Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: The Mousetrap

Becke,

I loved it.  After Then There Were None, I think it's my favorite book of hers so far.  Anne is a wonderful character and I wish she was utilized more in future books.  I wrote a review of it here for my blog.

becke_davis wrote:

What did you think of it, Ryan? That one is such a period piece, I have a special fondness for it:

Man in the Brown Suit 

Synopsis

How odd, Anne Beddingfeld thought, that the stranger caught her eye, recoiled in horror, and fell to his death on the rails of Hyde Park Underground Station. Odder still was a doctor in a brown suit who pronounced him dead and vanished into the crowd. But what really aroused Anne's suspicion was when she learned of the doctor's link to the murder of a famous ballerina, a fortune in hidden diamonds, and a crime-lord embroiled in blackmail. And most frightening of all was the attempt made on Anne's own life. But she is unable to resist the lure of an isolated mansion that could hold the solution to the bizarre mystery--even if she becomes the next victim...

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: The Mousetrap

I just posted on your blog, Ryan. I wonder why Agatha Christie didn't write more stories for Anne? She is such a great character! 

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

Ryan_G:

Our brains are in sync on this one!  I started the same project last fall!  My mother read all the Agatha Christies at least twice over the years and I am trying to do it at least once.   I was inspired by the Winter Bookclub run by my local library - I needed a Holiday-themed mystery, so I read Hercule Poirot's Christmas  I've read several novels since middle school and high school - infact I did a book report on The Mirror Crack'd (Miss Marple Series) in 7th grade, but I went back and started at the beginning.  I'm reading Mysterious Mr. Quin , a collection of short-stories.  I had to skip Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot Series) as I'm waiting for it to become available through my local library.  I may have to break down and buy it.

Best of luck and we'll have to keep track of each other as we go!

-- Ruth

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm getting ready to watch tonight's movie now.  I can't wait.

I have decided to start a new reading project though.  I am going to be reading and blogging about my quest to read every Agatha Christie mystery novel over the next year.  I just need to decide which book will be the first.  If anyone wants to follow along on my journey they can check it out at my blog Wordsmithonia (the title was inspired by QM Kathy)

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I finally finished The Secret Adversary and loved it.  It had been a while since I'd read the book  and I found it refreshing.  I posted a quick (not in depth) review on my blog if anyone wants to read it.

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2009/08/agatha-christie-challenge-secret.html

Ryan_G: I just read your review of "The Secret Adversary" and I feel the same way about Tommy and Tuppence!  I first read N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  back in middle school - it was my very first Agatha Christie reading experience, and I could NOT get enough of them!  I read all the T & T stories back then and watched all the BBC/PBS presentations of the stories.  Classic!  If you have Netflix or a good public library, you should check out these videos.  Of course, you can always buy them...
Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime, Set 1: Tommy  

Tommy & Tuppence: Partners in Crime Set 2  
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: AGATHA CHRISTIE WEEK

dulcinea3 wrote:

I think I've mentioned my favorites before:

Seven Dials Mystery 

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  

And that Tommy and Tuppence are my favorite recurring sleuths!

It would be difficult to choose more favorites, because I like so many of them so much!

Long live Tommy and Tuppence!  I was so disappointed with the merging of Miss Marple with the last Tommy & Tuppence on PBS Masterpiece Mystery! from the third series.  It made Tuppence look like a hapless afterthought, when she was the brains behind one of the greatest crime-solving pairs ever!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

It drives me crazy when the televised versions change the plots, detectives, etc. Admittedly, I don't know much about turning a book into a show, but this just mystifies me.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I think I've mentioned my favorites before:

Seven Dials Mystery 

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  

And that Tommy and Tuppence are my favorite recurring sleuths!

It would be difficult to choose more favorites, because I like so many of them so much!

Long live Tommy and Tuppence!  I was so disappointed with the merging of Miss Marple with the last Tommy & Tuppence on PBS Masterpiece Mystery! from the third series.  It made Tuppence look like a hapless afterthought, when she was the brains behind one of the greatest crime-solving pairs ever!

I know what you mean, Ruth!  I tried to pretend that it was just a different story, because it did have a good cast and the story was still interesting, but I was disappointed with what they did with Tommy and Tuppence's characters.  I mean, they made it seem like they were having marital problems!  So that Tommy barely even appeared in the episode.  Crazy!!!

When you say 'the last Tommy & Tuppence', maybe I'm misunderstanding, but By the Pricking of My Thumbs was not the last book featuring them.  That would be Postern of Fate, in which they are getting rather elderly!  That was the last mystery novel that Christie wrote.  Of course, the last novels featuring Poirot and Miss Marple were actually published later, but written many years earlier.

Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence Series) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Ruth I'm so happy that I'm not the only one on here now working my way through all the books.  I'm going to be very interested in reading what you think of all the books.  Have a great time with them.

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I finally finished The Secret Adversary and loved it.  It had been a while since I'd read the book  and I found it refreshing.  I posted a quick (not in depth) review on my blog if anyone wants to read it.

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2009/08/agatha-christie-challenge-secret.html

Ryan_G: I just read your review of "The Secret Adversary" and I feel the same way about Tommy and Tuppence!  I first read N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  back in middle school - it was my very first Agatha Christie reading experience, and I could NOT get enough of them!  I read all the T & T stories back then and watched all the BBC/PBS presentations of the stories.  Classic!  If you have Netflix or a good public library, you should check out these videos.  Of course, you can always buy them...
Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime, Set 1: Tommy  

Tommy & Tuppence: Partners in Crime Set 2  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Secret of Chimneys  

I have a new Agatha Christie book in my top five.  I loved this book and it's characters.  If anyone wants to this is the Link to the review on my blog.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Secret of Chimneys  

I have a new Agatha Christie book in my top five.  I loved this book and it's characters.  If anyone wants to this is the Link to the review on my blog.

Oh yes, Ryan - I love this one! I think it's overlooked a lot, too.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Dulcinea3: 
The "last Tommy & Tuppence" I referred to was the story produced by PBS in the 2nd series on "Masterpiece Mystery!" starring Geraldine McEwan as Miss Marple, which was a retelling of "By the Pricking of My Thumbs," which has Tuppence suffering a sort-of mid-life crisis in the book, but she just seemed batty in the "Mystery!" and showed Miss Marple responsible for all the sleuthing.
-- Ruth

dulcinea3 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bassoon_mommy12 wrote:

I know what you mean, Ruth!  I tried to pretend that it was just a different story, because it did have a good cast and the story was still interesting, but I was disappointed with what they did with Tommy and Tuppence's characters.  I mean, they made it seem like they were having marital problems!  So that Tommy barely even appeared in the episode.  Crazy!!!

When you say 'the last Tommy & Tuppence', maybe I'm misunderstanding, but By the Pricking of My Thumbs was not the last book featuring them.  That would be Postern of Fate, in which they are getting rather elderly!  That was the last mystery novel that Christie wrote.  Of course, the last novels featuring Poirot and Miss Marple were actually published later, but written many years earlier.

Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence Series) 

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Ryan:

I can't wait until you get to Seven Dials Mystery  which stars Eileen "Bundle" Brent of Secret of Chimneys   fame.

I'm having a hard time getting through Mysterious Mr. Quin; having a cold might have something to do with it.  I'm excited that my copy of "And Then There Were None" just arrived at the library for me!

-- Ruth

Ryan_G wrote:

Secret of Chimneys  

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

OMG, Ruth, you beat me to it!  I was going to ask Ryan if Bundle caught his attention in this novel, and tell him that he will enjoy her even more in The Seven Dials Mystery (which is my favorite, as you saw above)!

Mr. Quin is interesting and mysterious, but I agree that the stories featuring him are not among my favorites.  I think that Becke really likes him, however!  Or at least Mr. Satterthwaite!

You're going to be discussing And Then There Were None with us over at Literature by Women next month, aren't you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I do like Mr. Quin, but my favorite of Christie's odd characters is Mr. Parker Pyne. I really enjoyed that book. And I LOVE Bundle Brent!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

OMG, Ruth, you beat me to it!  I was going to ask Ryan if Bundle caught his attention in this novel, and tell him that he will enjoy her even more in The Seven Dials Mystery (which is my favorite, as you saw above)!

Mr. Quin is interesting and mysterious, but I agree that the stories featuring him are not among my favorites.  I think that Becke really likes him, however!  Or at least Mr. Satterthwaite!

You're going to be discussing And Then There Were None with us over at Literature by Women next month, aren't you?

Dulcinea3:

I love Mr. Satterthwaite, myself.  I'm about halfway through.  *sigh*  I just don't find them as cohesive as the collection of short stories in Poirot Investigates. One of the many strengths in Christie's novels is the depth of character and so MANY characters!  In the short stories here, there's no room for that, and with the Poirot collections, and even The Big Four (Hercule Poirot Series)  which is kindof like a collection of short stories if you ask me, you are already acquainted with the most important characters.  I'm kindof wishing for a funky twist where Mr. Quin is really an alternate personality of Satterthwaite and Mr. Q. doesn't even really exist outside the first short story - Satterthwaite lost his mind, or something.

I most definitely will be discussing "And Then There Were None!"  As a young reader, this was the first book I came across with different titles and my mom explained to me why; I think she even had some alternately titled copies on her shelf.  I admit, I've already started reading it a bit since my copy already came in from the library hold.  I can't wait to arrive at Indian Island!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love Mr. Satterthwaite, too. He's also in the Three Act Tragedy, another favorite of mine:

Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot Series)

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

How far down the list is this book?  I like Eileen but I loved Virginia.  I want her and Anthony to make another appearance though I know that's not likely.

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Ryan:

I can't wait until you get to Seven Dials Mystery  which stars Eileen "Bundle" Brent of Secret of Chimneys   fame.

I'm having a hard time getting through Mysterious Mr. Quin; having a cold might have something to do with it.  I'm excited that my copy of "And Then There Were None" just arrived at the library for me!

-- Ruth

Ryan_G wrote:

Secret of Chimneys  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I LOVED Virginia and Anthony and would have liked to see a lot more of them. As I recall, though, this was it.

If you're talking about A Three Act Tragedy, it was published in 1934 under the title A Murder in Three Acts. Mr. Satterthwaite first appeared in 1930, in The Mysterious Mr. Quin.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

How far down the list is this book?  I like Eileen but I loved Virginia.  I want her and Anthony to make another appearance though I know that's not likely.

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Ryan:

-- Ruth

Ryan_G wrote:

Secret of Chimneys  

Ryan_G:

"Seven Dials" is the 9th novel, but 10th (or 11th?) in publication order.  Same year (1929) as the Tommy & Tuppence short story collection.

I'm hopping out of order to read "And Then There Were None" along with the Women's Lit club here on B&N.  It's not significantly out of order - it's still mostly pre-WWII - and there are no recurring characters for time line's sake.  Plus, I've already read this one once, long ago, so... :smileyhappy:

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

When I was at Bouchercon, several of the authors on the "puzzlers" panel mentioned AND THEN THERE WERE NONE as their favorite Christie book.