Author
Brett_Battles
0 Kudos

Re: It's a Double/Triple Feature: ROBERT GREGORY BROWNE & BRETT BATTLES!

maxcat wrote:

Welcome to you both to the forum. Poe sounds very interesting and though I've never read any of your books, I would be interested in that one. What a fun collaboration!

Thanks! It was, and continues to be, fun. 

Author
RobertGregoryBrowne
0 Kudos

And here he told me he wasn't worried at all. LIAR! :smileywink:

What Brett said.

We had been bouncing ideas off each other for so many years that it seemed like a good idea to do it on the same project.

My only concern was ego. We're typical creatives who have the usual issues about our worth as writers (writers are generally a mess), but we also both have healthy egos. So it was important to me that because we'd be rewriting each other, we needed to check our egos at the door. We had to treat the work as ruthlessly as we would if we were writing solo.
Robert Browne
Author of THE PARADISE PROPHECY (Dutton, July 2011)
Starred Review, Publishers Weekly
becke_davis
0 Kudos

RobertGregoryBrowne wrote:
And here he told me he wasn't worried at all. LIAR! :smileywink:

What Brett said.

We had been bouncing ideas off each other for so many years that it seemed like a good idea to do it on the same project.

My only concern was ego. We're typical creatives who have the usual issues about our worth as writers (writers are generally a mess), but we also both have healthy egos. So it was important to me that because we'd be rewriting each other, we needed to check our egos at the door. We had to treat the work as ruthlessly as we would if we were writing solo.

I know of a male and female who co-authored a book and just about drove each other insane! I'm pretty sure they're still friends, but after hearing about all they went through I thought it might be like juggling Jell-O.

Did you come up with a plan in advance - each of you doing certain POV scenes, for instance, or did you just wing it?

I guess I should have asked about each of your writing styles first. Do you plot your stories ahead of time or do you write generically?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brett_Battles wrote:

Becke, we're putting the print version together now. Figure it should be available in a week or two.

As for length of the series, we haven't put a limit on it yet. Want to see how it goes and do what feels right.

Yay! I often buy print and ebook copies of books I like, because I pass on the print books to mystery lovers in my family. I pretty much know who likes what, so I keep them well-stocked with my hand-me-down books! (And I buy new books for gifts - in my family, everyone knows they're going to get books from me, no matter what the occasion is.)

Author
Brett_Battles
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Did you come up with a plan in advance - each of you doing certain POV scenes, for instance, or did you just wing it?

I guess I should have asked about each of your writing styles first. Do you plot your stories ahead of time or do you write generically?

Second part, first...Typically, I don't do much of an outline. I have the idea in mind, kind of know where I want to go, but not necessarily how I'm going to get there, and I write. This works great for me. But in this case (answering your first question), it was a must to develope an outline we both agreed upon. That way neither of us would be surprised. Once we had that we talked about how we were going to proceed from there. Initially we thought we'd trade off chapters or parts as we went along, but because of scheduling, I freed up first and, by agreement, just started working. I ended up writing the first draft, with many, many calls to Rob to go over any problem areas and to work out plot points, then Rob did a thorough rewrite. After that, we did a polish pass where we worked out the last of this problem areas and smoothed remaining rough edges. It's worked well for us, so on the next book, we'll flop roles. 

Author
RobertGregoryBrowne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Neither of us are in the habit of outlining before we start writing, but we knew it would be absolutely necessary for this project. We needed to make sure we were on the same page, so to speak, plotwise. 

The idea was one that I'd had cooking for years and had never gotten around to writing, but Brett took the idea and worked out an outline and we went back and forth a bit until we agreed on the basic structure and scenes. Then Brett wrote the first draft. 

When he was done, I went through and did a rewrite, adding character insights and dialogue when I felt it was necessary, and when that was done, it went back to Brett for the final polish.

With the next book, I'll be doing the first draft and Brett will do the rewrite. And we'll go back and forth like that with each book in the series. We had considered working chapter by chapter, but figured it would a lot easier to stay consistent with tone and character if we traded entire drafts instead.

Robert Browne
Author
RobertGregoryBrowne
0 Kudos

Ha. I see Brett already answered the question, so I'm late to the party!
Robert Browne
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Robert and Brett, Welcome, Hope you have a great visit. What made you decide to write a book together?  It looks really good. I will have to check it out.

I like finding new mystery writers.

So have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

Author
Brett_Battles
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Robert and Brett, Welcome, Hope you have a great visit. What made you decide to write a book together?  

Hi Patti...Thanks, it's been great so far! Rob and I have been friends since we both had our debut novels come out in 2007. Over the years we've often helped each other work out story issues and talked through potential plots and generally helped each other out with projects. A couple of years ago, after seeing some other writing friends do something similar, we started talking about writing a book together. It took a while to settle on which story, and even more to find a whole in our schedule, but we're glad we eventually were able to work everything out.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brett_Battles wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Second part, first...Typically, I don't do much of an outline. I have the idea in mind, kind of know where I want to go, but not necessarily how I'm going to get there, and I write. This works great for me. But in this case (answering your first question), it was a must to develope an outline we both agreed upon. That way neither of us would be surprised. Once we had that we talked about how we were going to proceed from there. Initially we thought we'd trade off chapters or parts as we went along, but because of scheduling, I freed up first and, by agreement, just started working. I ended up writing the first draft, with many, many calls to Rob to go over any problem areas and to work out plot points, then Rob did a thorough rewrite. After that, we did a polish pass where we worked out the last of this problem areas and smoothed remaining rough edges. It's worked well for us, so on the next book, we'll flop roles. 

I'm fascinated with this process! It bodes well for your friendship that this worked so smoothly for you both.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Since you both write books of your own, how do decide which ones get the priority? Is that determined by your deadlines?

Author
RobertGregoryBrowne
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Since you both write books of your own, how do decide which ones get the priority? Is that determined by your deadlines?

Well, in the case with the first Poe, I was (and still am) in the middle of writing a sequel to Trial Junkies, so it only made sense that Brett take the lead on the first book. I did, however, set the sequel aside for a while to work on the Poe rewrite. Now, once I'm finished with Negligence (TJ#2), Brett and I will brainstorm ideas, write an outline, then I'll get to work on Poe #2. 

Brett is very good about keeping to schedules. Me, not so much. But he has inspired me. :smileywink:

Robert Browne
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Well, in the case with the first Poe, I was (and still am) in the middle of writing a sequel to Trial Junkies, so it only made sense that Brett take the lead on the first book. I did, however, set the sequel aside for a while to work on the Poe rewrite. Now, once I'm finished with Negligence (TJ#2), Brett and I will brainstorm ideas, write an outline, then I'll get to work on Poe #2. 

Brett is very good about keeping to schedules. Me, not so much. But he has inspired me. :smileywink:

Do you have a release date for Negligence? Cool title - it makes me curious to know what it's about!

Author
Brett_Battles
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I have several series I write, so I usually alternate between them. On the last several books, I've been concentrating on my two most popular series, my Jonathan Quinn thrillers, and my Project Eden thrillers. Working on the next Quinn right now. It's called THE ENRAGED and will hopefully be out late May. After that it's the fifth Project Eden novel, EDEN RISING, with an anticipated release date in late June/early July. 

Rob's right, I am really focused on schedule. I usually know three or more books out what I'll be working on when. This helps me stay on course and complete projects on the deadlines that I set.

Author
RobertGregoryBrowne
0 Kudos

Do you have a release date for Negligence? Cool title - it makes me curious to know what it's about!

No release date set yet. Hopefully sometime soon. This is one of those books that I've been agonizing over (it happens sometimes) and have probably been too much of a perfectionist about, so I want it to be just right before it gets released into the wild.

Robert Browne
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brett_Battles wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I have several series I write, so I usually alternate between them. On the last several books, I've been concentrating on my two most popular series, my Jonathan Quinn thrillers, and my Project Eden thrillers. Working on the next Quinn right now. It's called THE ENRAGED and will hopefully be out late May. After that it's the fifth Project Eden novel, EDEN RISING, with an anticipated release date in late June/early July. 

Rob's right, I am really focused on schedule. I usually know three or more books out what I'll be working on when. This helps me stay on course and complete projects on the deadlines that I set.

Congratulations on being able to stay that focused! That's a rare talent.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

No release date set yet. Hopefully sometime soon. This is one of those books that I've been agonizing over (it happens sometimes) and have probably been too much of a perfectionist about, so I want it to be just right before it gets released into the wild.

Is it too soon for a blurb?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the post, I just added a ton of books to my wishlist.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Thank you so much for the post, I just added a ton of books to my wishlist.

I feel like we need a national holiday just for reading! My to-be-read pile is depressingly big.

Author
RobertGregoryBrowne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is it too soon for a blurb?

A little early. All I can say is that the Trial Junkies gang is back, sticking their noses in a new murder case and they get some surprises along the way.

Robert Browne