Author
VictoriaJanssen
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

I'm a big fan of classic detective series (Sayers, Marsh, Allingham, Stout, P.D. James, Dell Shannon) and right now am very slowly rereading Raymond Chandler.  I'd really love to see another mystery by Sarah Smith, and hope to read the new Laurie King fairly soon.

In the last few years I've really gotten into historical mysteries via Kate Ross's books.  My current favorite is C.S. Harris, though I also love Lindsey Davis and recently enjoyed Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin.

MOONLIGHT MISTRESS, December 2009 from Harlequin Spice
THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM AND THEIR LOVER, Harlequin Spice.
www.victoriajanssen.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

VictoriaJanssen wrote:

I'm a big fan of classic detective series (Sayers, Marsh, Allingham, Stout, P.D. James, Dell Shannon) and right now am very slowly rereading Raymond Chandler.  I'd really love to see another mystery by Sarah Smith, and hope to read the new Laurie King fairly soon.

In the last few years I've really gotten into historical mysteries via Kate Ross's books.  My current favorite is C.S. Harris, though I also love Lindsey Davis and recently enjoyed Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin.

We share a lot of the same taste in books! I love Sarah Smith's books, and what I've read of the Laurie R. King series (I have a long way to go). Thanks for the recommendation - I'm not familiar with some of those authors.
What Angels Fear   When Gods Die   Why Mermaids Sing   Where Serpents Sleep   Grave Goods   Mistress of the Art of Death   The Serpent's Tale   City of Shadows   A Broken Vessel (A Julian Kestrel Mystery)   Cut to the Quick (A Julian Kestrel Mystery)   Cut to the Quick (A Julian Kestrel Mystery)   Whom the Gods Love (A Julian Kestrel Mystery)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos
Author
VictoriaJanssen
0 Kudos

The C.S. Harris books remind me of the late, lamented Kate Ross' Julian Kestrel mysteries, though they're a touch darker.  And like Lindsey Davis, the trials and tribulations of the hero's romantic life weaves in and out.
MOONLIGHT MISTRESS, December 2009 from Harlequin Spice
THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM AND THEIR LOVER, Harlequin Spice.
www.victoriajanssen.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

VictoriaJanssen wrote:
The C.S. Harris books remind me of the late, lamented Kate Ross' Julian Kestrel mysteries, though they're a touch darker.  And like Lindsey Davis, the trials and tribulations of the hero's romantic life weaves in and out.
I didn't think I'd read the Kate Ross books, but Julian Kestrel sounds really familiar.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Liz Denton and I reside in Houston, TX.  I have a daughter in college and I have gone back to college myself to get my paralegal degree.  I love mysteries, fiction, historical fiction and the like.  I love to read.  Some of the authors I have grown fond of are Colin Cotterill, Christopher Fowler, Donna Leon and Cara Black to name a few.

I just finished Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks and I read her other one, People of the book.  I am currently reading Death with Interruptions by Jose Saramago.  Any suggestions on new authors?

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Girl Who Played with Fire Welcome to the Mystery Book Club! Well, in addition to our featured authors, a lot of people are recommending this series:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Thank you... I will look into that series.  My husband read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have you read anything by Deborah Crombie or Charles Todd? Or Lisa Unger? Or Tana French? There are so many interesting authors out there, it's hard to come up with a short list!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

tree_lover wrote:

Thank you... I will look into that series.  My husband read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 

Hi tree lover,

Welcome to the club, The Girl who Played with Fire, to me anyway was a quicker to get into story. You knew all the characters and all the circumstances also and he just starts throwing information at you right from the beginning, It was an great book.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

You have me convinced.  I will definitely have to read it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

tree_lover wrote:

You have me convinced.  I will definitely have to read it.

There's a "What are you reading now?" thread here. Anytime you read a good mystery, we'd love to hear about it! That thread is one place to tell us about it, or you can do a search to see if there is an existing thread about the book. If not, you can always start a new discussion thread!

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I haven't read any of those.  I will have to look them up and see what peaks my interest.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I will look into that as well.

Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

Hi im hope im new to the mystery book club im reading John Grisham The associate i just start reading abut 5yrs.

thank you im not author i love books my sis has got me reading vampir book and i like these books i have over 200books i have not read yet  all kind

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Associate 
ilovebooksOH wrote:

Hi im hope im new to the mystery book club im reading John Grisham The associate i just start reading abut 5yrs.

thank you im not author i love books my sis has got me reading vampir book and i like these books i have over 200books i have not read yet  all kind

Welcome to the Mystery Book Club! THE ASSOCIATE is a great book. My favorite John Grisham book is the Street Lawyer:

The Street Lawyer

Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

Thank you i do not have this one ill grt it and read as soon as i can i have alot of John Grisham but not this one so than you if you know any good books to read i like Carol Higgins Clark, Mary Higgins Clark, Mary Jane Clark, Kay Hooper, Bently Little, 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Perfect Liar

The Perfect Couple

Stop Me

Watch Me (Last Stand Trilogy Series #3) Ooh, I've read a lot of Kay Hooper's books. Have you read anything by Brenda Novak? I'm reading several of hers right now.

Trust Me

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Also, check out the books by our featured authors -- Jeanne Adams and Roberta Isleib last month, and Hank Phillippi Ryan and Annette Blair this month. Go to their "threads" -- discussion groups -- to find out more about their books.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I read mostly all of Mary Higgins Clark's books.  I think her older books are much better.  She seems to have softened a little after she got married.  To me they don't have the same punch.  I haven't gotten into her daughters books.  I heard they were really good.  Happy reading.