Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

Real live mystery being- what is it?

The cover image of my new book "Life On Other Worlds" is an unretouched photo of an actual living being. I have verified this. The book's main subject is the forms life on other worlds may take. For the cover I wanted something out of this world. And I came up with this photo. The question is, what is it? And how did it come into existence? These are real life mystery questions. You are invited to Post your ideas on this.

Very truly,

Phillip Duke Ph.D.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Real live mystery being- what is it?

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

It's a bird with a dog's head Photo-Shopped onto it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

dulcinea3, it is sweet of you to post your reply, thank you. The question remains, where did it come from? Did it fly out of a flying saucer? How is such a thing possible? The existence of such a being  has long been considered an impossibility, due to the differences between the genetics of a (small) bird and a dog.

In my book "Life On Other Worlds" I state that the forms of life found on other Earth type worlds will depend primarily on that world's age, and to a lesser extent on specific environmental circumstances. Life based on reactions of tetrahedral carbon atom bonded compounds in water, will be similar there as well as here.

I also discuss life based on carbon but without water, in liquid ammonia or methane, such as might exist on Jupiter. And even more unusual, the possibility of life based on silicon, not carbon. That would have to be different.

You have named the creature, and your name is very appropriate. But the mystery remains as to its origin.

In appreciation of your Post, if you contact me with your email address, I will gift the ebook to you. Thanks again for your Post. drpduke@wmconnect.com.

220px-Stargate_Unas.jpg

There is no mystery concerning this being- it is a "Unas" from the TV series Startgate.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I don't do ebooks, but thanks for the offer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the pictures. You might want to think about "doing ebooks" since so many authors are publishing there. My POD print book "Tales Of Evil and Good" is available from other booksellers.

(Sorry - I had to go in and edit the last bit. B&N doesn't allow any competitors - i.e. booksellers - to be mentioned by name here. - Becke)

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

AMAZING, Dulcinea! They Are Real!

(I feel like the red M&M -heehee :smileyhappy:)

"...is an unretouched photo of an actual living being. I have verified this."

Oh Phillip. You do make me laugh!! :smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos