becke_davis

Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

Upcoming Broadcasts – Mark Your Calendars!

“Six by Agatha” –Sundays, June 21 to July 26, 2009 on PBS (check local listings)

With grey cells firing and knitting needles clicking, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple make their

triumphant return to PBS in “Six by Agatha,” a half dozen whodunits by the greatest mystery author of all time. David Suchet (Henry VIII, The Way We Live Now)reprises his signature role of the Belgian private eye who cracks cases with the help of his “little grey cells,” and award-winning actress Julia McKenzie (Cranford)debuts as the newest grandmotherly sleuth.

Hercule Poirot:

“Cat Among the Pigeons”—Sunday, June 21,2009 at 9pm

“Mrs. McGinty’s Dead”—Sunday, June 28,2009 at 9pm

Miss Marple, Series IV:

“A Pocket Full of Rye”—Sunday, July 5, 2009 at 9pm

“Murder is Easy”—Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 9pm

“They Do it With Mirrors”—Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 9pm

“Why Didn’t They Ask Evans?”—Sunday, July 26, 2009 at 9pm 

becke_davis

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

While there is no guarantee the televised versions will be the same as the books, I thought I'd lead us into the new series of Christie mysteries by posting brief summaries of the featured stories.

Sunday's feature is CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS, a personal favorite of mine. This blurb is from www.agathachristie.com:

Cat Among the Pigeons

In a palace in Ramat a prince entrusts a packet of jewels to his pilot, in the hope that he can smuggle them to England. But before the packet reaches its destination the prince and the pilot are both dead.  Then a frightened girl brings Hercule Poirot one of the most challenging cases of his long and brilliant career.  A killer is terrorizing a famous school for girls; an unsuspecting student has become a magnet for evil and death. Somehow the two cases are linked and only Poirot can solve this double mystery.

In this book Christie introduced Mr Robinson.   A member of a financial syndicate called The Arrangers, he also appears in Postern of Fate and Passenger to Frankfurt.

Anthony Boucher in his review in the New York Times wrote, “To read Agatha Christie at her best is to experience the rarefied pleasure of watching a faultless technician at work, and she is in top form in Cat Among the Pigeons.”  This novel has been filmed for television with David Suchet as Poirot.

becke_davis

Poirot is back on Sunday, June 28 with MRS. MCGINTY'S DEAD. Recently, we had author Kate Summerscale as a visitor to this board. Her book THE SUSPICIONS OF MR. WHICHER has a tie-in with this book. Here's another blurb from www.agathachristie.com:

Mrs. McGinty's Dead

Mrs McGinty dies from a brutal blow to the back of her head.  Suspicion immediately falls on her shifty lodger, James Bentley, whose clothes reveal traces of the victim's blood and hair.  Yet something is amiss:  Bentley just doesn't look like a murderer.  Poirot believes he can save the man from the gallows - what he doesn't realise is that his own life is now in great danger...

First published in 1952, the novel was adapted by MGM in 1964, and released as 'Murder Most Foul'. The character of Hercule Poirot was replaced by Jane Marple, played by Margaret Rutherford. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

More from www.agathachristie.com -- news about the exciting find that has been in the news lately:

The collection of 27 reels of tape, comprising 13½ hours of Christie’s voice, have been positively identified as the original tapes onto which the author dictated her autobiography. The recordings were discovered by Mathew Prichard in a cardboard box in a storeroom at Christie’s former home outside Torquay earlier this year. Also discovered alongside the tapes was the Grundig Memorette reel-to-reel tape recorder on which the recordings were made. The tapes comprise approximately the final third of the manuscript of Christie's 500-page autobiography and are believed to date from the early to mid-1960s. Christie began writing the book in Iraq in April 1950 and completed it some 15 years later in England in October 1965. Agatha Christie: An Autobiography was published posthumously in 1977. The astonishing find, which comprises completely unedited material, goes into far greater detail about some aspects of Christie’s life than the finished book, including philosophical musings and reflections on her life and times.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

[ Edited ]

I'm about two-thirds through Cat Among the Pigeons.  I've always liked this one, too - I usually like school settings, whether private schools or universities.  Unfortunately, my TV died a few days ago, and I don't know whether I will have a new one in time for the show!  I will try; that is the upcoming show that I most want to see.

I thought that Mr. Robinson had some connection with Tommy and Tuppence!  Thanks for the info on his also being in Postern of Fate!  I found this interesting website/page, that has some links between various Christie sleuths, and it also says that he was in At Bertram's Hotel, which is a Marple novel.

Cat Among the Pigeons also ties in with Mrs. McGinty's Dead.  I used to make notes in books if there were references to other books in the series, and apparently Julia knows someone that Poirot knew in that novel (so, chronologically, the novels must have been in the opposite order from how we're seeing the shows).

That's interesting about the tapes!  (and, for those who might not know, Mathew Prichard is Christie's grandson)

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 06-19-2009 11:54 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis

[ Edited ]

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm about two-thirds through Cat Among the Pigeons.  I've always liked this one, too - I usually like school settings, whether private schools or universities.  Unfortunately, my TV died a few days ago, and I don't know whether I will have a new one in time for the show!  I will try; that is the upcoming show that I most want to see.

I thought that Mr. Robinson had some connection with Tommy and Tuppence!  Thanks for the info on his also being in Postern of Fate!  I found this interesting website/page, that has some links between various Christie sleuths, and it also says that he was in At Bertram's Hotel, which is a Marple novel.

Cat Among the Pigeons also ties in with Mrs. McGinty's Dead.  I used to make notes in books if there were references to other books in the series, and apparently Julia knows someone that Poirot knew in that novel (so, chronologically, the novels must have been in the opposite order from how we're seeing the shows).

That's interesting about the tapes!  (and, for those who might not know, Mathew Prichard is Christie's grandson)

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 06-19-2009 11:54 AM

I hope your TV is working soon -- I'm sure these episodes will be repeated. 

I always thought it was interesting the way Christie described the name "Robinson" as if it were as common as Smith or Jones. (Or Davis.) I wonder if it was especially common in England?

Message Edited by becke_davis on 06-19-2009 11:59 AM
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I already have my DVR set for tomorrow night.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:
I already have my DVR set for tomorrow night.
So do I!

Contributor
brendi
0 Kudos

My DVR is set too. I found the paperback at a local used book store,  I am hoping to read the book and watch the movie later in the week.  Is it a quick read?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

To me, all Agatha Christie books are fast reads.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

“Six by Agatha” –Sundays, June 21 to July 26, 2009 on PBS (check local listings) -- don't forget to tune in!
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
“Six by Agatha” –Sundays, June 21 to July 26, 2009 on PBS (check local listings) -- don't forget to tune in!

I have a new TV, and I'm tuned in right now!  I finished the book last night.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
brendi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dulcinea3 -

This is a really fun Poirot website.... thanks for your research!

(I haven't figured out how to cut and paste you original message into my reply! )

Message Edited by brendi on 06-21-2009 06:45 PM
Message Edited by brendi on 06-21-2009 06:46 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

So what did you all think of the new Poirot episode? I was very nervous (because I hate it when the stories are changed) but I was THRILLED with CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS. It had a bit of Harry Potter about it, as well as a brilliant cast.

I am now extremely excited about the rest of this series, because this episode far exceeded my expectations.

Here is Rebecca Eaton to tell you more about the new season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-zy4LkbU8E 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just finished watching it and I loved every bit of it.  I loved this series as a kid and was glad to see they kept some of the Edward Gorey illustrations for the begining.  I already have my DVR programmed for the rest of the shows.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Clea_Simon
0 Kudos

OK, I'll have to check it out! I'm glad they kept at least some of the great Gorey drawings.
"Probable Claws," April '09
"Shades of Grey," Sept. '09
http://www.cleasimon.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

It was enjoyable, and Suchet was great, as usual, but it bore only a superficial resemblance to the novel.  Of course, I expected that, because Poirot did not enter the novel until more than two thirds through, so I knew they would need to get him involved early on.  The voodoo doll completely confused me, and I wondered how they were going to handle the murder of Miss Vansittart by Miss Chadwick, because they had combined those two characters into one!  I liked it, though.  Maybe it's better not to read the novels; this might not be the greatest move on PBS' part.  Especially later, during the Marple episodes, when many readers will discover that she wasn't even in some of the novels that they have her in in the series.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

brendi wrote:

Dulcinea3 -

This is a really fun Poirot website.... thanks for your research!

(I haven't figured out how to cut and paste you original message into my reply! )

Hi brendi - you're welcome!  When you want to include a post in a reply, click on "Reply" at the top of the specific post that you want to quote, and then when the reply box comes up, click on "Quote Post" to the upper right.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It wasn't exactly the same as the book, but I don't mind giving screenwriters a little leeway as long as they don't change the overall plot. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Don't forget to watch or record the next new Poirot episode on PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY! tomorrow night. This week it's MRS. MCGINTY'S DEAD, a favorite of mine.

Mrs. McGinty's Dead (Hercule Poirot Series)  

If you want to read a sort-of tie-in, check out this true crime book: 

Suspicions of Mr. Whicher