Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: Manhattan Affair

Mysteries set in New York, love it, love it!! Becke, I don't know how you manage to come up with these wonderful links but I'm glad you do!

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Love the Facebook page photos, left a comment. Fabulous! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Erin go Bragh, everyone, or happy Wearin' O' the Green today!

As usual, the wonderful Janet Rudolph has a full set of mystery books with an Irish theme, as well as some awesome chocolate recipes at the end. Those Bailey's Truffles look reeeeely good to me!

St. Patrick's Day Crime Fiction

Erin - go- bragh! St. Patrick's Day figures in several mysteries.  Here's an updated St. Patrick's Day Crime Fiction list. Irish Noir is very  popular right now, so you can always add titles to your TBR pile from the many Irish crime writers available, although they may not take place specifically during St. Patrick's Day. As always, I welcome comments and additions to this list.

ST. PATRICK'S DAY MYSTERIES

S. Furlong-Bollinger: Paddy Whacked
Isis Crawford: A Catered St. Patrick's Day
Nelson Demille: Cathedral
Andrew Greeley: Irish Gold
Jane Haddam: A Great Day for the Deadly
Lyn Hamilton: The Celtic Riddle
Lee Harris: The St. Patrick's Day Murder
Jonathan Harrington: A Great Day for Dying
Amanda Lee: The Long Stitch Good Night
Wendi Lee: The Good Daughter
Dan Mahoney: Once in, Never Out
Leslie Meier: St. Patrick's Day Murder
Sister Carol Anne O’Marie: Death Takes Up A Collection
Ralph M. McInerny: Lack of the Irish
Janet Elaine Smith: In St. Patrick's Custody
JJ Toner: St. Patrick's Day Special
Kathy Hogan Trochek: Irish Eyes
Noreen Wald: Death Never Takes a Holiday

Another great book to consider for the holiday is Dublin Noir, a fantastic collection of short stories edited by Ken Bruen and published by Akashic Books in the US and by Brandon in Ireland and the UK.

Be sure and check out Val McDermid's take on the Popularity of Irish Crime Fiction.

Mystery Readers Journal had an issue devoted to Irish Crime Fiction. Check out the table of contents. Articles by your favorite Irish crime writers.. and others. Available as a .pdf download and hardcopy.

And, if you want something chocolate to go along with your stout, have a look at my DyingforChocolate blog for some killer recipes including:

Guinness Chocolate Silk Pie
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
Chocolate Irish Soda Bread with Guinness Ice Cream
Bailey's Irish Cream Truffles (made with Kerry Gold Pure Irish Butter)
Bailey's Chocolate Trifle
You Make Me Want to Stout Cupcakes (Scharffen Berger)
Bailey's Irish Cream Fudge

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

As usual, the wonderful Janet Rudolph has a full set of mystery books with an Irish theme, as well as some awesome chocolate recipes at the end. Those Bailey's Truffles look reeeeely good to me!

Erin - go- bragh! St. Patrick's Day figures in several mysteries.  Here's an updated St. Patrick's Day Crime Fiction list. Irish Noir is very  popular right now, so you can always add titles to your TBR pile from the many Irish crime writers available, although they may not take place specifically during St. Patrick's Day. As always, I welcome comments and additions to this list.

Another great book to consider for the holiday is Dublin Noir, a fantastic collection of short stories edited by Ken Bruen and published by Akashic Books in the US and by Brandon in Ireland and the UK.

Be sure and check out Val McDermid's take on the Popularity of Irish Crime Fiction.

Mystery Readers Journal had an issue devoted to Irish Crime Fiction. Check out the table of contents. Articles by your favorite Irish crime writers.. and others. Available as a .pdf download and hardcopy.

And, if you want something chocolate to go along with your stout, have a look at my DyingforChocolate blog for some killer recipes including:

Fricka:

Thanks for all the St. Patrick day info. I made Shepherd's Pie for dinner the other night but I used Corned Beef and Ground Beef mixed with lager beer, sauerkraut, swiss and cheddar cheese, mashed potatoes with caraway seeds and of course all the veggies (onions, garlic, celery, carrots) beef broth too. Looking forward to the leftovers today!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi all! Happy St. Patrick's day! My avatar has green so no pinchin! :smileyvery-happy: haha. Eadie the pie sounds really good! Sharing any? :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Hi all! Happy St. Patrick's day! My avatar has green so no pinchin! :smileyvery-happy: haha. Eadie the pie sounds really good! Sharing any? :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

I agree, eadie's Shepherd's Pie really does sound good! I can't have cabbage, though, as it upsets my stomach. I'm planning to fix some potatoes and maybe some Talapia to go with them. Holly, had to smile at your "no pinchin' " comment. I remember in grade school, the kids would all say, you had to wear green on St. Patrick's day, or you would get "peenched".. :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone on this forum have big plans for today?

I guess I am getting a bit long in the tooth to go pub crawling, so I usually spend the evening watching The Quiet Man, with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, and the rest of the super talented cast, with the setting in old Ireland. It doesn't get any better than that, IMO.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Thanks so much, Fricka!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

[ Edited ]

Little Nellie Kelly  

Fricka wrote:

I agree, eadie's Shepherd's Pie really does sound good! I can't have cabbage, though, as it upsets my stomach. I'm planning to fix some potatoes and maybe some Talapia to go with them. Holly, had to smile at your "no pinchin' " comment. I remember in grade school, the kids would all say, you had to wear green on St. Patrick's day, or you would get "peenched".. :smileyvery-happy:

I guess I am getting a bit long in the tooth to go pub crawling, so I usually spend the evening watching The Quiet Man, with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, and the rest of the super talented cast, with the setting in old Ireland. It doesn't get any better than that, IMO.

My mother had surgery two days ago, and my best friend and I are going to go over and keep her company (she's home since yesterday) and have dinner with her.  I picked up a shepherd's pie at a local place that makes really geat dinners and other dishes - I don't think it has cabbage in it; it better not, because I can't stand cabbage!  My mother felt great yesterday and said she would make Irish soda bread, but today she's not feeling as well, so I will pick a loaf up at the grocery store bakery, along with some green dessert goodies of some sort, and whipped cream for Irish coffee, too.

I just have never been a John Wayne fan.  I actually have The Quiet Man, but have never watched it.  The Irish movie I usually watch is Little Nellie Kelly, starring Judy Garland.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Mmmmm Talapia. Now I could live off fishys. I loooove fish & sea food. Mmmm. I love fishin just as much too! :smileyhappy: As for party plans... hmm I'm gona hunt around the boards see who's throwing the biggest bash.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dulcinea3, so sorry to hear about your mom's having to have surgery. It's nice you live close enough to her that you can take her some goodies! Hope she has a speedy recovery!

Holly, that Tilapia was really good. I get the Gorton's fish fillets, so only have to pop them in the oven for around 25 minutes and they are then ready.Any time you are in my neck of the woods let me know and I'll fix some for you!!!!

My brother and sister-in-law are coming in for a short visit. She's on Spring Break next week, and is going to Jacksonville FL to visit her son, daughter-in-law, and 10 week-old baby grand-daughter. We hope she has a great time and brings back lots of pictures! My niece-in-law has been wonderful to send us lots of baby pictures, and little Tenley is now smiling in some of her pictures! She's a charmer, all right. I'm wondering if,after my tax refund comes in, I should plan to fly south myself to see the baby.

We'll see what happens... My niece is expecting a baby too, in May, so I may decide to stay put. Decisions, decisions!

Contributor
Jack_Sussek
0 Kudos

Although St. Patrick's Day doesn't play any role in the book my favorite Irish novel (Irish-American author) is CHARMING BILLY by Alice McDermott. I read it when it came out (seems like a million years ago now) and to this day it stays with me and is as fresh now as it was then. Perhaps I should re-read it. Anyway, a great day for the Irish and here in NYC where it is a mild spring day the streets are jammed with throngs of revelers and where I live, a half block off the parade route, it is one green blur.

Author of the latest fiction mystery-thriller: "Manhattan Affair"
Contributor
Jack_Sussek
0 Kudos

Thanks for the facebook comment Mary, if you are so inclined you can 'like' the page too. As well, Jed Chase has a facebook page too, with pictures and posts, etc....

Contributor
Jack_Sussek
0 Kudos

I guess I may as well list it:

www.facebook.com/manhattanaffair 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

GS2991 wrote:

My husband's watching Darby O'Gill and tha Little People!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Darby O'Gill and the Little People!

Man, that brings back memories--that film scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it, as a child. All I really remember from the first viewing is some scary green lightning-- I guess one might say it may have been a precursor to JK Rowling's Avada Kedavra killing curse, which of course Harry remembers as green light. I didn't even REALIZE that Sean Connery was in the film until many years later! Glad your husband can enjoy it, eadie. Have to note that there used to be all kinds of Irish-themed films showing on TV on St. Pat's day, but it's slim pickings today. That's one reason I went ahead and got the DVD of The Quiet Man.

Jack, it sounds as though you are really in the thick of things there in NYC. Have you ever taken part in one of the parades?

BTW, I noticed that Janet did not mention the Peter Tremayne series featuring Fidelma of Cashel. That series is one of my favorites, and I'm wondering if any of the rest of you are familiar with those books.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Irish books

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Irish books

Morning! Happy Monday! )
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Irish books

becke, thanks for the info on Barthomew Gill. I will have to check those out now, especially the one about the ancient bibliophile.

GS2991, there oughtta be a rule against chipper, early morning Monday greetings!.(grumble)

We got lots of rain here yesterday; in fact even a bit a hail, and the evening weather report stated that Flagstaff and other towns in the high regions got lots of snow. (Good news for the tourist industry there, as Snowbowl got lots of powdery snow that apparently is good for skiiing). But my head feels like it is full of cotton this morning. I don't like all this weather shifting. One day, we were up to the 80's, then the next it was down to 58 degrees.