r2u
New User
r2u
0 Kudos

Suggestions please

I currently have read all of Sue Graftons books, Janet Evonwhiches, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware) and Patricia Cornwells books. I like books that have running characters that I can get to know. I like when there is a little humor put to them as well (like the Stephanie plumb books). BUT, I have run out of books by these author's. Going to the book store searching for new series is frustrating to me. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I tend to not care as much for court room / lawyer type drama though.

I don't know if I should ask folks to post here or send me notes to my email...so Which ever. My email address is roni2you@hotmail.com
Thanks!!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions please

Try Carolyn Hart, to start with. The Aunt Dimity books are good. Marcia Muller. Jill Churchill. There are so many!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

r2u wrote:
I currently have read all of Sue Graftons books, Janet Evonwhiches, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware) and Patricia Cornwells books. I like books that have running characters that I can get to know. I like when there is a little humor put to them as well (like the Stephanie plumb books). BUT, I have run out of books by these author's. Going to the book store searching for new series is frustrating to me. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I tend to not care as much for court room / lawyer type drama though.

I don't know if I should ask folks to post here or send me notes to my email...so Which ever. My email address is roni2you@hotmail.com
Thanks!!

I really like Harlen Coben and Tess Gerritsen but those don't run in a series. J.A. Jance writes about Joanna Brady who is a small town sheriff. (It's been a while but pretty good.) Iris Johansen has Eve Duncan for a main character who I believe does the forensic work recreating a face using a skull (also been a while). Lee Child has a series that I've heard is good but I haven't read them. Mary Janice Davidson has the humorous series about vampires. Again, haven't read those yet. Alex Kava, Greg Isles, Dean Koontz, Lisa Gardner, Mary Higgens Clark, Faye Kellerman...wow, there are so many!

Sorry I'm just throwing them out there. I don't know if that's much help but those are some names off of my book list. I like to read the descriptions and reviews here on the Barnes & Noble website. It's always helpful to me when I want to check out some titles. Good luck! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
New User
tmr100
0 Kudos

I've enjoyed Harlon Coben's Myron Bolitar series. His books usually have lots of plot twists and quite a bit of humor. Robert Crais and Robert Parker's characters are also pretty funny. Crais writes about Elvis Cole, a Private Investigator in L.A. Parker has Spenser, a P.I. in Boston.

I've also liked Michael Connely's Harry Bosch books and John Sandford's Prey series.

Hope these help.
New User
jasondt
0 Kudos

Sanford's Prey novels are a great read. I personally think the Davenport character is one of the best recurring character up there with Scarpetta. Also, the Crais Elvis Cole novels are top shelf.
New User
maisie658
0 Kudos

If you like Sue Grafton, you should definitely try Marcia Muller. Deborah Crombie writes the Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James series; very good. Martha Grimes has the Richard Jury series; P.D. James has the Adam Dalgliesh series. Most of these are British. J.A. Jance also has a series with J. P. Beaumont. Good luck and let us know if you discover someone new!
New User
dogglady9
0 Kudos

r2u:

Try James Patterson and look for his Alex Cross series. Excellent! Also, Michael Connley has Harry Bosch who's great. And Stuart Woods continuing character is Stone
Barrington. Not to be missed. All three of these writers are very prolific and should keep you busy for a long while.

Dogglady9
r2u
New User
r2u
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you everyone!!

dogglady9 wrote:
r2u:

Try James Patterson and look for his Alex Cross series. Excellent! Also, Michael Connley has Harry Bosch who's great. And Stuart Woods continuing character is Stone
Barrington. Not to be missed. All three of these writers are very prolific and should keep you busy for a long while.

Dogglady9

Wow....Thank you all for all of the suggestions...Oh where to start!!!!
Now I just need to compile a list and hit the book store!!!!

Thanks again!!!!
Roni
abp
Contributor
abp
0 Kudos

Hi. Another great continuing character series to check out is James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux books. Great stories about a police officer outside of New Orleans. JLB's writing is so incredibly descriptive, you feel like you are right there in the heart of the bayou.

I'm new to these clubs, and enjoying all the recommendations you all are passing along.
ABP
New User
mrshendricks
0 Kudos

Something that I don't see mentioned here is the series by Sarah Strohmeyer with the recurring character Bubbles Yablonsky. There are 6 in the series so far. If you like Janet Evanovich - you will love these. I have just finished them and couldn't put them down.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I like these a lot, also the Julie (Jill?) Smith books set in New Orleans -- I haven't read them in awhile, but I think she has continued to write that series.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

mrshendricks wrote:
Something that I don't see mentioned here is the series by Sarah Strohmeyer with the recurring character Bubbles Yablonsky. There are 6 in the series so far. If you like Janet Evanovich - you will love these. I have just finished them and couldn't put them down.

I enjoyed the "Bubbles" books too. I like Stephanie Plum better but those are also funny. I must have missed the most recent book because I've only read five. I'll have to look for it. :smileytongue:
New User
LittleBinx
0 Kudos

Hello! I think you'll really like Charlaine Harris' "Dead" series, which has running characters for several books. They are quirky, southern vampire mystery stories, with a kooky lead character like Stephanie Plum, called Sookie Stackhouse, who is a telepath. I think you will really like these entertaining books! Try the first one, and keep on going! I think there are 6-7 books by now. I am on the 6th, and I love them! Good Luck!!!
LittleBinx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote: J.A. Jance writes about Joanna Brady who is a small town sheriff.

She also has a more extensive and quite enjoyable, I find, series about a Seattle private detective, J. P. Beaumont, which I enjoy.

You didn't mention Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series, maybe the most famous running detective series in mystery history. Dorothy Sayers wrote a glorious series featuring Lord Peter Wimsey; we're discussing The Nine Tailors elsewhere in the Mystery section. Ngaio Marsh has a wonderful series about Roderick Allyn. Dick Francis has different characters but they are all pretty much close variants of the same character. Arthur Upfield has written a number of books about his Australian aborigine detective, Napoleon Bonaparte. Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books are classics and will entertain for hours; some may have to be gotten from second hand sources, but many are being reprinted. Van Gulik wrote a series about the Chinese detective Judge Dee. Try one or two; you'll either like him or not. Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer mysteries appeal to the combination of macho and psychological. John MadDonald wrote many Travis McGee mysteries, most or all with a color in their titles. Ellery Queen, pseudonym for two authors, wrote a long series (I think over 70) books or anthologies of short stories featuring Ellery Queen as the detective.

You should find something in that list to keep you going at least for a few weeks.
0 Kudos

So many good series out there ...

If you get into the characters, where you get to feel like they are dear friends then try Diana Gabaldon. She isn't mystery but her characters just drew me in. They have a little Sci Fi, one of the main characters goes back in time but great books. If that doesn't bother you give it a try. I believe Outlander is the first.

Elizabeth Peters has a great character in Amelia Peabody, an umbrella wielding Egyptologist.

Someone already mentioned Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton, really spunky elderly woman (Aunt Dimity).

James Patterson's books with Alex Cross are pretty good page turners but definitely violent. (Fiction)

Nevada Barr's book are about a female park ranger.

Diane Mott Davidson's are funny light mysteries similar to Evanovich. The main character is a caterer, Goldy Bear. Recipes in the books are great.

Lisa Scottoline
Kathy Reichs (graphic)

Most of the other suggestions from other posts are great authors. Sorry I duplicated some.
Contributor
Eleanore9
0 Kudos

I think Martha Grimes is great. Haven't read one of her books that I didn't enjoy.
Contributor
Karsmom
0 Kudos

Hi all,
Would you give me some titles to look for by James Lee Burke and Sarah Strohmeyer? Those sound like they may be something I would enjoy.

Thanks! Gina
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Strohmeyer

Karsmom wrote:
Hi all,
Would you give me some titles to look for by James Lee Burke and Sarah Strohmeyer? Those sound like they may be something I would enjoy.

Thanks! Gina

Hi Gina,

I haven't read Burke but I've read the "Bubbles" books by Strohmeyer. They are similar to Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" series. Bubbles is a hairdresser who wants to be a reporter, gets herself into trouble and finds the hot guy. It's light reading and funny. You can read each on it's own but I preferred reading them in order since some of the characters carry over into the next book(s). I think there are six now. "Bubbles Unbound" is the first one and "Bubbles All The Way" is the new release. I have that one now. These are the only books I've read by this author. Enjoy! :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Hi All~

I was sent an email just this past weekend by B&N regarding these bookclubs. This is SO bad for me! I'm currently taking an Intermediate Reading & Composition class and instead of doing my assigned reading I've been rereading books that I haven't looked at in a long time! I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Agatha Christie (or did I just miss that post?). If you've never read anything by her I would suggest The Golden Ball & Other Stories as an introduction. Also, the Tuesday Club Murders is a fun quick read and a great intro to Miss Marple.

The "Death at..." series by Robin Paige is great. It's set in Victorian-era England and it's interesting how the author incorporates real historical figures into the stories. The Charlotte & Thomas Pitt series by Anne Perry. I haven't read these in a long time. I think I'll be starting on these after I get through Robin Paige. The series by PJ Tracy that starts with Monkeewrench is good too. Grace McBride is a very interesting woman.

These are all quick reads: The Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews. The titles all have a bird theme (Murder with Peacocks, Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos, etc). They are light reading, less about mysteries and more about personalities. I would NOT want to have Meg's family. The Holly Winters series by Susan Conant. Holly is a dog magazine writer and has 2 malamutes. I LOVE dogs. Nero Blanc's Crossword Puzzle Mysteries starring PI Rosco Polycrates. I love his name. Umm...I remember enjoying Dorothy Gilman. I can't remember titles (not at home right now) but the heroine is Mrs. Pollifax. Also, the book Kaleidoscope about the clairvoyant. This is a series but I can't remember the other books.

I have so many more authors that I love but this is getting too long. I'll save them for later. Ugh...homework time.

~Mayumi
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I agree, I've been reading hers for years.