Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY! **SPOILERS**

Thanks for sharing this, Ryan! I posted a comment and I'm following your posts now.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY! **SPOILERS**

Thank you Beck for dropping by.  I'm getting ready to start the next book so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

becke_davis wrote:
 Thanks for sharing this, Ryan! I posted a comment and I'm following your posts now.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

I saw an ad for this book in the New York Times book review section this week. Looks interesting:

Duchess of Death  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I finally watched the movie from last night and must say I thought it was filmed beautifully taking full advantage of the countryside and coast.  The acting was good though the relationships were a little confusing at first.  Once I got everything straight in my head it was more enjoyable to watch.  Though why are Tom and his sister so damn creepy?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This is why it frustrated me. There was so much I did like about it (oooh, that coastline at the beginning -- breathtaking!), but I was confused about that whole Oriental flashback stuff. I adapted to the fact that it was going to be different from the book -- that was obvious by the fact that Miss Marple was in the story -- but I was just confused by a lot of little things.

Oh well, overall I was happy with this series. I absolutely loved the new Poirot's and the new Miss Marple interests me. She's considerably perkier than I imagine Miss Marple (Joan Hickson "was" Miss Marple to me) but I kind of like the way she portrays her as a somewhat younger and livelier version of Miss Marple, with more of a twinkle in her eye.

And I applaud the cinematography, the set design, the costumes and the casting, which were all exceptionally well done. 

pen21
0 Kudos

To ryan_g:

I am just jealous that you are reading the Agatha Christie books.

I do have the majority of them and have read them

But my ToBeRead pile keeps growing and interfering.

But I think I will start sprinkling in the Agatha books.

They are a great read and you won't be disappointed you took the time to read them.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Maybe it's just me, but I've always found Christie's books to be really fast reads, too.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

thanks pen, so far i'm having fun, right now I'm on The Secret Advesary.  It's one I read years and years ago so i don't remember much of it.  Enjoying it.

pen21
0 Kudos

Ryan_G,

How are the  Agatha Christie books?

Last I heard you were reading Secret Adversary.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Pen, thanks for checking up on me.  I still haven't finished it yet.  I'm loving it but had to put it on hold for a bit.  Other commitments and having my son back home after being gone all summer really took a bite out of my reading.  I'm hoping I can get back to it soon and get a review posted on it sometime next week.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I went to start reading the book again but couldn't find it.  I have no clue where I left it so I went and bought another copy of it today.  I'm just going to go and restart and read it all the way through

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Now, that's dedication!
Ryan_G

I finally finished The Secret Adversary and loved it.  It had been a while since I'd read the book  and I found it refreshing.  I posted a quick (not in depth) review on my blog if anyone wants to read it.

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2009/08/agatha-christie-challenge-secret.html

becke_davis

Exciting, Ryan! I just posted a comment on your blog. You know, after seeing the movie Julie & Julia over the weekend, it occurs to me that your Christie project is similar to Julie's -- she blogged about cooking every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook within a year. And she turned that project into a best-selling book and movie -- who knows, maybe this is the beginning of big things for you!
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

from your lips to God's ear :-)

becke_davis wrote:
Exciting, Ryan! I just posted a comment on your blog. You know, after seeing the movie Julie & Julia over the weekend, it occurs to me that your Christie project is similar to Julie's -- she blogged about cooking every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook within a year. And she turned that project into a best-selling book and movie -- who knows, maybe this is the beginning of big things for you!

dulcinea3

Here's the rest of the list at last!  As well as I can do.  I have some short story collections that I am inserting, that I'm not totally sure where they fall, but this is where I have them placed in my collection.  I'm moving Sleeping Death to when it was published, since it was always intended to be Miss Marple's last novel; whoever compiled this list had moved Curtain, Poirot's last novel, so they were inconsistent.

One, Two Buckle My Shoe (U.S. title An Overdose of Death)

Sad Cypress

Evil Under the Sun

N or M?

The Body in the Library

Five Little Pigs (U.S. title Murder in Retrospect)

The Moving Finger

Towards Zero

Death Comes as the End

Sparkling Cyanide (U.S. title Remembered Death)

The Hollow (U.S. title Murder After Hours)

The Labours of Hercules (short stories)

Witness for the Prosecution

Taken at the Flood (U.S. title There is a Tide)

Crooked House

A Murder is Announced

The Mousetrap

They Came to Baghdad

The Underdog and Other Stories

Mrs McGinty's Dead

They Do It With Mirrors (U.S. title Murder with Mirrors)

After the Funeral (U.S. title Funerals Are Fatal)

A Pocket Full of Rye

Destination Unknown (U.S. title So Many Steps to Death)

Hickory Dickory Dock (U.S. title Hickory Dickory Death)

Dead Man's Folly

4.50 from Paddington (U.S. title What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw!)

Ordeal by Innocence

Cat Among the Pigeons

Double Sin and Other Stories (short stories) not published in the UK

13 for Luck

The Pale Horse

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (U.S. title The Mirror Crack'd)

The Clocks

A Caribbean Mystery

At Bertram’s Hotel

13 Clues for Miss Marple

Third Girl

Endless Night

By the Pricking of my Thumbs

Hallowe'en Party

Passenger to Frankfurt

The Golden Ball and Other Stories (short stories) not published in the UK

Nemesis

Elephants Can Remember

Postern of Fate

Curtain: Poirot’s Last Case

Sleeping Murder

The Harlequin Tea Set

One thing I discovered is that I could not find my copy of Endless Night!!! :smileymad: My collection is incomplete!  I'm sure I had it at one time, and I keep them all together (except Hallowe'en Party and Nemesis, which are included in books with other author's mysteries).  Guess it's an Agatha Christie mystery!!! :smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wow, that's an inspiring list! One of these days I'll go through and make a list of my books by and about Christie. I've got some deadlines this week, but maybe I'll have time to do it next week. Thanks for sharing this with us, dulcinea!
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I have a new review of my third book in the challenge, The Murder on the Links.

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2009/08/agatha-christie-challenge-murder-on.html

becke_davis

This is exciting, Ryan! I just commented on your blog.
dulcinea3

I've been reading your blog, Ryan, even if I don't make many comments!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia