Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Reader
Ahmad_Ardalan
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke, I am glad to be here.
Wordsmith
writerfire
0 Kudos

I late.... but uhh....
Have a great Labor Day weekend all!!!!!!
Miss ya guys!
The best surprize is one left untold.
becke_davis

Here's a picture of my grandbaby and her daddy (my son!) - she's a month old already!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

How sweet!!! :heart:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Here's a picture of my grandbaby and her daddy (my son!) - she's a month old already!

Very cute!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Oooh, how precious, becke! Looks like little Adaline is a chip off the old block--her daddy, that is! And, doesn't it look like she's smiling????

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

And, speaking of babies, I got to see my grand-niece and grand-nephew yesterday. The babies did fuss a bit, but neither of them really started a serious crying jag, which was a relief. As my Dad says, " You need to take children to restaurants while they are very young, so they get used to it and learn how to behave."

I enjoyed our family get-together at Outback Steakhouse(Mom and I both got the California Salad, with Salmon--- soooo yummy!) I had called to make reservations, so we got two large round tables put together. Mom and Dad sat across from me at one table, and my niece sat next to me, and her soon-to-be-three-month-old son was in his carry- seat next to her, and her husband was on the other side. Her husband did the honors of cutting the bread for us at our table. My sister-in-law sat next to me, at the nearby table, and my brother was next to her, then my nephew, his wife, and their seven-month-old( this month) daughter was in her carry-on seat next to her mother. She's teething and a bit cranky, but not bad. We had a great time visiting and eating!

Then, later in the afternoon, I traveled to Scottsdale to attend the Louise Penny book signing. Louise is like a Rock Star in the mystery fandom, as it was pretty much  SRO in the *cough*Mystery Bookstore in Scottsdale*cough*. I had left home one hour ahead of the scheduled signing, thinking that would get me to the store 30 minutes ahead of the signing, and that I'd have an easy time finding a parking. Wrong! ALL of the parking slots in the back of the store were taken, and it was clear that people had started parking on the side street next to the store. I was just lucky enough to find a shaded spot to park in.

When I got into the store, I got my book, which I had pre-ordered( a good thing, too, as the store actually RAN OUT of copies of A Beautiful Mystery later!)I ended up finding a chair at the back of the store; in fact, I sat in one of the "author's chairs" which are next to the signing table! I got to talking to the lady sitting next to me, who was sitting in the other signing chair, and she told me she'd been listening to the audiobook, and that there was a real treat in the first part of the book.

Barbara Peters came to the signing area, chatted with us a bit while we were waiting for Louise and then she did the honors of interviewing Louise. One tidbit that I got from the evening that I can share here, is that Louise's first book, Still Life, was first published in the U.K. and not available to the reading public in the U.S. Apparently someone had given Barbara a copy, and she called the publishing company, wanting them to ship 100 books to her, but they told her they had only published a small amount of the books, and were already sold out! Louise thanked Barbara for championing her, and for essentially being responsible for getting Louise's books published and available in the U.S.

Sorry, I will end here, as I started reading A Beautiful Mystery last evening, and I kept waking up and reading more pages during the night. But it's catching up to me now, so I need to get in a morning nap!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Oooh, how precious, becke! Looks like little Adaline is a chip off the old block--her daddy, that is! And, doesn't it look like she's smiling????

She is starting to smile and giggle now, which is so cute! And she's finally figured out how to suck her thumb. They have to constantly trim her nails - they grow fast and are sharp, so she's scratched herself several times, including the inside of her mouth. Ouch!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

And, speaking of babies, I got to see my grand-niece and grand-nephew yesterday. The babies did fuss a bit, but neither of them really started a serious crying jag, which was a relief. As my Dad says, " You need to take children to restaurants while they are very young, so they get used to it and learn how to behave."

I enjoyed our family get-together at Outback Steakhouse(Mom and I both got the California Salad, with Salmon--- soooo yummy!) I had called to make reservations, so we got two large round tables put together. Mom and Dad sat across from me at one table, and my niece sat next to me, and her soon-to-be-three-month-old son was in his carry- seat next to her, and her husband was on the other side. Her husband did the honors of cutting the bread for us at our table. My sister-in-law sat next to me, at the nearby table, and my brother was next to her, then my nephew, his wife, and their seven-month-old( this month) daughter was in her carry-on seat next to her mother. She's teething and a bit cranky, but not bad. We had a great time visiting and eating!

Then, later in the afternoon, I traveled to Scottsdale to attend the Louise Penny book signing. Louise is like a Rock Star in the mystery fandom, as it was pretty much  SRO in the *cough*Mystery Bookstore in Scottsdale*cough*. I had left home one hour ahead of the scheduled signing, thinking that would get me to the store 30 minutes ahead of the signing, and that I'd have an easy time finding a parking. Wrong! ALL of the parking slots in the back of the store were taken, and it was clear that people had started parking on the side street next to the store. I was just lucky enough to find a shaded spot to park in.

When I got into the store, I got my book, which I had pre-ordered( a good thing, too, as the store actually RAN OUT of copies of A Beautiful Mystery later!)I ended up finding a chair at the back of the store; in fact, I sat in one of the "author's chairs" which are next to the signing table! I got to talking to the lady sitting next to me, who was sitting in the other signing chair, and she told me she'd been listening to the audiobook, and that there was a real treat in the first part of the book.

Barbara Peters came to the signing area, chatted with us a bit while we were waiting for Louise and then she did the honors of interviewing Louise. One tidbit that I got from the evening that I can share here, is that Louise's first book, Still Life, was first published in the U.K. and not available to the reading public in the U.S. Apparently someone had given Barbara a copy, and she called the publishing company, wanting them to ship 100 books to her, but they told her they had only published a small amount of the books, and were already sold out! Louise thanked Barbara for championing her, and for essentially being responsible for getting Louise's books published and available in the U.S.

Sorry, I will end here, as I started reading A Beautiful Mystery last evening, and I kept waking up and reading more pages during the night. But it's catching up to me now, so I need to get in a morning nap!

I would have shown up for Barbara Peters, too - she's a favorite of mine! She spoke at Malice Domestic and was fabulous! I think she makes a point of helping authors get their books in print. At Malice she suggested we contact the publishers if mystery books are out of print, and suggest they reissue them. Brilliant idea!

Wordsmith
writerfire
0 Kudos

Aw
Awesome pic Becke!!!!!
The best surprize is one left untold.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

writerfire wrote:
Aw
Awesome pic Becke!!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

News from HarperCollins:

HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS ANNOUNCES BOURBON STREET BOOKS,

A NEW LINE OF PAPERBACK MYSTERIES

New York, NY (9/4/2012) – HarperCollins Publishers announces today the launch ofBOURBON STREET BOOKS, a new line of paperback mystery novels. 

HarperCollins has a long and successful history of publishing in the mystery genre. Although Edgar Allen Poe had published mystery short stories in the 1840s, the first detective novel, Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone, was published by Harper and Row in 1868 and introduced the genre in that form. And, since 2010, HarperCollins has been the global publisher of the Agatha Christie estate.

BOURBON STREET BOOKS will publish all types of mysteries and will feature paperback originals, reprints, backlist titles, and reissued classics. We will launch the line in the fall 2012 season with two paperback originals: The Hollow Man, an exciting debut by British author Oliver Harris, and Blood Linethe 7th book in the Anna Travis series by international bestselling author Lynda La Plante, both publishing on October 23rd. We will also bring back into print Dorothy L. Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey with Harriet Vane series for the launch on October 16th, including Strong PoisonHave His CarcaseBusman’s HoneymoonandGaudy Night.   Nick Drake’s Egypt: The Book of Chaos will release as a trade paperback in December under this new line.

For the winter 2013 season, we will be reissuing four Mary Kay Andrews novels — Happy Never After, Homemade SinTo Live and Die in DixieEvery Crooked Nanny  all ofwhich were originally written under her real name, Kathy Hogan Trocheck, and will now be published under Mary Kay Andrews for the first time in March. Nicola Upson’s next entry in her Josephine Tey series, Fear in the Sunlight, will be published in April.  The new book in Michael Stanley’s acclaimed Detective Kubu series, and a spy thriller called The Geneva Option by debut author Adam LeBor will publish under this new line in the summer 2013 season.

A full marketing campaign, including online advertising and a dedicated Facebook page, will be released for the books: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bourbon-Street-Books/374193619320147#

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

News from HarperCollins:

New York, NY (9/4/2012) – HarperCollins Publishers announces today the launch ofBOURBON STREET BOOKS, a new line of paperback mystery novels. 

HarperCollins has a long and successful history of publishing in the mystery genre. Although Edgar Allen Poe had published mystery short stories in the 1840s, the first detective novel, Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone, was published by Harper and Row in 1868 and introduced the genre in that form. And, since 2010, HarperCollins has been the global publisher of the Agatha Christie estate.

BOURBON STREET BOOKS will publish all types of mysteries and will feature paperback originals, reprints, backlist titles, and reissued classics. We will launch the line in the fall 2012 season with two paperback originals: The Hollow Man, an exciting debut by British author Oliver Harris, and Blood Linethe 7th book in the Anna Travis series by international bestselling author Lynda La Plante, both publishing on October 23rd. We will also bring back into print Dorothy L. Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey with Harriet Vane series for the launch on October 16th, including Strong PoisonHave His CarcaseBusman’s HoneymoonandGaudy Night.   Nick Drake’s Egypt: The Book of Chaos will release as a trade paperback in December under this new line.

For the winter 2013 season, we will be reissuing four Mary Kay Andrews novels — Happy Never After, Homemade SinTo Live and Die in DixieEvery Crooked Nanny  all ofwhich were originally written under her real name, Kathy Hogan Trocheck, and will now be published under Mary Kay Andrews for the first time in March. Nicola Upson’s next entry in her Josephine Tey series, Fear in the Sunlight, will be published in April.  The new book in Michael Stanley’s acclaimed Detective Kubu series, and a spy thriller called The Geneva Option by debut author Adam LeBor will publish under this new line in the summer 2013 season.

A full marketing campaign, including online advertising and a dedicated Facebook page, will be released for the books: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bourbon-Street-Books/374193619320147#

WTG HarperCollins

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

News from HarperCollins:

WTG HarperCollins

I've read the Kathy Hogan Trocheck books and loved them all!

Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Series #1)  

To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Series #2)  

Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Series #3)  

Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Series #4)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

What a sweet photo !!!
They look so much alike !
becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:
What a sweet photo !!!
They look so much alike !

I think she looks more like her mom, but she's definitely starting to share her dad's coloring!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Eadie's Photo - Fricka, are you in this picture?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Eadie's Photo - Fricka, are you in this picture?

Becke:

Can't see picture. Let me try to send again. Since I copied it off of facebook and the original is not mine, that may be the problem.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt