Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

Requesting comments on my promotion

Curious to hear what others think about how I’m handling the release of my book…

Denver Nights took me about two years to write, but in between that and working (have to pay bills, right?) I spent a lot of time trying to think of a cool way to introduce it.

The result was that during the third re-write I embedded written clues in the manuscript. Then I scraped together my savings…begged, borrowed, and stole the rest…and decided to offer a $15,000 prize to the first one to find the clues, interpret them, and identify the correct answer. 

Denver Nights is currently on sale with Barnes & Noble although I’m not releasing the question on my website until 2/13/2012. While my main focus was the quality of the book itself, my secondary hope was that the contest would provide a fun, interactive experience, and one that could positively impact the life of the reader.

Aside from the manuscript I put a lot of effort into the website, blog, interior formatting, and cover. Once those were completed I cleared the promotion idea with B&N, and then worked through the legal aspects of the promotion with a law firm in Vegas (figured they’d be pretty good with contests).

Any thoughts? Good or bad…I’ve heard everything from “great idea” to “you moron”. 

My opinion is that either way it works out…sometimes you just gotta take a swing and see what happens.

Thanks,

Geoff Rod
Web: http://www.geoffrod.com
Blog: http://geoff-rod.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002465436182
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RodGeoff 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Requesting comments on my promotion

Hi Geoff - Let's get a link to your book up here:

Denver Nights  

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke =)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Geoff_Rod wrote:

Thanks Becke =)

It's common to get a lot more views than comments here, so don't worry if the response is limited.

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Becke!  I appreciate your insights and talking me through things.  

I'm hoping to generate some conversation and be able to provide additional background on the promotion.  The book itself took about 2 years to pen, but the contest, and everything surrounding it, took about 8 months to get lined up.  I really do hope this proves to be a fun way for readers to interact with the book, perhaps generate interest in reading and literature, and...above all of that...positively impact the life of the winner.

Thanks again for you help, Becke.

Best,

Geoff

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Hi, Geoff. I read your bio, and as a fellow University of Arizona alumnus (and current Tucson resident) I couldn't resist buying your book.

I think the contest is a great way to create buzz for the book as well as an incentive to read it very, very carefully. Good idea!

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I love this idea! Contests are always fun! I just hope offering $15,000 didn't cause you a hardship! That's not fun! Probably could have tried to offer a little less and would have still had participants! But $15,000 will sure get noticed! Good luck to author and readers! I will have to check out your book too!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
Geoff_Rod

Hi...and thanks Sun_Cat!  Both for your support of the book as well as your comments.  For the past year I wavered between thinking I was nuts, and hoping this would be a cool thing to do.

I hope you enjoy it and good luck!  Most of my family is still in Tucson and I always feel a little bit of envy this time of year when I'm shoveling snow off the driveway and hearing about the 70 degree temps in AZ  =)

The contest starts in about three weeks (roughly).  Again, good luck with it and thanks for your comments.

Best,

Geoff

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

Thanks!  I'm hoping this will be fun for everyone.  The money decision was something I struggled with but I was able to get some backing that was much appreciated.

I've always enjoyed reading and am hoping something like this will add another level of excitement.  I think you're probably right about doing this for a lesser prize.  When mulling all of this over it kept coming back to the reader.  However it plays out I really do hope that this will have a positive impact on someone's life.  And hopefully they'll enjoy the book along the way!

It sure led to a lot of non-book related work though =)

During the process I got to learn about 'chance' vs. 'skill' based contests, local vs. federal laws, who I could include, exclude, and on and on.  And figuring out a question to embed...and then writing it into the manuscript...tacked on an extra couple of months.

Wouldn't trade it though.  And thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Best,

Geoff

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

$15,000 Prize!

For anyone who may have read this announcement with some skepticism, and for anyone else who's interested, I just returned from a brief ceremony at my local B&N store, where Geoff awarded me a check for the $15,000 prize in his contest. Yes, I was apparently the first one to solve the riddle!

Geoff is definitely for real. Do support his next book, a sequel to Denver Nights, which he expects to release this summer.

And for you extreme skeptics out there: No, there was no connection between me and Geoff before I read his announcement on this thread. I simply bought the book and solved the riddle.

becke_davis

Re: $15,000 Prize!

Sun_Cat wrote:

For anyone who may have read this announcement with some skepticism, and for anyone else who's interested, I just returned from a brief ceremony at my local B&N store, where Geoff awarded me a check for the $15,000 prize in his contest. Yes, I was apparently the first one to solve the riddle!

Geoff is definitely for real. Do support his next book, a sequel to Denver Nights, which he expects to release this summer.

And for you extreme skeptics out there: No, there was no connection between me and Geoff before I read his announcement on this thread. I simply bought the book and solved the riddle.

WOW!!! That's fantastic! If there are any pictures from this event, let me know so I can post them here!

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, Becke! I expect I'll get some pictures from Geoff. He had folks taking video and stills. I'll send you some when I can.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

Thanks a lot, Becke! I expect I'll get some pictures from Geoff. He had folks taking video and stills. I'll send you some when I can.

Did the local paper cover it? This is really big news!! Have you got your feet back on the ground yet?

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

Did the local paper cover it? This is really big news!! Have you got your feet back on the ground yet?

There was no press coverage, sadly. I know Geoff sent them press releases, but apparently they didn't judge it important enough to show up. Maybe something will appear in print after the fact.

I still feel a bit unbelieving, as if it hasn't quite sunk in. And maybe a little guilty. I hope Geoff can eventually get enough publicity to justify the expense.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

There was no press coverage, sadly. I know Geoff sent them press releases, but apparently they didn't judge it important enough to show up. Maybe something will appear in print after the fact.

I still feel a bit unbelieving, as if it hasn't quite sunk in. And maybe a little guilty. I hope Geoff can eventually get enough publicity to justify the expense.

It's a unique marketing plan, that's for sure! Enjoy!!

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

I just got back to Denver, but thought I'd join in on the fun!

It was a pleasure to meet Steve on Friday, and an honor to have him at our ceremony.  As he mentioned, I was unable to attract any media coverage, but still felt it to be an accomplishment.   The trip down to Arizona hit a few bumps along the way, but despite not getting to bed until 4 a.m. the morning of the presentation we pulled it together.

A few folks have asked me if I thought I was successful with the project.  The answer is an emphatic, "YES".

From my point of view, the book was brought to market, people from coast to coast have read it, the reviews have been positive, and I'm banging away on the next one.  

I appreciate that Mr. Russell of the Barnes & Noble store in Tucson allowed us to do our presentation in his facility.  I also think it's cool and ironic that Steve used his Nook (the one purchased in that same store) to read Denver Nights and win the contest.

But now that the excitement of the contest is dying down, I’m reflecting on something I said at the ceremony.  

At the beginning of all of this…before the contest idea was conceived… it was about the art.  It was about book writing.

That might sound glib, canned, or along the lines of general rhetoric.  But the art of writing it is something I feel very passionate about.

And I hope that I can continue enjoying this passion for a very long time.

My best to you both,

Geoff

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Geoff_Rod wrote:

I just got back to Denver, but thought I'd join in on the fun!

It was a pleasure to meet Steve on Friday, and an honor to have him at our ceremony.  As he mentioned, I was unable to attract any media coverage, but still felt it to be an accomplishment.   The trip down to Arizona hit a few bumps along the way, but despite not getting to bed until 4 a.m. the morning of the presentation we pulled it together.

A few folks have asked me if I thought I was successful with the project.  The answer is an emphatic, "YES".

From my point of view, the book was brought to market, people from coast to coast have read it, the reviews have been positive, and I'm banging away on the next one.  

I appreciate that Mr. Russell of the Barnes & Noble store in Tucson allowed us to do our presentation in his facility.  I also think it's cool and ironic that Steve used his Nook (the one purchased in that same store) to read Denver Nights and win the contest.

But now that the excitement of the contest is dying down, I’m reflecting on something I said at the ceremony.  

At the beginning of all of this…before the contest idea was conceived… it was about the art.  It was about book writing.

That might sound glib, canned, or along the lines of general rhetoric.  But the art of writing it is something I feel very passionate about.

And I hope that I can continue enjoying this passion for a very long time.

My best to you both,

Geoff

Hi Geoff - This is all very exciting! If you have pictures of this event posted online, just right click to "copy image" and paste them into a comment here.

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke, will do!

There were several people snapping photos/videos and I'm still waiting to get them all sent to me.  But I will definitely post some once I've gotten them.

I appreciate your help and support with this.  

Best,

Geoff

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Geoff_Rod wrote:

Thanks Becke, will do!

There were several people snapping photos/videos and I'm still waiting to get them all sent to me.  But I will definitely post some once I've gotten them.

I appreciate your help and support with this.  

Best,

Geoff

You can only copy/paste images here - if you have pictures on your computer, send me a message here and I'll give you my email. I can upload a couple for you.

Contributor
Geoff_Rod
0 Kudos

Sounds good, and thank you again!  I should have some content to share soon.