Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: AGATHA CHRISTIE WEEK

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

becke_davis wrote:

According to Wikipedia, this is the best-selling Agatha Christie book of all time:

And Then There Were None

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None

Just a "heads up" that we are going to be reading this for the Literature by Women group in November!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I think I've mentioned my favorites before:

Seven Dials Mystery 

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  

And that Tommy and Tuppence are my favorite recurring sleuths!

It would be difficult to choose more favorites, because I like so many of them so much!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: PBS MASTERPIECE MYSTERY!

shes an author i did not konw this i thought that agatha christie was p.c. games can some one give me more books to read by agatha christie thank you

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I think I've mentioned my favorites before:

Seven Dials Mystery 

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  

And that Tommy and Tuppence are my favorite recurring sleuths!

It would be difficult to choose more favorites, because I like so many of them so much!

Oh, those are good ones!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ilovebooksOH wrote:

shes an author i did not konw this i thought that agatha christie was p.c. games can some one give me more books to read by agatha christie thank you

She wrote about 80 books, but you could start with any of the books we've listed here -- they're all good!

Contributor
georgesmiley
0 Kudos

My but you have been busy in the last 24 hours! I am not worthy (Waves arms in Respect Mode).

I am glad you know of June Whitfield, like you, I am sure she is a fine Miss M. I looked up Murder She Said at my sole initiating source for things Show Biz, namely IMDB.com but June is not listed in the cast. The Great Joan was there as Mrs. Kidder and Leslie Howard's son Ronald featured as Brian Eastlley. Actually, the cast like a brief history of British TV in the 60's. I am sorely tempted to name the Actors in their character roles just for the fun of checking my own memory! However I will spare your American readers the torture of my exercise in self satisfaction!

The opening of the first Monty Python sketch reminded me of the dear old BBC and their constant search for the correct usage of spoken English and such things as the torture of James T. Kirk for" boldly going where no man had gone before" 

Finally, to my eternal shame I realized reading your lists that I have read only The ABC Murders  and that a long time ago. In my defence I offer my viewing of all the Miss M's and my collection of Radio Plays by the dear lady. Maybe it should be me to the Library!

May I throw a question out there? I am nearly certain that Joan Hickson appeared in the classic "Brief Encounter" as one of the tea ladies at the Railway Station but cannot find any listing. Do any of our readers know?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

georgesmiley wrote:

My but you have been busy in the last 24 hours! I am not worthy (Waves arms in Respect Mode).

I am glad you know of June Whitfield, like you, I am sure she is a fine Miss M. I looked up Murder She Said at my sole initiating source for things Show Biz, namely IMDB.com but June is not listed in the cast. The Great Joan was there as Mrs. Kidder and Leslie Howard's son Ronald featured as Brian Eastlley. Actually, the cast like a brief history of British TV in the 60's. I am sorely tempted to name the Actors in their character roles just for the fun of checking my own memory! However I will spare your American readers the torture of my exercise in self satisfaction!

The opening of the first Monty Python sketch reminded me of the dear old BBC and their constant search for the correct usage of spoken English and such things as the torture of James T. Kirk for" boldly going where no man had gone before" 

Finally, to my eternal shame I realized reading your lists that I have read only The ABC Murders  and that a long time ago. In my defence I offer my viewing of all the Miss M's and my collection of Radio Plays by the dear lady. Maybe it should be me to the Library!

May I throw a question out there? I am nearly certain that Joan Hickson appeared in the classic "Brief Encounter" as one of the tea ladies at the Railway Station but cannot find any listing. Do any of our readers know?

Hi and welcome back! When I saw I'd missed Agatha Christie's birthday, I decided to bring in a bit of belated hoopla. There are a LOT of Agatha Christie clips on YouTube, I discovered! (Many are clips from the MYSTERY! series of Poirot and Miss Marple, but still . . . )

Oh, you really should read more of the books--even though some are dated, I still find them enjoyable (however strange it may be to find murder stories relaxing!). FUNERALS ARE FATAL was the first one I read, and the first one I solved successfully was A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED. Later, I also figured out A BODY IN THE LIBRARY, which I thought was trickier.

I haven't seen Brief Encounter for years. I also looked online and couldn't confirm if Joan Hickson was in it or not.

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

The Mousetrap

I'm off tonight to see a local production of Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap.  I had read it many years ago, but still can't wait to see it.  It will be new to my three companions.  Wonder if they can figure out the murderer?  I couldn't.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: The Mousetrap

Masterpieces of Mystery and the Unknown I love THE MOUSETRAP. It's such a period piece, and even when you know how it ends, it's fun to watch. It is very much a play with a surprise ending, and it amazes me how well people keep the secret. It's been running in London since the year I was born: 1952. When I lived in London, I saw it countless times because we always took our visitors to see it. I've seen it here in Cincinnati, too. Enjoy!

The Mousetrap and Other Plays

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Wow, I'm gone for a few days and the thread blows up.  I'm so sorry I missed so much.  I dropped by to tell you I finished The Man in the Brown Suit

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2009/09/agatha-christie-challenge-man-in-brown.html

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

What did you think of it, Ryan? That one is such a period piece, I have a special fondness for it:

Man in the Brown Suit 

Synopsis

How odd, Anne Beddingfeld thought, that the stranger caught her eye, recoiled in horror, and fell to his death on the rails of Hyde Park Underground Station. Odder still was a doctor in a brown suit who pronounced him dead and vanished into the crowd. But what really aroused Anne's suspicion was when she learned of the doctor's link to the murder of a famous ballerina, a fortune in hidden diamonds, and a crime-lord embroiled in blackmail. And most frightening of all was the attempt made on Anne's own life. But she is unable to resist the lure of an isolated mansion that could hold the solution to the bizarre mystery--even if she becomes the next victim...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh, I wish this was still on!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan, I found this, too:

Contributor
georgesmiley
0 Kudos

Re: The Agatha Christie Hour

[ Edited ]

Afternoon all,

back again with news of a discovery this very afternoon on a site called  "IOffer" which I was researching for another potential outlet for our (Wife and self) Business. It is another Ebay clone. Anyway while looking to see what quality of goods were on offer, I came across the following. If you like what you see, let me know and I will give you the URL. However, I must stress that neither this vendor nor this site have anything whatsoever to do with me. The information is merely passed on to those interested in such things.

THE AGATHA CHRISTIE HOUR

The Agatha Christie Hour from 1982 was a ten episode series based on ten short stories written by the "Queen Of Crime" Agatha Christie, each playlet dealing with a wide range of diverging themes.     Some of the stories were romances, covering juvenile as well as mature romance,   several stories dealing with the supernatural, as well as light-hearted adventures.   The Agatha Hour was set in the England in the first half of the 20th century and much care was taken to authenticate the period, with great attention to detail. It featured many of Britain's best actors and actresses, Cherie Lunghi, Rupert Everett, John Nettles, Stephanie Cole, Roy Kinnear, Amanda Redman and Nicholas Clay to name just a few.

The episodes in this wonderful series included:

1. THE CASE OF THE MIDDLE AGED WIFE

2.   IN A GLASS DARKLY

3.   THE GIRL IN THE TRAIN

4.   THE MANHOOD OF EDWARD ROBINSON

5.   JANE IN SEARCH OF A JOB

6.   THE FOURTH MAN

7.   THE CASE OF THE DISCONTENTED SOLDIER

8.   MYSTERY OF THE BLUE JAR

9.   THE RED SIGNAL

10. MAGNOLIA BLOSSOM

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks to Georgesmiley for sharing these amazing pictures with us -- this is Africa's Blue Train, similar to the famous Blue Train from Agatha Christie's book:

The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot Series) 

The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot Series)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Six by Agatha: Africa's Blue Train

[ Edited ]

Okay, problem uploading the pictures. Let me try something else . . . rats, it doesn't look like I can post Georgesmiley's pictures. Instead, I found some on the web: