Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]

I've read a couple of the books Gross wrote with Patterson, and I liked those, too.

 

I started a thread for another great author, Michael Connelly, and jump-started the Laurie R. King thread. Another of my favorite mystery authors is Laura Lippman.  And Robert B. Parker. And Tony Hillerman. And Nevada Barr. And Deborah Crombie. And Ruth Rendell. And Martha Grimes. And Josephine Tey. Okay, this could go on for awhile!


Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-14-2009 10:31 AM
Contributor
Ann_Gilla
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

These books look GREAT! I will be picking up one of them for sure.  Becke, it's funny that you would mention Dunne's novel, An Inconvient Woman, because yesterday a woman that I work with suggested it as well.  Isn't that ironic?  The Andrew Gross novel's look really interesting too.  Ladies, you definitely helped point me in the right direction.  As soon as I hit the bookstore I will let you know which one I decided to dive into.  Thanks again for being so helpful.  I'll be keeping you posted!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Happy to help, Ann!

 

When you come back with your new book(s), feel free to start a new thread to talk about the author. Anyone can create a thread (subject header) -- not just the moderator.

Contributor
Ann_Gilla
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

will do :smileyhappy:
New User
Johnny_Bleys
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hello Everyone:-) My name is Ronnie.I live and work in Philly.I'm into mysteries.Mostly Walter Mosley and Andrew Vachss.I see a few titles here than I intend to look into:-)
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Johnny! Welcome to the Mystery Book Club! Let us know when you read a mystery you enjoy -- it's always fun to find out what others are reading.
Contributor
lingling-cat
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎08-16-2009

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi , I'm using the name lingling-cat and I'm an unpublished poet but I have been reading for years.  I also read Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, & the Hardy Boys mysteries then I went on to Phyllis Whitney, Agatha Chrristie, Dashiell  Hammmett, Ellery Queen, and then into science fiction or fantasy with Merecedes Lackey & Andre Norton and then back to mystery with Margaret Truman, Rita Brown, Lilian Jackson Braun, James Patterson, .....and so the the list goes on.

 

I love to read everything- mysteries, science fiction, science fantasy, thrillers, romances, and nonfiction so right now it would be hard name a favorite author but I just picked up a book by an author that apparently has started an new series - Cleo Coyle.  Is anyone else reading her ?

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi, I am Luanne. I have just picked up one of the selections this month. I

have been reading posts here and checking out what everyone is reading for awhile.

That is definitely my cup of tea and books on the table in one of the pictures in your introduction.

I also belong to a in-person Barnes and Noble mystery book club.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!


lingling-cat wrote:

Hi , I'm using the name lingling-cat and I'm an unpublished poet but I have been reading for years.  I also read Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, & the Hardy Boys mysteries then I went on to Phyllis Whitney, Agatha Chrristie, Dashiell  Hammmett, Ellery Queen, and then into science fiction or fantasy with Merecedes Lackey & Andre Norton and then back to mystery with Margaret Truman, Rita Brown, Lilian Jackson Braun, James Patterson, .....and so the the list goes on.

 

I love to read everything- mysteries, science fiction, science fantasy, thrillers, romances, and nonfiction so right now it would be hard name a favorite author but I just picked up a book by an author that apparently has started an new series - Cleo Coyle.  Is anyone else reading her ?


Hi lingling cat -- what an intriguing name! It looks as if we read a lot of the same books growing up, although at that point I wasn't reading a lot of science fiction: Madeleine l'Engle, Robert Heinlein, Anthony Burgess, Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov. Hmmm. I guess I read more sci fi than I thought!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!


pen21 wrote:

Hi, I am Luanne. I have just picked up one of the selections this month. I

have been reading posts here and checking out what everyone is reading for awhile.

That is definitely my cup of tea and books on the table in one of the pictures in your introduction.

I also belong to a in-person Barnes and Noble mystery book club.


Hi Luanna! How exciting that you belong to an in-person B&N Mystery Book Club -- since they have WiFi in the stores, you all should sign in when you're together and talk to us live sometime. Let me know the date and time and I'll make sure I'm here when you are.
 I forgot to ask you and Johnny and lingling cat where you would like to be in the virtual Mystery Book Club I described at the start of this thread. What is your ideal place to read? Remember, we're in a virtual world here, so if you dream it, it's yours! 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

My place would be in the TV room. It would be through a door to a room with a nice view outside, preferable of a dock on a lake. I like some background noise while I read (a bad habit). The small picture at the beginning of your first post would be the endtable at the side of a comfortable couch. It has the tea and several books being read. But it also would need some Sudoku books. My Standard Poodle and Japanese Chin would be sitting on the couch with me or nearby on the floor. Come on in.

Luanne

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

 I will talk to the moderator and let you know. Sounds like fun.

 


becke_davis wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Hi, I am Luanne. I have just picked up one of the selections this month. I

have been reading posts here and checking out what everyone is reading for awhile.

That is definitely my cup of tea and books on the table in one of the pictures in your introduction.

I also belong to a in-person Barnes and Noble mystery book club.


Hi Luanna! How exciting that you belong to an in-person B&N Mystery Book Club -- since they have WiFi in the stores, you all should sign in when you're together and talk to us live sometime. Let me know the date and time and I'll make sure I'm here when you are.

 

 

Contributor
lingling-cat
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎08-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Luanne,

 

I'm glad you liked my selections . I 'm also interested in what others are reading.  What are some  of your favorite authors ? What are you reading now ?

 

  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

 

There are so many authors. Here are a few of the newest ones I have found.

 

Today I am reading. Very good, I will pick up another by this author.

Asking for Murder 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I really like Lisa See's books. She has a series of mysteries. The first one Flower Net is very good. I will be reading the rest.

Flower Net (Liu Hulan Series #1) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Since I love Sudoku puzzles. This series is lots of fun. Here is the latest in the series.

Killer Sudoku 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have always like Agatha Christie and Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. The first mysteries that got me started. But there are so many authors. I joined here to be exposed to more authors and more opinions. That is also why I belong to an in-person mystery book club at Barnes and Noble. Have fun picking books to read!

Luanne


lingling-cat wrote:

Hi Luanne,

 

I'm glad you liked my selections . I 'm also interested in what others are reading.  What are some  of your favorite authors ? What are you reading now ?

 

  

 


 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Oh, thanks for telling me about the Killer Sudoku book. I just did a search and found a few more. My mom, my aunt and I are all big on sudokus -- I'm going to have to read these!

 

Serial Killer Sudoku   Sudoku Puzzle Murders   Dead Man's Puzzle   Murder by Numbers   Sudoku Murder   Death by Sudoku   Sudden Death Sudoku  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Wow, thank you! I will put those in my list. It's good to have a blend of something you are familiar with (like Sudoku, puzzles, or a hobby,etc) mixed into a book. Thanks for the tip.


becke_davis wrote:

Oh, thanks for telling me about the Killer Sudoku book. I just did a search and found a few more. My mom, my aunt and I are all big on sudokus -- I'm going to have to read these!

 

Serial Killer Sudoku  Sudoku Puzzle Murders  Dead Man's Puzzle  Murder by Numbers  Sudoku Murder  Death by Sudoku  Sudden Death Sudoku  

 


 

 

New User
johndesjarlais
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-18-2009

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hello, everyone:

I'm a community college English professor, and one of my courses is Detective Fiction. It is offered online once a year, so I get to re-read some great classics many times (such as The Maltese Falcon), a real pleasure. I'm a member of Mystery Writers of America; my latest novel is BLEEDER, just released August 15. I'm glad to see that you host authors now and then in the forum, and I look forward to interacting with other mystery writers and readers. It might take me a little while to find my way around here...

 

Cordially,

John

Investigate Higher Mysteries
www.johndesjarlais.com

BLEEDER: a mystery
Sophia Institute Press
A miracle? Or bloody murder?
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Mystery Book Club, John! It can be confusing at first, but there will be some changes here soon that we hope will make it easier to navigate these boards.

 

Congratulations on the release of your book! It doesn't seem to be available through BN.com yet. If it becomes available, let us know!

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-18-2009 02:36 PM
New User
sierrastrike
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hey ya'll! I'm Missy and this looked to be a warm and inviting place and thought I would pop in and say hello. I also like mystery and true crime. James Patterson, Micheal Connelly, Dean Koontz, and recently I started the series "In Death", J.D. Robb. Love the characters. I love series, I hate when you finish a book and just don't know where they go from there. Got any suggestions for a really good series to follow?
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,675
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!


sierrastrike wrote:
Hey ya'll! I'm Missy and this looked to be a warm and inviting place and thought I would pop in and say hello. I also like mystery and true crime. James Patterson, Micheal Connelly, Dean Koontz, and recently I started the series "In Death", J.D. Robb. Love the characters. I love series, I hate when you finish a book and just don't know where they go from there. Got any suggestions for a really good series to follow?
Hi and welcome to the Mystery Book Club! Boy, it's hard to pick. Have you read Tony Hillerman, Robert B. Parker, Faye Kellerman, Lee Child, David Baldacci, Harlan Coben, Greg Iles, Louise Penny, Deborah Crombie, Charles Todd, Ian Rankin, Dick Francis, Peter Robinson, P.D. James, Ruth Rendell, Martha Grimes, Elizabeth George, Lisa Unger, Karen Rose, Laurie L. King, Laura Lippman -- I could go on!
Scroll through our monthly featured authors, too -- Jeanne Adams and Roberta Isleib this month, Hank Phillippi Ryan and Annette Blair next month, Wendy Corsi Staub, John Connolly, Marshall Karp, Rosemary Harris and many other great authors have been featured here.