Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Sharyn McCrumb's ballad novel

[ Edited ]

:smileyhappy:

I did a search and couldn't find them mentioned, so I thought I'd see if anyone has read them. They were recently recommended to me, and I am enjoying "The Redwood Casket" a lot. I put a few more on hold at the library including The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Has anyone read any of these? Her latest books are Nascar themed (but not actually about racing). They are fairly short and have lots of well researched facts about all kinds of stuff, great realistic country/mountain characters, and mysteries (although the one I'm reading is a 70 year old mystery).

Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

Re: Sharon McCrumb's ballad novel

Bonnie, I love Sharyn McCrumb's ballad novels.  Mind you, I spent part of my childhood near the Smoky Mountains, so reading the books is like going home, but they're magical and lyrical, and I hated to finish each one.  I accidentally read them out of order, and I don't think it made me enjoy them less.

Learn more about Her Reason to Stay.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've gotten backed up the last year or two so I haven't read her most recent books, but I've written everything else Sharyn McCrumb has written.  She's incredibly versatile, from light, quirky mysteries (the Elizabeth McPherson series is fun) to haunting, complex stories that will stay with you for years.

My favorite title of hers is probably Bimbos of the Death Sun.  My favorite books of hers is She Walks These Hills, one of her Appalachian tales.  I highly recommend this author!

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Anna_Adams wrote:

Bonnie, I love Sharyn McCrumb's ballad novels.  Mind you, I spent part of my childhood near the Smoky Mountains, so reading the books is like going home, but they're magical and lyrical, and I hated to finish each one.  I accidentally read them out of order, and I don't think it made me enjoy them less.

I am trying to read them in order, but am not sure it matters either. Some of the same characters are in the first few I think, but they stand alone.

I have lived in WVA and went to school in the Western NC mts (and now live in the foothills near VA) so it is special to hear names I recognize reading books.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I've gotten backed up the last year or two so I haven't read her most recent books, but I've written everything else Sharyn McCrumb has written.  She's incredibly versatile, from light, quirky mysteries (the Elizabeth McPherson series is fun) to haunting, complex stories that will stay with you for years.

My favorite title of hers is probably Bimbos of the Death Sun.  My favorite books of hers is She Walks These Hills, one of her Appalachian tales.  I highly recommend this author!

I'll have to check out her lighter series too. I have SWTH now, but think The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter comes before it.
Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

Bonnie, I just discovered I didn't read the first Ballad novel.  How lucky am I?  I get to read a whole new Sharyn M. book!

I read one of her lighter ones, too, Becke.  I can't remember the title all of a sudden, but a suspected criminal lived next to a cemetary in it.  It was such a funny/tragic story--and really good!

Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

And, Bonnie, I meant to say--it sounds as if we've been almost neighbors a time or two.  I love the places you've lived.  I was in East TN, and one of my favorite places was Herndon, VA.  Close enough to the Blue Ridge that we went often--and I just loved living that close to D.C.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Anna_Adams wrote:
And, Bonnie, I meant to say--it sounds as if we've been almost neighbors a time or two.  I love the places you've lived.  I was in East TN, and one of my favorite places was Herndon, VA.  Close enough to the Blue Ridge that we went often--and I just loved living that close to D.C.

I was born overseas (Scotland), raised an AF brat and married AF, so it seems like I have been almost neighbors to most people I meet! If not personally, then I have family or friends living there I have visited. The internet sure narrows the world.

Bonnie

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mmmm, I have a Sharon McCrumb novel in my TBR pile that I picked up for a song when the library was thinning it's shelves not sure of the title though. Now it goes closer to the top of the pile. Thanks  

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

The minute I read this post, the lightbulb over my head went on. Ah ha  I think I too have one of her books I bought from the spring library sale and lo and behold I do. Anyone read Rosewood Casket?

Kaye

dhaupt wrote:

Mmmm, I have a Sharon McCrumb novel in my TBR pile that I picked up for a song when the library was thinning it's shelves not sure of the title though. Now it goes closer to the top of the pile. Thanks  

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Read that one awhile ago.  I googled it to refresh my memory and found a couple of interesting links:

http://www.who-dunnit.com/reviews/121/

Yes, I did read this one (I had to double-check since I'm terrible with titles) and it's one of the Appalachian series.  I also found that it's being made into a movie:

http://www.sharynmccrumb.com/rosewood_casket.html

Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

Becke, thanks so much for the links  I'm only breaking away from reading to thank you. 

The Rosewood Casket was the first I read in the series, and I'm thinking I need to pick it up again.  I'm getting homesick just looking at the pictures on SM's site!

Thanks again, Becke! :smileyhappy:

Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

Hey, Debbie!  Nice to see you over here.  We're getting around!  :smileywink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

McCrumb is really a great writer.  I'm thinking I need to pick up her newer books since I've missed a couple of those.  I don't think I've ever been disappointed after reading one of hers.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Thanks for the links Becke I appreciate it! It seems half the things in my favorites list are related to books!

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Yes, I have read all of her books. Yes, she walks these hills was very good. It was named after a country song. Ghost Riders was really good too. She does have a magical way of putting her words on paper to enhance the reading of each and every book of hers.And I guess my favorite was Rosewood Casket . She wrote about Dale Earnhart, I really didn't get into this novel like the rest of them. Its called St. Dale  which is her last one I think.  The Pms outlaws was so cute and funny even being a mystery.  I read the first ones she wrote that are not about the hills she was from. She has been to my city to speak at one of our colleges. I went to see her, she was really nice and friendly. I wonder why she doesnt write anymore.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

The minute I read this post, the lightbulb over my head went on. Ah ha  I think I too have one of her books I bought from the spring library sale and lo and behold I do. Anyone read Rosewood Casket?

Kaye

dhaupt wrote:

Hey Kay, you better read it! Can't believe you havent read any of  Sharyn McCrumb's novels. I love the titles of her blue ridge series. In my neck of the woods, no doubt. 
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Anna_Adams wrote:
Hey, Debbie!  Nice to see you over here.  We're getting around!  :smileywink:
Hey to you too Anna, I hope your summer is going good, now get back to your reading and your writing. I'm impatiently waiting for your next book.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sharon McCrumb is still writing.  She has a new book out -- more info on this and her other books is on her website.  Here is a link:

http://www.sharynmccrumb.com/

kiakar wrote:
Yes, I have read all of her books. Yes, she walks these hills was very good. It was named after a country song. Ghost Riders was really good too. She does have a magical way of putting her words on paper to enhance the reading of each and every book of hers.And I guess my favorite was Rosewood Casket . She wrote about Dale Earnhart, I really didn't get into this novel like the rest of them. Its called St. Dale  which is her last one I think.  The Pms outlaws was so cute and funny even being a mystery.  I read the first ones she wrote that are not about the hills she was from. She has been to my city to speak at one of our colleges. I went to see her, she was really nice and friendly. I wonder why she doesnt write anymore.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

And I just realized I've been spelling her name wrong all this time: Sharyn McCrumb is correct.