Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

Keep in mind, though, Fricka, that those 'supporting characters' did not appear in all of the Poirot stories and novels.  Hastings, for example, moved to South America, got married, and was gone for years.

Ah, how am I going to decide what to watch tomorrow night?!?!  I hadn't known about Great Expectations, which is also one of my favorite Dickens novels!  But I think that the second season of Game of Thrones starts tomorrow, too, and I have been awaiting that so excitedly since the first season ended!  I don't know how the times will all work out, but maybe I will still be able to see Once Upon a Time, which I usually watch at 8.  Since they've had a few reruns on Masterpiece, I have to admit to watching Celebrity Apprentice instead, and once you start watching a season of a reality competition show, it's hard to leave it.  But I can easily watch that On Demand.  I'm pretty sure Game of Thrones will be On Demand, but PBS doesn't seem to make many shows available that way, so I should watch Great Expectations.  But I have been looking forward to Game of Thrones so much!  I think I will just have to watch that, and hope to catch Great Expectations in a rebroadcast later in the week.  Oh, the confusion!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Keep in mind, though, Fricka, that those 'supporting characters' did not appear in all of the Poirot stories and novels.  Hastings, for example, moved to South America, got married, and was gone for years.

Ah, how am I going to decide what to watch tomorrow night?!?!  I hadn't known about Great Expectations, which is also one of my favorite Dickens novels!  But I think that the second season of Game of Thrones starts tomorrow, too, and I have been awaiting that so excitedly since the first season ended!  I don't know how the times will all work out, but maybe I will still be able to see Once Upon a Time, which I usually watch at 8.  Since they've had a few reruns on Masterpiece, I have to admit to watching Celebrity Apprentice instead, and once you start watching a season of a reality competition show, it's hard to leave it.  But I can easily watch that On Demand.  I'm pretty sure Game of Thrones will be On Demand, but PBS doesn't seem to make many shows available that way, so I should watch Great Expectations.  But I have been looking forward to Game of Thrones so much!  I think I will just have to watch that, and hope to catch Great Expectations in a rebroadcast later in the week.  Oh, the confusion!!

Everyone is recommending Game of Thrones but I haven't watched it yet. We've been on a binge of old Poirot episodes from the first season all week. Fun!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

MASTERPIECE on PBSViking River Cruises
Great Expectations Episode 1 Premieres on MASTERPIECE Sunday, April 1, 2012 -- Watch a Preview

Gillian Anderson (Bleak House) stars as the iconic Miss Havisham in a stunning, new adaptation of Great Expectations based on the Charles Dickens classic. Douglas Booth, Ray Winstone and David Suchet also star. Don't miss the premiere of this two-episode miniseries on Sunday, April 1, 2012, at 9pm ET/CT on MASTERPIECE.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka, This looks very good ! Thanks for posting it . :smileyhappy:

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

All I see in Fricka's post is a picture and a large blank area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ah, how am I going to decide what to watch tomorrow night?!?!  I hadn't known about Great Expectations, which is also one of my favorite Dickens novels!  But I think that the second season of Game of Thrones starts tomorrow, too, and I have been awaiting that so excitedly since the first season ended!  I don't know how the times will all work out, but maybe I will still be able to see Once Upon a Time, which I usually watch at 8.  Since they've had a few reruns on Masterpiece, I have to admit to watching Celebrity Apprentice instead, and once you start watching a season of a reality competition show, it's hard to leave it.  But I can easily watch that On Demand.  I'm pretty sure Game of Thrones will be On Demand, but PBS doesn't seem to make many shows available that way, so I should watch Great Expectations.  But I have been looking forward to Game of Thrones so much!  I think I will just have to watch that, and hope to catch Great Expectations in a rebroadcast later in the week.  Oh, the confusion!!!

LOL I feel your pain! I will probably watch Amazing Race @ 8, and then Game of Thrones. I'm trying to get my husband into it, but he's not taken a bite from that apple yet. I have Great Expectations set to record. They will have it available on-line for the next two weeks, but if I remember rightly, you're on a dial-up, right? They do usually rebroadcast overnight at like 2 am sometime through the week (depends on the PBS station) and I often record on the DVR at that time to make sure I don't have too many shows recording at the same time.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ah, how am I going to decide what to watch tomorrow night?!?!  I hadn't known about Great Expectations, which is also one of my favorite Dickens novels!  But I think that the second season of Game of Thrones starts tomorrow, too, and I have been awaiting that so excitedly since the first season ended!  I don't know how the times will all work out, but maybe I will still be able to see Once Upon a Time, which I usually watch at 8.  Since they've had a few reruns on Masterpiece, I have to admit to watching Celebrity Apprentice instead, and once you start watching a season of a reality competition show, it's hard to leave it.  But I can easily watch that On Demand.  I'm pretty sure Game of Thrones will be On Demand, but PBS doesn't seem to make many shows available that way, so I should watch Great Expectations.  But I have been looking forward to Game of Thrones so much!  I think I will just have to watch that, and hope to catch Great Expectations in a rebroadcast later in the week.  Oh, the confusion!!

Everyone is recommending Game of Thrones but I haven't watched it yet. We've been on a binge of old Poirot episodes from the first season all week. Fun!

I've been borrowing my mom's copies of Cadfael and Poirot little by little. I have a a bunch of the Cadfael right now. I used to watch Poirot all the time when it was on A&E. Do they still broadcast it?

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi  dulcinea,  I see the big blank box also. Not sure what would be there, But if you click preview of ad for great expectations it brings you to times in your area for 4 PBS stations. We get 2 in CT. 1 in RI. 1 Boston. for our local PBS. Just have to find which one is showing it  tonight. The others will follow within a few  weeks. That's how I can catch up on new programs. 

Also Game Of Thrones. Where is that aired ?   

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been borrowing my mom's copies of Cadfael and Poirot little by little. I have a a bunch of the Cadfael right now. I used to watch Poirot all the time when it was on A&E. Do they still broadcast it?

Hi  everyone.  I wish they would get the Cadfael books in Nook Book format. They have so many of them too. I can hardly remember the Cadfael stories on PBS. If they had Poriot on A&E they may put Cadfael on at some point also.   :smileyhappy:  

Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My husband has Apple TV which has lots of old shows available for free. We like it because we can watch free oldies without commercials!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

My husband has Apple TV which has lots of old shows available for free. We like it because we can watch free oldies without commercials!

Hi Becke,  That sounds great !   What is Apple TV ?  I would love not having any commercials.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Becke,  That sounds great !   What is Apple TV ?  I would love not having any commercials.

Here you go:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Here you go:

Thanks Becke !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Here you go:

Thanks Becke !

Okay, he does have Apple TV, but when I checked he said he got the Poirot's on a free rental. Sorry I gave you the wrong tip!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

LOL I feel your pain! I will probably watch Amazing Race @ 8, and then Game of Thrones. I'm trying to get my husband into it, but he's not taken a bite from that apple yet. I have Great Expectations set to record. They will have it available on-line for the next two weeks, but if I remember rightly, you're on a dial-up, right? They do usually rebroadcast overnight at like 2 am sometime through the week (depends on the PBS station) and I often record on the DVR at that time to make sure I don't have too many shows recording at the same time.

Wow, Ruth, what a good memory you have!  Yes, I had dial-up, but in December I upgraded to a Comcast bundle, so now I have broadband!  It's so much better!  And now I have voicemail, and all sorts of additional features, too.  I'm actually not saving much at all over the total I was paying before, but I have a lot more.  One thing I don't like is that when the power goes out, I lose the phone, where before it worked during a black-out.

Anyway, it turned out that both Great Expectations and Game of Thrones repeated at 9 and 10, so it wasn't a problem, after all!  I watched Once Upon a Time at 8, Game of Thrones at 9, and Great Expectations at 10.  Once I started watching Great Expectations, I thought it seemed familiar, and I think I saw it last year.  I noticed that the year listed was 2011.  Gillian Anderson was very strange as Miss Havisham, and not at all how I have ever pictured that character.  I liked Ray Winstone as Magwitch, though.  I had seen Mark Addy in the opening credits, but didn't recognize him as Pumblechook until I saw the closing credits.  He is so versatile - quite a distance from Pumblechook, to the deceased King Robert on Game of Thrones, to the chubby friend in The Full Monty, to the police detective on The Thin Blue Line (in which Britcom I first saw him)!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ruth, old Poirot reruns are being shown on one of my local PBS stations (I think it's the NH one), so, if you're lucky, you may find it on a PBS station in your area.  A&E has changed so much since the days when they showed great British programming.  It's a shame.

optic_i, Game of Thrones is shown on HBO.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Sorry about that, dulcinea3. That happened because I started having posting problems right after I copied the picture. I HAD intended to write a few lines about my experience with previous productions of Great Expectations, but found I couldn't get my I-beam to "take" under the picture. I couldn't see that there was all that blank space underneath-- I just figured I would post my comments in a following post. That is when I sort of fell afoul of the gnomes april fooling, apparently, as all my lines became miniscule. ( Like around a 6 font, I'd guess). At that point, I just wanted to get OUT!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

P.S. to previous post

The irony of all this is that I found that my local PBS station was not airing Great Expectations! Instead, there was some kind of Titanic historical re-enactment. Bah, humbug! :catmad:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

P.S. to previous post

The irony of all this is that I found that my local PBS station was not airing Great Expectations! Instead, there was some kind of Titanic historical re-enactment. Bah, humbug! :catmad:

Frustrating!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Sorry about that, dulcinea3. That happened because I started having posting problems right after I copied the picture. I HAD intended to write a few lines about my experience with previous productions of Great Expectations, but found I couldn't get my I-beam to "take" under the picture. I couldn't see that there was all that blank space underneath-- I just figured I would post my comments in a following post. That is when I sort of fell afoul of the gnomes april fooling, apparently, as all my lines became miniscule. ( Like around a 6 font, I'd guess). At that point, I just wanted to get OUT!

That's ok, Fricka - I was afraid that you might have written a post there, and I couldn't see it to read what you had written!