Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ruth, old Poirot reruns are being shown on one of my local PBS stations (I think it's the NH one), so, if you're lucky, you may find it on a PBS station in your area.  A&E has changed so much since the days when they showed great British programming.  It's a shame.

optic_i, Game of Thrones is shown on HBO.

Hi dulcinea,  Thanks,  I don't have HBO, so I down loaded the Game of Thrones e-book instead. I just started reading it and even thou I don't usually read fantasy, I like it it's very well written !   :smileyhappy:  Optic

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ruth, old Poirot reruns are being shown on one of my local PBS stations (I think it's the NH one), so, if you're lucky, you may find it on a PBS station in your area.  A&E has changed so much since the days when they showed great British programming.  It's a shame.

Hi dulcinea,  Thanks,  I don't have HBO, so I down loaded the Game of Thrones e-book instead. I just started reading it and even thou I don't usually read fantasy, I like it it's very well written !   :smileyhappy:  Optic_I

_______

I agree, dulcinea3, that it's a shame about A&E. I remember watching Sherlock Holmes episodes there and some of the classic Agatha Christie films and BBC productions. I don't have HBO, or e-book format like Optic_ i, so I won't be watching Game of Thrones. I have seen the trailers for it, and think I would like to watch it at some point in the future, like maybe when it gets released in DVD format.

BTW, did ANYONE get to see the newest version of Great Expectations?  I'm hoping that it will be released sometime soon on my local PBS station.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

"A&E has changed so much since the days when they showed great British programming.  It's a shame."

Agreed!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

optic_i wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Hi dulcinea,  Thanks,  I don't have HBO, so I down loaded the Game of Thrones e-book instead. I just started reading it and even thou I don't usually read fantasy, I like it it's very well written !   :smileyhappy:  Optic_I

_______

I agree, dulcinea3, that it's a shame about A&E. I remember watching Sherlock Holmes episodes there and some of the classic Agatha Christie films and BBC productions. I don't have HBO, or e-book format like Optic_ i, so I won't be watching Game of Thrones. I have seen the trailers for it, and think I would like to watch it at some point in the future, like maybe when it gets released in DVD format.

BTW, did ANYONE get to see the newest version of Great Expectations?  I'm hoping that it will be released sometime soon on my local PBS station.

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season   was just released on DVD in March. I highly recommend finding it! It's very loyal to the novel. So far with episode one completed, I can say the same of season two, but there's much more to come.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I was planning to watch Great Expectations tonight, but I'm tempted to go see

Titanic  in IMAX 3D. I was thinking about taking my son, but I don't think he'd like it in 3D, so we can go see it in the regular presentation at another time, or even on DVD ANYTIME. My husband has to work tonight, and so it's me alone on Spring Break (my kids are in Florida at WDW with my parents).

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I saw Great Expectation, but I think I already saw it last year.

BTW, I agree with Ruth - Game of Thrones is definitely a series I would like to own!  I loved it!  Although I may wait until such time as the entire series is over, and see if they come out with a complete set.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I saw Great expectations on my local PBS on Sunday night.  Fricka it looked like the version in the Ad you posted. So it will be broadcast to more stations soon.

That's a great idea to get Game of Thrones HBO series on DVD. I think it would help to see the characters and settings. I am reading the first book now, and their is a lot to remember !   

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Fricka wrote:

I saw Great Expectation, but I think I already saw it last year.

BTW, I agree with Ruth - Game of Thrones is definitely a series I would like to own!  I loved it!  Although I may wait until such time as the entire series is over, and see if they come out with a complete set!

That may be a looong wait... the books are not done yet, there are going to be at least two more (for a total of 7) from what I hear, and the HBO producers haven't promised to stay true to the series for the long haul, but... Martin is notoriously long-coming with the installments.
I'm going to enjoy them while I can. Life is too short!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

If Martin takes years to come out with the rest of the series, I doubt that the TV adaptation will follow it.  If there are several years between each book, for example, it seems unlikely that they will wait that long to film another season, and the actors, particularly the kids, would grow out of their roles in the meantime.  Also, people will lose interest if they have to wait years for the next installment on TV.  Maybe they'll just do as many books as are out by the time they catch up.

I waited until Lost was over to get a complete set, and it was worth the wait!!!  All kinds of extras!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Well, I got to view the second part of Great Expectations(finally!) last evening. Have to admit, it was difficult to follow in places, as the lighting was pretty dim in many of the scenes, and some of the actors were so soft-spoken, I couldn't quite hear their lines. But the acting was, apart from that, uniformly excellent. I can still hardly believe that was Gillian Anderson as Miss Haversham! Think Ms. Anderson is becoming quite the BBC/Dickens actress, as this is the second Dickens story(that I know of) that she's been in. Did any of you see her in Bleak House? Again, I hardly realized that the actress playing the part she  used to be playing opposite David Duchovny in The X Files! What a transformation!

I also enjoyed the scenes where Pip was confronting the solicitor in charge of his funds, very nicely played by David Suchet. I'm so used to his being Poirot, it is always a bit of a shock to hear him speaking "real" British English, and not the fractured version he speaks as HP. Ray Winstone was also excellent as Magwitch. Do any of you know the name of the actor who played Gargery(if I have the name right), Pip's brother/guardian? That scene where his character confronted Pip in his chambers at school, and realizied that Pip was ashamed of him, was very moving. So much of Dickens has to do with Class differences, the treatment of Children, and the British Prison system, and we saw that echoed very strongly in Great Expectations. I just wish I could have seen Part One, first. Maybe I'll get this version on DVD when it becomes available.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Well, I got to view the second part of Great Expectations(finally!) last evening. Have to admit, it was difficult to follow in places, as the lighting was pretty dim in many of the scenes, and some of the actors were so soft-spoken, I couldn't quite hear their lines. But the acting was, apart from that, uniformly excellent. I can still hardly believe that was Gillian Anderson as Miss Haversham! Think Ms. Anderson is becoming quite the BBC/Dickens actress, as this is the second Dickens story(that I know of) that she's been in. Did any of you see her in Bleak House? Again, I hardly realized that the actress playing the part she  used to be playing opposite David Duchovny in The X Files! What a transformation!

I also enjoyed the scenes where Pip was confronting the solicitor in charge of his funds, very nicely played by David Suchet. I'm so used to his being Poirot, it is always a bit of a shock to hear him speaking "real" British English, and not the fractured version he speaks as HP. Ray Winstone was also excellent as Magwitch. Do any of you know the name of the actor who played Gargery(if I have the name right), Pip's brother/guardian? That scene where his character confronted Pip in his chambers at school, and realizied that Pip was ashamed of him, was very moving. So much of Dickens has to do with Class differences, the treatment of Children, and the British Prison system, and we saw that echoed very strongly in Great Expectations. I just wish I could have seen Part One, first. Maybe I'll get this version on DVD when it becomes available.

You just reminded me, David Suchet was also in a production of this Terry Padgett book:

Going Postal  

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I'll never forget the shock at David Suchet playing a terrorist in

Executive Decision  .Weird!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

I'll never forget the shock at David Suchet playing a terrorist in

Executive Decision  .Weird!

That's a great movie! David Suchet was SCARY in it!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

David Suchet was also in one of the BBC's dramatic productions of "The Way We Live." At the time, I was surprised to find that Shirley Henderson(who played Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter films) was his daughter in that.

For anyone who's interested, there's SUPPOSED to be a production of The Mystery of Edwin Drood on PBS tonight. I've never read Dickens' book, and I'm a bit curious to find out how the writers of this production end the story. I'm still pretty wiped out physically, though-- as I mentioned in another thread, I feel like I'm taking another cold, and my energy level is not very high, so I doubt I would be able to stay awake for the whole episode.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I did see The Mystery of Edwin Drood last night.  I had never read the novel, either, so I don't know where Dickens' story left off and the screenwriter's picked up.  I enjoyed it; it was quite dark, even for Dickens.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I did see The Mystery of Edwin Drood last night.  I had never read the novel, either, so I don't know where Dickens' story left off and the screenwriter's picked up.  I enjoyed it; it was quite dark, even for Dickens.

I read that one years ago. I'm a Dickens fan in one sense - I love some of his books, but not all of them. This one wasn't a favorite.

Last night we rented an episode of The Last Detective instead:

Last Detective: Series 1 

Last Detective - Series 2 

Last Detective - Series 3 

Last Detective - Series 4 

Last Detective - The Complete Collection      

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Masterpiece Classic is on tonight - Part 1 of Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - love that book!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:
Masterpiece Classic is on tonight - Part 1 of Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - love that book!

*sigh* My brother gave me that book awhile ago - it's still in the TBR pile.

Birdsong  

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

*sigh* My brother gave me that book awhile ago - it's still in the TBR pile.

Birdsong  

Great story!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Has time really passed that quickly? It seems it is now time for Sherlock, season 2:

Click to watch

In three thrilling new episodes, consulting detective Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch, The Last Enemy, War Horse) teams up with former army doctor and beleaguered friend John Watson (The Hobbit, The Office UK) to solve a dizzying array of crimes with his signature deductive reasoning and his stunning lack of social grace. From Belgravia mansions to windswept moors, the dynamic, if dysfunctional duo battles diabolical — and greatly-anticipated — villains, including a computer-savvy arch-villain who wants to rule the world and a hound from the hinges of Hell. Co-created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who, Coupling) and Mark Gatiss (Doctor Who, The League of Gentlemen), season 2 of Sherlock also stars Lara Pulver (True Blood), Russell Tovey (Little Dorrit) and Andrew Scott (Lennon Naked).

Episodes of Sherlock Season 2

May 6, 2012
A Scandal in Belgravia
Picking up from season 1's gripping cliff-hanger, the whip-smart Irene Adler (Lara Pulver, True Blood) takes on Sherlock in a game he is ill-prepared to fight...love.

May 13, 2012
The Hounds of Baskerville
Sherlock and Watson track a gigantic hound to Baskerville, where the military is conducting top-secret experiments. But whether demonic or dubious, something is stalking the moors...

May 20, 2012
The Reichenbach Fall
The crime of the century is just a prelude for the unhinged criminal mastermind, Jim Moriarty (Andrew Scott, Lennon Naked), when he poses the diabolical and inescapable "final problem" to Sherlock.

Barbara Peters talked briefly about the new Sherlock series yesterday, at the CozyCon. She has had an exclusive sneak peek at the series, and she said it is really good. She did not care much for the first series(I liked some parts of the episodes, but not others, so I was glad to hear that the new series is better).Oh yeah, and there's supposed to be a Macguffin in A Scandal in Belgravia. Now if I can just spot it before the end...