Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
isabelletu
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions please

I really enjoyed the #1 Ladies Detective series, however, it depends on what you like. I liked the characters, I liked the humor, and the sweetness of the books. They aren't violent, people don't usually die,there's litttle if any profanity, they're well written and in general they are really easy to read. They don't last long enough for me.
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

I just finished reading a new author (for me). Her name is Shirley Damsgaard. The heroine of her mystery series is about a reluctant psychic librarian named Ophelia. Although I found the whole psychic/witch thing a bit far-fetched, I liked Ophelia's character. Plus she's head librarian! I've just ordered book 2 and 3.

~Mayumi
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

How about Tony Hillerman. I have enjoyed his books because he skillfully mixes both the Caucasion and Native American cultures and how they can clash as well as work together.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

r2u wrote:
I currently have read all of Sue Graftons books, Janet Evonwhiches, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware) and Patricia Cornwells books. I like books that have running characters that I can get to know. I like when there is a little humor put to them as well (like the Stephanie plumb books). BUT, I have run out of books by these author's. Going to the book store searching for new series is frustrating to me. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I tend to not care as much for court room / lawyer type drama though.

I don't know if I should ask folks to post here or send me notes to my email...so Which ever. My email address is roni2you@hotmail.com
Thanks!!

I am on Janet Evanovich's #Five. You make me want to catch up in a hurry. I envy you. You have finished both Janet Evanovich and Sue Grafton. Congratulations!
Grapes
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:

r2u wrote:
I currently have read all of Sue Graftons books, Janet Evonwhiches, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware) and Patricia Cornwells books. I like books that have running characters that I can get to know. I like when there is a little humor put to them as well (like the Stephanie plumb books). BUT, I have run out of books by these author's. Going to the book store searching for new series is frustrating to me. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I tend to not care as much for court room / lawyer type drama though.

I don't know if I should ask folks to post here or send me notes to my email...so Which ever. My email address is roni2you@hotmail.com
Thanks!!

I am on Janet Evanovich's #Five. You make me want to catch up in a hurry. I envy you. You have finished both Janet Evanovich and Sue Grafton. Congratulations!

Have you tried the Faye Kellerman, Rina & Peter Decker series? Jo
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

br>br>Have you tried the Faye Kellerman, Rina & Peter Decker series? Jo

No, do you like her?
Grapes
Contributor
isabelletu
0 Kudos

I've enjoyed the Child/Prestson books with Agent Pendergast as a main character, Tony Hillerman's series with Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn and Elizabeth George and JA Jance to name a few.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

isabelletu wrote:
I've enjoyed the Child/Prestson books with Agent Pendergast as a main character, Tony Hillerman's series with Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn and Elizabeth George and JA Jance to name a few.

I am reading my first Elizabeth George, A Great Deliverance. Boy, it's so good.

Hattie
Grapes
Contributor
griffibn
0 Kudos

r2u wrote:

Thanks!!

Have your tried Michael Connelly's books? There are great!
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
br>br>Have you tried the Faye Kellerman, Rina & Peter Decker series? Jo

No, do you like her?

Yes, very much.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Thank you for the recommendation.
Grapes
Contributor
Pixiepoe
0 Kudos

Sarah Strohmeyer's books include the Bubbles series- Bubbles abroad, Bubbles unbound, etc. I have read them all and they are very funny. You may also want to try G.K. McKevett's Savannah Reid series or Joanne Pence's Angie Amalfi series.
Hope this helps,
Pixie
She is too fond of books , and it turned her brain.
Louisa May Alcott
Contributor
Pixiepoe
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
Originally I posted this on the Help Board by accident when I had intended to put it on the Mystery Board. Try Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse mystery series for continuing characters. They're fun, include coffee recipes and some intrigue and humor. There are four so far in paperback and fifth is coming soon. They are in order---On What Grounds, Through the Grinder, Latte Trouble, Murder Most Frothy and coming next--Decaffeinated Corpse.
Librarian

Thank u so much for mentioning this series. I've loved everyone so far. I also loved Joanne Pence's Angie Amalfi series, Diane Mott Davidon's Goldy Schultz series and Joanne Fluke's books. The funny thing is I love culinary mysteries, but I can't even boil water.
She is too fond of books , and it turned her brain.
Louisa May Alcott
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I haven't seen a post one on how great Mary Higgens Clark's books are. And also her daughter's are not bad either, Carol Higgins Clark. I have read most all of Mary's and some of Carol's. They are so suspenseful and I usually guess wrong every time on who the villian is.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
I haven't seen a post one on how great Mary Higgens Clark's books are. And also her daughter's are not bad either, Carol Higgins Clark. I have read most all of Mary's and some of Carol's. They are so suspenseful and I usually guess wrong every time on who the villian is.

I enjoy both MHC & her daughter. However, I do find it a little disturbing that most of MHC's book usually have a child in danger. Jo
New User
Literacy
0 Kudos

Re: Be a character in Mary Higgins Clark's next Book

I just found out that you can have your name featured in Mary Higgins Clark's next book. Bidding starts on April 10th on eBay. I think I might bid on it for my mom because she's a big fan. I've never seen anything like this before and I'm not sure how high the bidding will go. I just thought all Mary Higgins Clark fans might enjoy this!
Contributor
PathFinder
0 Kudos

Lisa Scottoline does the same thing, and she usually puts a note in the acknowledgement section of her books. I am not sure when those are offered, but think it's based on contributions to charities through a silent auction, or the like.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I would also suggest Earlene Fowler's Benni Harper quilt series.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Mayumi wrote:
I just finished reading a new author (for me). Her name is Shirley Damsgaard. The heroine of her mystery series is about a reluctant psychic librarian named Ophelia. Although I found the whole psychic/witch thing a bit far-fetched, I liked Ophelia's character. Plus she's head librarian! I've just ordered book 2 and 3.

~Mayumi

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" Gandhi
03-07-2007 05:40 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. The character sounds so good.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

PathFinder wrote:
Lisa Scottoline does the same thing, and she usually puts a note in the acknowledgement section of her books. I am not sure when those are offered, but think it's based on contributions to charities through a silent auction, or the like.

I didn't know that about either author. What a great idea! Janet Evanovich lets her fans contribute suggestions for her Stephanie Plum number series (One For the Money, etc.)and then chooses one (I'm not sure how) for the next new title each time. She also puts a note in her acknowledgement section. These are such good ways to get your fans involved.