Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

Just a reminder that Barnes and Noble is working with PBS Masterpiece MYSTERY! to promote the new line-up!

MASTERPIECE and BN.com give you access to experts connected to each of our programs. Post your questions and participate in the discussion.

Mystery Scene Magazine editor and co-publisher Kate Stine for “Six by Agatha” will spend a week with us starting July 5, and if you sign up for the MASTERPIECE e-newsletter for program alerts (now available in HTML) at pbs.org/masterpiece,  you can be entered to win a set of "Six by Agatha" books!

Learn More About “Six by Agatha”:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/christie/index.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MRS. MCGINTY'S DEAD debuts tonight - check your local listings!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Mrs. McGinty's Dead

I thought that this was quite a faithful adaptation of the novel.  There were a few minor changes, and also to make it fit into the time they cut some things out, like only two photographs instead of four, and they entirely left out Deirdre Henderson and her mother and stepfather, but they did a very good job.  And I enjoyed Zoe Wanamaker as Ariadne Oliver!  Mrs. Oliver is such a great character, and certainly more than a bit autobiographical.  Christie was able to express such things as Mrs. Oliver's getting a little sick of her foreign sleuth, and Mrs. Oliver's comments on dramatic adaptations of her novels should be required reading for anyone contemplating a Christie adaptation!

Next week we get to meet the 'new' Miss Marple!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mrs. McGinty's Dead

There was no mention of Constance Kent, so the story lost its connection to THE SUSPICIONS OF MR. WHICHER, which I had mentioned in an earlier post. I meant to check the book, because thought it was four pictures, too. Glad my memory is still holding up!

There was one clue (at the party where Mrs. Summerhayes goes on her little rant) that was missing, possibly because it would be harder to slip it in, unnoticed, on film than in print. Without giving away the murderer's identity (in case some of you who recorded the episode haven't seen it yet), I thought the climactic scene was very well done -- gave the murderer a little more depth. There was another small storyline that was changed a little - the story of the man originally convicted of the murder. I thought the book was more true to his character, but the way they tweaked it worked fine for television. 

I didn't think any of the things they cut affected the story, so I was fine with it. I love the new music that they're using in the background -- it makes me think of the Harry Potter movies, in a good way. David Suchet is an amazing actor, and by far my favorite Poirot. The program I watched recently on the life of Agatha Christie showed him being made up while he was being interviewed about Poirot's character, and it was almost spooky the way his voice and accent slipped into Poirot's without him seeming to realize it!

I really enjoyed these two new Poirots and I hope we'll see more of them.  Next week we meet the new Miss Marple. I'm hesitant, nervous but hopeful that I'll like her. 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm just now watching it, it's only been on for two minutes.  But I'm not sure how I feel about Alan Cummings as the host.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:
I'm just now watching it, it's only been on for two minutes.  But I'm not sure how I feel about Alan Cummings as the host.
I kind of think the whole host thing is unnecessary.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:
I kind of think the whole host thing is unnecessary.

(shrug) Though I was surprised at that particular choice, I think he's doing a fine job.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I like Alan Cumming a lot.  I'm not sure what connection he has to mystery that they chose him for hosting that segment of the overall series, but he's fine.  I really enjoyed the old-time hosts they had, such as Vincent Price and then Diana Rigg for Mystery!, and Alistair Cooke for Masterpiece Theatre, but they used to take more time and say more.  Now the hosts only say a few lines.  I still like it, but not as much.

I did enjoy rereading this novel.  I was intrigued by the four women in the photographs, and who in the village might be them or someone connected to them.  It gave the reader a real guessing game, beyond the usual guessing game of the murderer.  I actually expected there to be more than one of them in the village, although I thought that all four would be a bit much.  I had suspected that Eva Carpenter would turn out to be Lily Gamboll, although I didn't necessarily think she was the murderer.  Mrs. Rendell obviously was hiding something concerning anonymous letters, but I didn't think it was necessarily related.  I even thought that Maureen Summerhayes might be one of them, or a daughter, but I expected her to be innocent anyway.  Especially since it was Maureen Summerhayes that provided the link in Cat Among the Pigeons to the girl who went to Poirot with the jewels - she had stayed at the B&B and heard about Poirot there, which made her think of going to him.  They talked about the dogs going in and out of the windows, and Poirot's teaching Maureen to make an omelette.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

In the book, I got a much better sense of Poirot's fondness for Maureen Summerhayes, although I think it's pretty obvious why they had to tone that down for the movie. It would have made it too easy to see her innocence. Even in the book, I was sure it wasn't her, pretty early on.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

They were much more subtle with the adoption reference at the party, too.  I did catch what Maureen said to Robin in the book, which raised my suspicion (although I didn't guess the specifics of the situation), but in the movie he just made a remark to her that only implied the truth.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Don't forget -- the new Miss Marple debuts on PBS MYSTERY! tonight. Check local listings for the time. 

Miss Marple, Series IV:

“A Pocket Full of Rye”—Sunday, July 5, 2009 at 9pm

And this is what's up next: 

“Murder is Easy”—Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 9pm

“They Do it With Mirrors”—Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 9pm

“Why Didn’t They Ask Evans?”—Sunday, July 26, 2009 at 9pm 

Contributor
oline
0 Kudos

Is this where Kate Stine will be answering questions about Agatha Christie? My question: When we look back at Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers, who do you think best captured their society in their novels? I tend to think Christie remains more accessible to today's readers. What is your opinion, Kate?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Oline! As I understand it, Kate will be joining us tomorrow. I'm sure she'll answer your question first thing -- thanks for taking part in the discussion!

There is a new thread for her discussion. I'll ask her to check this thread, too, but anyone else with questions for Kate, please post them in the thread that has Kate Stine's name in the subject line. Thanks! 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-05-2009 07:54 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

So what did the rest of you think of the new Miss Marple? I liked Julia McKenzie a lot -- she's a little younger and more energetic than Joan Hickson's Miss Marple, but I think it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_McKenzie 

I love Geraldine McEwan as an actress (especially in the series "Mulberry") but I couldn't get into her portrayal of Miss Marple. I was really very happy with tonight's episode -- I liked it better than the one that was made several years ago.

Fantastic cast in tonight's episode! I recognized the detective from the British series MI5, which I think was called "Spooks" in England.

http://www.popmatters.com/tv/reviews/m/mi-5.shtml 

How many of you recognized the elderly cook at the pretty shopgirl, Miss Brown, from Are You Being Served? Wendy Richard died of breast cancer in February of this year -- this was her last role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Richard

http://pages.prodigy.net/glc/wrhp/html/home.htm

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I didn't like it for the first 15 minutes.  I felt the acting was a a little over the top and being played in a comedic way then the tone seemed to change and I was able to enjoy it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hmm. There was a lot of tongue-in-cheek at the beginning. Maybe they did it intentionally to give Miss Marple a more light-hearted introduction.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

How many of you recognized the elderly cook at the pretty shopgirl, Miss Brown, from Are You Being Served? Wendy Richard died of breast cancer in February of this year -- this was her last role.

What terrible news.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I know that this has nothing to do with the show we just watched but your posting about Wendy Richard passing away reminded me that I had just read that Mollie Sugden passed away a few days ago.  She played Mrs. Slocombe on Are You Being Served?  She was the whole reason I watched the show growing up. 

TiggerBear wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What terrible news.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I know that this has nothing to do with the show we just watched but your posting about Wendy Richard passing away reminded me that I had just read that Mollie Sugden passed away a few days agoShe played Mrs. Slocombe on Are You Being ServedShe was the whole reason I watched the show growing up

TiggerBear wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What terrible news.

Yeah I heard about that myself. Is it me, or are celebrity's dieing like flies?

Contributor
oline
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update on the discussion. I look forward to this.