criminals if they were addicted at the time of their birth and were never nutrured correctly.Your practice as a Psychologistand all your research must be a wonderful asset to your patients...Thanks Jonathan.,.Susan Vt

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan, I am thrilled to be able to talk to you. I simply loved your books. I also love Faye's and Jesse's.

I was wondering if Alex and Robin will ever get married?  I also love their dog, Blanche.

My second question is Would you and Faye come together in one book, Alex/ Milo with Peter and Rina? I think that would be a great book.

I read the ones you did together. I just think since they are all from LA that it would be great if you would do one together.

I have read about all your books. I have your new book from the library that I would at. I am anxious to read it.

Please keep the great reads of Alex coming. I am a big fan.

ReadinPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks to Susan who found this photo of Jonathan and Jesse at a B&N event:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke for Posting the photo here, It Looks Great...Suze./Susan/Vtc.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Savage Spawn Since i have never read your non-fiction Becke posted this and I became interested..I also referred it to a friend who is a Therapist in Vt...maybe some of my answers to my questions can be found in your book...  With any place in America we have our fair share of addiction..The crime is low,we are a small state..but addiction is on the upswing..Just a comment..Thanks Jonathan 

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Kellerman,

I was interested in asking if you feel that you are a better story teller now than in your earlier works?

I would also like to ask how you think the publishing industry is changing (anything form author blogs to e-readers to what people are willing to read etc) and how you are coping with that? Are you changing what you do to remain successful?

Thanks so much.

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Great questions, Jim! Thanks for joining the discussion.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Jonathan,

I have read several of your books. I am behind in your series.

The Conspiracy Club is the one that sticks out in my mind.

The Conspiracy Club was a book club selection for a mystery club I am in.

Was there a sequel or continuance to this book, or is it standalone?

Luanne

Author
JonathanKellerman
0 Kudos

I've never written a book that I didn't enjoy creating.  Alex has been a great friend and he's a terrific vehicle for telling a certain type of story.  Sometimes other varieties of story pop into my heand and that's when I begin a stand-alone.  I'm aware that other writers of series feel strait-jacketed.  Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes only to encounter tremendous public protest.  So he managed to bring him back.  Similarly, Chandler came to despise Marlowed.  Fortunately, that doesn't apply to me.  If it did, I'd stop writing; life's too short. 

Faye and I were discussing an idea for a t.v. series - crimes in various cities handled by pairs of homicide detectives.  We decided to do it in book form, instead, and two novellas, CAPITAL CRIMES and DOUBLE HOMICIDE, were the result.  It ended up being an extremely positive process, possibly because we never met face-to-face but, rather, sent each other drafts by e-mail.  Also, we made sure to adopt a different attitude - less possessiveness and a clear understanding that this was going to be a collaboration.

Author
JonathanKellerman
0 Kudos

Interesting question, Susan.  Actually, the spate of crime and other problems predicted during the great crack epidemic didn't pan out.  While there's not doubt that drugs can create all sorts of physical and social problems, there's no simple link between drug use and morality.  It's a complex issue one that I tried to address in my nonfiction book SAVAGE SPAWN.  One thing I did learn during my years as a psychologist was humility. Many times people surpassed clinical expectations and did much better than predicted by experts.  So I've learned to keep an open mind.

Author
JonathanKellerman
0 Kudos

Thanks for your kind words, Patti.  Let me try to address all your questions in order:

1.Alex can't be married and get into that much trouble.  If they get hitched, it'll be a sign the series is over. (I have no intention of ending it.)

2. Faye and I have collaborated but we're pretty protective of our individual novels.  We like to say that after 40 years together, four kids, two grandkids, and a whole lot of sharing, we cherish the opportunity for a bit of "alone" time.  So I don't see any Delaware-Decker novels.  However, from time to time we do borrow characters for brief scenes.  In other words, if Decker's the right guy for a given scene in one of my books, I'll have no qualms "using" him.  After Faye proofreads to make sure I got it right.  LOL.

Author
JonathanKellerman
0 Kudos

Hi, Jim.  I'm probably the worst person to answer that.  I'd to think I've learned something over nearly 30 years of writing fiction, but, ultimately, readers will be the judges.

Publishing has changed in terms of conglomeration:  fewer but larger publishers.  I'm fortunate in that nothing seems to have affected me.  I just go about my business and try not to get distracted by business - or anything else.  That's the key, I suppose:  focused concentration.  It also helps that I love what I do.  I'm amazed, actually, that my "modus operandi" really hasn't changed over the years:  I go into a quiet room, type, end up with a manuscript in a year or so, mail it in, think of another and get to work.  It's a wonderful job.  And I've never forgotten that I owe it to the loyal people kind enough to buy my books.

Author
JonathanKellerman
0 Kudos

Hi, Luanne.  I wrote it as a stand-alone, motivated by the desire to do something a little darker.  To some extent Jeremy Carrier can be thought of as Alex Delaware's tortured younger sib.  I'm quite fond of him and may bring him back if the right story comes along.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jonathan, when you first arrived you mentioned someone in the family was in the hospital and that it was serious. I've been hesitant to bring it up, but I hope everything is okay.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JonathanKellerman wrote:

I've never written a book that I didn't enjoy creating.  Alex has been a great friend and he's a terrific vehicle for telling a certain type of story.  Sometimes other varieties of story pop into my heand and that's when I begin a stand-alone.  I'm aware that other writers of series feel strait-jacketed.  Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes only to encounter tremendous public protest.  So he managed to bring him back.  Similarly, Chandler came to despise Marlowed.  Fortunately, that doesn't apply to me.  If it did, I'd stop writing; life's too short. 

Faye and I were discussing an idea for a t.v. series - crimes in various cities handled by pairs of homicide detectives.  We decided to do it in book form, instead, and two novellas, CAPITAL CRIMES and DOUBLE HOMICIDE, were the result.  It ended up being an extremely positive process, possibly because we never met face-to-face but, rather, sent each other drafts by e-mail.  Also, we made sure to adopt a different attitude - less possessiveness and a clear understanding that this was going to be a collaboration.

Is there any chance we may yet see these as the basis for a TV series?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

JonathanKellerman wrote:

Interesting question, Susan.  Actually, the spate of crime and other problems predicted during the great crack epidemic didn't pan out.  While there's not doubt that drugs can create all sorts of physical and social problems, there's no simple link between drug use and morality.  It's a complex issue one that I tried to address in my nonfiction book SAVAGE SPAWN.  One thing I did learn during my years as a psychologist was humility. Many times people surpassed clinical expectations and did much better than predicted by experts.  So I've learned to keep an open mind.

Good Morning.Its so complex,that I imagine any positive findings that some can overcome the negative is always a step in the right direction...Now on to your # 23..'Bones"..I try to follow your books,Faye's and Linda Fairstein..I was a Patricia Cornwell fan for a long time,but not so much anymore...I am still not sure if I missed the Safrans bodies being found,If they were never found,then the Mystery continues..What are you working on now?Thanks Jonathan..Susan..Vt

Author
JonathanKellerman
0 Kudos

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the next Delaware novel. I've got several more planned but my approach is to go day by day, page by page.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What's the likelihood of more collaborations in the future, or more non-series books?

On one of your Center Stage visits, someone brought up the question of casting. Our regulars are very good at casting books -- I wonder who they'd choose to play Alex and Milo and the rest.

I'd love to see Deception made into a movie, although visualizing the dry ice scene in my head was bad enough.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thanks Jonathan..Alex,Milo,Robin and Dr.Rick are like family...So please keep them around for a while..Unless you are going to make us cry,I know anything can happen.. I saw a Forum dedicated to Milo,so you know he is loved..  :  )...Will be back before you leave..Susan Vt...

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I just finished my first Jonathan Kellerman novel - Bad Love. I saw that you were coming to the Mystery Bookclub and decided to read one of your books. I found it to be a definite page-turner and hard to put down. I have since picked up some more of your novels. I think I am hooked! I found Alex and Milo to be very interesting characters and will surely enjoy reading about them again. Nice to be able to tell you that personally. That's what I like about Barnes and Noble's website. The opportunity to meet so many authors is amazing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt