Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

Rosemary & Thyme

This is a British TV series -- love the theme song -- and I'm wondering if these episodes are based on books.  Does anyone know? Rosemary & Thyme: Series One   Rosemary & Thyme - The Complete Series   Rosemary & Thyme - Series 2   Rosemary & Thyme - Series 3  
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Rosemary & Thyme

I stumbled across this series a couple of weeks ago. It's been one of the best NetFlicks recommendation I ever got. Fun, funny, relaxing, intriguing, excellently acted, beautiful gardens that will make jealous, and the ever so often dead body. You have got to check them out.

And no I don't know if they are books, but they aught to be. With pictures of course. (smile)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm hooked on those British TV series, PBS MYSTERY! and the like. Wallander, Inspector Lewis, Inspector Alleyn and, my favorites, Foyle's War and Midsomer Murders.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I'm hooked on those British TV series, PBS MYSTERY! and the like. Wallander, Inspector Lewis, Inspector Alleyn and, my favorites, Foyle's War and Midsomer Murders.

Me too.

But the odd thing was the recomendation came from renting "Wake the Dead" and "To Market to Market to Buy a fat pig" the same week.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wake the Dead is a great show. I've been a Trevor Eve fan since he was in a show called Shoestring back in the 1970s. I wish that was available on DVD.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Wake the Dead is a great show. I've been a Trevor Eve fan since he was in a show called Shoestring back in the 1970s. I wish that was available on DVD.

Yeah "Wake the dead" puts the CSIs and NCISs to shame.

dulcinea3

becke_davis wrote:
This is a British TV series -- love the theme song -- and I'm wondering if these episodes are based on books.  Does anyone know?

I asked on a social board where I know a number of Brits, and someone (she's Australian, but living in U.S.) found this on imdb:

Three novelisations, credited to series creator Brian Eastman and ghosted by crime writer Rebecca Tope, have been published in Britain by Allison and Busby and in Australia by Hardie Grant Books. These novels are:
And No Birds Sing (first published in 2004, and based on the pilot episode)
The Tree of Death (first published in 2005, and based on the final episode of Series 1)
Memory of Water (first published in 2006, and based on the feature-length opening episode of Series 2)

So, the series does not appear to be based on novels, but there are novels based on the series!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kind of confusing, but the books might still be worth a read.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well there you go. Thanks I'll look for them.
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke.  Looks like a lot of fun.  My local library has all three seasons and I'm on the hold list of Season 1.  Can't wait.

Nancy

becke_davis wrote:
This is a British TV series -- love the theme song -- and I'm wondering if these episodes are based on books.  Does anyone know?Rosemary & Thyme: Series One  Rosemary & Thyme - The Complete Series  Rosemary & Thyme - Series 2  Rosemary & Thyme - Series 3  

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND