Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Becke,

A big hello to everyone in the community here.  I'm new so please be gentle! :smileyhappy:

I'm a huge mystery/thriller fan and have worked as a screenwriter, luckily getting a few (lousy) scripts produced.  when i wrote my first novel I felt that I had discovered my calling in life. 

But I haven't quit my day job, just yet!!!!

I work as a private security contractor and am currently deployed to a country in Central Asia ending in "stan."  It's tough sometimes, but I get lots of idea for new books.

My new novel, STORM DAMAGE, comes out in December.  Set in New Orleans, post-Katrina.  Lots of murder and mayhem!  I worked there as a security contractor for 2.5 years and have a few stories to tell!

Storm Damage  

So it's great to discover this communtity and I'll be stopping in often!

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

Becke,

A big hello to everyone in the community here.  I'm new so please be gentle! :smileyhappy:

I'm a huge mystery/thriller fan and have worked as a screenwriter, luckily getting a few (lousy) scripts produced.  when i wrote my first novel I felt that I had discovered my calling in life. 

I work as a private security contractor and am currently deployed to a country in Central Asia ending in "stan."  It's tough sometimes, but I get lots of idea for new books.

My new novel, STORM DAMAGE, comes out in December.  Set in New Orleans, post-Katrina.  Lots of murder and mayhem!  I worked there as a security contractor for 2.5 years and have a few stories to tell!

Storm Damage  

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

Hi Ed - Thanks so much for joining us! I just saw your post on our Archaeology thread (who knew that was such a popular topic in mysteries?).

Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable! Here's a couple to choose from:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

When we finally meet in person, Deb, we're going to CELEBRATE!

Amen to that :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

Becke,

Storm Damage  

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

Ed, this book looks really good. Welcome

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

Haha!  You bring tears to my eyes, as my quarters over here aren't quite so swank!

My vote goes to the brown leather chair and ottoman with the nice overhead lamp, all

the better for reading!

Cheers, Becke!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

Haha!  You bring tears to my eyes, as my quarters over here aren't quite so swank!

My vote goes to the brown leather chair and ottoman with the nice overhead lamp, all

the better for reading!

Cheers, Becke!

The one nice thing here is that there's always room for more!

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

Debbie,

Thanks!  I've gotten some nice advance praise from the likes of Steve Berry,

Jonathan Maberry, and Gayle Lynds.

The follow-up book is already finished and with my editor at SMP.

I'm developing new characters for a new series based on my current overseas work,

which is classified.  Fun, stealthy stuff!

I'll be sure to check out your blog.

Cheers,

Ed

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

Debbie,

Thanks!  I've gotten some nice advance praise from the likes of Steve Berry,

Jonathan Maberry, and Gayle Lynds.

The follow-up book is already finished and with my editor at SMP.

I'm developing new characters for a new series based on my current overseas work,

which is classified.  Fun, stealthy stuff!

I'll be sure to check out your blog.

Cheers,

Ed

Are you familiar with Paul Hochman? He was at BN.com a long time - he's at St. Martin's Press now.

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

Debbie,

No, I don't know Paul.  I've been trying to get to your blog but the page won't load.

Would you mind sending me the link to ed@edkovacs.com  ?

Cheers,

Ed

Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

Thanks Suze for pointing this out, it will be fun this coming Saturday, No unfortunately I won't be going to Bouchercon, when it was first announced you had to pay for the whole 4 day event, later after they said you could get a one day pass I found out my mom would be staying with me and we made plans for the rest of the weekend, but we will be going to the event at the library.

Lois, maybe next time I'll get to meet you. And of course Becke I would love to meet :smileyhappy:

Consider it a date, Deb!

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

I hope that this is the right way to get to be part of the Mystery Book Club.  I first got into the B&N book clubs when we had the First Look Book Club, and since then, along with the nooks (which I don't have) I have lost contact with any book club.  I am an avid reader and have more books at home than anything else other than my "zoo" Do we just read books we llike or is there listed books each month that we read and then talk about?  Not sure anymore how to do this.  Thank you for any help you can give.  I seems that all the book Clubs we used to have, have just disappeared..

Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bearsstar wrote:

I hope that this is the right way to get to be part of the Mystery Book Club.  I first got into the B&N book clubs when we had the First Look Book Club, and since then, along with the nooks (which I don't have) I have lost contact with any book club.  I am an avid reader and have more books at home than anything else other than my "zoo" Do we just read books we llike or is there listed books each month that we read and then talk about?  Not sure anymore how to do this.  Thank you for any help you can give.  I seems that all the book Clubs we used to have, have just disappeared..

Hi Jeanne -

You're right about the book clubs disappearing. Awhile back they changed the names of most of the boards to "forums" instead of "book clubs." 

While Mystery doesn't feature book club-type discussions, we do love to talk about books here! Also, on any given day you're likely to find an author or two (or more) chatting with our participants here. 

Check out my blog to see the schedule for the month (you can scroll down to see past features, which are still accessible if you search the author's name in the box at the upper right). Here's a link to my blog: http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/

And of course you can scroll down at the main Mystery link to see all the active discussions.

I'm glad you joined us - bring your books, pull up a chair and get cozy!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Bearsstar wrote:

Hi Bearsstar, I remember you from FL, I miss that forum like crazy.

Not to take anything away from Becke's great forum here at mystery, but if you're looking for a more traditional book club where there is a featured read every month, check out my forum here and more specifically check out this thread for a list of all features, scroll down to the bottom for the latest.

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Bearsstar wrote:

Not to take anything away from Becke's great forum here at mystery, but if you're looking for a more traditional book club where there is a featured read every month, check out my forum here and more specifically check out this thread for a list of all features, scroll down to the bottom for the latest.

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Debbie - Sorry I didn't suggest that sooner!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Bearsstar wrote:

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'll add a plug for Classics (no moderator; we take turns moderating the book discussions), and Literature by Women (moderated by Melissa).  In both clubs, we periodically nominate and vote for selections, so everybody has an input into what we read.  I know there are other forums that also hold book discussions, too, if you look around among the various genre forums.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

good morning

We're celebrating Agatha Christie's birthday all over the board today - go to the main Mystery thread and scroll down. Check out Deborah Sharp's guest blog and stop in to Agatha's birthday tea party on author Jeanne Adams' thread, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good Morning Scraps and Graphics

Yesterday was a crazy day here - we celebrated Agatha Christie's birthday at several threads here, including our featured author's thread (that's Jeanne Adams).

If you come across this at a later date, just type in "Agatha Christie" to the search field (upper right) to find these discussions, and more!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I got back a couple of hours ago from a " Jane Austen Tea" given along with an author signing at a mystery bookstore in Scottsdale. The tea was in conjunction with the release of Stephanie Barron's latest Jane Austen mystery--this latest is titled  Jane and the Canterbury Tale. It was a fun afternoon tea, although it was hot enough that I took the cooler tea which was labeled Blood Orange Rooibos, and it was very good. There were two kinds of scones and some homemade cookies that looked like gingersnaps.

I kind of hate to admit this, but I haven't read any of Stephanie's books, so I guess I will put a couple of them on my TBR pile.

Anyone in this forum familiar with this set of mysteries? If so, what is your impression of them? Stephanie is a very charming speaker, but I'm not sure if I will like a fictionalized version of Jane's life, even if it is in a mystery setting.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie