Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Fricka, Happy Birthday (tomorrow)!!!  Your luncheon sounded great, and TWO desserts!!!  Wow - they both sounded scrumptious!

Becke, the wedding photos are great!  I gave you some Likes on FB, since that is all I can do!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I did have a very enjoyable lunch with my family as we celebrated my birthday today. My grand- niece is apparently now very nearly three feet tall and my brother was telling my niece-in-law that once a child is around three, you can figure out how tall he or she is going to be by doubling that height. If this is true, my grand-niece is going to be at least six feet in height! We will have to wait and see if that prediction turns out to be true! She is getting to be really cute and quite a handful. She will blow kisses, wave her arms and rock out to music, say her grandmother's name, and so forth. Her favorite phrase right now is " Oh-oh!" like when she drops something on the floor. She also scowls when she is thinking hard about something, like when she is trying food and not sure whether she likes it or not. No major tantrums(Not today, anyway) thank goodness. My nephew and his wife have their work cut out for them, that's for sure!

Thanks to the wonderful waiter, I got not one, but TWO birthday desserts, on the house! I had Cheesecake with Chocolate Sauce and a dish of Vanilla Ice Cream atop a brownie with fudge sauce at the bottom, and whipped topping covering the ice cream. The waiter had even put a little candle on the ice cream dessert! I tried to share the desserts, but aside from my sister-in-law who tried a bite of the Cheesecake, and my parents helping with a few bites from the ice cream dessert, I was on my own in dealing with the desserts. I did manage to finish the ice cream dessert and took half of the cheesecake home in a to-go box. I think it will be a while before I am ready to face dessert again! All in all, a very nice meal and fellowship with my family today.

Happy Birthday, Fricka! (A bit late...)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Maxcat, hope your son-in-law enjoyed his birthday today.

Becke, love the pics! So glad to read the wedding went off without a hitch. Was that your daughter holding the bouquet of flowers(I'm guessing maybe she was the maid of honor? More details, please!)

Also was that Adaline in the Mickey Mouse glitter hat? Do I detect a THEME here--or more probably, maybe even a location? Like, was the wedding held at Disney World???? That sounds very cool!

Congratulations to the newly wedded couple!

My daughter was actually my son's "best man!" The bride's sister was her maid of honor - that was the whole wedding party. Well, the bride's 7-year-old sister was the flower girl, and Adaline was the ring bearer. Kim's two brothers were the "Baby Bearers" - they walked Adaline up to her parents and made sure the rings arrived safely!

Jessica got Jon and Kim the Mickey and Minnie bride and groom hats during our last visit to Disney World before she moved to Chicago. They wore the hats during the wedding rehearsal, but after that Adaline wanted to wear them!

The wedding was held in Tanner Springs Park in Portland, Oregon:

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?PropertyID=1273&action=ViewPark

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

What a beautiful place for a wedding! Becke, it's so great that your daughter was "best" um, woman, shall we say, while the bride's sister was HER attendant. From this pic, it looks as though it was a lovely sunny day, too. I will be looking forward to any other pictures you have to share with us!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Rats! I thought I had copied the wedding picture, but once again, it disappeared before the "real" post appeared.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What a beautiful place for a wedding! Becke, it's so great that your daughter was "best" um, woman, shall we say, while the bride's sister was HER attendant. From this pic, it looks as though it was a lovely sunny day, too. I will be looking forward to any other pictures you have to share with us!

We couldn't have asked for better weather! Kim (the bride) took the trolley back to our hotel - I hope someone got a picture of THAT!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery Scene header

Mystery Scene at Bouchercon 2013

Come see Mystery Scene at Bouchercon in Albany Sept. 20-22, 2013

Summer 2013, Issue #130

Greetings!

Fall is in the air and the Fall Issue #131 of Mystery Scene will soon be on its way to your mailbox. We're just putting the finishing touches on the issue, which includes an interview with British crime writer Mark Billingham, creator of Detective Inspector Tom Thorne, and an appreciation of Margaret Maron, whose long-running Judge Deborah Knott series (The Bootlegger's Daughter, etc.) offer a panoramic portrait of her beloved North Carolina.  

Readers of Elmore Leonard won't want to miss our look at the cultural import of this great writer's work. Plus Tom Nolan highlights five overlooked authors you should be reading right now and Kevin Burton Smith looks at the promising future of private-eye fiction. 

Bouchercon 2013, the biggest convention for crime fiction readers and writers, is happening in Albany, New York, Sept. 19-22. It's practically in our backyard, and we'll definitely be there. If you haven't registered but are interested in stopping by, walk-up day passes will be available for $80. More info at Bouchercon's FAQs page. Please stop by and say hello!  

Best,
Kate Stine
Editor in chief
becke_davis
0 Kudos

New favorites on TV - no link yet for BROADCHURCH, and I'm not sure this is the new series of FOYLE'S WAR::

Whitechapel: The Ripper Returns  

Endeavour  

Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavour Series 1  

Foyle's War: Set 7  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I haven't gotten into Endeavor.  I really prefer Lewis to Morse.  Have you been watching Silk?  I caught a few episodes.  All the intricacies of the British legal system kind of go right over my head, but I did enjoy them.  I just wish I understood it better.  On Monday nights, they are playing Midsomer Murders.  I guess they were done in two 1-hour parts each, but I think I had always seen them in 2-hour shows before, so I didn't bother with them at first, since I was afraid I might see one part and then miss the next, but then I set up a 'series recording' on the DVR, and watch when I have both parts recorded.  I've seen two that way so far.  I remembered the first one, because the main guest star (and victim) was Honor Blackman, who played Cathy Gale in The Avengers (Steed's partner before Mrs. Peel), and **bleep** Galore in Goldfinger.

Edit:  So funny that they censored that last bit!  Well, I imagine most people know what her name was!  I wonder what B&N do with book titles that have 'forbidden' words in them!  Blur the cover picture?  LOL!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I haven't gotten into Endeavor.  I really prefer Lewis to Morse.  Have you been watching Silk?  I caught a few episodes.  All the intricacies of the British legal system kind of go right over my head, but I did enjoy them.  I just wish I understood it better.  On Monday nights, they are playing Midsomer Murders.  I guess they were done in two 1-hour parts each, but I think I had always seen them in 2-hour shows before, so I didn't bother with them at first, since I was afraid I might see one part and then miss the next, but then I set up a 'series recording' on the DVR, and watch when I have both parts recorded.  I've seen two that way so far.  I remembered the first one, because the main guest star (and victim) was Honor Blackman, who played Cathy Gale in The Avengers (Steed's partner before Mrs. Peel), and **bleep** Galore in Goldfinger.

Edit:  So funny that they censored that last bit!  Well, I imagine most people know what her name was!  I wonder what B&N do with book titles that have 'forbidden' words in them!  Blur the cover picture?  LOL!

I like Lewis better than Morse, too, but I did like Endeavour. I hope there will be more episodes! I saw the first episode of Silk but it didn't hook me. We were in Portland and had a lot going on, so I might give it another shot. My current must-see shows, since Longmire finished for the season, are New Tricks and Broadchurch. My husband is hooked on Whitechapel - I like it, too. We're also watching the new season of Foyle's War.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks to Janet Rudolph for posting the 2013 Anthony Award Winners:

ANTHONY AWARDS 2013

The Anthony Awards were presented last night at Bouchercon, held this year in Albany, NY!

Best Novel: The Beautiful Mystery, by Louise Penny (Minotaur)

The Beautiful Mystery (Armand Gamache Series #8)  

Best First Novel: The Expats, by Chris Pavone (Crown)

The Expats  

Best Paperback Original: Big Maria, by Johnny Shaw (Thomas & Mercer)

Big Maria  

Best Short Story: “Mischief in Mesopotamia,” by Dana Cameron (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, November 2012)

Best Critical Non-fiction Work: Books to Die For: The World’s Greatest Mystery Writers on the World’s Greatest Mystery Novels, edited by John Connolly and Declan Burke (Atria/Emily Bestler)

Books to Die For  

Lifetime Achievement Award: Sue Grafton

W Is for Wasted (Kinsey Millhone Series #23)  

The David Thompson Special Services Award: Marv Lachman

- See more at: http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/2013/09/anthony-awards-2013.html#sthash.DPdp6FFw.dpuf

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can't seem to post videos anymore, but here's a link for Louise Penny fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2DvLxUPpk

becke_davis
0 Kudos

We take a look at Margaret Maron's atmospheric North Carolina novels in the new Fall Issue #131. 

Greetings!

Mystery Scene's Fall Issue #131 is out now and it's a honey!

Mark Billingham is already one of the big guns of crime fiction in the UK, and his Tom Thorne novels are increasingly popular here. In this issue, Oline Cogdill has a revealing conversation with the former comedian and actor in which he describes his own terrifying experience as a crime victim.

Michael Mallory discusses French writers Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac, or Boileau-Narcejac as they were known. Alfred Hitchcockwas a big fan, and he based the classic film Vertigo on their novel D'entre les morts. There isn't much critical writing in English about this interesting duo; I learned something and so will you. 

Tom Nolan would like to bring to your attention "Hidden Gems: 5 Writers You Should Be Reading." The future of the private-eye novel is bright, according to Kevin Burton Smith. He offers three outstanding new writers - Sara GranIngrid Thoft, and Laura Brackmann - as proof. Case made!

Whether or not you've read her marvelously evocative Judge Deborah Knott novels set in North Carolina - and, if not, by all means do -Margaret Maron has improved your reading life. She was one of the guiding forces behind Sisters in Crime, an organization that strives to, as she puts it, "make things better for our sister writers and strengthen the field for our sister readers." (And I can attest that SinC also helped make things better for sister editors in the publishing industry.) She's one of my personal heroes, and Art Taylor, a fellow North Carolinian, offers a tribute to her work in. 

Sadly, Barbara Mertz, another of my personal heroes, passed away on August 8. I started reading Barbara's books - under her Barbara Michaels and Elizabeth Peters pseudonyms - at the age of 13, and I can honestly say I wouldn't be here at Mystery Scene today without them.

Other sad losses in recent months include Leighton Gage, author of the excellent Chief Inspector Mario Silva novels, Vince Flynn, author of propulsive political thrillers, Tom Clancy, master of the techno-thriller, and "mystery of manners" great Robert Barnard. And, as has been widely reported, Elmore Leonard died on August 20. Laura Miller offers her assessment of Leonard's influence on the general culture at large in the fall issue. 

If you're not a subscriber to our print issue, several of these articles will be appearing at our website in the future. But why not treat yourself andsubscribeBack issues are also available. 

As always, this At the Scene E-News offers a number of online original articles. Check out our website for more!

Best,
Kate Stine
Editor in chief

Mystery Scene header
CONTENTS
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

One of the challenges of living with older parents is the health issue. In our case, it seems as though it's not one thing but two or three that crop up at the same time. Dad and I spent most of the summer months getting Mom to several dentists after the one who had been our regular apparently caused nerve pain after removing a gold crown and getting the tooth ready for a new cover. Instead, that tooth developed an abscess, and we had the jolly experience of carting Mom to several Endodontists before getting her to one who declared the tooth was mobile and had pockets in the gum around it( Since I was sitting in a chair next to Mom at the time, he let me have a look at her tooth, and I got to see the abscess, the tooth moving, AND the bloody pockets). Finally we found a dentist who would do the extraction, and got THAT tooth taken care of. Got through the month of September without any further problems.

Now, however, we've found that Mom has cataracts(she was complainining about blurry vision, so Dad took her to our PCP physician, who sent her to an Opthamologist). Now she is scheduled to have Cataract Surgery in November. In the meantime, her old hernia (developed after Gall Bladder surgersy decades ago)has started pooching out more and bothering her, so it looks as though she may have to have surgery for that, too--not sure for sure if she will be a good candidate for surgery but if the PCP OKs it, we will probably be vetting surgeons for that soon. On top of that, she started complaining about having ringing in the ears and racing heartbeat after taking an Allegra tablet for allergies one night. Of course, she woke me up from a sound sleep to tell me all about it!  There wasn't much I could do for her except tell her NOT to take an allergy pill late at night in the future, and she's decided not to take Allegra any more.  She's also been having wheezing spells in the morning. Her PCP had said that her lungs were clear this past time that Mom saw her, so I am thinking it might be something in her bronchials that's causing the wheezing. It seems to clear up in the afternoon after she gets to moving around a bit more, so I'm thankful for that. Of course, it could also be her hernia pressing on her lungs, so that's a concern too.

On top of that, my work schedule has changed, so I am now leaving for work earlier in the day, so I don't have the time to get on the forum here as early as I am used to, and when I get home, all I want to do is get something to eat and take a nap! I will try to catch up with posts on weekends as much as possible.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

One of the challenges of living with older parents is the health issue. In our case, it seems as though it's not one thing but two or three that crop up at the same time. Dad and I spent most of the summer months getting Mom to several dentists after the one who had been our regular apparently caused nerve pain after removing a gold crown and getting the tooth ready for a new cover. Instead, that tooth developed an abscess, and we had the jolly experience of carting Mom to several Endodontists before getting her to one who declared the tooth was mobile and had pockets in the gum around it( Since I was sitting in a chair next to Mom at the time, he let me have a look at her tooth, and I got to see the abscess, the tooth moving, AND the bloody pockets). Finally we found a dentist who would do the extraction, and got THAT tooth taken care of. Got through the month of September without any further problems.

Now, however, we've found that Mom has cataracts(she was complainining about blurry vision, so Dad took her to our PCP physician, who sent her to an Opthamologist). Now she is scheduled to have Cataract Surgery in November. In the meantime, her old hernia (developed after Gall Bladder surgersy decades ago)has started pooching out more and bothering her, so it looks as though she may have to have surgery for that, too--not sure for sure if she will be a good candidate for surgery but if the PCP OKs it, we will probably be vetting surgeons for that soon. On top of that, she started complaining about having ringing in the ears and racing heartbeat after taking an Allegra tablet for allergies one night. Of course, she woke me up from a sound sleep to tell me all about it!  There wasn't much I could do for her except tell her NOT to take an allergy pill late at night in the future, and she's decided not to take Allegra any more.  She's also been having wheezing spells in the morning. Her PCP had said that her lungs were clear this past time that Mom saw her, so I am thinking it might be something in her bronchials that's causing the wheezing. It seems to clear up in the afternoon after she gets to moving around a bit more, so I'm thankful for that. Of course, it could also be her hernia pressing on her lungs, so that's a concern too.

On top of that, my work schedule has changed, so I am now leaving for work earlier in the day, so I don't have the time to get on the forum here as early as I am used to, and when I get home, all I want to do is get something to eat and take a nap! I will try to catch up with posts on weekends as much as possible.

Whew! Sounds like you need a vacation AND a nap!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

It's been rather hectic in our household the last couple of days. Thursday(Yesterday), after work, I went with my Mom and Dad to a Dr's appointment for my Mom, with a heart specialist. It turns out Mom's wheezing and also her foot swelling has been caused by an irregular heart beat. She had an EKG in the Dr's office yesterday, and he was concerned to learn that Mom has not been taking her potassium pills. Turns out she is supposed to take them WITH her Furosimide tablets. He explained to her(and me) that without the Potassium, the body does not really get the benefit of the other medicine. He told her without that medicine, she could have a stroke.

Today, we were back at the same office so Mom could have an Ultrasound taken of her heart. Now she has an appointment for Tuesday and I guess we will find out then what the results of her ultrasound were. I am  hoping that Mom will remember to take those meds together. I think the specialist rather put the fear of God into her when he told her she could have a stroke. I'm hoping that will be enough to help her remember to take her Potassium AND Furosimide tabs together. Just hope the results of the ultrasound aren't too bad!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

It's been rather hectic in our household the last couple of days. Thursday(Yesterday), after work, I went with my Mom and Dad to a Dr's appointment for my Mom, with a heart specialist. It turns out Mom's wheezing and also her foot swelling has been caused by an irregular heart beat. She had an EKG in the Dr's office yesterday, and he was concerned to learn that Mom has not been taking her potassium pills. Turns out she is supposed to take them WITH her Furosimide tablets. He explained to her(and me) that without the Potassium, the body does not really get the benefit of the other medicine. He told her without that medicine, she could have a stroke.

Today, we were back at the same office so Mom could have an Ultrasound taken of her heart. Now she has an appointment for Tuesday and I guess we will find out then what the results of her ultrasound were. I am  hoping that Mom will remember to take those meds together. I think the specialist rather put the fear of God into her when he told her she could have a stroke. I'm hoping that will be enough to help her remember to take her Potassium AND Furosimide tabs together. Just hope the results of the ultrasound aren't too bad!

You've had a rough time lately - I hope next week is easier on you AND your family!