Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome author LIBBY FISCHER HELLMANN

July is a Ladies' Month here at B&N's Mystery, and our first guest is Chicago author LIBBY FISCHER HELLMANN.

Libby Fischer Hellmann

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please welcome author LIBBY FISCHER HELLMANN

Libby Fischer Hellmann

About Libby

According to the Chicago Tribune, "There's a new no-nonsense detective in town... Tough and smart enough to give even the legendary V.I. Warshawski a run for her money." They were referring to Georgia Davis, Libby Hellmann's PI protagonist in Easy Innocence. Now Davis returns, paired with Ellie Foreman, in Hellmann's sixth crime fiction thriller, Doubleback (Bleak House Books, October 2009).

Easy Innocence, which garnered excellent reviews from Kirkus, the Tribune, and a starred review in Library Journal, was a spin-off of Hellmann's Ellie Foreman series, which made its debut in 2002 with An Eye For Murder.Publishers Weekly called Eye a "masterful blend of politics, history, and suspense." Kirkuscalled Ellie "the true stuff of working-mom sleuths." The book was nominated for an Anthony Award for Best First and won the Readers' Choice award for Best First at the Love is Murder conference.

The second Ellie Foreman novel, A Picture Of Guilt, won the Reader's Choice award for Best Traditional Series at the 2004 Love is Murder conference, and was a finalist in the Benjamin Franklin Awards. An Image Of Death, the third book in the series was released in February, 2004. Publishers Weekly called it "a powerful tale," and the Chicago Sun-Times"recommends it highly, even if you don't live in Illinois." Her fourth novel, A Shot To Die For, was released in September, 2005. The Chicago Sun-Times raved, saying "Hellmann reaches next level with latest mystery novel." It won the Readers Choice Award for Best Traditional Novel at the Love is Murder conference.

Libby also writes short stories. "House Rules" (Murder in Vegas, Forge) was nominated for an Agatha and Anthony Award in 2006. She also edited a highly praised crime fiction anthology, Chicago Blues, which was released by Bleak House Books in October, 2007.

In 2005-2006 she was the National President of Sisters in Crime, a 3400 plus member organization committed to strengthening the voice of female mystery writers. She also blogs with "The Outfit Collective" at theoutfitcollective.com.

When not writing, Libby conducts speaker training programs in platform speaking, presentation skills, media training, and crisis communications. She also writes and produces videos. A transplant from Washington, D.C., Libby has lived in the Chicago area over thirty years. She has a Masters Degree in Film Production from New York University, and a BA in history from the U. of Pennsylvania.

All content © Libby Fischer Hellmann. Photo of Libby by Jason Creps.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Chicago Blues 

Chicago Blues

cover

Edited by Libby Fischer Hellmann

Featuring stories by Sara Paretsky, Stuart Kaminsky, Barbara D'Amato, Max Allan Collins, Marcus Sakey, Sean Chercover, Michael Black, JA Konrath, Libby Fischer Hellmann, and others

Blue is the new noir, and nobody does Blues like Chicago. This collection of dark stories, from today's best Chicago crime fiction authors, captures the depths to which people sink when they run out of options. The emptiness and pain spawned by greed. The violence—or occasionally, the bittersweet redemption—that springs from a broken heart.

Praise for Chicago Blues:

"A monument in words to this funky, mysterious and eternal American city... a fine collection."
—Luis Alberto Urrea, author, The Hummingbird's Daughter

"Extraordinary... Chicago Blues is a splendid bedside book, to be enjoyed for a long time."
Chicago Tribune [read full review]

"Classy... This impressive volume has soul, grit and plenty of high notes..." 
Publishers Weekly [read full review]

"Twenty-one excellent reasons to stay out of the Windy City..." 
Kirkus Reviews [read full review]

"A strong sense of place, layered characters, and evocative prose..." 
Chicago Sun-Times [read full story]

"Gritty, excellent... has my highest recommendation!" 
Midwest Book Review

"An impressive group of stories... an amazing group of authors..." 
Crimespree Magazine

Chicago Blues was named the "pick of the week" by both Crime Fiction Dossier andJanuary Magazine!

"A solid anthology of crime stories... the batting average of Chicago Blues is definitely higher than most."
—Crime Fiction Dossier [read full review]

"A collection with big shoulders..."
—January Magazine

"What a gem this collection written entirely by Chicago authors is..."
Barbara Peters, Poisoned Pen Staff Recommendations

Bleak House Books
Listen to an interview with Libby and Bleak House publisher Benjamin LeRoy from WGN's Rick Kogan Show
Listen to Libby read from her story from Chicago Blues on the Paul A. Toth Podcast

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Doubleback

cover

Doubleback is a Fall Great Lakes, Great Reads Pick!

Little Molly Messenger is kidnapped on a sunny June morning. Three days later she's returned, apparently unharmed. Molly's mother, Chris, is so grateful to have her daughter back that she's willing to overlook the odd circumstances.

A few days later, the brakes go out on Chris's car.

An accident? Maybe. Except that it turns out that Chris, the IT manager at a large Chicago bank, may have misappropriated three million dollars. Not convinced that his daughter is safe, Molly's father hires PI Georgia Davis to follow the money and investigate Chris's death.

Doubleback reunites PI Georgia Davis with video producer Ellie Foreman. The two women track leads from Northern Wisconsin to an Arizona border town, where illegal immigrants, smuggled drugs, and an independent contractor called Delton Security come into play. Georgia and Ellie go to great lengths to find the truth, and Georgia discovers that you can cross a line, but sometimes you have to double back.

Read an excerpt!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Outfit: A Collective of Chicago Crime Writers

http://www.theoutfitcollective.blogspot.com/

To E or Not to E

by Libby Hellmann

That seems to be the question. The answers to who should e-publish, who should retain rights, and how much ebooks should cost has dominated the conversation in the publishing industry for over a year now. Moreover, the spin-off issues that have evolved threaten to shake up the way authors and publishers do business. Not surprisingly, in some quarters the conversation has turned shrill. Even misleading, as friend-of-the-Outfit and uber-Kindler Joe Konrath discovered.

What isn’t misleading, though, is the effect ebooks are having. In 10 years it’s estimated that over 30% of all books sold will be in digital formats. That’s a lot of books. For authors, it presents an unprecedented opportunity to take our work directly to readers without spending a lot of money or time. No middle men, no publishers, no limitations. If you have the rights to your backlist, going-e is a terrific way to give those titles new life. And if you (or your agent) can manage to keep those rights as you continue to publish, you'll find that royalties accrue instantly, with nothing held in reserve. 

Not bad... But...

Unfortunately, I’m a proponent of the “other shoe theory of life.” So following is kind of a reality check, at least on ebooks. Don’t get me wrong. All of my novels and other workare on Kindle and some are on Smashwords (more about that in another post), and I will continue to make them available. 

But it’s important to note that your mileage may vary. In several ways.

First, the money. You’ve no doubt heard the six-figure income Joe’s on tap to reap from publishing his books on Kindle. But Joe is an anomaly. My books sell, but nowhere near his level. Joe has “broken through” the e-universe, and deservedly so. There is no one who has worked harder to promote himself and his “platform” although he disagrees. (I hate the word "platform," btw.) Remember the 500 bookstore tour? The library promotion? His My Space page? He has thousands of followers. He has reach. He’s versatile, and he tells a great story. But what about the rest of us? I’m not so sure.

Second, and this is more a theory than fact, it seems to me that a significant chunk of Kindlers and ebookers are younger, hipper, i-Phone-ish readers whose attention spans are –um— just a tad imperfect. Is what I write going to be of interest to them? Will they stick with it? I don’t know. Notwithstanding Harry Potter and Twilight, the number of fiction readers keeps declining, so the challenge becomes one of appeal. The ebook authors who can stay relevant to hipper, more wired readers will have more success. Unfortunately, that won't be all of us.

But here’s my biggest concern. If you’ve been paying attention, you already know that B&N, and now Apple,among others, have created divisions for self-publishing ebooks. The floodgates are about to open, and the ebook market is going to be a vast sea of self-published work.

Theoretically, we midlist authors who have been previously published should have an advantage. We have been vetted. We have been edited. Publishers stand behind us. But how are we going to get that message out? What kind of filters will be in place to differentiate our work from work that hasn’t been vetted? Will anyone pay any attention? I don’t know. 

Those are my worries. But there's good news too. 

Despite the fact that publishing is contracting and going digital, there are several emerging trends that are positive for midlist authors. One of them is described in this article about the collaboration between a midlist author and a small publisher. Whether you’re publishing in print or ebook or both, I thought this was a clever way for both author and publisher to survive in today’s market. There are other MOs out there,as described here that new authors are using to get their work out. 

I hope we’ll see more of these innovations. It's clear the industry is changing, and that's good. It will force authors to become better businesspeople, give us more control over their careers, and hopefully make publishers more accountable. 

OK. Enough from me. What do you think?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

"Advice for writers' block sufferers" - WBEZ, Oct. 15, 2009

"Northbrook author goes crime-traveling in latest" - Evanston Review, Oct. 8, 2009

"Get to Know... North Shore author Libby Hellmann" - Trib Local, July 31, 2009

"Crime novel author on marketing and selling your writing" - OnText.com, June, 2009

C.J. Lyons' Thriller Spotlight on Libby Hellmann - April, 2009

Featured Writer on Jerry Peterson's web site - April, 2009

"Secrets of the Suburbs" - Chicago Reader, May, 2008

New Mystery Reader interview - May, 2008

Keith Raffel interviews Libby - April, 2008

Sarah Wisseman interviews Libby - March, 2008

Read a Q&A with Libby about Easy Innocence - February, 2008

Chicago Writers Association interview  Summer, 2006

"Sweet Home Chicago" – PW BEA Show Daily, June, 2004

"Interview with Libby Fischer Hellmann" – Mystery One, Summer, 2003

"Sex, Lies, and Book Sales" – PW, April, 2003

"Interview with Libby Hellmann" – Mysterical-E, Autumn, 2002

By Libby:

"Ross Thomas/Briar Patch" – Mystery Muses: 100 Classics that Inspire Today's Writers, edited by Jim Huang (Crum Creek Press, 2006)

"24 Turns 5" – CrimeSpree Magazine, Winter, 2006

"No Ordinary Bookclub" – CrimeSpree Magazine, Winter, 2005

"Why I write Jewish" – Mystery Readers Journal, Spring, 2004

"Writing Ugly" – The Mystery Morgue, Breakthrough Promotions, May, 2004

"My Story" – Futures Magazine, December, 2003

"Doing it By the Book" – MyShelf.com, December, 2002

"An Eye For Mysteries" – Mystery Scene, November, 2002

Podcasts, Audio, Video:

Listen to Cliff Roles' interview with Libby - June 4, 2010

Listen to Libby on Milwaukee Public Radio's Spoken Word - March 9, 2010
(Libby's segment begins 37:30 into the show.)

Listen to Libby on the Mystery Matters radio show - 2009

Listen to Libby's Bleak House Books podcast - 2008

Criminal Masterminds interview with Vicki Delany - August, 2008

Chicago Blues Book Trailer

2007 Interview with Libby by WriteNow Coach Rochelle Melander

Listen to an audio interview of Libby conducted by Zoë Sharp (16 minutes) – August, 2006

Libby's Posts From The Outfit Blog - Originally posted on The Outfit Collective

May 30, 2010: "To E or Not to E"

April 4, 2010: "I Don't Get Haircuts Anymore—I Update My Profile"

March 7, 2010: "The Whole Thing Stinks..."

February 14, 2010: "Pardon Me While I Rant"

January 24, 2010: "Eleanor"

January 10, 2010: "Where Evil Lives"

December 27, 2009: "The State of Reviewing"

December 13, 2009: "The Writing Jones"

November 2, 2009: "On the Road"

October 18, 2009: "This Was My Bouchercon... How was yours?"

September 28, 2009: "And Now For Something Completely Different..."

September 13, 2009: "I Have Always Depended on the Kindness of Mystery Writers"

August 30, 2009: "First Impressions"

August 16, 2009: "Desperately Seeking..."

August 5, 2009: "I Hate To Write"

July 5, 2009: "Ready To Commit Murder"

June 21, 2009: "Once Upon A Time In Iran"

June 9, 2009: "The Other Hat"

April 12, 2009: "The Mob's Worst Nightmare"

March 11, 2009: "Follow Me"

February 22, 2009: "The Chutzpah Factor"

February 6, 2009: "I Screwed Up"

January 21, 2009: "I Kinda Wish I'd Been in DC"

January 5, 2009: "Coming Attractions—Crime in Chicago"

December 19, 2008: "Hey, You Talkin' to Me?"

December 3, 2008: "Wha 'cha Gonna Watch this Season?"

November 17, 2008: "Jon Burge and the Theater of Corruption"

October 15, 2008: "Cold Case Already?"

September 28, 2008: "Sex in the White House"

September 11, 2008: "Not My Job"

August 27, 2008: "Gerbil Wheels and News Junkies"

August 11, 2008: "Culture Clash"

July 25, 2008: "A Chicago Cop's Story"

July 9, 2008: "Let Me Count The Ways..."

June 6, 2008: "Aiders and Abettors"

May 20, 2008: "Apocalypse Now?"

May 4, 2008: "Fake News"

April 17, 2008: "Chandler and the Fairer Sex"

April 1, 2008: "Lessons From the Road... or the Adventures of Thelma and Louise"

March 15, 2008: "Chandler, 'One Book, One Chicago' and The Outfit"

February 28, 2008: "Guilty TV Pleasures"

February 13, 2008: "Prufrock and Me"

January 27, 2008: "White Collar Crime Fiction"

January 10, 2008: "Reading is Fundamental"

December 10, 2007: "Explanation or Excuse?"

November 27, 2007: "A Drew Peterson Reality Check"

November 6, 2007: "Gunfights, Interrogations, and More"

October 21, 2007: "Titles, Blackwater, and more"

September 26, 2007: "Violence: To Everything there is a Time?"

September 2, 2007: "A Pox Upon Your Newspeak"

August 17, 2007: "The Lighter Side of Crime"

July 31, 2007: "What is Evil?"

July 15, 2007: "Amy, We Hardly Knew Ye"

June 28, 2007: "Summer in 'Da City"

June 13, 2007: "Endings"

May 28, 2007: "Memorial Day—Chicago Style"

May 10, 2007: "Teachers"

April 23, 2007: "Vonnegut, Propaganda, and Fox"

April 9, 2007: "Not In My Neighborhood"

March 22, 2007: "Chicago Blues"

March 9, 2007: "Queen For A Day"

February 18, 2007: "Reading and Writing"

February 2, 2007: "The Grace Kelly Factor"

January 14, 2007: "24 Turns 6"

December 30, 2006: "Not Such a Vast Wasteland"

December 12, 2006: "Bad Cops, Women, and Chicago"

November 27, 2006: "Giving the Devil His Due"

November 9, 2006: "The 15 Minute Solution"

October 24, 2006: "Vote Early and Often"

October 7, 2006: "The Prodigal Wordsmith: Coming Back to Words"

September 21, 2006: "The Gun Range"

September 5, 2006: "Chicago Blues"

August 20, 2006: "Skype Me at Seven: The Future of Book Signings"

August 3, 2006: "Writers, Gods, and Atheists"

July 18, 2006: "Mayor Daley as Willie Stark?"

becke_davis
0 Kudos

On Twitter: libbyfh

Libby Fischer Hellmann

On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/libby.hellmann

Libby Fischer Hellmann

July 10 
The Book Bin
Northbrook's Downtown Hometown Event and Sidewalk Sale 
Northbrook, IL
11 AM

August 21-27
Mystery Elderhostel Program
Green Lake, WI

Libby Fischer Hellmann

Awards and Nominations

An Eye For Murder

• Anthony nomination, Best First
  • Winner, Best First, Readers Choice Awards (Love is Murder conference)

A Picture of Guilt

• Finalist, Ben Franklin Award, Mystery/suspense
  • Winner, Best Traditional Mystery, Readers Choice Awards (Love is Murder conference)

A Shot to Die For

• Winner, Best Traditional Mystery, Readers Choice Awards (Love is Murder conference)

"House Rules" (Short story in Murder in Vegas anthology)

• Agatha nominee
  • Anthony nominee

Chicago Blues (Editor)

• Stuart Kaminsky story nominated for an Edgar
  • Deb Brod story winner of Readers Choice Award (Love is Murder conference)

Easy Innocence

• Winner, Best PI/Police Procedural, Readers Choice Award (Love is Murder conference)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Reviews

Praise for Nice Girl Does Noir

"[A] great place to get acquainted with Hellmann's talent... when Hellman explores the less sunlit areas of Chicago and times gone by, her canvas becomes not only more universal but has greater depth and emotional value. Aspiring short-story writers would do well to pay attention to how Hellmann creates both story and character arcs within the small framework... the characters are engrossing and the arcs are perfect without being predictable."
—Naomi Johnson, The Drowning Machine |Read full review

Praise for Doubleback

"Anthony-finalist Hellmann's taut second novel of suspense to feature Chicago PI Georgia Davis (after Easy Innocence) teams Davis with video producer Ellie Foreman, the heroine of the author's other series (A Shot to Die For, etc.). When eight year-old Molly Messenger is apparently kidnapped, a family friend turns to Ellie for help. Feeling out of her depth, Ellie asks Georgia to get involved, only to have the girl reappear unharmed just days later. After Molly's bank manager mother, Christine, dies in a suspicious car accident, Georgia gets on a trail that leads from Wisconsin to Arizona. Meanwhile, Ellie stumbles onto a paramilitary training camp connected to Christine's bank. Hellmann skillfully juggles disparate threads of bank fraud, extortion, drugs and illegal immigration. While some may find the use of dual narrators confusing, it works with Ellie's cooler-head yin balancing out Georgia's take-no-prisoners yang."
Publishers Weekly

"Teaming up two strong, intelligent lead characters makes for a rich, suspenseful story in Libby Fischer Hellmann'sDoubleback. Chicago private investigator Georgia Davis and video producer Ellie Foreman have each shown they can carry a novel by themselves. Hellman's decision to have them work together in this followup to Easy Innocence brings new insights into each character and nice depth to Doubleback... The alternating narrators give Hellman a chance to showcase her plotting skills, allowing the story to unfold from two different perspectives... Hellmann briskly moves the setting from urban and suburban Chicago to the farms of rural Illinois, amd makes the most of scenes in an eerie Arizona border town. The result is a quick-moving story that leaves readers hoping that Georgia and Ellie will team up again." 
—Oline Cogdill, Mystery Scene

"Hellmann's new book is one tough cookie... Hellmann has combined her two protagonists into one strong and moving novel."
—Dick Adler, The Rap Sheet | Read full review 

"Simply put, Doubleback is a book that moves. No one told Libby Fischer Hellman that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line because [Georgia] Davis' trip to Arizona is brimming with twists and turns. Yet, I'm certain most readers will arrive in record time. As with Easy Innocence, Hellmann's plot is multi-layered and peppered with heavy social issues, which ultimately draw the reader deeper into the plot line... Hellmann has filled Doubleback with a series of insightful juxtapositions, the most obvious being the two main characters, Ellie Foreman and Georgia Davis... While Georgia Davis may have needed to, Libby Fischer Hellman doesn't need to 'doubleback.' She's indisputably crossed the line into the realm of great crime fiction writers. There's no going back now."
—Jen Forbus, Crimespree   Read full review

"Libby Hellmann knows how to reel in a reader, and she does it expertly in Doubleback. One of the tensest opening scenes ever written is just the introduction to a true puzzler of a thriller."

Tess Gerritsen, NYT bestselling author of The Keepsake

"Doubleback is a high-octane rocket ride through ripped-from-the-headlines issues and across the country... Let's hope we see much more of the tough-as-nails PI Georgia Davis and her relentless partner Ellie Foreman." 
C.J. Box, Edgar Award winning author of Below Zero

"Doubleback had me enrapt from start to finish. This is a must read for anyone who loves a conspiracy and worries about the power independent security companies like Black Water wield. A true page turner with suspense and a compelling need to forgo a good night's sleep."
Beyond Her Book blog, PublishersWeekly.com

Praise for Easy Innocence

"Libby Hellmann can get into the mind of a character, whether the character is a mentally ill man or a teenage girl. I kept reading after the first brutal and fascinating pages because I... wanted to know what would happen to the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly people. PI Georgia Davis, the no-nonsense heart of this tale, is an original who cuts through the surface of the wealthy Chicago suburban North Shore and finds a darkness I didn't see coming. This is good stuff, very good stuff." 
Stuart M. Kaminsky, Grand Master, Mystery Writers of America

"Hellmann's done her homework here and it shows: the writing is assured, the voices authentic, and the understanding both of criminal investigations and relationships among cops, lawyers and prosecutors come to life with great urgency. Her PI, Georgia Davis, works the affluent suburbs north of Chicago, fertile territory for crime that's lain fallow far too long. Davis' arrival on the mean streets is long overdue."
Sara Paretsky, author of the V.I. Warshawski series and Bleeding Kansas

"Easy Innocence grabs you and doesn't let go. Hellmann's cool style and sleight-of-hand plotting draw you in deep before you know what's happened. This one will keep you up at night."
SJ Rozan, author of In This Rain

"Hellmann brings to life the reality of hazing and bullying among teenage girls in a story with enough twists and turns to keep you reading to the end. Highly recommended."
Library Journal (starred review)

"Just what's needed in a mystery... Depth of characterization sets this new entry apart from a crowded field."
Kirkus Reviews

"Exciting plot development and a strong heroine... If you enjoy gritty noir mysteries, this one is highly recommended."
Midwest Book Review

"A fast-paced mystery... (Georgia) is a principled, compassionate character, determined to do the right thing, even if it doesn't follow conventional assumptions..."
Booklist

Easy Innocence is Crime Fiction Dossier's Book of the Week (March 24)!

"Hellmann's vast knowledge of the area and ability to dive deep into her characters give her the authority needed to create a suspenseful and gripping story... Easy Innocence is a tough act to follow."
CrimeSpree Magazine

"There's a new no-nonsense female private detective in town: Georgia Davis, a former cop who is tough and smart enough to give even the legendary V.I. Warshawski a run for her money... Hellmann knows how to distill the essence of a character in a few unadorned but dead-right sentences."
—Dick Adler, Chicago Tribune Read full review

"[A] promising new series with an interesting heroine."
—David Montgomery, Chicago Sun-Times

"This is a very twisted tale with some extremely unsavory characters—and it's hard to put down!"
—Mary Helen Becker, Capital Times (Madison, WI)

"Davis takes the reader into some of life's dark corners, but Hellmann tells a heck of a story with good characters and plot twists. There is no easy innocence for anyone along for the ride."
—Barbara Rixstine, Journal Star (Lincoln, NE)

"Hellmann builds a complex web of deceit and treachery... Easy Innocence is more Ross Macdonald than Robert B. Parker, something long overdue in modern P.I. fiction."
—Jim Winter, January Magazine

"Seldom have I read a book as well thought out, as layered, as Easy Innocence... Hellmann's contrasting worlds of the lifestyles of these well-to-do families and PI Davis, who is trying to make ends meet, goes a long way to enhancing the believability of this novel. Life behind the facade is gritty and certainly a learning experience for us all. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."
—Jean Utley, I Love a Mystery

"I thought that Hellman did a great job with the characters and in developing the situations. In Hellmann's hands, even the rich and privileged showed vulnerability. Add to that a complex and well-developed plot, and you have some great reading ahead of you."
—Maddy Van Hertbruggen, I Love a Mystery

"Georgia is an intriguing and complex character. At times she brims with confidence, at others she shows an endearing vulnerability... The twists in the plot are very well contrived, with enemies turning to allies and an ending that is both satisfactory and totally unexpected."
—Mary Elizabeth Devine, Reviewing the Evidence

"This is a gorgeous, tightly-written mystery. The characters are fully developed and the plot has delicious sub-layers running through it. I love the way the superb writing flows. If I had teen-age daughters, this book would make me very concerned about what they might be up to that I didn't know about. Even if you don't have teen-age daughters (or nieces, friends, etc.) I strongly recommended this book. Mysteries don't get any better than this."
—Sharon Wildwind, Story Circle Book Reviews

"Libby tackles several timely social issues, including peer pressure, the sexualization of young girls, and the pursuit of status, all without preaching or alienating the reader. She does it by simply telling a great story. It had me guessing about the identity of the killer until the very end, and also had me thinking about this book long after I turned the last page."
—Patrick Balester, Picks By Pat | Read full review

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give Libby a big 4th of July welcome! (I don't think she'll be joining us until tomorrow, but you never know!)

welcome Glitter graphics

Click to get the codes for this image. This glitter graphic features exploding animated fireworks with gold embossed lettering in the foreground. The comment reads: Happy 4th of July!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Libby - welcome to B&N's Mystery Book Club forum. Thanks so much for joining us!

