becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Wow, it sure is clear that the writers of this series are taking some liberties in up-dating the Sherlock Holmes storyline. My jaw about dropped to my waistline when I saw the scene with the totally naked Irene Adler, and on top of that, she kept making remarks that were clearly in the M/S range. Not a show for the kiddies, oh, no!

I will say that the episode as a whole was more focused throughout than the ones in the first season. Don't know that I apporve of all the overt sexuality in this episode, though.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Wow, it sure is clear that the writers of this series are taking some liberties in up-dating the Sherlock Holmes storyline. My jaw about dropped to my waistline when I saw the scene with the totally naked Irene Adler, and on top of that, she kept making remarks that were clearly in the M/S range. Not a show for the kiddies, oh, no!

I will say that the episode as a whole was more focused throughout than the ones in the first season. Don't know that I apporve of all the overt sexuality in this episode, though.

It was definitely risque! Since it was made in England, where there is a LOT more nudity on television than we have, I think they had her nudity somewhat disguised to cater to the American audience. When I moved to England years ago, one of the first shows I saw on British TV was a documentary on a nudist colony. They filmed people grocery shopping in the altogether - all I could think was "Brrr!"

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

It was an interesting, if somewhat confusing, episode.  I guess the Maguffin was the photos with the young female royal (who would that be - is it supposed to be based on a real person?).  Of course, Irene Adler was the one woman that Sherlock appeared to fall in love with, although this modern Sherlock was less involved, but I think he was somewhat touched by her.  I didn't think that she died in the original story, though, although I might be mistaken.

Looking forward to The Hound of the Baskervilles next week!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

It was an interesting, if somewhat confusing, episode.  I guess the Maguffin was the photos with the young female royal (who would that be - is it supposed to be based on a real person?).  Of course, Irene Adler was the one woman that Sherlock appeared to fall in love with, although this modern Sherlock was less involved, but I think he was somewhat touched by her.  I didn't think that she died in the original story, though, although I might be mistaken.

Looking forward to The Hound of the Baskervilles next week!

It wasn't real clear at the end but my husband thought Sherlock's message to her meant he was setting up a diversion to help her escape. So maybe she's alive after all.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I know some members here probably liked the old Inspector Morse series. Tonight, there's a prequel which has a young Endeavor Morse.

I'm inclucing infor for Endeavor, and then there's going to be another season of Inspector Lewis.

Endeavour
Before his signature red Jaguar, before Inspector Morse, there was the rookie Constable Morse. Shaun
Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays the young Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force in
Oxford with no track record yet and his future on the line.
Jul 1 (Jul 2 – 31) “Endeavour”
INSPECTOR LEWIS
Kevin Whately is back in four new episodes as Inspector Lewis. With his young partner DS Hathaway
(Laurence Fox), they continue solving cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford.
Jul 8 (Jul 9 – Aug 7) “The Soul of Genius”
Jul 15 (Jul 16 – Aug 14) “Generation of Vipers”
Jul 22 (Jul 23 – Aug 21) “Fearful Symmetry”
Jul 29 (Jul 30 – Aug 28) “The Indelible Stain”
Aug 26 (Aug 27 – Sept 25) “The Mind Has Mountains” (Encore)
Sept 2 (Sept 3 – Oct 2) “The Gift of Promise” (Encore)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

A Quick P.S.

Here's a link to a short video which features an interview with Abigail Thaw, the daughter of the late John Thaw, who played Morse. She has a cameo on Endeavor which airs tonight.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2250803450/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rats, I wanted to see that. Now we have no power. I was mistaken when I said the power company was estimating the power would be back at noon tomorrow.

Now they're saying MIDNIGHT tomorrow. So if you don't see me around tomorrow, that will be why. My laptop battery won't last that long.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Awwww, sorry to hear that, becke. However, I'm sure there will be an encore presentation, and also the episode will be available for viewing on the PBS website for about a month, so you should be able to get to see it soon. In the meantime, I hope you are staying cool. On a different thread, I suggested going to a motel if it gets too hot in your house. At least then you'd be cool and you could have access for plugging in your lap-top! Of course, you'd want to make sure you got to an area where the power wasn't down, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Awwww, sorry to hear that, becke. However, I'm sure there will be an encore presentation, and also the episode will be available for viewing on the PBS website for about a month, so you should be able to get to see it soon. In the meantime, I hope you are staying cool. On a different thread, I suggested going to a motel if it gets too hot in your house. At least then you'd be cool and you could have access for plugging in your lap-top! Of course, you'd want to make sure you got to an area where the power wasn't down, too.

The power is back but our cable has been out for awhile. Hopefully it will come back sometime today so I can watch a repeat performance!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I enjoyed Endeavor, and am looking forward to the new Inspector Lewis episodes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I know some members here probably liked the old Inspector Morse series. Tonight, there's a prequel which has a young Endeavor Morse.

I'm inclucing infor for Endeavor, and then there's going to be another season of Inspector Lewis.

Endeavour
Before his signature red Jaguar, before Inspector Morse, there was the rookie Constable Morse. Shaun
Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays the young Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force in
INSPECTOR LEWIS
Kevin Whately is back in four new episodes as Inspector Lewis. With his young partner DS Hathaway
(Laurence Fox), they continue solving cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford.

Thanks Fricka ! 

I will keep an eye out for " Endeavour "  and I really like the inspector Lewis series too ! 

Optic :smileyhappy: 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Endeavour
INSPECTOR LEWIS

Thanks Fricka ! 

I will keep an eye out for " Endeavour "  and I really like the inspector Lewis series too ! 

Optic :smileyhappy: 

I'm soooo looking forward to the new Lewis episodes!