Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Karsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions please

Hi Mayumi and all-
I am reading some crossword puzzle mysteries but they are not by Nero Blanc. If you get a chance, could you give me some titles of those?

I love dogs too, and I enjoy the Susan Conant books very much. As far as Agatha Christie...growing up I would give my dad a different Agatha Christie book every Christmas. He loved them, and passed that love on to me. I have all of them that were published in the US. I still reread them occasionally. I never grow tired of the characters or the way she wrote.

Are you reading any interesting books for your class? Probably not mysteries, but still...Thanks for jogging some good memories for me! Gina
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Karsmom wrote:
Hi Mayumi and all-
I am reading some crossword puzzle mysteries but they are not by Nero Blanc. If you get a chance, could you give me some titles of those?

I love dogs too, and I enjoy the Susan Conant books very much. As far as Agatha Christie...growing up I would give my dad a different Agatha Christie book every Christmas. He loved them, and passed that love on to me. I have all of them that were published in the US. I still reread them occasionally. I never grow tired of the characters or the way she wrote.

Are you reading any interesting books for your class? Probably not mysteries, but still...Thanks for jogging some good memories for me! Gina

Hi Gina,

The Nero Blanc books that I have are: The Crossword Murder, Two Down, The Crossword Connection and A Crosword To Die For. I've even xeroxed the puzzles in the books so I could solve them.

The book for my class is Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, by Barbara Ehrenreich. It's about the "working poor" in America and whether or not they are actually surviving on minimum wage. I'm withholding my opinions regarding this book since this is not the correct Club. :-)

Knitting is another pastime of mine and I recently read a book by Maggie Sefton titled Knit One, Kill Two. It was an enjoyable read and included a knitting pattern and a recipe. Just bought book two in the series today.

~Mayumi
New User
Tink
0 Kudos

hi,and I am new to all this and not really sure if I am sending a message correctly,am very much a Mystery reader and love courtroom dramas also. But at the moment I am knee deep in The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova,she is a gifted writer and building suspense slowly,has nayone read this already?
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

abp wrote:
Hi. Another great continuing character series to check out is James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux books. Great stories about a police officer outside of New Orleans. JLB's writing is so incredibly descriptive, you feel like you are right there in the heart of the bayou.

I'm new to these clubs, and enjoying all the recommendations you all are passing along.
ABP

I enjoy them especially since I know people wwho live in the area. Jo
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I read all the early books in this series and really enjoyed them. I got busy along the way and lost track of the more recent titles. There is another author who writes about Florida and, I seem to remember, the south up to Louisiana. Again, I used to read his books all the time but I haven't kept up with his recent, and more popular, books. His name is James W. Hall. Hopefully I'm remembering that correctly. I'm awful at remembering titles, but one book of his that really sticks in my mind was about smuggling endangered species into the country -- it gave me a whole new perspective on zoos!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I made it sound as if the Dave Robichaux books take place in Florida. I think they were mostly in the New Orleans area. These books remind me of the James W. Hall books because the location is practically a part of the plot.

I think I'm going to have to dig those out and read them again, catch up with his newer titles. My dad reads all of these books, too -- they are very good.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Faye Kellerman's Rina & Peter Decker are also very good. There steeped in Jewish culture also.
Contributor
suga49
0 Kudos

Hi,
Try reading Lee Child's books about Reacher. He is a good character to get into. Jeffery Deaver, Stephen White,Anne Perry, Phillip Margolin, and T Jefferson Parker. Also try reading some of Iris Johansen's books. They are very good. Try Michael Palmer. He writes medical thrillers. If I think of any more authors will post some more.
Karen Terry
Albany, GA
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Originally I posted this on the Help Board by accident when I had intended to put it on the Mystery Board. Try Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse mystery series for continuing characters. They're fun, include coffee recipes and some intrigue and humor. There are four so far in paperback and fifth is coming soon. They are in order---On What Grounds, Through the Grinder, Latte Trouble, Murder Most Frothy and coming next--Decaffeinated Corpse.
Librarian
Contributor
Annie5
0 Kudos

I have read many of the series already mentioned and enjoyed them all. One author that I didn't see mentioned was Dana Stabenow. Her main character is Kate Shuginaw, a Native American ex-cop living in Alaska. Although you don't have to read them in the order published, the later novels do contain references to events and relationships from the earlier books. Kate Wilhelm also has a series with continuing characters (I think their names are Tommie and Tuppence, a married couple) in addition to "stand alone" mysteries. One reason I enjoy her books is that they often take place in Oregon, my home state.
Annie
Contributor
isabelletu
0 Kudos

Try a mystery by Elizabeth George, she writes about the same cast of characters and I've never been disappointed by any of her books.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love her books for the most part, but Playing for the Ashes seemed to really drag and kind of left me cold.
Contributor
isabelletu
0 Kudos

I also like Faye Kellerman, I especially enjoyed her first two novels.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

isabelletu wrote:
I also like Faye Kellerman, I especially enjoyed her first two novels.

I found the first one, "Ritual Bath" to be fascinating. Jo
Contributor
isabelletu
0 Kudos

Another author that I really enjoy is Alexander McCall Smith. All of his books are humorous, well written and honest and I personally like his values. His web page can be found at www.alexandermccallsmith.com where his books can be reviewed. They are also available at b&n.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I LOVE his books! I've read most of them but my favorites, far and away, are the Ladies Detective Agency books. I can't wait for paperbacks, I have to buy them as soon as they come out. They are wonderful!
Reader
merlin134
0 Kudos

For something different try Tim Dorsey series of novels but start at the begining
Contributor
isabelletu
0 Kudos

I've enjoyed the 44 Scotland Street and Expresso Tails, I laughed alot of the way through Expresso Tails.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I have the first but haven't read it yet. I need to pick up a copy of the second one.
Contributor
Eleanore9
0 Kudos

I bought some of these, but haven't read them yet. Are they really good? Hope so!