Frequent Contributor
tree_lover

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

If you love vampire books you will love The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.  It is a big book but it is a great story.  I hope you enjoy it if you decide to pick it up.

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

tree_lover wrote:

I read mostly all of Mary Higgins Clark's books.  I think her older books are much better.  She seems to have softened a little after she got married.  To me they don't have the same punch.  I haven't gotten into her daughters books.  I heard they were really good.  Happy reading.

It's in my waiting-to-be-read pile!

Historian

Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

I dont know how the thread work . any one know how this works thank you for the books to read

Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

thank you tree-lover for the book to read iv read stphene meyer books a relly good read i just stated reading vampire books

becke_davis
0 Kudos

IlovebooksOH - you're doing great! We call these conversation topics "threads." When you click on Mystery Book Club, you can see the different things we're talking about. Just click on any of them to read the comments and join in! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

tree_lover wrote:

I read mostly all of Mary Higgins Clark's books.  I think her older books are much better.  She seems to have softened a little after she got married.  To me they don't have the same punch.  I haven't gotten into her daughters books.  I heard they were really good.  Happy reading.

It's in my waiting-to-be-read pile!

Historian

Becke I can't believe you haven't read this yet. You will love it, although it's incredibly long and does tend to get wordy sometimes, but the storytelling and the dialogue are wonderful and plot, well who doesn't like the history of Vlad Dracula.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I haven't read these books yet but they are also about vampires.  A couple of my friends recommended them to me.  If you like Stephanie Meyers, these books are supposed to be better.  The first book in the series is called:

"Marked" by Kristin Cast

I have this one in my TBR pile as well.

I did read the Twilight series.  I read them while I was taking 3 classes and working.  They were a quick read and took my mind off things for a while.

Happy reading...

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

It is long, but it is a wonderful book.  I was sorry that the author hadn't written anything since then.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I'm new to this as well but I think you are doing fine.

dhaupt

tree_lover wrote:

It is long, but it is a wonderful book.  I was sorry that the author hadn't written anything since then.

She has a new one coming out in Jan

The Swan Thieves 

I can't wait

New User
EleanorAndrews
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As a child, Mary C. Jane hooked me with MYSTERY BACK OF THE MOUNTAIN.   Though my tastes have become more inclusive and now include romantic suspense, I've never left the mystery genre. 

Not only do I read the genre, I'm a writer.  You will find a book in my hand or my fingers on a keyboard everyday.

Eleanor Andrews

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EleanorAndrews wrote:

As a child, Mary C. Jane hooked me with MYSTERY BACK OF THE MOUNTAIN.   Though my tastes have become more inclusive and now include romantic suspense, I've never left the mystery genre. 

Not only do I read the genre, I'm a writer.  You will find a book in my hand or my fingers on a keyboard everyday.

Eleanor Andrews

Hi Eleanor - welcome to the Mystery Book Club! I wasn't able to find the book you mentioned,or I would have posted a link.

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

tree_lover wrote:

She has a new one coming out in Jan

The Swan Thieves 

I can't wait

Thanks for the info on the new book. I loved The Historian

New User
EleanorAndrews
0 Kudos

Mystery Back of The Mountain by Mary C. Jane was a Scholastic book published in 1967. She had more than just a few.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EleanorAndrews wrote:

Mystery Back of The Mountain by Mary C. Jane was a Scholastic book published in 1967. She had more than just a few.

It must be out of print. I wonder if ebooks will make these old books available again -- so many of the books I enjoyed when I was younger are no longer available.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Wow...thanks for letting me know.  I will have to reserve my copy of it.

liz

New User
ScrappyKay
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm an avid reader, and discovered the B&N book clubs this morning - so this is my first post.  I've always enjoyed mysteries, too - also starting with Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie!  I'm pretty much a "cozy" reader, although sometimes I read mysteries that are a bit more hard-core and/or more espionage than mystery.  I'm currently reading several series, including Joanne Fluke's "Hannah Swenson" series, the "Mrs. Pollifax" series by Dorothy Gilman, the "Presidential Agent" series by W.E.B. Griffin, and the "Pennsylvania Dutch" series by Tamar Myers.  I guess I'm mostly a series reader - I've enjoyed two series by Deb Baker ("Yooper" and "Dolls to Die For") and I've got my eye on quilting and needlework series by Earlene Fowler and Monica Ferris.  There are so many intriguing authors out there that sometimes it's hard to know where to start!  So I'm really looking forward to digging in to some of the discussions in this group.

On a personal note, I'm just one week away from becoming a semi-centenarian.  I'm married to a wonderful guy (who doesn't read much) and a elementary-aged son who seems to be taking after his mom a little bit.  He enjoys reading "Geronimo Stilton" and "Scooby Doo" books as well as many others, and seems to enjoy a good mystery.

Scrappy Kay
becke_davis

Nate the Great, San Francisco Detective 
ScrappyKay wrote:

Hi!  I'm an avid reader, and discovered the B&N book clubs this morning - so this is my first post.  I've always enjoyed mysteries, too - also starting with Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie!  I'm pretty much a "cozy" reader, although sometimes I read mysteries that are a bit more hard-core and/or more espionage than mystery.  I'm currently reading several series, including Joanne Fluke's "Hannah Swenson" series, the "Mrs. Pollifax" series by Dorothy Gilman, the "Presidential Agent" series by W.E.B. Griffin, and the "Pennsylvania Dutch" series by Tamar Myers.  I guess I'm mostly a series reader - I've enjoyed two series by Deb Baker ("Yooper" and "Dolls to Die For") and I've got my eye on quilting and needlework series by Earlene Fowler and Monica Ferris.  There are so many intriguing authors out there that sometimes it's hard to know where to start!  So I'm really looking forward to digging in to some of the discussions in this group.

On a personal note, I'm just one week away from becoming a semi-centenarian.  I'm married to a wonderful guy (who doesn't read much) and a elementary-aged son who seems to be taking after his mom a little bit.  He enjoys reading "Geronimo Stilton" and "Scooby Doo" books as well as many others, and seems to enjoy a good mystery.

Hi Scrappy Kay, and welcome to the Mystery Book Club! My son was a mystery lover when he was a kid, too. He loved the Nate the Great stories and the Alastair books (I don't  know why the book links are showing up all over the place - sorry about that!)

Nate the Great (Nate the Great Series)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax Series #2) 
ScrappyKay wrote:

Hi ScrappyKay! I'm also a Mrs. Pollifax fan. Did you know she wrote other mysteries, too? You've listed some great authors -- I hope we can introduce you to others, too!

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax Series #1)

New User
debstar
0 Kudos

I loved the Historian also , what a great story!!!