Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Triple-Header! Julie Hyzy, Lorraine Bartlett & Hannah Reed

[ Edited ]

This week our guests are three writers who happen to be friends. Instead of featuring each author separately, we're making it a party!

I thought for sure we'd featured JULIE HYZY here before, but apparently I've been lax.

Lorraine Bartlett has been here before, but under the name Lorna Barrett:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-Author-LORNA-BARRETT/m-p/812564/highli...

Hannah Reed has written a guest blog for us:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-HANNAH-REED/m-p/1005700/highligh...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Triple-Header! Julie Hyzy, Lorraine Bartlett & Hannah Reed

Julie's website is here: http://www.juliehyzy.com/

Julie Hyzy's very first job had her flipping burgers and chopping onions at a neighborhood hot dog stand. She traded that experience for a job as a singing waitress at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour -- but gave that up when she started college (and because she couldn't carry a tune).

Over the years, she's acted in community theater productions, appeared in television commercials, and crashed a previously all-male fraternity to become one of the first female brothers in Loyola University's Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi. Julie had dreams of becoming a writer, but family, friends, and frat brothers convinced her otherwise. Having held positions as junior officer at a downtown bank, office manager at an architectural firm, and financial advisor at a prestigious wealth management company, she realizes that the business degree was probably a good choice -- but fiction is truly her passion. Now, with some well-earned life experience behind her, she's delighted to finally be able to make writing a priority in her life.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lorraine bartlett's bio

The immensely popular Booktown Mystery series is what first put Lorraine Bartlett’s pen name Lorna Barrett’s name on the New York Times Bestseller list, and garnered a coveted Agatha nomination for best novel of 2009, but it’s her talent — whether writing as Lorna, or L.L. Bartlett, or Lorraine Bartlett — that keeps her there. This multi-published, Agatha-nominated author pens the the acclaimed Victoria Square Mystery series, and the exciting Jeff Resnick Mysteries, and has many short stories and novellas to her name(s).

Lorraine  honed her characterization and plotting skills as a frequent writer for romance magazines. Her manuscript,Murder in Morton Mills, a traditional mystery, was a finalist in the St. Martin’s/Malice Domestic contest. Her short story, Cold Case, featuring Jeff Resnick, appeared in Mystery in Mind: A Collection of Mysteries of the Paranormal, an anthology published in spring 2003. Her first novel, Murder On The Mind, written under the nameL.L. Bartlett, and featuring Jeff Resnick, was published in November 2005. Dead in Red followed in June 2008,Cheated by Death debuted in June 2010, with Bound By Suggestion arriving in March 2011.  A Crafty Killing is the first book in the Victoria Square Mysteries. The Walled Flower, second in the series, hit the New York Times best sellers list. One Hot Murder debuted in February 2013.

Lorraine lives in Rochester, NY, with her husband and three felines.

Her websites are here:http://www.lorrainebartlett.com/index.php/bio/

And here: http://www.lorrainebartlett.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hannah Reed is the pen name of author Deb Baker.
http://deb-baker.blogspot.com

As Deb (her real name) she has authored The Gertie Johnson Backwoods Adventures 
and The Dolls To Die For Series.

In her youth, Deb dreamed of working as a private investigator or as an undercover cop. 
So when Deb began writing a new series, the Queen Bee mysteries, she did something 
she always wanted to do -- she went undercover with an alias!

Hannah was one of her all-time favorite names. Reed was her great-grandmother’s 
maiden name. So she put the two together.

As it turns out, the author Hannah Reed is much younger than Deb Baker. She’s also 
more daring, more willing to step right into the midst of any sticky situation, and she’s 
not afraid to tell it like it is.

As Deb says, “Look out! When Hannah’s around, big trouble is sure to follow.”

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll add more links throughout the week. In the meantime, please welcome JULIE HYZY, LORRAINE BARTLETT AND HANNAH REED!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

*BONUS*

We have excerpts!!

Here's an excerpt from GRACE TAKES OFF by Julie Hyzy:

Grace Takes Off  

Bennett turned to me, “That’s when we knew,” he said. “The auction master called in one of his associates immediately and we were treated with the utmost respect. We discovered that Picasso had created this skull during the war, and even though bronze casting was forbidden at that time, a faction in the French Resistance kept the artist supplied.”

Silence settled on us with strange immediacy, but the wistful looks on both men’s faces made it a good moment rather than an awkward one. Eventually, Bennett turned to the Plexiglas container, resting his fingertips on the box’s top edge. “Good memories,” he said.

Nico inched forward in his seat. “You may take it out if you like.”

Bennett’s fingertips rose. “It isn’t locked?”

“Why should it be? This is my home.”

Bennett gently gripped the Plexiglas and raised the container. Cesare was at his side immediately, nodding and offering to take the box from him. Almost without seeing the other man, Bennett handed it over, his attention riveted on the sculpture before him.

“Oh,” he breathed, as he lifted the skull and hefted it in both hands. “Heavier than I remember,” he said, then added, “so long ago. So long ago.”

Bennett nodded as he turned the skull from side to side, admiringly. Cesare looked like a man ready to have a heart attack. I think it was all he could do to not put the box aside and cup his hands beneath Bennett’s to catch the treasure in case it dropped.

“Nico and I¾” Bennett began, then stopped himself mid-sentence. He’d twisted the piece every which way and was now scrutinizing a spot on the skull’s right, just below where the earlobe would fall¾if it’d had ears, that is.

When his face clouded, I asked, “What’s wrong?”

Glancing up at the group, he shook it off. “Nothing,” he answered. He was lying, though I couldn’t figure out why. “I was just trying to remember,” he continued with a forced smile, “Nico, didn’t we both agree this looked like someone we knew?”

“Did we?” Nico seemed confused.

“Yes, I’m sure of it,” Bennett said. I knew him well enough to know he was making it up as he went along. “I can’t come up with the name, and that bothers me.” With an embarrassed glance to the group, he said, “You all caught me frowning at my frustration. I apologize; one of the problems of old age.”

Now I knew he was fibbing. Bennett wasn’t the type to blame a mistake on a “senior moment.” He started to return the skull to its perch, but stopped. “Gracie,” he said, handing it over, “I’d like you to feel the weight of this.”

From the odd tone of his voice and his impatience motioning me forward, there was something definitely amiss. Cesare was required to step back to allow me to stand next to Bennett.

“Are you sure you trust me?” I asked, trying to divine Bennett’s thoughts.

He placed the skull in my hands. “I always trust you,” he said, then added so softly that even Cesare probably couldn’t hear, “Right there. Look.”

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's an excerpt from Not the Killing Type by Lorna Barrett

Not the Killing Type (Booktown Series #7)  

From Not The Killing Type by Lorna Barrett (aka Lorraine Bartlett)

Tricia pulled on her heavy-duty gloves and forged forward. No sooner had she crossed the drive next to Stan’s house when a dog started to bark. Loudly.

Tricia stopped dead, unsure what to do. The dog’s barking went into overdrive, and the lights went on in the neighbor’s house. Adrenaline shot through her, and instead of fight, Tricia chose flight and pivoted, running as fast as she could back toward Angelica’s car.

She yanked open the door and hopped inside, breathless.

“Did you get it?” Angelica asked.

Tricia shook her head, gasping. “The dog next door started barking and the lights went on. I was afraid someone was going to come out and catch me rummaging through the trash.”

Angelica sighed—loudly. “So what are you going to do now?”

Tricia squinted through the windshield into the darkness. “I guess I’ll wait until after midnight and try again.”

“Are you kidding?” Angelica practically squealed.

Tricia shook her head.

“What if that dog is still outside? Don’t you think that’ll be even more suspicious if he barks at that time of night?”

“I’ll just have to take that risk.”

Angelica sighed again—even louder, if that was possible. “Give me that hat,” she said and swiped the knit cap from Tricia’s head.

“What are you going to do?”

“Go and dig through Stan Berry’s garbage, what do you think?”

“But you don’t even know what can to look at.”

“So, how many cans are there?”

“Four.”

Angelica shrugged, grabbed Tricia’s hands and plucked the gloves from them.

“What if you get caught? What will you say?”

“That I’m a freegan and I’m trying to recycle.”

“Ange, if you’re seen, it could ruin your chances of being elected Chamber president.”

“Oh, Trish, you worry far too much,” she said, yanked open her door, got out, and then slammed it.

Tricia winced. How many of the neighbors had heard that?

It was so dark that Tricia soon lost sight of Angelica, who was also clad in black. She found herself counting. She got to sixty, and counted to sixty again. Next she hit the window control, letting it down a couple of inches. No dog barked. That was something in Angelica’s favor. Tricia counted to sixty again, and again. A full five minutes had gone by and there was still no sign of Angelica. What could be taking her so long?

Tricia eased the car door open and stepped outside, quickly and quietly shutting the door so that the car’s interior light went out. She peered into the darkness, but couldn’t see anything but the lights on in the houses along the street. More than a few of them were already dark. People sure went to bed early on Oak Street—but not Frannie, who seemed to wander in and out of her living room to check on the car in her drive.

Tricia wished her watch had a lighted dial. She started counting again. It sure was cold. She rubbed her arms and stamped her feet hoping to keep some of the chill away. Her breath came out in cloudy puffs and she wondered if she ought to go looking for Angelica.

Something touched her shoulder and she yelped—jumping at least six inches into the air.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here is excerpt number three, from Beeline toTrouble by Hannah Reed:

Beeline to Trouble  

EXCERPT FROM BEELINE TO TROUBLE

Book 4 in the Queen Bee mystery Series

Max and Gil continued to take turns trying to spark life. It must have been all of five minutes but it felt like five hours before sirens wailed. My numb brain realized I probably should have called Hunter to inform him of the dead body in his new backyard, but I still couldn’t believe it was really happening.

Camilla and I weren’t doing dagger eyes anymore. More important things had cropped up.

At some point Patti Dwyre appeared, and I noticed that the bottom half of her black sweat pants were soaking wet and her black sneakers squished with water, but I promptly put that information out of my mind, storing it for later.

“Who drowns in two feet of water?” Camilla wanted to know.

Who does drown in two feet of water?

“Suicide?” Patti suggested. “Was she unhappy enough to do this?”

Max had another idea, one that seemed more likely. “Maybe she had a brain aneurism and stroked out, falling face-first.”

Everybody considered that.

The sirens were loud now, right out front.

“Or a heart attack,” Gil added. “Those health nuts drop like flies.”

Just then, Officer Sally Maylor pulled into the driveway and got out of her squad car. Sally is a good cop and a regular customer at the store. For a second or two, I expected Chief Johnny Jay to drive in right behind her. Then I remembered about his vacation. Thank God for small miracles. He would have ripped me up and down over what had just happened. This situation was definitely beyond my control, but he wouldn’t have cared. He’d have been in my face so close I’d be able to count his nose hairs.

“Back off, everybody,” Sally said, and we cleared out to give her room.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Wow kudos to you Becke and welcome to the authors

imgres.jpeg

Hi ladies (waving)

Becke mentioned you're friends,

did being authors bring you together, are you in the same critique group.

spill how you came to be BFFs

Glad you're here and enjoy your stay oh and beware the gremlins :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome to B&N's Mystery Forum! We have many cozy mystery fans among our regulars, so you should feel right at home here!

In a few minutes I'll be heading to an eighth grade graduation, and I'll be back asap. I hope our author friends will be able to sign in okay! I'll check back in as soon as I return.

Happy Monday!

Author
Zendy
0 Kudos

Hi, Debbie,

Actually, we don't critique each other's work at all. I used to belong to a critique group and it was a great help to me in getting published, but I don't attend group meetings anymore. I think Deb and Lorraine may have been part of the Guppies, which is a part of Sisters In Crime. Gup comes from the "Great UnPublished."

Thanks for popping in and commenting!!

Best,

Julie

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Zendy wrote:

Hi, Debbie,

Actually, we don't critique each other's work at all. I used to belong to a critique group and it was a great help to me in getting published, but I don't attend group meetings anymore. I think Deb and Lorraine may have been part of the Guppies, which is a part of Sisters In Crime. Gup comes from the "Great UnPublished."

Thanks for popping in and commenting!!

Best,

Julie

How did you all meet, Julie? This is for all of you: I love to hear author's "call" stories. Would you tell us how you got the call - or email - letting you know you'd sold your first book?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Another question for any or all of you: What is your writing process? Do you plot your whole story in advance or do you write "generically"?

What's your favorite part of writing a book? Your least favorite?

New User
Crickerz
0 Kudos

This should be great!! All three are fantastic!!::smileyhappy:

Author
Zendy
0 Kudos

Oh geez, I'm coming up as Zendy. That was a last-ditch attempt years ago to get myself onto the BN boards when my name wouldn't work. I used it because that was the name of the company the First Lady was dealing with in the second WHChef mystery. 

Whoops!

Anyway, I try to write every day. When I'm feeling tight and as though I can't write, I set a timer and I force myself to keep my fingers moving. I'm not allowed to check email, grab snacks, or even hit the washroom until my timer dings. Works like a charm every time.

I tend to plot ahead of time, although I don't always keep to my original outline. I like having an idea of where the story is going so that I can pace myself. 

My favorite part of writing is revision. I absolutely adore making the story better. The worst part is when I realize something isn't working and I have to slash whole chunks. That's never fun.

Great questions!

Julie (not Zendy)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Crickerz wrote:

This should be great!! All three are fantastic!!::smileyhappy:

They are, and I know they have a lot of fans here - including me!