Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: We're kicking off 2010 with a January Extravaganza!

Robin - You beat me to the punch! I know some of our visiting authors for January have been at B&N before, but I have a note to myself to check back with everyone today to make sure they could comment. I'm on vacation in FL and my family has whips and chains ready if I go on the computer too often. I'll be in touch soon with more details!

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

Becke - I can comment; I'm just not always sure of the most appropriate place to jump in. I see some interesting threads in the entire mystery area...I gather the idea is to reply to the very latest comment? Or does it matter?

But never mind all that for now - enjoy being with your family and we'll "see you" soon!

G.M. Malliet
http://GMMalliet.com
Author, Death of a Cozy Writer - Agatha Award winner. Chosen by Kirkus Reviews as one of the Best Books of 2008.
New series begins Sept. 2011 with WICKED AUTUMN (Minotaur Books).
becke_davis
0 Kudos

G.M. - Starting Monday, you will be one of the featured authors so you will have your very own thread.  At least, I think the book club features for January start Monday -- I'm not 100% positive about that, since I don't see a date on the Community Room board. No one is working today, so I'm still trying to confirm this.

In any case, each of our featured authors will have their own thread, where I will post a bio, links to all your books, etc. I'll be posting updates on Facebook and Twitter and inviting people to come talk to you about your books. When we've had multiple authors before, it's generated a lot of interest. I'm hoping January will be rocking here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!  Our December featured authors, Wendy and Brenda, will be with us through the end of the month. Since January 1 falls midweek, we will have some overlap between our December and January guest authors.

Because it is a holiday week, everyone may not check in right away. I am on vacation, too, and for two days next week I'll be on the road with computer access only as long as my laptop battery holds out. I hope you'll all bear with us!

It takes awhile for me to post each of the introductions, so I'm going to start doing them today, and I'll continue to do so tomorrow, too. My family is going to drag me away from the computer, kicking and screaming, if I spend too much time here, so the intros will be posted in spurts.

I'm not posting the author intros in any particular order, and just because their intro is up, it doesn't mean the author will be checking in right away. By Monday everything will be ready to go! Please excuse the cluttered look of the board while I get these introductions up. Each author will get their own thread, so there will be more threads than usual "above the fold."  On the plus side, we will have a variety of authors and lots of books to peak your interest. Happy New Year!!

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, just chiming in to say I am thrilled to be a guest at Becke's fabulous Mystery Book Club.  And Anne, you can jump in anywhere with Katherine Hall Page's books, they're all fantastic.  I've been a fan of hers for years. Very glad to be here. DEAD AIR is the first of the TALK RADIO MYSTERIES. They're going to put a microphone on every cover, with the logo: Talk Radio Mysteries. Cute!! Interesting thing about book covers in a series, I'd never thought of this angle, but an art director just told me that you want the covers to be "alike" enough so readers recognize the book as part of the series, but "different" enough so that the readers don't think, "Gee, this looks familiar, have I already read this one?" An interesting point. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday filled with goodies and lots of great books. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Happy Boxing Day, Mary! Good timing -- I just posted your introductory thread. I'm using my laptop and it's taking FOREVER!

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, my Brit husband always talks about Boxing Day. We were in Washington,DC for Christmas and just got back home, so I cooked chicken for my 8 cats as a "Boxing Day celebration." Do they know it's Boxing Day? Er, probably not. But it made me feel good. Only a cat lover would understand my warped logic. <G> 

I just saw an earlier post from G.M. Maillet that I'd missed. She was referring to my comment on deadline hell, and she was right on target.  We were talking about the fact that deadline hell is eternal...that's why it's called hell. An interesting point, and all too true!! I was congratulating myself (silly girl) because I managed to make my November 30 deadline, but now I find I have spiralled into deadline hell again with copy-edits. Yes, I'm back there again!!  How is that possible??  No rest for the weary. Or is it no rest for the wicked?? I can never remember that quote. Either way, I'm rather stuck. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mary - I have a Brit husband, too, and we both LOVE Boxing Day!

"

No rest for the weary. Or is it no rest for the wicked?? I can never remember that quote. Either way, I'm rather stuck." -- I think it can be either, or both. And I know what you mean!