Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Robert B. Parker has died - what a loss!

Robert B Parker

Robert B Parker, the American crime novelist, who has died aged 77, helped revive and modernise the hard-boiled private eye genre through his Spenser series of novels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/books-obituaries/7038200/Robert-B-Park...

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

Re: Robert B. Parker has died - what a loss!

He was just always kind of there...I can't believe he's gone.

G.M. Malliet
http://GMMalliet.com
Author, Death of a Cozy Writer - Agatha Award winner. Chosen by Kirkus Reviews as one of the Best Books of 2008.
New series begins Sept. 2011 with WICKED AUTUMN (Minotaur Books).
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know! I've been reading his books since the first one came out.

Contributor
cocoacat
0 Kudos

what on earth will i read now??!! 

ive read ALL his books and he was my all time favorite.  i just bought "night and day" and finished it in a day.  i hear he has a couple others that will be out and then thats it!  : (

im really bummed.  i met Andrew Mccall Smith last summer and was hoping some time to meet Robert Parker. 

If you all have some good recommendations for me as to new authors to read...let me know.   i need some good funny, whitty, good reads.  : ) 

Thanks

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hmm. When you say funny and witty, do you mean laugh out loud funny or witty, clever dialogue? Do you like cozy type mysteries?

Janet Evanovich, Tamar Meyer, Donna Andrews, Anne George -- all of these authors are funny, as are Mary Kay Andrews and a lot of others I'm forgetting. Oh, Toni McGee Causey is a good one and she just visited with us.

What about the rest of you -- suggestions?

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I've been a fan of Parker for decades. He single-handedly revived and much-need vigor to the American private eye genre...

I loved Spenser. And I loved his travels in Boston.

I will miss Mr. Parker. His writing gave me hours of sheer reading pleasure.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

And now Dick Francis has died, too. Two of mystery's greats.

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dick Francis had a special gift for creating the "nice" narrator that you wanted to have win in the end. The kind of guy you'd want as brother or husband or neighbor. That you knew he would win in the end never subtracted from the suspense and the joy of reading the books.

An acquaintance of mine knew Francis fairly well and says he was as nice as the heroes he wrote about - a real gent.

G.M. Malliet
http://GMMalliet.com
Author, Death of a Cozy Writer - Agatha Award winner. Chosen by Kirkus Reviews as one of the Best Books of 2008.
New series begins Sept. 2011 with WICKED AUTUMN (Minotaur Books).
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi G.M. - great to see you back here! Wasn't this sad? I discovered Dick Francis' books when I lived in England in the 1970s. I've read them all, some multiple times. He was a great writer and a fascinating person. What a loss.