Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

PandaPaws wrote:

I never realized B&N had a forum, but I was looking for new suggestions on books to read and happened upon the many helpful conversations here.  I'm excited for the interaction and feedback.  A little bit about me, I'm 27 and recently finished getting my MA.  While I try to figure out what to do with my life, I'm enjoying having free time to once again pleasure read, since I haven't been able to do it in so long. Can't wait to see what some members favorites are and pick up some new books to read.  (Providing my overflowing book shelf can handle it) ;-) 

Thanks so much for joining us! If you're looking for new books to read, tell us a little about your favorite books and we'll come up with suggestions for you. You might want to consider getting more bookshelves, though... ;-)

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

P. D. James is long-time favorite of mine as well.  There's something about the British restraint that works so well in traditional mysteries. Now I'm looking forward to starting one of Erin Hart's Irish mysteries.  Any one out there familiar with her work?

Jean Harrington
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

P. D. James is long-time favorite of mine as well.  There's something about the British restraint that works so well in traditional mysteries. Now I'm looking forward to starting one of Erin Hart's Irish mysteries.  Any one out there familiar with her work?

Hi Jean - Yay! I'm glad you were able to sign in. Erin Hart has a lot of fans here - she's been a featured author here, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

FYI - Jean is our featured author the week of April 15!

Killer Kitchens  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Killer Kitchens  

Looking forward to meeting Jean, becke, and that book of hers looks interesting. Seems I have been reading a lot of mysteries lately that either have a foodie or vintage clothing tie-in.

Don't know how active I will be on the forum that week, though. On the 19th is when a group of my female cousins from my Mom's side of the family are coming to the Phoenix area for a reunion. I've already arranged a couple of restaurant reservations, and am still in the process of checking out some other dining places and shops that I think they might be interested in.Friday I was in Old Town Glendale/Catlin Court. I went to the Visitor's Center and picked up a bunch of brochures and had a nice conversation with the woman who was working there. Ended up dining at Cee Cee's on the Corner. It's located in an older bungalow-type house, built in the late 1800's and filled with antiques and other collectibles. The Salmon Salad I had there was delicious, and so the place is going on my list of those I will be recommending to my cousins. Then yesterday, I talked my Mom and Dad into going with me to check out a restaurant in one of the nearby shopping centers located close to the hotel my cousins will be staying at. We dined at Shane's Rib Shack. I ordered the Sampler Plate so I got ribs, pulled pork, and chicken tenders plus two sides that came with it. The portions were H-U-G-E! It was quite a bit more meat than I am used to eating at one setting, but must admit the ribs and pulled pork were delicious. The setting is a bit rustic so not sure if it would down my cousin's alley, but I will certainly discuss it with them. Ah, the joys of research!!!!!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Killer Kitchens  

Looking forward to meeting Jean, becke, and that book of hers looks interesting. Seems I have been reading a lot of mysteries lately that either have a foodie or vintage clothing tie-in.

Don't know how active I will be on the forum that week, though. On the 19th is when a group of my female cousins from my Mom's side of the family are coming to the Phoenix area for a reunion. I've already arranged a couple of restaurant reservations, and am still in the process of checking out some other dining places and shops that I think they might be interested in.Friday I was in Old Town Glendale/Catlin Court. I went to the Visitor's Center and picked up a bunch of brochures and had a nice conversation with the woman who was working there. Ended up dining at Cee Cee's on the Corner. It's located in an older bungalow-type house, built in the late 1800's and filled with antiques and other collectibles. The Salmon Salad I had there was delicious, and so the place is going on my list of those I will be recommending to my cousins. Then yesterday, I talked my Mom and Dad into going with me to check out a restaurant in one of the nearby shopping centers located close to the hotel my cousins will be staying at. We dined at Shane's Rib Shack. I ordered the Sampler Plate so I got ribs, pulled pork, and chicken tenders plus two sides that came with it. The portions were H-U-G-E! It was quite a bit more meat than I am used to eating at one setting, but must admit the ribs and pulled pork were delicious. The setting is a bit rustic so not sure if it would down my cousin's alley, but I will certainly discuss it with them. Ah, the joys of research!!!!!

Jean has visited with us several times before:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Jean-Harrington-on-Agatha-Christie-s-AND-THEN-THERE-W...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-JEAN-HARRINGTON/m-p/1345062/high...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-JEAN-HARRINGTON/m-p/1265245/high...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I LOVE Betty Boop!!!  That's a really pretty one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I LOVE Betty Boop!!!  That's a really pretty one.

I thought it was a hot pink kind of day! :-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

How time flies...

New User
larrypatrickshriner

[ Edited ]

Hello. My name is Larry Patrick Shriner, and I am a published crime novelist. I currently have three novels in print – Epilogue for Murder, Angel Falling, and Shadowstalker.  They are hard boiled private detective novels set in Florida and  Georgia. I am excited about posting here, and just wanted to share a bit  about me as an introduction. I also have website at www.larryshriner.net and a blog at lpshriner.blogspot.com. I promise you will hear from me and welcome comments on my work. Thank you

Edited by moderator

becke_davis
0 Kudos

larrypatrickshriner wrote:

Hello. My name is Larry Patrick Shriner, and I am a published crime novelist. I currently have three novels in print – Epilogue for Murder, Angel Falling, and Shadowstalker.  They are hard boiled private detective novels set in Florida and  Georgia. I am excited about posting here, and just wanted to share a bit  about me as an introduction. I also have website at www.larryshriner.net and a blog at lpshriner.blogspot.com. I promise you will hear from me and welcome comments on my work. Thank you

Edited by moderator

Hi Larry - I'm sorry I had to edit your post but since this site is hosted by Barnes & Noble, no other booksellers can be mentioned here. I can't find your books on Nook, but if at some time they become available through BN.com, let me know and I'll add the links!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Larry...I just Found Your Books on BN...So Becke can you post them BC I can't seem to...Congrats Larry I also pinned 1 on Pinterest under E-Mysteries ,,,Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks, Susan. I tried searching with Google instead of the Add Product link and I see why one of them didn't work. For some reason it's listed at B&N as "Mr. Larry Patrick Shriner." Here's that one:

Shadowstalker  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This one didn't show up in a product search at B&N either, but did show up in a Google search:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/angel-falling-larry-patrick-shriner/1009214471?ean=9780595712489

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke...I can't find Add Product...Format must be different now...Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Thanks Becke...I can't find Add Product...Format must be different now...Susan

Add a link to a product on Barnes & Noble

You should see this image (above) in the toolbar above the comment box after you click "Reply." You can choose books, ebooks, audio, etc.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Mystery Scene header

Greetings!

Spring is here at last which means we're gearing up for the Edgar Awards Banquet in New York City, followed by the Malice Domestic Conventionin suburban Washington, D.C., in May. Brian and I hope to see many of you at one or the other of these events. If not, perhaps our paths will cross at Bouchercon in Albany, New York, or  Magna Cum Murder in Indianapolis later this year.

To get you in the spring spirit, Senior Editor Teri Duerr has pulled together a dream team of crime writers to choose their favorite baseball mysteries. Teri is also responsible for the spiffy new look of "At the Scene." Pretty, isn't it?

We're busily working away on the Spring Issue #129, which you'll receive later this month. If your subscription is coming to an end, don't forget to renew. You won't want to miss this issue!

Best,
Kate Stine
Editor in chief

MS #128, Winter 2013

continental breakfast

JOIN US!
Mystery Scene's New Authors' Breakfast at Malice Domestic
Sat., May 4, 2013

MS blog button

MS TwitterMS Facebook

CONTENTS
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

It's one week to the day that my cousins arrived in Phoenix for our reunion. We all had a introductory dinner at an Olive Garden restaurant that was approximately one mile from the hotel where they were staying, and my  mom & dad, brother and his wife, and nephew and his wife and their baby daughter were all in attendance as well. Some of my cousins mistook my nephew for his dad at first, which was pretty funny. Lots of picture-taking, of course, and catching up with relatives whom we hadn't seen for years, sometimes decades made it  a memorable evening. Later at the hotel we exchanged photographs and swapped family stories.

The next day, it was back to all females as we descended on Old Town Glendale and had fun visiting shops located in renovated older homes, and having lunch at The Spicery. That was wonderful as the restaurant had put us all in the same room(luckily we all fit!) and the cousins loved the old-time decor. The food was great too, by the way. If you are ever in the Glendale area, this is a must-see.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

It's one week to the day that my cousins arrived in Phoenix for our reunion. We all had a introductory dinner at an Olive Garden restaurant that was approximately one mile from the hotel where they were staying, and my  mom & dad, brother and his wife, and nephew and his wife and their baby daughter were all in attendance as well. Some of my cousins mistook my nephew for his dad at first, which was pretty funny. Lots of picture-taking, of course, and catching up with relatives whom we hadn't seen for years, sometimes decades made it  a memorable evening. Later at the hotel we exchanged photographs and swapped family stories.

The next day, it was back to all females as we descended on Old Town Glendale and had fun visiting shops located in renovated older homes, and having lunch at The Spicery. That was wonderful as the restaurant had put us all in the same room(luckily we all fit!) and the cousins loved the old-time decor. The food was great too, by the way. If you are ever in the Glendale area, this is a must-see.

I love the quote and the beautiful table setting! Thanks for sharing your reunion news - what fun! The closest we get to reunions in our family is when someone gets married, and even then we rarely get the whole group. I hope you took a ton of pictures!