Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Lovely Dulcinea3 ..Hope all is going smoothly for Holly
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


Vermontcozy wrote:
Lovely Dulcinea3 ..Hope all is going smoothly for Holly

Holly's been so busy with classes I don't think she's had time to visit the forums lately. But in case she does stop by, I wanted her to know we're thinking of her!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/jk-rowling-pseudonym-robert-galbraith_n_3592769.html

 

JK Rowling Pseudonym: Robert Galbraith's 'The Cuckoo's Calling' Is Actually By Harry Potter Author

 

The Cuckoo's Calling  

 

Overview

 

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

 

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

 

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

 

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

 

Publishers Weekly

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


becke_davis wrote:

Love it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

I'm off to Florida, to help my daughter pack and move. Back Tuesday! I'll check in when I can!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Guess what? I'm baaack! The computer wizard changed our homepage from yahoo! to Startpage, and now I find I can get back onto the Mystery Forum here! Had about given up hope I would ever be able to get on again, at least for more than a nano-second. Going to find some threads to comment on while this lasts!

 

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


Fricka wrote:

Guess what? I'm baaack! The computer wizard changed our homepage from yahoo! to Startpage, and now I find I can get back onto the Mystery Forum here! Had about given up hope I would ever be able to get on again, at least for more than a nano-second. Going to find some threads to comment on while this lasts!

 


Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Yay - welcome back, Fricka!  Check out the thread on what's coming up - Susan Wittig Albert and Stephanie Barron!  Psched!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


dulcinea3 wrote:

Yay - welcome back, Fricka!  Check out the thread on what's coming up - Susan Wittig Albert and Stephanie Barron!  Psched!


Susan hasn't been able to sign on - the usual problems - but I'm hoping we can fix that. If not, I'll post her comments the same as I've done before.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


becke_davis wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/jk-rowling-pseudonym-robert-galbraith_n_3592769.html

 

JK Rowling Pseudonym: Robert Galbraith's 'The Cuckoo's Calling' Is Actually By Harry Potter Author

 

The Cuckoo's Calling  

 

 

Oh, grrr, the gnomes are at it again! Just lost the sentence I wrote! Finally got that book from the library!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Overview

 

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

 

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

 

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

 

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

 

 

 

Publishers Weekly

 

 

 


Just got that book from the library, becke, and I'm really looking forward to reading it!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/jk-rowling-pseudonym-robert-galbraith_n_3592769.html

 

JK Rowling Pseudonym: Robert Galbraith's 'The Cuckoo's Calling' Is Actually By Harry Potter Author

 

The Cuckoo's Calling  

 

 

Oh, grrr, the gnomes are at it again! Just lost the sentence I wrote! Finally got that book from the library!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Overview

 

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

 

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

 

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

 

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

 

 

 

Publishers Weekly

 

 

 


Just got that book from the library, becke, and I'm really looking forward to reading it!


I got it, too!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Yay! My first day back to work, for the fall semester. Hope some students will come to the Writing Center for help on their papers, but am taking a book to read just in case it is slow. Can hardly believe my birthday is coming up next weekend!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


Fricka wrote:

Yay! My first day back to work, for the fall semester. Hope some students will come to the Writing Center for help on their papers, but am taking a book to read just in case it is slow. Can hardly believe my birthday is coming up next weekend!


Your birthday and my son's wedding - it's going to be an exciting weekend! Are you doing anything special for your birthday?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

How exciting. becke! Have you got your gown for your role as Mother of the Groom all ready to go? Be sure to take lots of pictures so you can share them here with us, please!

 

Can hardly believe it's September already! My birthday is on Tuesday, so I'll be working, but we are going to celebrate tomorrow at Outback Steakhouse. September is a busy month for my family as we have THREE family birthdays during the month--mine, then my niece's is one week to the day after that, and her mom, my sister-in-law, has hers on the 21st. And, as a mystery fan, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the grande dame herself, Agatha Christie, had a September birthday. Can't recall the exact date of her birthday at the moment, but think it falls around the 14th.

The main downer I have this year is that usually I attend the appearance of Louise Penny in Scottsdale with her latest book, on the first weekend in September(last year, her appearance was on my actual birthday!)  However, since my hours were cut drastically over the summer, and I didn't work at all during August, I am broke. So, I won't be going to the Louise Penny event. I do plan to buy the book, but I'm going to have to wait now until I get a paycheck or two under my belt.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

I'll say Happy Birthday now, Fricka. My son-in-law's is today. He will be 42. Have a great time tomorrow and I hope it is an enjoyable day for you.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!


Fricka wrote:

How exciting. becke! Have you got your gown for your role as Mother of the Groom all ready to go? Be sure to take lots of pictures so you can share them here with us, please!

 

Can hardly believe it's September already! My birthday is on Tuesday, so I'll be working, but we are going to celebrate tomorrow at Outback Steakhouse. September is a busy month for my family as we have THREE family birthdays during the month--mine, then my niece's is one week to the day after that, and her mom, my sister-in-law, has hers on the 21st. And, as a mystery fan, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the grande dame herself, Agatha Christie, had a September birthday. Can't recall the exact date of her birthday at the moment, but think it falls around the 14th.

The main downer I have this year is that usually I attend the appearance of Louise Penny in Scottsdale with her latest book, on the first weekend in September(last year, her appearance was on my actual birthday!)  However, since my hours were cut drastically over the summer, and I didn't work at all during August, I am broke. So, I won't be going to the Louise Penny event. I do plan to buy the book, but I'm going to have to wait now until I get a paycheck or two under my belt.


The wedding went off without a hitch - thankfully, even the weather cooperated. It was an outdoor wedding at 11 o'clock on Sunday morning, so my dress wasn't too fancy. I'll see if I can paste in some pictures:

 

 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Maxcat, hope your son-in-law enjoyed his birthday today.

Becke, love the pics! So glad to read the wedding went off without a hitch. Was that your daughter holding the bouquet of flowers(I'm guessing maybe she was the maid of honor? More details, please!)

Also was that Adaline in the Mickey Mouse glitter hat? Do I detect a THEME here--or more probably, maybe even a location? Like, was the wedding held at Disney World???? That sounds very cool!

Congratulations to the newly wedded couple!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

I did have a very enjoyable lunch with my family as we celebrated my birthday today. My grand- niece is apparently now very nearly three feet tall and my brother was telling my niece-in-law that once a child is around three, you can figure out how tall he or she is going to be by doubling that height. If this is true, my grand-niece is going to be at least six feet in height! We will have to wait and see if that prediction turns out to be true! She is getting to be really cute and quite a handful. She will blow kisses, wave her arms and rock out to music, say her grandmother's name, and so forth. Her favorite phrase right now is " Oh-oh!" like when she drops something on the floor. She also scowls when she is thinking hard about something, like when she is trying food and not sure whether she likes it or not. No major tantrums(Not today, anyway) thank goodness. My nephew and his wife have their work cut out for them, that's for sure!

Thanks to the wonderful waiter, I got not one, but TWO birthday desserts, on the house! I had Cheesecake with Chocolate Sauce and a dish of Vanilla Ice Cream atop a brownie with fudge sauce at the bottom, and whipped topping covering the ice cream. The waiter had even put a little candle on the ice cream dessert! I tried to share the desserts, but aside from my sister-in-law who tried a bite of the Cheesecake, and my parents helping with a few bites from the ice cream dessert, I was on my own in dealing with the desserts. I did manage to finish the ice cream dessert and took half of the cheesecake home in a to-go box. I think it will be a while before I am ready to face dessert again! All in all, a very nice meal and fellowship with my family today.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie