Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎10-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Bwaaaahaaaa!  You can't hide from me!!!  I have found my way back.  ... Until it moves again...the mystery of the missing forum...

 

Yikes.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


BearMountainBooks wrote:

Bwaaaahaaaa!  You can't hide from me!!!  I have found my way back.  ... Until it moves again...the mystery of the missing forum...

 

Yikes.


I swear to God, this is not my doing! I keep hearing from people who can't find us. Here's my email: Treethyme@aol.com.

 

Email me when/if it disappears again, and I'll send you a direct link (assuming I can find it myself...).

Author
mary_kennedy
Posts: 304
Registered: ‎08-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Dulcinea, that is wonderful that someone at work is sending packages to the troops. You probably already have a long wish list, but here are a few things that really went over well.

 

 Llittle tinfoil packages of tuna fish, and some of those individual packages of mayo--the kind you get at a deli or a fast food place. They always have bread available and they love to make tuna sandwiches.

 

And any kind of powdered drink mix, they come in individual packages (like Crystal Light)...they pour them right into water bottles. The water is not good over there. They'll drink more if they can kill the taste.

 

 Also, any kind of "cup of soup," "cup of noodles" items. I was shocked to learn they add water and cook them right on the hood of their jeeps (yes, that's how hot it is!).

 

 I sent loads of power bars, salted nuts, hard candy (no chocolate after April) and my good friend Carolyn Hart sent tons of coffee and powdered creamer. I know it seems a bit odd, sending coffee in that unbearable heat, but the soldiers need to be alert for night patrols.

 

. The kahlua brownies got all the attention, but I did send healthy stuff as well. (and my sources told me the brownies went first!). Don't cut them, just bake them in a pan with tinfoil, leave a big chunk of tinfoil hanging out on each side of the pan, then you can just lift out the whole thing, fold the tinfoil over and send it as a block. I sent 5 batches at a time, with nuts and kahlua and everyone loved them. They disappeared--instantly. I also made a home-made version of Chex mix with pecans and Caro syrup, the Louisiana contingent loved those.

 

Okay, I'll stop now. I realize this is the mystery forum and not the cooking channel! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to promote this, Becke, and If anyone needs more ideas, please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks again, mary 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Mary, a lot of those things are on the wishlist, but they didn't mention the tuna and mayo packages - great idea!  Apparently among the currently-most-requested items are Dunkin Donut coffee, sunblock, Beanie Babies, and DumDum lollipops!  Since notepads were on the list, I was able to give a bunch of those, because I get so many from various charities, I can't use them all and my mother finally told me to stop passing them on to her (when I see her this Sunday, I may recover some more).  I gave a variety of other things I found around the house, and now I have some ideas for even more, partly thanks to you - I know I have at least three mysteries that I can send, and will go through a box of books I had been planning to give to the library.  I love it when I can pass on something that I'm not using to someone who will!

 

This particular organization is called Helping Our Troops, they send care packages to local servicepeople from MA, and this is their website:

www.helpingourtroopsma.com

 

I was just looking at their wishlist, which is more extensive than was posted here at work, and I had heard about this before but had forgotten - Silly String, which they use to detect trip wires!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]

mary_kennedy wrote:

Dulcinea, that is wonderful that someone at work is sending packages to the troops. You probably already have a long wish list, but here are a few things that really went over well.

 

 Llittle tinfoil packages of tuna fish, and some of those individual packages of mayo--the kind you get at a deli or a fast food place. They always have bread available and they love to make tuna sandwiches.

 

And any kind of powdered drink mix, they come in individual packages (like Crystal Light)...they pour them right into water bottles. The water is not good over there. They'll drink more if they can kill the taste.

 

 Also, any kind of "cup of soup," "cup of noodles" items. I was shocked to learn they add water and cook them right on the hood of their jeeps (yes, that's how hot it is!).

 

 I sent loads of power bars, salted nuts, hard candy (no chocolate after April) and my good friend Carolyn Hart sent tons of coffee and powdered creamer. I know it seems a bit odd, sending coffee in that unbearable heat, but the soldiers need to be alert for night patrols.

 

. The kahlua brownies got all the attention, but I did send healthy stuff as well. (and my sources told me the brownies went first!). Don't cut them, just bake them in a pan with tinfoil, leave a big chunk of tinfoil hanging out on each side of the pan, then you can just lift out the whole thing, fold the tinfoil over and send it as a block. I sent 5 batches at a time, with nuts and kahlua and everyone loved them. They disappeared--instantly. I also made a home-made version of Chex mix with pecans and Caro syrup, the Louisiana contingent loved those.

 

Okay, I'll stop now. I realize this is the mystery forum and not the cooking channel! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to promote this, Becke, and If anyone needs more ideas, please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks again, mary 


This is wonderful, Mary and Dulcinea! With Memorial Day coming up, I think this is a great time to promote ideas like this - even if it is a Mystery board. If any of the rest of you support the troops in other ways, tell us about it.

 

I don't do nearly enough. Most of my work has involved a young man who went to school with my daughter, Matt Maupin. He was kidnapped during an attack on Fallujah and for years no one knew if he was alive or dead. His mother is a friend of mine - we created a cookbook to kick off a fundraiser for a scholarship in Matt's name. That scholarship has spawned scholarships in the names of some 41 soldiers from our region who died far too young. I think scholarships are a wonderful way to help these soldiers live on - if there are any in your area, you all might consider contributing to similar scholarship fundraisers.

 

Again, this isn't much, but I designed a garden in Matt's honor at his school and used my landscaping connections (I'm a garden writer) to get plants and materials donated. A fundraiser brought in enough to add a cool flag-design bench, too. There's now a second garden for Matt at East Fork park, but here are the details about the one at the school - you'd be amazed how the rose bushes have grown since the garden was installed back in 2006!

 

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/2006/07/garden-for-sgt-matt-maupin.html

 



 



 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos
New User
Dave_Diamantes
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

I'll give that nudge right away, thanks! I spent yesterday sfternoon and evening at my daughter's rehearsal dinner. Her wedding is this evening. This is a big day for her, the whole family, and for me.

 

I will never have to wear a tux again on this earth. If I have to wear it in the afterlife, I will obviously be in Hell, and I will have a lot more to worry about, so it won't seem so bad!

New User
Dave_Diamantes
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

The garden is beatiful. What a wonderful, positive tribute.

Author
mary_kennedy
Posts: 304
Registered: ‎08-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Becke, the garden is amazing! I know it will bring comfort to loved ones. And the scholarships are a terrific idea as well.

Author
mary_kennedy
Posts: 304
Registered: ‎08-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Dulcinea said, <<Silly String, which they use to detect trip wires<<Dulcinea, that is amazing...that would be a great detail to use in a book or article.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Mary and dulcinea3, thanks for all the extra info on what to include in the packages you send out to soldiers. Through the link you provided here, Mary, I have begun the registration process, and now have a user name and password. I have the print out form for application and plan to get that notarized today.  After that, I hope it won't take too long to hear from the volunteer coordinator. I'm already looking through my paperback book collection for selections to send!

 

becke, what a great idea to memorialize Matt, and the garden is indeed a beauty.!Love the idea of forming scholarships in the names ot fallen soldiers--that's a wonderful way to make sure their names live on, and giving access to education to the recepients is also a great way to enrich our society.

 

Don't know if I have mentioned this here or not, but my dad is a WWII veteran. He meets monthly with a group of other WWII vets in the Phoenix area, and as he always says, " I'm the youngest one there." Since he's now in his mid-eighties, I know that there will be a time coming when we won't have these veterans with us any more. My dad is so proud of his service, he wears one of those hats that the Vets have taken to wearing; his reads WWII Navy Vet.

We also will be remembering his younger brother this weekend, who died in service during the Korean War. I know many people just think of this weekend as a three-day holiday, but for me, and I hope many other Americans as well, it's a time to consider the sacrifices made for our country by countless men and women who have joined the military service, in many different branches and locations. God bless them, and our country, this weekend, and for all time.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


Dave_Diamantes wrote:

I'll give that nudge right away, thanks! I spent yesterday sfternoon and evening at my daughter's rehearsal dinner. Her wedding is this evening. This is a big day for her, the whole family, and for me.

 

I will never have to wear a tux again on this earth. If I have to wear it in the afterlife, I will obviously be in Hell, and I will have a lot more to worry about, so it won't seem so bad!


 



Big congratulations - hope you have fun tonight!




Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎10-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

All of y'all doing things for our vetrans and troops--thanks so much.  I'm really glad you talked about it here.  I don't do anywhere nearly enough, so I really appreciate the reminder.

 

Thanks.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]

BearMountainBooks wrote:

All of y'all doing things for our vetrans and troops--thanks so much.  I'm really glad you talked about it here.  I don't do anywhere nearly enough, so I really appreciate the reminder.

 

Thanks.

I don't want to be morbid, but I do think it's important to remember the reason this holiday is called "Memorial Day." So many families have lost members to war - I'm sure THEY don't forget.




Reader 4
totton
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

 

My name is, well let's just call me Totty.  I enjoy reading mysteries (Charlaine Harris comes to mind), legal thrillers (Patterson, Grisham, Meltzer, La Plante) and humorous fiction (Kinsella, Fluke, Davidson).  

 

I love suggestions for reads as well.  (hint, hint) :smileyhappy:

 

Right now I am reading

Above Suspicion (Anna Travis Series #1)  

and

A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Series #2)  

I'm listening to

s

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)  

because I have a long commute to work (1+ hour each way) and I haven't perfected reading and driving yet.  I decided this would be a much safer alternative!

 

I hope to pick up some leads on books here. 

 

Enjoy your day!

Happy Reading,

Totty
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


totton wrote:

Hello,

 

My name is, well let's just call me Totty.  I enjoy reading mysteries (Charlaine Harris comes to mind), legal thrillers (Patterson, Grisham, Meltzer, La Plante) and humorous fiction (Kinsella, Fluke, Davidson).  

 

I love suggestions for reads as well.  (hint, hint) :smileyhappy:

 

Right now I am reading

Above Suspicion (Anna Travis Series #1)  

and

A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Series #2)  

I'm listening to

s

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)  

because I have a long commute to work (1+ hour each way) and I haven't perfected reading and driving yet.  I decided this would be a much safer alternative!

 

I hope to pick up some leads on books here. 

 

Enjoy your day!


LOL, Totty - I'm with you on the reading while driving! I used to commute when I lived in Chicago and London. I got a LOT of reading done that way! Would have been nice to have an ereader back then. I read fast and sometimes I'd read a book each way, it if was a shortish book.

Reader
vickbrit
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-30-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


vickbrit wrote:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hi Vickie - Thanks so much for joining us!

Author
RJMcDonnell
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎05-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Nice to meet you, Totty. Thanks for sharing the book recommendations.

RJ McDonnell
Rock & Roll Mystery Series
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Lost and Fondue (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #2)  

 

 

Becke, I believe I've replied before, but I'm seeing so many new comments, that I'm not sure I have, so let me introduce myself.  (I just introduced myself on the Cozy Mystery thread).  For those only reading this thread, a cozy is also a mystery. In a cozy, an amateur sleuth solves the crime. Think "Murder, She Wrote" and many of the Agatha Christie mysteries.

 

I'm Avery Aames. I write A Cheese Shop Mystery series. The series is set in idyllic Holmes County, Ohio, and features Charlotte Bessette, a feisty cheese shop owner with a colorful extended family. The first, THE LONG QUICHE GOODBYE, recently won the Agatha Award for best first novel. The second, LOST AND FONDUE, came out in May.

 

In each book, the mystery is a stand-alone mystery, meaning you don't have to read the first to enjoy the second, though character journeys will vary book to book. Some of the cozy mysteries are classified as "culinary mysteries," which means food will be involved. In the case of the Cheese Shop mysteries, cheese is involved. Many of the culinary cozy mysteries will include recipes (which is great for foodies).

 

I hope you enjoy reading them. I adore writing them. Say cheese!

 

~Avery 

The Long Quiche Goodbye (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #1)