becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome ANDREW GROSS, Father's Day Recommendation for June 15

[ Edited ]

Father's Day Comments from Dolliecrave.com
Father's Day Comments

Whew, I couldn't sign in last night so I apologize for the delay in posting Andrew's introduction!

I know he has a lot of fans here.

Anyway, without further ado, please welcome ANDREW GROSS. New York Times Best Selling Author and Co-Author of Six #1 Thrillers with James Patterson!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please welcome ANDREW GROSS, Father's Day Recommendation for June 15

Reckless 

Synopsis

Ty Hauck is shattered by the news. A close friend from his past, along with her husband and daughter, has been brutally murdered in her home by vicious intruders. Now he will risk everything he loves to avenge her death. . . .

A wealthy banker, seeing his world about to crumble around him, knows his family is in unfathomable danger. . . .

A U.S. government agent watches the sudden bank transfers of millions in cash and suspects that this is the first step in a plot to unleash a wave of global panic. . . .

Ty Hauck hunts the murderer of a friend - and steps into the crosshairs of a sinister conspiracy -in this most electrifying novel yet from New York Times bestselling thriller master Andrew Gross

Private security investigator Ty Hauck, with Naomi Blum, a tenacious agent from the U.S. Department of Treasury, unravels the evidence that joins these seemingly unrelated events - revealing a reckless scheme that stretches from New York to London to central Europe and gives new meaning to the phrase "too big to fail." What began with a tragedy that opened a door to Hauck's past - a door that he thought was long closed - ends with a frantic race to avert a disaster that could shake the very security of our country - and even the world.

Publishers Weekly

Former police detective Ty Hauck, now a partner in a worldwide security company, displays his usual bulldog tenacity in bestseller Gross’s sketchily plotted third Ty Hauck novel (after Don’t Look Twice). The murders of Marc Glassman, the chief equities trader at an old Wall Street firm, Glassman’s wife, and one of their children at their Greenwich, Conn., home affect Hauck deeply. Meanwhile, his boss asks him to investigate shadowy financier Dieter Thibault, who’s aroused the interest of a valued customer. Probing the connections among seismic disturbances in the financial markets, Glassman’s death, and Thibault’s actions, Hauck teams with Treasury agent Naomi Blum only to find their every action anticipated and countered. Against international conspiracies and financial institutions in freefall, Hauck and Blum have to go rogue. 

Biography

Andrew Gross is the author of the New York Times and international bestsellers The Blue Zone and The Dark Tide, and coauthor of five number one bestselling novels with James Patterson, including Judge & JuryLifeguard, and The Jester. Gross lives in Westchester County, New York, with his wife, Lynn. They have three children.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Blue Zone by Andrew Gross

This is interview is featured here.

Let’s set the scene: You’ve left a pretty good job (world-wide president of HEAD Sports) to follow the questionable urge to write the great conspiracy novel of 1997 (about the religious-right’s takeover of the U.S. - I know now, more the subject of non-fiction). You’ve just received your twenty-second rejection slip, exhorting your agent to root out other publishers, (to which he replies: “Andy, there are no other publishers…”), and your wife’s cheerful optimism of the past two years is drying up like a rain shower in Mojave in July. You’re sort of sitting around, contemplating which cliff to drive your Audi off, (bemoaning the fact you live at sea level), when out of nowhere the phone rings, and it’s your agent, asking, “Can you talk to James Patterson. He’d like to have a word with you.”

“I think I can fit him in,” you say, counting to five before fully committing as not to appear too desperate. (Okay, three.)

The call that changed my writing life.

Completely unbeknownst, the top editor (now president) at one of houses who rejected me, didn’t chuck my book in the circular can. Instead, she passed it along to her top-selling author, Patterson, sagely noting, “This guy does women well!” (Something my wife’s been insisting ever since is a gross overstatement.)

Six books later, all #1 bestsellers, I’d written about women crime fighters in San Francisco; an inspired innkeeper in France in the fourteenth century who becomes a court jester to search for his abducted wife; a likeable loser in Palm Beach thrust in the center of a multiple homicide; and a single mother whose son is murdered in retaliation by a vicious mobster—and who sets out to find her revenge. I grew accustomed to seeing my books read as the morning paper on airplanes, my name atop the bestseller lists, even receiving a check or two from projects sold to film. As a writer, I was about as lucky as one of my own characters, leaping the span of a rising drawbridge on a motorcycle, knocking off the bad guy, finding the girl. 

Except somewhere the urge toward illogic managed to snip at me again. Time to do my own thing, the little voice told me.  Which brings us to The Blue Zone, at last.

People always ask, “Where do you get your ideas? How do books start—in the brain?” Well, this one started with a simple dinner party, sitting across from this obnoxious, boastful guy (his and her Ferraris, a dazzling stone on his wife’s ubiquitous hand, oodles and oodles of lavish travel.) And as we left, with a slightly jealous roll of the eyes, it was not too many days later that we opened the New York Times to discover, not without some amusement) that this very person had been arrested for money laundering by the FBI.

But then the thought started to percolate, this could be anyone. Anyone we know in our suburban ease. Respected. Seemingly careless. Kids in the right schools. Their biggest concern basically, where to travel on their next trip. And then suddenly how life changes in a nanosecond. Not for the perpetrator, who’s known who he is all along). But for the people left behind. The family. The kids. Whose tranquil life slams to a crashing halt.  Who are forced to deal with the shock and the shame.

In this case, the betrayal.

The Blue Zone is basically a story of betrayal - the most personal kind of betrayal. Between a father and a daughter’s trust.

It’s the story of Kate Raab, a recent graduate of Brown University, who seems to have everything—great family, terrific job out of school, a likeable boyfriend. Until the arc of her carefree life ends in a day with her successful father’s arrest. And he is forced, in days, (along with the rest of her family) into the Federal Witness Protection Program. Kate decides to remain behind, where gradually unsavory things begin to happen to her, which cast doubt on who her father really is, and she has to hunt for him inside the secrecy of the Program, and not only find out the truth of who her father really is, but her entire family history as well.

Now while I think you’ll recognize many of the traits I learned with Jim—the unrelenting pace, the stunning twists and surprises, the strong identification with the plight of a likeable lead character, not figuring out what’s going to happen until the final page—my goal was never to simply copy him. Or his style. In fact, I think you’ll find a lot more texture, more character, and hopefully, an emotional pay-off at the end. This is the type of book I hope to continue writing. Page turners but thrillers with a heart.

So I hope this “bright idea” works as well as my previous “bright idea,” though sometimes not in the way I, at first, intended. It’s a little weird not working with Jim. No partner to discuss the many twists of the novel with. No lavish book events with throngs of people queued up in the street. No waking up a few days after publication and seeing your book and the top of the bestseller lists.

No airport traffic reading it like The Daily Sun.

Still, I think you’ll find the The Blue Zone a great read. And basically it all developed from the best “rejection” I ever had.

© 2007 Andrew Gross

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

OKAY, SO I WASN'T ALWAYS A THRILLER WRITER 

Who was? I actually did major in English at Middlebury, but after an MBA from Columbia, and a stint at the Leslie Fay Companies, a women's clothing firm started by my grandfather, I went into the sports apparel field. I ended up president of HEAD Ski and Tennis (to brag: we grew to #1 in America in both businesses while I was there) and later, le coq sportif, a French sports fashion line. It was one-too-many turnaround situations or more precisely--one that didn't turn around, that hastened my writing career. 

SO HOW'D YOU MEET JAMES PATTERSON?

Truth is, he called. Out of nowhere. An editor had given him the manuscript of a novel I was hoping to publish, HYDRA. At that point, I would have been elated if my gate guard (we live in a gated community) dialed in with a little praise. Jim said he had read the book and asked if we could meet for breakfast. He said he had several projects he wanted to write and not enough time to do them. I had the incredible foresight to say yes.

SO WHAT'S IT LIKE TO WORK WITH PATTERSON?

It was like a combination MFA and MBA rolled into one. He knows what kind of stories he wants to tell, has a keen sense of what will appeal to his readers, especially women, what's vital in a scene for it to succeed, knows exactly when the scene needs more--or generally, less! And he's an even better editor than he is a writer. Hopefully, I've learned a few things from him along the way.

SO WHAT HAPPENED?

I figured we'd do one book. It led to six in seven years. The Women's Murder Club Series became one of the leading crime series of all time! My personal favorite was The Jester set in the thirteenth century in France. If you missed it, I really recommend you go back and take a read. Lifeguard had a great, likeable hero with the odds all stacked against him. Judge & Jury, our last together, is coming out July 31, 2006. 

HOW DOES A WRITING PARTNERSHIP LIKE THAT WORK?

We alternate every word.

(Jim's line, actually.) To be honest, we always began with a concept and an outline that came from him, which we fleshed out into a detailed chapter- by-chapter outline. (Some chapters longer than in the actual book!) No writer's block here, the roadmap was always there. Every day, I knew exactly where I was going. That call from Jim changed my writing life!

SO WHAT'S NEXT?

In 2005, I signed a three book deal with William Morrow. The Blue Zone was published in Spring 2007, The Dark Tide will be on sale in March 2008, and stay tuned for number 3! 

WHAT'S THE SINGLE, MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN A CAREER CHANGE LIKE THIS?

A supportive wife!

And I have one, in Lynn. Never once did she tell me I was out of my mind. (At least, not to my face!) 

We live in Westchester County, New York. We have three terrific kids. Kristen's out of college, in the apparel biz, a natural. Matt's in college in D.C. And Nick, a squash player, goes to school in Connecticut. We share our house with a couple of Westies too.

By the way, having a Mom who believes in you all the way is good too!

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS?

If I had to start with a couple of writerly things... Dog Soldiers, by Robert Stone, All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren, (Read it as a search for one's father, not as politics.) Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy & Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

WHAT ABOUT IN YOUR OWN GENRE?

Sorry, Jim anything by Alan Furst or Robert Wilson. They both deserve much wider acclaim. When it comes to classic thrillers, The Wind-Chill Factor by Thomas Gifford and Tears of Autumn by Charles McCarry are my favorites.

DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE QUOTE?

"Some people think they can and some think they can't and they're probably both right!" Henry Ford

"You can do anything you want in life, anything, if you want to badly enough."
Fred P. Pomerantz. My grandfather.

WHAT IS THE BEST SIDE BENEFIT FROM SEEING YOUR NAME AT THE TOP OF THE BESTSELLER LIST?

A hell of a lot easier commute.

Find me on MySpace at: www.myspace.com/andrewgrossbooks 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

OKAY, SO I WASN'T ALWAYS A THRILLER WRITER 

Who was? I actually did major in English at Middlebury, but after an MBA from Columbia, and a stint at the Leslie Fay Companies, a women's clothing firm started by my grandfather, I went into the sports apparel field. I ended up president of HEAD Ski and Tennis (to brag: we grew to #1 in America in both businesses while I was there) and later, le coq sportif, a French sports fashion line. It was one-too-many turnaround situations or more precisely--one that didn't turn around, that hastened my writing career. 

SO HOW'D YOU MEET JAMES PATTERSON?

Truth is, he called. Out of nowhere. An editor had given him the manuscript of a novel I was hoping to publish, HYDRA. At that point, I would have been elated if my gate guard (we live in a gated community) dialed in with a little praise. Jim said he had read the book and asked if we could meet for breakfast. He said he had several projects he wanted to write and not enough time to do them. I had the incredible foresight to say yes.

SO WHAT'S IT LIKE TO WORK WITH PATTERSON?

It was like a combination MFA and MBA rolled into one. He knows what kind of stories he wants to tell, has a keen sense of what will appeal to his readers, especially women, what's vital in a scene for it to succeed, knows exactly when the scene needs more--or generally, less! And he's an even better editor than he is a writer. Hopefully, I've learned a few things from him along the way.

SO WHAT HAPPENED?

I figured we'd do one book. It led to six in seven years. The Women's Murder Club Series became one of the leading crime series of all time! My personal favorite was The Jester set in the thirteenth century in France. If you missed it, I really recommend you go back and take a read. Lifeguard had a great, likeable hero with the odds all stacked against him. Judge & Jury, our last together, is coming out July 31, 2006. 

HOW DOES A WRITING PARTNERSHIP LIKE THAT WORK?

We alternate every word.

(Jim's line, actually.) To be honest, we always began with a concept and an outline that came from him, which we fleshed out into a detailed chapter- by-chapter outline. (Some chapters longer than in the actual book!) No writer's block here, the roadmap was always there. Every day, I knew exactly where I was going. That call from Jim changed my writing life!

SO WHAT'S NEXT?

In 2005, I signed a three book deal with William Morrow. The Blue Zone was published in Spring 2007, The Dark Tide will be on sale in March 2008, and stay tuned for number 3! 

WHAT'S THE SINGLE, MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN A CAREER CHANGE LIKE THIS?

A supportive wife!

And I have one, in Lynn. Never once did she tell me I was out of my mind. (At least, not to my face!) 

We live in Westchester County, New York. We have three terrific kids. Kristen's out of college, in the apparel biz, a natural. Matt's in college in D.C. And Nick, a squash player, goes to school in Connecticut. We share our house with a couple of Westies too.

By the way, having a Mom who believes in you all the way is good too!

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS?

If I had to start with a couple of writerly things... Dog Soldiers, by Robert Stone, All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren, (Read it as a search for one's father, not as politics.) Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy & Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

WHAT ABOUT IN YOUR OWN GENRE?

Sorry, Jim anything by Alan Furst or Robert Wilson. They both deserve much wider acclaim. When it comes to classic thrillers, The Wind-Chill Factor by Thomas Gifford and Tears of Autumn by Charles McCarry are my favorites.

DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE QUOTE?

"Some people think they can and some think they can't and they're probably both right!" Henry Ford

"You can do anything you want in life, anything, if you want to badly enough."
Fred P. Pomerantz. My grandfather.

WHAT IS THE BEST SIDE BENEFIT FROM SEEING YOUR NAME AT THE TOP OF THE BESTSELLER LIST?

A hell of a lot easier commute.

Find me on MySpace at: www.myspace.com/andrewgrossbooks 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

June 2010
KTOK-AM/ KHBZ-FM Oklahoma City Morning Show Interview

Click here to listen to the interview

May 22, 2010 Madison County Herald
By J.C. Patterson 

Follow Andy:

On Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andrew-Gross/36316262379

On Twitter:

http://twitter.com/the_andrewgross

On Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8214.Andrew_Gross

On Library Thing:

http://www.librarything.com/profile/AndrewGross

His website is here: http://www.andrewgrossbooks.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

(Andrew is the last of several authors featured here)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author Spotlight: Andrew Gross

Andrew Gross, PCL's 2008 "Annual Summer Celebrity," specializes in thrillers. He has co-written several books with James Patterson, including 3rd Degree and The Lifeguard, and penned three solo best-sellers, including his latest Don't Look Twice. Here are five fun facts about this popular author:

1. The Jester is his personal favorite of the books he has written with James Patterson.
2. At one time, he was president of HEAD Ski and Tennis, a manufacturer and marketer of premium sports equipment, and then Le Coq Sportif, a French sports fashion line.
3. One of his favorite quotes is "Some people think they can and some think they can't and they're probably both right!" - Henry Ford.
4. He owns two dogs - Westies, to be exact.
5. Some of his favorite books include Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates,The Wind-Chill Factor by Thomas Gifford and Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PLEASE WELCOME NYT BEST SELLING AUTHOR

ANDREW GROSS!!

I forgot to mention that you can follow Andy's blog here: http://andrewgross.wordpress.com/

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Andrew!

I haven't read any of your books before but I just started your book, "Don't Look Twice". I am on Chapter 12 and find it very hard to put down. I like the way you write - right to the point and not a lot of wasted words. I like the short chapters too. It seems like the action move fast and things are happening all the time. Looking forward to finishing your book today!

Thanks for stopping in and visiting with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis

I want to apologize for the late posting of this intro. As most of you already know, the site crashed or froze up or something last night and wouldn't let anyone in. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't just Patti and me who were blocked!!) The gremlins must have been having a party!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Andrew (or should we call you Andy?) - Thanks so much for joining us, especially since I know you've had a hectic week going cross country.

I'm very excited to have you with us because you've got a lot of fans here! **I'm curious how you connected with James Patterson. Did he read something you'd written and then invite you to co-author a book,did you introduce yourself and suggest it, or did you have to audition?**

Cancel that - I was just going back and reading the interviews, and I see that he called you out of the blue. I'm trying to get my head around that - had you read his books when that happened? Did you realize what a big thing that was? 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Andy, Hi

Oh wow folks I love Andy's novels. I had the privilege to first meet him when Harper Collins still had their own version of first look and I was picked to read the pre-published The Dark Tide.

Gosh I fell in love with his writing style and his characters. 

Andy I've been a fan ever since and try to steer everyone I know in your direction too.

Welcome and Happy Father's Day