Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
LorraineLLB
0 Kudos

Re: Triple-Header! Julie Hyzy, Lorraine Bartlett & Hannah Reed

My first books (The Jeff Resnick Mysteries) were/are psychological suspense.  My then agent wanted me to use initials because at that time, men weren't likely to buy a book written by a woman.  (I"m happy to say that is changing.)  When I was asked to do the Booktown series, I was required to take a pseudonym.  Cozy and psychological suspense are quite different, after all.  When Victoria Square sold, I was happy to finally not have to hide behind initials or a pseudonym.

New User
LorraineLLB
0 Kudos

I'm a pantster.  Makes for a lot of rewriting, but I'd get bored if I knew what was going to happen in advance.  I find it very difficult to write my synopsis until the book is finished.  Doesn't work out too well when the publisher requires one up front.  Therefore my books seldom turn out like the outline I send my editor.

Author
Zendy
0 Kudos

Julie as Zendy here again. To be honest, this name cracks me up. I used it in the book as I mentioned, but it has its roots in my childhood...

Anyway, yep, born and raised in Chicago. I'm in the Southwest suburbs now.

I named my current fictional president in the WHChef series Parker Hyden as a sort of shout-out to Hyde Park in Chicago <grin>

And, for more Chicago fun, I named Marshfield Manor, in the Manor House series, for our dearly departed Marshall Field's. Gosh, I miss that store. I boycotted Macy's in Chicago for a long time, but that Tiffany ceiling in the State Street store has called me back for occasional visits.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LorraineLLB wrote:

I created a new account so I can finally participate.

Hurray! I'm so sorry you had so much hassle signing in!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LorraineLLB wrote:

My first books (The Jeff Resnick Mysteries) were/are psychological suspense.  My then agent wanted me to use initials because at that time, men weren't likely to buy a book written by a woman.  (I"m happy to say that is changing.)  When I was asked to do the Booktown series, I was required to take a pseudonym.  Cozy and psychological suspense are quite different, after all.  When Victoria Square sold, I was happy to finally not have to hide behind initials or a pseudonym.

Does this get confusing when you go on book tours?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hannah_Reed wrote:

Hope you go in 2014. I haven't been there for several years but will next year to give a shout out about the Scottish series. Try to make it.

Tell us more about the Scottish series!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Zendy wrote:

Julie as Zendy here again. To be honest, this name cracks me up. I used it in the book as I mentioned, but it has its roots in my childhood...

I named my current fictional president in the WHChef series Parker Hyden as a sort of shout-out to Hyde Park in Chicago <grin>

And, for more Chicago fun, I named Marshfield Manor, in the Manor House series, for our dearly departed Marshall Field's. Gosh, I miss that store. I boycotted Macy's in Chicago for a long time, but that Tiffany ceiling in the State Street store has called me back for occasional visits.

Duh - I didn't catch the Hyde Park shout-out! What fun! I used to work for Marshall Field's London office (it was a buying office, not a store) and I was heartbroken when the store was sold. Like you, I was very upset with Macy's but I've forgiven them now. I still like to go to the Walnut Room for lunch for special occasions - but I won't go there at Christmas anymore. We had a terrible experience after Macy's took over. They weren't prepared for the crowds AT ALL.

My husband just bought me a print of the Marshall Field clock at a local art fair a few weeks ago. Now I just have to get it framed!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Zendy wrote:

Julie - If you want to change Zendy to something else, just sign in with a new email address. Email me if you have questions!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This goes out to all of you: What are you working on now? How much time do you have to write a book these days? Are publishers expecting you to complete books in record time?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I'm sorry some of you were having trouble posting we do have resident gremlins.

It's been very interesting reading all your comments and responses.

it means a lot to me as a reader to be able to connect with authors that I like and those who're destined to become authors I like 

so thank you from this fan for doing this.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Let's turn things around. Julie, Hannah, Lorraine - Do you have any questions you'd like to ask our participants?

Author
Zendy
0 Kudos

Great question, Becke!

Right now I'm writing what I hope will be the fifth in the Manor House series. No title yet, but I'm having fun working on a sort-of locked room story. I'm also gearing up for the release of GRACE TAKES OFF, which comes out in less than two weeks! Woo-hoo!! I don't know how to post a photo here, but I have to say this may be my favorite cover to date. They really captured an early scene perfectly, and the skull/artwork/piece at the center is absolutely spot on! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Zendy wrote:

Great question, Becke!

Right now I'm writing what I hope will be the fifth in the Manor House series. No title yet, but I'm having fun working on a sort-of locked room story. I'm also gearing up for the release of GRACE TAKES OFF, which comes out in less than two weeks! Woo-hoo!! I don't know how to post a photo here, but I have to say this may be my favorite cover to date. They really captured an early scene perfectly, and the skull/artwork/piece at the center is absolutely spot on! 

Grace Takes Off  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Zendy wrote:

Great question, Becke!

Grace Takes Off  

Your lovely publisher sent me an advance copy - woot! The cover is gorgeous!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's kind of quiet here this week - everyone must be out basking in the sun! - so I hope you don't mind if I throw out a few questions to you all:

1) Will any of you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings this year?

2) Do you have a personal favorite among your own books? (If so, which book, and why?)

3) Did you always want to be a writer, or did you have another career in mind at some point?

Author
Hannah_Reed
0 Kudos

I don't have any new books this year, so I won't be doing any signings. As for the Scottish Highlands series, the first comes out Next August. It's about an  American writer who goes over to do research and finds more than she bargained for. It's been fun to write. All three of us have been doing two series, so we are really busy and writing faster than ever.  4 - 5 months of work per book than revisions. Life is hectic but sweet:smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hannah_Reed wrote:

I don't have any new books this year, so I won't be doing any signings. As for the Scottish Highlands series, the first comes out Next August. It's about an  American writer who goes over to do research and finds more than she bargained for. It's been fun to write. All three of us have been doing two series, so we are really busy and writing faster than ever.  4 - 5 months of work per book than revisions. Life is hectic but sweet:smileyhappy:

Did your new series require any research trips to the Scottish Highlands, Hannah?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

So far I've only read the first in this series, though I do own the third one as well.  I really enjoyed it, especially the political aspects of the book.  The setting was the reason I picked it up to begin with.

becke_davis wrote:

Fonduing Fathers (White House Chef Mystery Series #6)  

Grace Takes Off  

Grace Among Thieves (Manor House Mystery Series #3)  

Buffalo West Wing (White House Chef Mystery Series #4)  

State of the Onion (White House Chef Mystery Series #1)  

Affairs of Steak (White House Chef Mystery Series #5)  

Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery Series #2)  

Eggsecutive Orders (White House Chef Mystery Series #3)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

All three of you have been blessed with wonderful covers and clever, catchy titles. Do you pick your own titles or does your publisher make that decision?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't remember if I've asked this already, but I LOVE to hear author's "call" stories. Would you tell us how you got word (by phone, email, whatever) that you'd sold your first book? What did you do to celebrate?