Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome LEIGHTON GAGE & HIS INTERNATIONAL CRIME POSSE

Dan is on Facebook; you can check out a recent blog post of his here.  Dan is also on Twitter.

Read a review here, and you will also find a link to excerpts at the end of the review. 

Contributor
Yrsa_S
0 Kudos

Hello anyone and everyone reading this,

first of all I would like to thank Becke and B&N for the opportunity to participate in this discussion thread - I am pretty new to this phenomena so please excuse me if my terminology is wrong or if I mess things up somewhere along the line, reply in the wrong places etc. Anyway I am looking forward to answering any questions you might have about my books, my country, writing in general or if you are not sick and tired of ash related news - life under a volcano.

until later

Yrsa

Contributor
danwaddell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome Becke. Much appreciated. Thanks for having us.  To paraphrase what they say about London buses: You wait ages for an international crime writer then six come at once.

I think this might be the first time I've been part of a posse. I like it. The Magnificent Six. Leighton is our Yul Brynner.  I'll take James Coburn.

Looking forward to joining in this and seeing where it takes us. London might have featured in thousands of books, but I like to think mine - my first one at least, The Blood Detective  - deal with the secret, hidden parts of this city, the unseen, what lies beneath. More of that later maybe...

Dan

I like to think that I know better than to think that I know better.
dhaupt

Good morning and Happy Monday to all my fellow mystery fans and to all the great guests we have here this month. Thanks to Becke for putting this all together.

Hi Leighton and posse,

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read your books (yet), but I love international mysteries, thrillers etc. So thanks to this forum I'll be introducing myself to new worlds of international crime.

I was born in Germany, but raised in the USA and have only traveled out side of this country in Mexico on vacation. So I love learning about new places, new faces and new peoples. 

I'm following your blog so I can learn more about you and will be ordering a novel by you after I search the titles for one that speaks to me.

Thanks again for taking the time to chat with us.

Frequent Contributor
Leighton-Gage
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

Cara has asked me to post this for her: She also sent along a lovely photo of a French Café, but I couldn't seem to paste it into this email.

Sorry, folks.

And sorry, Cara.

Leighton

Bonjour...thanks for inviting me and the posse, Becke. Delighted to be here. I'm in Paris now for research. After a lovely weekend of sun, with May first - fete de travail - workers day with peaceful yet clogging the streets demonstrations and the lovely custom of lilies of the valley sold on streetcorners for 'bonheur' good luck it's now a grey and drizzling Monday. I'm not sure of Wifi connection - even though here in the Marais the mayor is very proud of his quartiers free wifi  to all - I will be moving to Montmartre and my friend's couch. Just letting you know if may take a day or two for me to respond. Since it's morning here and I'm interviewing a policewoman must rush off...

Cara

Leighton Gage
Crime Novels set in Brazil
Author
Stanley_Trollip
0 Kudos

FYI, Cara is featured in a great article in the latest Mystery Scene magazine written by Tom Nolan.

Mystery Scene No. 114, 2010.

Also I've just been told of a give-away of 5 copies of our A Deadly Trade at Eurocrime (http://www.eurocrime.co.uk/Competition.html)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi everyone - I'm not quite back to normal on the homefront, but I will be shortly. In the meantime, let me quickly post Cara's introduction.

You can listen to an NPR interview with Cara, check out her website here

You can view videos of Cara here (I was unable to embed them):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnPdjIYo_A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jao-Ub20Jjs&feature=related

becke_davis
0 Kudos

palaisroyalcover

Synopsis

Aimée identifies an aristocratic murderer in the historic Palais Royal.

Publishers Weekly

Before Aimée Leduc can go to New York to meet a previously unknown brother at the start of Black’s solid, if less than suspenseful, 10th mystery to feature the Paris PI (after 2009’s Murder in the Latin Quarter), dogged Inspector Melac arrests her for the nonfatal shooting of her partner, René Friant. A woman impersonating the stylish PI entered the Leduc Detective office and shot René with a Beretta. Someone, Aimée decides, is trying to frame her. Improbably, Aimée gains her release by pulling strings with her godfather, Commissaire Morbier, so she can investigate on her own. The trail leads her to Cardinal Richelieu’s former Palais Royal, where bistro waitress Clémence Touvier schemes to blackmail the prominent mother of a neo-Nazi arsonist whose accomplices Aimée helped convict. Clémence’s strangulation in the Palais arcades ups the ante. In the end, Aimée must confront dark revelations about her fugitive mother, who may have a part in the sinister plot against her. (Mar.)

From the Publisher

Praise for Cara Black:

“The buzz is partly about her heroine’s hip, next-generation, cutting-edge investigations and partly about Paris, a setting of unrivaled charm.”—Houston Chronicle

“Will have you wondering if it’s not too late to book that summer vacation to Paris you always wanted.”—USA Today

“The trendy byways of Paris belong to Aimée Leduc, the clever young sleuth in a winning series by Cara Black, an American with an uncanny feel for the street culture of old Parisian neighborhoods."—The New York Times Book Review

“The Parisienne Kinsey Milhone.”—Los Angeles Times

“One of the best heroines in crime fiction.”—Lee Child

Her partner, René, has been shot, and eyewitnesses have identified Aimée as the culprit. A mysterious deposit has been made to their firm’s bank account, interesting the taxman in their affairs. Someone seems to be impersonating Aimée; someone wants revenge. Two murders ensue. How do they relate to the youth whom Aimée’s testimony sent to jail in the very first Aimée Leduc investigation, Murder in the Marais?

Cara Black is the author of nine previous books in the best-selling Aimée Leduc series, all of which are available from the Soho Crime imprint. She lives in San Francisco with her husband and son and visits Paris frequently.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Synopsis

Normally a peaceful wilderness retreat, the Jackalberry bush camp has suddenly become a ghastly crime scene—and the details are still emerging when Detective David "Kubu" Bengu is assigned to the case. Zimbabwean teacher Goodluck Tinubu and another tourist have been found bludgeoned to death, while another guest at the camp—rumored to be a dissident wanted in Zimbabwe—has disappeared without a trace.

With the local police unable—or unwilling—to provide much assistance, Detective Kubu relies on his own instincts to track down those responsible for the crimes. But a startling piece of forensic evidence from Goodluck Tinubu's murder adds a complicated twist to the investigation, and Kubu must work fast to solve a seemingly impossible riddle before any more Jackalberry guests meet their death. Suspecting that everyone at the camp has something to hide, the wily detective from Gaborone sets a clever trap to find the truth.

The memorable Kubu of A Carrion Death returns in this gripping story of murder, greed, and hidden motives. Set in northern Botswana, amid lush vegetation and teeming wildlife, The Second Death of Goodluck Tinubu captures the intense loyalties and struggles taking place at the country's borders—and the shattered dreams of those living just outside this modern democracy.

Publishers Weekly

In Stanley's fine second mystery to feature Botswana police detective David Bengu (after 2008's A Carrion Death), Bengu, an overweight gourmet aptly nicknamed Kubu (Setswana for hippopotamus), investigates the murders of two male guests at an isolated bush camp. One victim was a black South African tourist; the other, according to his fingerprints, was Goodluck Tinubu, supposedly killed 29 years earlier in the Rhodesian civil war. A third camp guest, who's disappeared, becomes the prime suspect. While the local police want to blame the country's lucrative drug trade for the murders, Bengu believes the key lies in Goodluck's background, though many people, including Bengu's father, knew Goodluck as a thoughtful, devoted teacher. The story runs on a little too long, as though Stanley, the South African writing team of Michael Sears and Stanley Trollip, couldn't bear to leave this evocative setting. Readers will feel the same way. (June)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

More Reviews and Recommendations

Biography

Michael Stanley is the writing team of Michael Sears and Stanley Trollip, who have had many African adventures together. Sears lives in Johannesburg, South Africa. Trollip divides his time between South Africa and Minneapolis, Minnesota.

A Carrion Death 

Synopsis

In A Carrion Death, a memorable new detective makes his debut in a gritty and evocative new series set amid the beauty and darkness of contemporary Africa.

From the Publisher

Smashed skull, snapped ribs, and a cloying smell of carrion. Leave the body for the hyenas to devour—no body, no case.

But when Kalahari game rangers stumble on a human corpse midmeal, it turns out the murder wasn't perfect after all. Enough evidence is left to suggest foul play. Detective David "Kubu" Bengu of the Botswana Criminal Investigation Department is assigned to the case.

The detective's personality and physique match his moniker. The nickname "Kubu" is Setswana for "hippopotamus"—a seemingly docile creature, but one of the deadliest on the continent. Beneath Kubu's pleasant surface lies the same unwavering resolve that makes the hippopotamus so deceptively dangerous. Both will trample everything in their path to reach an objective.

From the sun-baked riverbeds of the Kalahari to the highest offices of an international conglomerate, Kubu follows a blood-soaked trail in search of answers.

Beneath a mountain of lies and superstitions, he uncovers a chain of crimes leading to the most powerful figures in the country—influential enemies who will kill anyone in their way.

A memorable detective makes his debut in this gritty, mesmerizing thriller. Set amid the beauty and darkness of contemporary Africa, A Carrion Death is the first entry in an evocative new series cutting to the heart of today's Botswana—a modern democracy threatened by unstable neighbors, poachers, and diamond smugglers. Those trying to expose the corrupt ringleaders will find themselves fighting for their lives. . . .

The New York Times - Marilyn Stasio

…a first novel saturated with local color…Kubu is…hugely appealing—big and solid and smart enough to grasp all angles of this mystery. Readers may be lured to Africa by the landscape, but it takes a great character like Kubu to win our loyalty.

Biography

Michael Stanley is the writing team of Michael Sears and Stanley Trollip, who have had many African adventures together. Sears lives in Johannesburg, South Africa. Trollip divides his time between South Africa and Minneapolis, Minnesota.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Breathing Water Breathing Water by Timothy Hallinan: Book Cover

The Barnes & Noble Review

I used to think that John Burdett's terrific books (Bangkok 8, Bangkok Tattoo, Bangkok Haunts) about Royal Thai police detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep, the only practicing Buddhist on the police force, were all I needed to know about the darker, sadder side of that popular tourist site. Then I began to read Hallinan's books about American travel writer Poke Rafferty, who lives in Bangkok with his Thai wife, Rose, and their adopted daughter, who calls herself Miaow. Last year's The Fourth Watcher was his best yet -- but his new one, Breathing Water, tops it. Hallinan's books are more ferocious than Burdett's, and he excels at creating truly frightening villains -- in this case, a gross but oddly touching multimillionaire, Khun Pan, the richest man in Thailand. The book begins with a high-stakes poker game, set up as a sting by Poke's cop friend, Arthit, against a couple of rich cheaters. But nobody is expecting the Big Guy (as Pan is called) to show up. "The three millionaires don't look alike, but they share the glaze that money brings, a sheen as thin and golden as the melted sugar on a doughnut," Rafferty says. Poke beats Pan badly and wins as a prize the chance to write the multimillionaire's much-sought-after biography. But many of Pan's rivals don't want the book to come out at all, especially just before an upcoming election. On the other side are rivals who want to expose Pan's darker secrets. Rafferty is in a very dangerous position. As Arthit says, "If it would clarify your situation to think about it visually, then imagine this: You're at the bottom of the Chao Phyra, wandering around on the riverbed without a map, and breathing water." --Dick Adler

Synopsis

Behind every great fortune is a great crime . . .

For American ex-pat writer Poke Rafferty, a late-night poker game delivers an unexpected prize: an "opportunity" to write the biography of Khun Pan, a flamboyant, vulgar, self-made billionaire with a criminal past and far-reaching political ambitions. The win seems like a stroke of luck, but as with so many things in vibrant, seductive, contradictory Bangkok—a city of innocence and evil, power and poverty—the allure of appearances masks something much darker. Within a few hours of folding his cards, Rafferty, his wife, Rose, beloved adopted daughter, Miaow, and best friend, Arthit, an honest Bangkok cop, have become pawns in a political struggle among some of Thailand's richest, most powerful, and most ruthless people.

A hero to the poor and dispossessed, Pan is like a bone in the throats of the beautiful, sophisticated "good" people who own and control every facet of Thailand and want more. There are many who would prefer that a book, especially a sympathetic book, stay unwritten. And there are others who want to expose Pan's darker secrets, information useful in a preemptive strike against this profligate billionaire who can threaten their hold on power—a situation they will go to murderous lengths to prevent.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, Rafferty is breathing water and sinking deeper in a sea of intrigue with each passing hour. The trouble multiplies when a missing young street friend of Miaow's reappears, needing Rafferty's help to protect an innocent village girl trapped in a baby-selling ring. Pushed ever closer to the abyss, Rafferty has one chance to get themall out alive. But to succeed, this foreigner must do the impossible—keep a cool Thai heart.

Set in the Thailand of today's headlines—a nation of unrest, political uncertainty, corruption, and tradition, where the future looks dangerously precarious—Breathing Water is the story of a deadly game in which the stakes are enormous and life is literally cheap. The most compelling Poke Rafferty thriller yet, it is a journey that goes beyond the illusion of order and stability into a world where a wrong turn can lead to chaos, and where love and courage may not be enough to hold back the darkness.

Publishers Weekly

In Hallinan's nicely paced third Bangkok thriller to feature writer Poke Rafferty (after The Fourth Water), Poke wins a bet to write the biography of Khun Pan, a major-league bad guy, after a dispute with Pan in a poker game. When local papers run big stories about the deal, a phone caller threatens Poke, his wife and his daughter if he goes ahead with the project. Soon afterward, Poke is forced into a car by gun-wielding men who demand he write the book, but based on interviews with people on a set list. Poke's efforts to keep himself alive amid competing interests move the plot along.A His sangfroid in the face of serious peril, reminiscent of Cary Grant's in North by Northwest, may strike some readers as out of place in a book that opens with a heartrending scene of a thug instructing a reluctant girl how to become a professional beggar by pinching an infant to make it cry to gain more sympathy. (Sept.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Biography

Timothy Hallinan has written ten novels and a work of nonfiction. He divides his time between Los Angeles and Southeast Asia, primarily Thailand, where he has lived off and on since 1985. For more than twenty years, he ran one of America's top television consulting firms, advising many Fortune 500 companies. He has also taught writing. Hallinan is married to Munyin Choy.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Okay, I still have more to post for our guest authors, but I wanted to get their books up at least. Back with more in a little while! (I'm not normally so frazzled - this is what happens when I'm gone for a week with a bad internet connection!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's more about Tim Hallinan:

Check out Tim's website, The Blog Cabin,  The Dickens Challenge, Finish Your Novel and read more of the following interview here

Please welcome July's featured author, Timothy Hallinan

Timothy's titles from his new Poke Rafferty series:    

The Fourth Watcher        A Nail Through the Heart

Timothy Hallinan has lived, on and off, in Southeast Asia for more than 25 years.  He wrote songs and sang in a rock band while in college, and many of his songs were recorded by well-known artists who included the platinum-selling group Bread.  He began writing books while enjoying a successful career in the television industry.  Over the past fourteen years he has been responsible for a number of well-reviewed novels and a nonfiction book on Charles Dickens. 

For years he has taught a course on “Finishing the Novel” with remarkable results – more than half his students complete their first novel and go on to a second, and several have been, or are about to be, published.  Tim currently maintains a house in Santa Monica, California, and apartments in Bangkok, Thailand; and Phnom Penh, Cambodia.  He is lucky enough to be married to Munyin Choy-Hallinan.

The Fourth Watcher is his second book featuring Poke Rafferty, an American expatriate writer living in Thailand with his lover, Rose, and their adopted daughter, Miaow. Following the critical success of the initial Rafferty entry, A Nail Through the Heart, and the well-received Simeon Grist series of detective novels, The Fourth Watcher both broadens and deepens the exploration of Rafferty’s family and his close friend, A Bangkok police colonel named Arthit.

Timothy Hallinan took some time from promoting The Fourth Watcher to answer some questions from New Mystery Reader contributor Dana King.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I found this photo of Tim visiting Nashville:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Meet "Michael Stanley's" Detective Kubu and check out other links here.

Michael Stanley is the writing team of Michael Sears and Stanley Trollip.

Both are retired professors who have worked in academia and business. Sears is a mathematician, specializing in geological remote sensing. Trollip is an educational psychologist, specializing in the application of computers to teaching and learning, and a pilot. They were both born in South Africa.

They have been on a number of flying safaris to Botswana and Zimbabwe, where it was always exciting to buzz a dirt airstrip to shoo the elephants off. They have had many adventures on these trips including tracking lions at night, fighting bush fires on the Savuti plains in northern Botswana, being charged by an elephant, and having their plane’s door pop open over the Kalahari, scattering navigation maps over the desert.. These trips have fed their love both for the bush, and for Botswana.

It was on one of these trips that the idea surfaced for a novel set in Botswana.

A Carrion Death is their first novel.