Author
DuffyBrown
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Yes, we should make plans to go and invite the readers! We could do tea at the lovely SCAD tearoom. I'm in!!

Consignment: Murder
Berkley Prime Crime
Ice Chiffon
Killer in Crinolines
Pearls and Poison
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DuffyBrown wrote:

Yes, we should make plans to go and invite the readers! We could do tea at the lovely SCAD tearoom. I'm in!!

Hopefully there will be room for this in the budget before too long. This year is NUTS!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and grandmothers on our forum.

My Mom loved the presents we got her, and even started singing while she was walking around the house! My Dad had gotten her a gift card from Olive Garden, so guess where we went to eat to for a celebratory lunch today?:catwink:

On a more sober note, I  realized ( again) that out of all of the cousins who met here for our reunion here in Phoenix in April I'm the only one with a mother who is still living. I admit sometimes she irritates the heck out of me, but I do know she did a great job of making me feel loved when I was younger. I am trying to be more patient when she veers off into dementia, but it is not easy. I'm just thankful we had a very good day today.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and grandmothers on our forum.

My Mom loved the presents we got her, and even started singing while she was walking around the house! My Dad had gotten her a gift card from Olive Garden, so guess where we went to eat to for a celebratory lunch today?:catwink:

On a more sober note, I  realized ( again) that out of all of the cousins who met here for our reunion here in Phoenix in April I'm the only one with a mother who is still living. I admit sometimes she irritates the heck out of me, but I do know she did a great job of making me feel loved when I was younger. I am trying to be more patient when she veers off into dementia, but it is not easy. I'm just thankful we had a very good day today.

My dad's mom died when he was just 15, and his step-mother died about 20 years ago. My mom's family, for the most part, is longer lived. This is my mom with Adaline:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Adaline is adorable!! Her hair is gorgeous!

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Duffy, what is the SCAD tearoom? South Carolina....something? I am intrigued!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

I agree, Mary.  becke, I am rather jealous of your grand-daughters gorgeous locks. My grand-niece is just now beginning to have some obvious hair growth. However, most of it is in the back, so it does not show up in front for pictures. In our family, we have a history of "bald-headed" babies as both my brother and I were so blond that even when we did start having our hair grow, it did not show up very much. My Dad still jokes about people asking him about his "little boy" when he had taken ME for an outing. My neice-in-law also has told my brother and sister-in-law that HER hair did not really come in until she was past two. So I guess we will have to wait a while longer for the girl baby in our family to look more, well, like a girl instead of a boy.

Getting back to that picture--that's a great photo of your mom and Adaline, becke. So precious. Adaline's red hair really shows up in that picture.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

mary_kennedy wrote:

I agree, Mary.  becke, I am rather jealous of your grand-daughters gorgeous locks. My grand-niece is just now beginning to have some obvious hair growth. However, most of it is in the back, so it does not show up in front for pictures. In our family, we have a history of "bald-headed" babies as both my brother and I were so blond that even when we did start having our hair grow, it did not show up very much. My Dad still jokes about people asking him about his "little boy" when he had taken ME for an outing. My neice-in-law also has told my brother and sister-in-law that HER hair did not really come in until she was past two. So I guess we will have to wait a while longer for the girl baby in our family to look more, well, like a girl instead of a boy.

Getting back to that picture--that's a great photo of your mom and Adaline, becke. So precious. Adaline's red hair really shows up in that picture.

I think Adaline's mass of hair was inherited from her mom. While thick hair is normal in my family, the babies don't usually have much hair until after they turn one. Adaline has had a lot of hair right from the start!

This is Adaline's daddy when he was about 15 months old:

Author
DuffyBrown
0 Kudos

One adorable kid! Loooove the hair. Such a cutie. He's you!

Consignment: Murder
Berkley Prime Crime
Ice Chiffon
Killer in Crinolines
Pearls and Poison
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I agree with Duffy. Your son was adorable--hard to believe he was only 15 months old at the time that picture was taken, though. It's clear little Adaline is a "chip-ette" off the old block. :-)

Were you also a red-head when you were a child, becke? If I remember correctly, the red-hair gene has to come from both sides of the family, so you AND your husband must  both have had some relatives with red hair.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I agree with Duffy. Your son was adorable--hard to believe he was only 15 months old at the time that picture was taken, though. It's clear little Adaline is a "chip-ette" off the old block. :-)

Were you also a red-head when you were a child, becke? If I remember correctly, the red-hair gene has to come from both sides of the family, so you AND your husband must  both have had some relatives with red hair.

You're right, which is why my brother and sister - who, like me, were redheaded kids - don't have redheads among their kids. My grandfather and my husband's father were redheads, and Adaline's dad and both grandmas were redheads. We didn't think Adaline's hair was red at first - it looked brown under the fluorescent lights at the hospital - but there's no mistaking it now!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry I've been MIA for most of the past week. Our computer has been ailing-- neither the e-mail nor the internet functions were working. Bummer. Computer whiz guy didn't make it to our home until later last evening. He got a lot of the problems cleared up but plans to come back Sunday to maybe check out the modem, and if he takes that with him, I will be incommunicado until we get it back. So I'm trying to get as much done on the forum this morning as possible.

We are going to have lunch today with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew, his wife, and their 14-month-old daughter. Dad is going to the funeral service of one of his friends, and we don't know if he'll be back in time to join us for lunch or not. As he's riding with someone else who is going to the service, he doesn't really have control over what time he might get back.

Finally got in touch with one of my former colleagues from work. He had a stroke last summer, and is just now going to be able to move into a home separate from his sister's. At present he stays with his sister during the week, and then goes to his home on weekends. I've got a couple of other friends from work who have been asking about him lined up, and if all goes according to plan, we'll all be having lunch at a local Greek restaurant next Saturday. It was really good to talk with him on the phone, and I am really looking forward to seeing him again.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Sorry I've been MIA for most of the past week. Our computer has been ailing-- neither the e-mail nor the internet functions were working. Bummer. Computer whiz guy didn't make it to our home until later last evening. He got a lot of the problems cleared up but plans to come back Sunday to maybe check out the modem, and if he takes that with him, I will be incommunicado until we get it back. So I'm trying to get as much done on the forum this morning as possible.

We are going to have lunch today with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew, his wife, and their 14-month-old daughter. Dad is going to the funeral service of one of his friends, and we don't know if he'll be back in time to join us for lunch or not. As he's riding with someone else who is going to the service, he doesn't really have control over what time he might get back.

Finally got in touch with one of my former colleagues from work. He had a stroke last summer, and is just now going to be able to move into a home separate from his sister's. At present he stays with his sister during the week, and then goes to his home on weekends. I've got a couple of other friends from work who have been asking about him lined up, and if all goes according to plan, we'll all be having lunch at a local Greek restaurant next Saturday. It was really good to talk with him on the phone, and I am really looking forward to seeing him again.

Have fun with your family today! I hope your computer is working better now. It's bad enough battling the gnomes and gremlins here without our computers contributing to the problems!

Yum - I love Greek food! Well, all kinds of Mediterranean food, really. Is it lunch time yet??

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I'm trying to get a few last posts in before the computer wizard comes for ours. Not sure what time he will end up getting here, but he's going to take the modem with him for a thorough cleaning. He doesn't exactly work nine to five hours on weekdays, so it's not clear to me exactly when we'll get the modem back, either.

At a guess, I'll be off line for at least a couple of days, maybe a week(hoping it won't be longer than that!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mystery Scene header

Indian Paintbrush

Indian Paintbrush, the state flower of Wyoming.

Greetings!

Hi everyone, Wyoming is the least populous state in the US, but I would bet that C.J. Box's novels have set more than a few mystery readers daydreaming of a new life out west. Our talk with this articulate and ardent proponent of Wyoming will only fan the flames - westward, ho! 

Other treats in this issue include Kevin Burton Smith's ode to the "Hot Rides of Private Eyes Past," Martin Edward's examination of Dorothy L. Sayers' real-life detective skills, and a talk with former journalist-turned-novelist Brad Parks

Lynn Kaczmarek chats with Erin Hart about her atmospheric mysteries set in Ireland, and Brian Skupin catches up with Linda Barnes, who is making a welcome return to crime writing after ending her Carlotta Carlyle series a few years back. Old Time Radio fans will be interested in Michael Mallory's tribute to the Inner Sanctum Mystery program. 

Every issue of Mystery Scene celebrates the work of crime writers. But to do that, another sort of writer is required - a critic. Critics seldom get the plaudits they routinely hand out to others, but we're happy to report thatOline H. Cogdill received the 2013 Raven Award from the Mystery Writers of America at this year's Edgar Awards Banquet. Oline always brings a discerning eye and a love of the genre to her work, whether she's writing for Mystery Scene or for her nationally syndicated review column. Well done, Oline! Don't miss Betty Webb's wide-ranging conversation with Oline in this issue about the ins-and-outs of a literary critic's life. 

Best,
Kate Stine
Editor in chief

#129, Spring 2013

#129, Spring 2013

CONTENTS
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Mystery Scene header

Indian Paintbrush

Indian Paintbrush, the state flower of Wyoming.

Greetings!

Hi everyone, Wyoming is the least populous state in the US, but I would bet that C.J. Box's novels have set more than a few mystery readers daydreaming of a new life out west. Our talk with this articulate and ardent proponent of Wyoming will only fan the flames - westward, ho! 

Other treats in this issue include Kevin Burton Smith's ode to the "Hot Rides of Private Eyes Past," Martin Edward's examination of Dorothy L. Sayers' real-life detective skills, and a talk with former journalist-turned-novelist Brad Parks

Lynn Kaczmarek chats with Erin Hart about her atmospheric mysteries set in Ireland, and Brian Skupin catches up with Linda Barnes, who is making a welcome return to crime writing after ending her Carlotta Carlyle series a few years back. Old Time Radio fans will be interested in Michael Mallory's tribute to the Inner Sanctum Mystery program. 

Every issue of Mystery Scene celebrates the work of crime writers. But to do that, another sort of writer is required - a critic. Critics seldom get the plaudits they routinely hand out to others, but we're happy to report thatOline H. Cogdill received the 2013 Raven Award from the Mystery Writers of America at this year's Edgar Awards Banquet. Oline always brings a discerning eye and a love of the genre to her work, whether she's writing for Mystery Scene or for her nationally syndicated review column. Well done, Oline! Don't miss Betty Webb's wide-ranging conversation with Oline in this issue about the ins-and-outs of a literary critic's life. 

Best,
Kate Stine
Editor in chief

#129, Spring 2013

#129, Spring 2013

CONTENTS

I recently bought that issue of Mystery Scene, becke. Really enjoyed the article about Dorothy Sayers, who,  being one of the English grande dames of the mystery genre, is one of my favorite authors. The article mainly deals with the research she did into real crimes and how she utilized those in her fiction. I had never seen the portrait of her that accompanied the article, and have to say I really liked it as it seemed to indicate more of the type of insuciance one would associate with the creator of Lord Peter Wimsey. Other photos or pictures of her are not very flattering or revealing of her character.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

To Holly:

One of the disadvantages of missing out on the forum for even a few days. I don't know what's happened in Holly's life, but I join in sending my sympathy anyway.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Well, I'm back--finally. Got computer access back last night.

I'd like to wish everyone a very safe and happy Memorial Day today. My dad's younger brother was killed in the Korean conflict, so I'll be remembering him today. My Dad is one of the few remaining WWII vets.