Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Please welcome featured author CRAIG JOHNSON!

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Craig HI!!!!

Welcome to the board.

Oh wow am I glad I visited today such a timely effort on my part.

I moderate besides the General Fiction forum here on B&N.com an in person book club and I have one male member who loves western writing and I need one more novel selection for this year.

Which one of your novels would you suggest for a both sexes multi aged book club?

And I'm so sorry about the Gremlin problems they run rampant at B&N, it's the minority of guest authors who do get through LOL

images.jpeg

Craig's response:

Dhaupt--Thanks for the good words! My first novel, The Cold Dish is the one I'd start out with, it gives the most in-depth canvassing of the characters and the environs, but the one mentioned above, The Dark Horse is my most quintessential Western. Then there's As The Crow Flies, which takes place up on the Northern Cheyenne Reservation… Your pick!

The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire Series #1) (TV Tie-In)  

The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire Series #5)  

As the Crow Flies (Walt Longmire Series #8)  

Becke be sure and tell Craig thanks!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Don't hold back on questions! Craig hasn't been able to sign on, but I'll make sure he sees your questions and comments and then I'll post his response. Ask about his books, his characters, Longmire, his writing methods - whatever you'd like to know!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Craig - Can you give us any hints about the next book in this series? I assume you're already working on it. Do you have a title or release date yet?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sorry it's so quiet here this week, Craig. I think people must be outside enjoying the summery weather! Either that or the storms have wiped their power out, and they can't get on the internet. :-(

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for visiting with us, Craig!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Post-It: Sofa to Seattle…

SerpentsTooth

I’m a big one for picking up signs from the natural world, so when my motorcycle wouldn’t start and the weather for the northwest called for a solid week of rain, my wife thought I should rethink my Outlaw Motorcycle Tour. “It’s going to pour.” My backup vehicle, a three-quarter ton diesel doesn’t get quite the gas mileage that the bike does, but it doesn’t leak. “Even the motorcycle doesn’t want to go.”
            For six years I’ve looked forward to the motorcycle tour as a way of clearing my head after the national tour, but all the signs were pointing against it. “My truck only gets sixteen miles to the gallon.”
            Judy, an arithmetic whiz, did the math. “I’ll give you the three hundred dollars.”
            Victim of a faulty battery, I’d replaced the thing a month ago, but it died again and with only twenty-four hours of turn-around time, I was in a tight spot.
            So, anybody got a sofa they need driven to Seattle?

See you on the road,
Craig

PS: Here is the Red Pony ball cap—it’ll be on the store on the website (www.craigallenjohnson.com) by the end of the week….tee-shirt around the corner.

red pony hat

PPS: The Stay Calm, Have Courage and Wait for Signs trade edition has shipped. Anyone has not received their copy and has not heard from Judy, please let her know atcraig.craigallenjohnson@gmail.com. The limited edition is still at the binders and is due the end of July. Thanks for your patience about this….

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Post-It: Longmire Days

A Serpent's Tooth  

Last year the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce asked me if I’d like to participate in Longmire Day, an event centering around the success of the Walt Longmire Mystery series, both books and television. Maybe centering was a bit of a stretch in that it basically consisted of me signing books in front of the Busy Bee Café and sidewalk chalk art.
The chalk art was rather impressive, especially the portrait of Robert Taylor, the actor that plays Walt on the hit, A&E television show. My favorite part of the event though was when a local rancher spotted me before things got started. I was sitting on a bench in front of the Occidental Hotel with a couple of boxes of books.
”You waiting to get your books signed?” I smiled and started to respond, but he beat me to the punch. “The fellow that writes those books used to live around here, but when they got turned into a TV show he moved over to Jackson.”
            “Really?”
            “Yep, that’s pretty much what they all do.”
            He moseyed on down the sidewalk, but I noticed he was carrying a paperback of one of my novels in his hand, the soft covers not having my photo.
            Longmire Days turned out to be a surprising success in that people from surrounding states and some as far away as South Carolina actually showed up for the limited festivities.
This year, on the other hand, will be another story.
            While on set with a photo crew from the Wyoming Office of Tourism, they reported that the cast of Longmire was one of the nicest groups of individuals they’d ever had the opportunity to interview, at which point they asked about Longmire Day in Buffalo and wondered if the cast would entertain the idea of flying into Wyoming and participating.
            I asked—and most of them are.
            The cast of the highest-rated, scripted drama in A&E’s network history will be in Buffalo, Wyoming the weekend of August 17th and 18th, so make your travel plans now, half the motels in Buffalo (officially Durant for that weekend) are already booked.
            I like to think of Longmire Days (yep, it’s plural now) as a Valentine to the little town that provided the inspiration for fictitious Durant and Absaroka County, and an opportunity for the actors to see the actual area where the books take place. I think it’s a nice way for all of us to say thank you to the city of Buffalo, Johnson County, and the great state of Wyoming as a whole. 
That rancher with the paperback finally showed up in line last year to get his book signed, but when he saw me he tried to dodge away. I caught his arm and took the book from his hand as he laughed. “So, I guess you didn’t move after all, huh?”
I signed his book and handed it back to him. “Nope, and I never will.”
See you down the road or in Buffalo on August 17 and 18,
Craig

See you on the road,
Craig

PS: Don't forget the Red Pony ball cap is now available — it's on the store on the website (www.craigallenjohnson.com) ….tee-shirts are also available and in stock! 

red pony hat

ponyshirt

pinkshirt 2

PINKmug

mensbrownshirt

Author
DeborahSharp
0 Kudos

Craig's books sound terrific. I knew Longmire was on TV, but didn't know it was based on a series by Craig, which makes it even better. Thanks for introducing me to his work, Becke. 

Deborah Sharp
Author of the funny Mace Bauer Mystery series
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeborahSharp wrote:

Craig's books sound terrific. I knew Longmire was on TV, but didn't know it was based on a series by Craig, which makes it even better. Thanks for introducing me to his work, Becke. 

Hi Deborah - I'm so glad you were able to sign in! I love Longmire, too. I was first introduced to Craig's books by my brother, who lives in New Mexico. I asked for books that had some local color and he recommended Craig's books. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Craig will be visiting two Barnes & Noble stores next month:

Barnes & Noble                                  Boulder, CO                           Saturday, October 19

Barnes & Noble                                  Billings, MT                            Monday, October 28

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

From Craig:

Post-It: Spirit of Steamboat

Spirit of Steamboat (Signed Edition) (A Walt Longmire Story)  

In the Doolittle Raiders Reunion in San Antonio a number of years back, we got the opportunity to take a ride in a gloriously restored, vintage Mitchell B-25 bomber. I remember walking past the line with all the friends and family of these magnificent men when Bill Bower, the man on whom I partially based the character of Lucian Connally and one of the few remaining Raiders, stopped at the flight line. He gazed at the powerful aircraft that he had flown off the deck of the USS Hornet, over Tokyo, and into a crash landing in China.
            I could only guess at the things that were going through his mind as the great Cyclone engines burst to life with clouds of white smoke and spinning propellers that seemed to increase speed until they caught up with themselves and appeared to be going backward.
            I called back to him over the roar of the engines. “C’mon Bill, you don’t want to miss the flight!”
            He smiled and looked at me. “You kids go on ahead; I flew those damned things and I know how dangerous they are!”

Viking/Penguin likes the extended short stories I’ve been writing for a few years now, releasing them as eStories, and I can tell you that that’s how Spirit of Steamboat began. I had the idea of a mysterious woman appearing in the Absaroka County Office a few days before Christmas and asking to see the sheriff--the next time I looked up, the story was eighty-two pages long.

I called Kathryn Court at Viking/Penguin and told her.
            “How long do you think it’s going to be once it’s finished?”
            “About half the length of a regular Walt novel. What do you want to do with it?”
            She laughed. “We’ll put it out as a hardback novella in the fall.”

Spirit of Steamboat is a thriller with mysterious elements, a holiday story that is also a study in character. I wrote it like a movie, an old black and white one that you stumble onto late one night on television and end up watching well past midnight. I hope that’s what it reads like--a bare-knuckled, blood-draining flight that bids you to step up the ladder and into the cockpit on a dire, blizzard-ridden, Christmas Eve, a tale that straps you in and doesn’t let you go.
            I’m very proud of this novella that mimics another little holiday book written by Charles Dickens, the leather-bound edition of A Christmas Carolthat Walt Longmire carries in the pocket of his sheepskin coat during this adventure. These, like all times, are those of legend and heroism--times that don’t beg the question of what we have to do, but what you have to live with if we don’t. 

Another wonderful bit of news is that the Wyoming Library Association has made Spirit of Steamboat the inaugural Wyoming One Book state read for this year. I have to admit that I’m honored to be chosen as the first book out of the box in this marvelous program and will be traveling all over Wyoming with a number of events, so listen for the engines from above! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Update: author CRAIG JOHNSON!

Spirit of Steamboat  

Our little Walt Longmire story, Spirit of Steamboat, hit #18 on the New York Times Bestseller’s List and is topping lists all over the country. Just in case you didn’t get the memo, this year’s e-special kind of got a little big for its britches and became a hardback novella that went on sale two weeks ago and was named the inaugural One-Read-Wyoming, the very first state-wide read.

First editions are still available, but they’re going fast so if you want to pick up gift copies you’ll have to act quickly. Spirit of Steamboat has a sleek airspeed of 150 pages and is a pretty great way to introduce friends and family to the world of Walt Longmire without worrying about the order, or giving anything away from the other novels… And at the risk of sounding like Ron Popeil, “It makes a great holiday gift!”

Along those same lines, we put together some limited edition items to go along with the heroic flight of the little plane that could, a snappy cap with the Steamboat logo and a lightweight thermal with selfsame brand; just click on Store and away you fly.

See you on the trail,

Craig

PS: Any Other Name, Walt’s next adventure with a pub date of late May, beginning of June, is available for pre-order from all the usual suspects….

PPS: Christmas is coming (see above), so click on Store and order up a slew of LONGMIRE items—caps, shirts, license plates, bumper stickers, mugs, and, of course, books. Only signed this time as I am on the road (see below) unless you can wait till December 10….

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Update: author CRAIG JOHNSON!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Update: author CRAIG JOHNSON!

Post-It, Longmire Days: Wyoming in Your Head

The other day, I was talking to my friend Gene Gagliano, who writes marvelous children’s books, and he said, “You’ve done something I always wanted to do—you put Buffalo on the map.”
            I laughed. “I think the TV show, Longmire, has put our town on the map.”
            “That might be true, but without your books there wouldn’t be a TV series or LONGMIRE DAYS.”
            LONGMIRE DAYS was quite a success last year; it’s true that there were plenty of problems, but I have to admit that if anybody saw me there they might’ve noticed the smile on my face. We didn’t handle the crowds all that well, the parking was a madhouse, scheduling got kerfuffled, and a lot of the stores didn’t get the word on what hours they should keep, but all in all—it was magical. Having lived in Johnson County for a quarter of a century now, I’m used to the high plains skirmishes, the politics, and general small-mindedness that can sometimes envelope the little town and large but sparsely populated county after which I modeled Durant and Absaroka County. But on that weekend, I couldn’t have been happier, or more proud.
            I’m still amazed at the gals at the Chamber of Commerce and the scope of the event they conceived--along with the efforts of the Wyoming Department of Tourism-- and a myriad of local sponsors who did everything possible to make such an undertaking a success on such short notice. It was like a Frank Capra movie, and I’m long enough in the tooth that I never thought I’d live to see that type of thing. I had worries about how it would go and whether the town would be able to pull something like this off—I should’ve known better. In true western spirit, Buffalo put its best foot forward and shone that weekend last summer, something that didn’t go unnoticed by the actors and actresses from Longmire, who are returning for this year’s event, with maybe a few additions.
Katee Sackhoff sent us a message the other day that she and her buddy, actress Tricia Heifer, the Acting Outlaws, are doing one of their charity motorcycle rides in conjunction with LONGMIRE DAYS instead of going to Sturgis. Last year’s poker run was the largest in Wyoming history; can’t imagine what this year will bring. Their schedule comes out this week, so if you are a rider, make sure you check it out.
One of the events within the event that certainly wasn’t a shortcoming was the autograph sessions with Robert Taylor, the rangy actor who plays Walt Longmire on A&E’s hit series, who signed for four hours on Saturday morning. When the police were dispatched to insure that he had time for lunch, in true sheriff-style, he stood and announced that he wasn’t leaving until the last autograph was signed.
I was talking long distance to him the other day, and he started the conversation with, “I can’t get Wyoming out of my head.”
            It starts like that when you come here; a niggling little thought that this might be someplace special—but those of us who are fortunate enough to live here have known that all along, and like anything you’re proud of, you enjoy showing it off.
            So, after a great deal of back and forth with the production schedules of the actors, this year’s 3rd annual LONGMIRE DAYS will take place a little earlier than the past two, running from Thursday, July 17th to Sunday, July 20th.  

Let us show off and come get a little Wyoming in your head.

See you on the road,
Craig

PPPPS: New book, ANY OTHER NAME, will be out on May 13 and is available for pre-order from all the usual suspects. Working on the tour right now, so keep a watch.

PPPPPS: SPIRIT OF STEAMBOAT is officially the inaugural One-Book-Wyoming on February 20 with a reception in Cheyenne. Watch for an event in Washington, D.C. around March 4 as well—information as to where to come…

Tour of Duty:

February 21,  Public Reception and Book Signing Cheyenne, WY     TBA
March 5, Public Reception and Book Signing Washington, D.C.        TBA
  March 14,  Public Library Association Luncheon Indianapolis, IN
March 15,  Tucson Book Festival                            Tucson, AZ
                                       French Connection w Cara Black                 1-2 PM
                                       A Little Dickens w Richard Russo &
                                                                        Anne Perry                   4-5 PM
March 16, Tucson Book Festival                
                                      Conversation w Craig Johnson                      2:30-3:30 PM
March 19,  Monterey Peninsula College, Monterey, CA.                    TBA
March 31-April 14,    France, events @editionsgallmeister.fr

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: More from author CRAIG JOHNSON!

Post-It, One Book Wyoming

The other day there was an article I saw that had listed the quintessential literary work for each of the states, some of them I’d heard of and some of them I hadn’t, some of them I agreed with and some of them I didn’t. It did, though, get me to thinking about all the Wyoming books I considered to be emblematic of my state, books like The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains, My Friend Flicka, Shane, The Solace of Open Spaces, Where Rivers Change Direction, Rising From the Plains, The Meadow and many more too numerous to mention. It’s impossible to sum up a place like Wyoming with one book--the place is too big, too broad, and too deep.
            One thing I know for sure is that it wouldn’t have been one of mine.
            I’ve had an awful lot of wonderful things happen to me in my relatively short writing career, but nothing compares to having Spirit of Steamboat selected as the inaugural One-Book-Wyoming read. I’m going to be traveling all over the state, canvassing the libraries and setting up shop with all the people I know and treasure, the readers and librarians of the Cowboy State. With twenty some events already scheduled and a lot more to get on the calendar, the fine folks down at the Wyoming State Library have us starting off this program with a reception for the State Legislature and then a public signing at the state library in Cheyenne the next day from 10:30 to 1:30. The following week we’ll be in Washington D.C. for another kick-off reception with Wyoming Senator Mike Enzi and his lovely wife Diana.
            I would never refer to Spirit of Steamboat as encapsulating the state because I don’t think such a thing can be done, but I think it does represent some of the qualities of Wyoming we all hold dear—drive, determination, ingenuity and a heart as big as the high plains. I hope you’ll join me these coming weeks and in the next year as we celebrate reading with a little book that I hope will do Wyoming proud.

See you on the trail,
-Craig