Between your blog, your books and your short stories, you are a busy woman! What are you working on now?

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke...  Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm tired just from scrolling through all those posts. You certainly do quite an introduction!!

Writers never take the whole weekend off :smileyhappy: so I'm happy to respond.

And now for something completely different...

That's what I'm doing these days. Stand alone literary thrillers. SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE is a thriller that takes place in the present but also in the late '60s. It will be out in December. We haven't finalized jacket copy yet, but it will be something like this:

Someone is trying to kill Lila Hilliard. A fire during the Christmas holiday took her father and brother. Lila should have died with them, but a last-minute errand saved her life. Now a man on a motorcycle is trying to run her down, and a second “accidental” explosion almost destroys her.

As Lila desperately tries to piece together who is after her and why, her search leads her back 50 years when six young people met during the ’68 Democratic Convention and decided to live together in Chicago. Torn between advocating for change through individual acts of goodness or forcing change by any means necessary, the roommates eventually split up. But the embers of the fires they set still smoulder today, and if Lila can't extinguish them, the flames might consume her forever.

I do remember the '60s, and for a time, I was active politically, so I enjoyed bringing it all back. At the same time, I'm glad I'm done with it. It was almost cathartic in the sense that I was finally able to put that time of my life behind me.

In fact, I have a question for your readers... would you/they seek out a novel that takes place -- partly -- in the late '60s? Why or why not?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Libby:

I just finished reading "Easy Innocence" and enjoyed it very much. Georgia Davis is a very tough, smart PI and I enjoyed reading about her adventures. The story kept me interested and I was very surprised at the ending. Very unexpected!

In answer to your question about the late 60's. Yes, I love to read stories that take place in the 60's.That decade was full of lots of exciting different changes in culture, history and just general life in America. You could say that "it was the best of times and the worst of times" and I think that's why that decade intrigues us!

I will definitely be reading more of your books. You are a very talented writer!

Thanks for visiting with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

Hi, Becke...  Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm tired just from scrolling through all those posts. You certainly do quite an introduction!!

Writers never take the whole weekend off :smileyhappy: so I'm happy to respond.

And now for something completely different...

That's what I'm doing these days. Stand alone literary thrillers. SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE is a thriller that takes place in the present but also in the late '60s. It will be out in December. We haven't finalized jacket copy yet, but it will be something like this:

Someone is trying to kill Lila Hilliard. A fire during the Christmas holiday took her father and brother. Lila should have died with them, but a last-minute errand saved her life. Now a man on a motorcycle is trying to run her down, and a second “accidental” explosion almost destroys her.

As Lila desperately tries to piece together who is after her and why, her search leads her back 50 years when six young people met during the ’68 Democratic Convention and decided to live together in Chicago. Torn between advocating for change through individual acts of goodness or forcing change by any means necessary, the roommates eventually split up. But the embers of the fires they set still smoulder today, and if Lila can't extinguish them, the flames might consume her forever.

Oh, this sounds soooo good - definitely my kind of book! When you get your cover image, let me know and I'll post it here. (Whenever that may be!)

I do remember the '60s, and for a time, I was active politically, so I enjoyed bringing it all back. At the same time, I'm glad I'm done with it. It was almost cathartic in the sense that I was finally able to put that time of my life behind me.

I was 16 the summer of the infamous Democratic Convention in Chicago, and I did some campaigning for Senator Eugene McCarthy. (That same summer my family went to Washington, DC, where we were given the grand tour by the brother of my mom's college roommate. His name was Donald Rumsfeld.)

I was in Grant Park when all hell broke loose. I was terrified, but mostly I was afraid my parents would see me in the news clips on TV. My best friend and I were supposed to be at a movie but we took the train downtown to meet two guys from New York we'd met at the rally for Czechoslovakia a few days earlier. I was kind of wild in those days!

In fact, I have a question for your readers... would you/they seek out a novel that takes place -- partly -- in the late '60s? Why or why not?

Heck, yeah! But mainly because I grew up in that era and it still fascinates me.