Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


williekent wrote:

Eadie, the amnesia thing was tremendously eye-opening.  First of all, it brought home to roost how fragile we all are.  At any moment, without warning, something can go terribly wrong.  I'll use it in a story, of course, someday when I figure out how to make it work in the plot.  But then, isn't everything in author's life fodder for the imagination?

Kent


WillieKent, I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for joining us here. I see that eadie beat me to the question about the amnesia episode. So glad it turned out to be temporary, or it wouldn't be so funny! Anyway, I think that of course you will find a way to work that episode into one of your books. Wouldn't it be funny(peculiar, that is) if a murderer got that and didn't remember what he or she had done? Or a witness to a crime? I bet you can think of a number of ways that could be spun into some plot line!

OK I see those are more comments than a question, so here's a question for you:

Have you ever gotten revenge on someone you really dislike(relative, -ex-friend, or foe) by putting them into one of your books as a murder victim?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
williekent
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-06-2012

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Personally, I haven't.  But I once auctioned off a character name at a charity affair.  I let everyone know the character was going to come to a very bad, probably grisly, end.  So the winning bidder could kill off anyone who, in real life, they wanted dead.  I've never had the bidding for a character name be so lively or the price go so high.  So maybe I should begin a little sideline killing off in fiction those people whom others, in real life, would like to see dead.

Kent

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


williekent wrote:

First of all a big thanks to Becke for her invitation to join the book cruise this week.  I know she'll do a fine job captaining me through this new experience.

 

I'm available to answer any of those pesky questions that may have been burning in your brains, about the new Cork O'Connor novel, TRICKSTER'S POINT, or any other territory you'd like to cover.

 

Briefly, TRICKSTER'S POINT is the 12th book in my series, which is set in the great Northwoods of Minnesota.  It's a rumination on politics and the kind of people drawn to the political arena and who become successful there.  It's allowed me, in advance of an important election this fall, to take a few potshots at politicians in general.  Love the opening of this book, the first line especially: "The dying don't easily become the dead."

 

So, with that, I'll turn the podium over to all of you.  Let's have some fun!

Kent

 

 


I love the image of the Mystery Forum as a cruise ship! Turns out someone else had the same idea:

 

 

http://my.opera.com/SofiaMarshmallow/blog/2010/05/27/mystery-cruise-game-solve-a-mystery-on-the-high...

 

What do you think - me on the left, Kent on the right? Use your imaginations...

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


williekent wrote:

Personally, I haven't.  But I once auctioned off a character name at a charity affair.  I let everyone know the character was going to come to a very bad, probably grisly, end.  So the winning bidder could kill off anyone who, in real life, they wanted dead.  I've never had the bidding for a character name be so lively or the price go so high.  So maybe I should begin a little sideline killing off in fiction those people whom others, in real life, would like to see dead.

Kent


I've noticed a lot of authors auctioning off opportunities to have a character named after the highest bidder. In your experience, do most people want their name on a villain, a victim or a "good guy?"

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,287
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Now I know I need to read it soon.  I picked it up because I'm from Two Harbors, and I have great memories of the Boundary Water area as a kid.  I now live in Kansas, so it's nice to revisit home, even if it's in a book.


williekent wrote:
Ryan, I hope you enjoy it. It's one my favorites. Kent

 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

[ Edited ]

I am going to read "Boundary Waters " soon too Ryan !

 

In "NorthWest Angle" You open the story with a description of a Derecho. And you describe the sudden destruction and aftermath of one hitting Cork and Jenny when they are in a small boat. And the enormity of the situation that Cork and Jenny were in, being in such isolated devastation.  Did you see the area of the real Derecho yourself ? 

 

Optic

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


optic_i wrote:

I am going to read "Boundary Waters " soon too Ryan !

 

In "NorthWest Angle" You open the story with a description of a Derecho. And you describe the sudden destruction and aftermath of one hitting Cork and Jenny when they are in a small boat. And the enormity of the situation that Cork and Jenny were in, being in such isolated devastation.  Did you see the area of the real Derecho yourself ? 

 

Optic


I remember that some of this summer's storms were described as Derechos. Have you been caught up in one in real life?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,287
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

If you get to it before I do, I want to hear all about it.


optic_i wrote:

I am going to read "Boundary Waters " soon too Ryan !

 

In "NorthWest Angle" You open the story with a description of a Derecho. And you describe the sudden destruction and aftermath of one hitting Cork and Jenny when they are in a small boat. And the enormity of the situation that Cork and Jenny were in, being in such isolated devastation.  Did you see the area of the real Derecho yourself ? 

 

Optic


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Scribe
ReadingPatti
Posts: 2,523
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Welcome, WIlliam, I hope your have a great visit. I have never read any of your but will check them out. THey sound interesting.

 

Have a nice visit.

 

ReadingPatti

Author
williekent
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-06-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Almost everyone wants to be a bad guy.  Most folks in real life do their best to be good.  I think they enjoy being vicariously bad.

Kent

Author
williekent
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-06-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

I visited the Boundary Waters a few months later.  The devastation just blew me away.  Huge swaths of trees cut down like a great lawn mower had gone through.  Terribly sad at first, but what I realized was that even in the short time since the destruction had taken place, the wilderness was healing itself--new growth, new life everywhere.  Nature is remarkably resilient.

Kent

Author
williekent
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-06-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Thanks, Patti!
Kent
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


williekent wrote:

I visited the Boundary Waters a few months later.  The devastation just blew me away.  Huge swaths of trees cut down like a great lawn mower had gone through.  Terribly sad at first, but what I realized was that even in the short time since the destruction had taken place, the wilderness was healing itself--new growth, new life everywhere.  Nature is remarkably resilient.

Kent


I remember reading a feature in National Geographic on the reforestation of Yellowstone after a big fire. It was really miraculous how quickly new growth appeared.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Kent - What are you working on now? Is it too early to give away any details?

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

[ Edited ]

I will Ryan !  I also want to hear what you thought of "Boundary Waters "  It must have been a great place to grow up in. 

 

Kent, you said" Boundary Waters" was your favorite. What makes it your favorite one ? 

 

Optic

Author
williekent
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-06-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Becke, I've completed a novel that's not a part of my series.  It's called ORDINARY GRACE, and it's the best thing I've ever written.  It takes place in the summer of 1961 in a small town deep in the beautiful Minnesota River Valley.  It's the story of a Methodist minister whose beloved child is murdered.  That's the compelling mystery part.  The compelling emotional element is watching how that terrible tragedy affects his faith, his family, and ultimately the entire fabric of the small town in which he lives.  It's due out next March.  Of course, I'm also at work on the next Cork O'Connor novel.  It's titled TAMARACK COUNTY, and I'm having a ball writing it.

Kent

Author
williekent
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-06-2012

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Ryan, I didn't say that BOUNDARY WATERS is my favorite, but that it's one of my favorites.   (My absolute favorite is THUNDER BAY.)  What I like about BOUNDARY WATERS is that, for me, it was an exploration of suspense.  I wanted to understand how you create suspense, how you heighten suspense, how long you keep a reader in suspense before giving the payoff.  It was a wonderful learning experience.  I also got to write about the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota.  There's no place on earth more beautiful.

Kent

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!

Kent:

 

I finished IRON LAKE and enjoyed it very much. I was really surprised about what happened to Paul and what he was capable of doing. Liked the twists and turns which kept it a real page-turner. Lots of other surprises which I didn't expect.

 

I have BOUNDARY WATERS on ordered and I am definitely working my way through your series for sure! Can't wait to see what happens with Cork and Jo's relationship in the next book!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


williekent wrote:

Becke, I've completed a novel that's not a part of my series.  It's called ORDINARY GRACE, and it's the best thing I've ever written.  It takes place in the summer of 1961 in a small town deep in the beautiful Minnesota River Valley.  It's the story of a Methodist minister whose beloved child is murdered.  That's the compelling mystery part.  The compelling emotional element is watching how that terrible tragedy affects his faith, his family, and ultimately the entire fabric of the small town in which he lives.  It's due out next March.  Of course, I'm also at work on the next Cork O'Connor novel.  It's titled TAMARACK COUNTY, and I'm having a ball writing it.

Kent


Oh wow, Kent, I wish B&N had that up for preorder right now! When I started getting into genealogy I was surprised to find generation after generation of Methodist ministers on BOTH sides of my family. One of my ancestors, a minister, lost his firstborn son and wrote about it in a journal that's been passed down for over 100 years. It wasn't a murder, but the results were similar. The worst part was that his son died when he was on a medical leave during the Civil War - he nearly died, not from wounds but from illness - and he had to go back to war two days after his son died. They did a rushed funeral and buried his son just hours before he had to board the train.

 

Kent - you mention this is the best thing you've written. Is there anything you've written (pre-publication, presumably) that you never want to see the light of day? (For instance, I found some things I wrote as a teenager that would be great blackmail fodder, they were so awful.)

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER!


williekent wrote:

Ryan, I didn't say that BOUNDARY WATERS is my favorite, but that it's one of my favorites.   (My absolute favorite is THUNDER BAY.)  What I like about BOUNDARY WATERS is that, for me, it was an exploration of suspense.  I wanted to understand how you create suspense, how you heighten suspense, how long you keep a reader in suspense before giving the payoff.  It was a wonderful learning experience.  I also got to write about the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota.  There's no place on earth more beautiful.

Kent


What was it about THUNDER BAY that makes it your favorite? Was it the easiest to write?