becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome JOYCE AND JIM LAVENE!

The gnomes and gremlins have been sabotaging Joyce and Jim's attempts to join us. I'm going to post their responses instead:

To Fricka:

Hi Fricka,
Hope you are enjoying Treacherous Toys! we wanted to set a mystery series at the Ren Faire for fun. We love going to the faires and festivals!
Thanks for stopping by!

To Debbie:

Thanks for stopping by, Debbie! We love to write - and it shows! We are lucky to have found readers and publishers for all of those books!
The number kind of crept up on us!

To Eadie:

Hi Eadie! Thanks for visiting today! Glad you are enjoying A Timely Vision. We have really loved writing about Duck, NC (a real place), Mayor Dae, and her friends.

To Reading Patti:

Hello Patti! We write cozy mysteries - no sex or gore on the page. You have to imagine it. As far as book titles, some of them are ours and some come from the publisher. We try to fit the title to the book and the series. Thanks for stopping by!

To Maxcat:

Writing the NASCAR books has been a blast, Maxcat! These books are the only ones we've been able to write a married couple. You can imagine that we enjoy that! Thanks for coming by!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joyce and Jim - I'm always curious how people go about co-authoring books. Do you divide the responsibilities equally? Is one of you the idea/plotting person while the other writes? How do you manage to write so many books together without driving each other crazy?

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Joyce and Jim

Welcome to BNMF

If I may add on a question to Becke's last post....

How do you handle creative differences?  I have been married (to the same man) for 31 years and although we do not write books-we sometimes have some big-time "creative differences" (but I am the one who is ALWAYS right)!

Congrats on your long list of creations...looking forward to reading..

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

More responses from Joyce and Jim:

To Becke: :smileywink:
We don't divide responsibilities on writing the books. We came up with our way or writing 14 years ago. We take an idea, write a long synopsis so we know what both of us are thinking. We sit down at the computer after that and tell the story to each other, typing it in as we go. Kind of like a round robin. I think we've been able to work so well together because we ran a small office supply business together for many years before we started writing together. We do divide up promotion and other aspects of publishing.

To Leisurewriter:
Thanks for stopping by! Jim and I have only one rule that can't be broken: we both have to agree or it doesn't go in the book. It's very simple. Hard sometimes, but simple. It means we have to think around any creative differences we have. There is never only one answer, after all. We have been married 41 years and have always enjoyed working and being together. It's like spending the day with your best friend.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I finished A HAUNTING DREAM this afternoon when the baby was sleeping (and the internet was out). I hope there will be more to come! I really enjoyed it!

A Haunting Dream  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Post your messages and/or questions for Jim and Joyce here. I'll post their response asap!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I asked Joyce how many books she and Jim have written. Her answer is impressive!

"We've written about 65 books now, 62 published with this year."

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joyce - With all the books you've written together, are there any you feel are "your" books or "Jim's" books more than the others?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for visiting with us this week, Joyce and Jim! I appreciate you bearing with us even when you couldn't sign in. THANK YOU!!