becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

debstar wrote:

I loved the Historian also , what a great story!!!

I'm working  my way through her book list!

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I am so happy to hear that you loved the Historian.  Her next book comes out in January and I can't wait.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
New User
ScrappyKay
0 Kudos

Becke, thanks for the Alistair and Nate recommendations.  I'll look into those!

Scrappy Kay
becke_davis

Just put together a website, since a couple people have asked for my contact information, etc. Right now there is a sort of holding pattern at my domain, www.beckedavis.com. The website can be viewed here right now: http://site.beckedavis.com/

but within a day or two it should replace the holding pattern. Assuming I set it up right, that is.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ah Becke, even more ways to track you, my dear :smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Ah Becke, even more ways to track you, my dear :smileyvery-happy:

Assuming I ever get the website right. I did something wrong, and it still isn't at the right address. Oh well.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Cool!  i will have to check out your website when i have a "quiet" moment.

liz

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's still at the "site" address. I did something wrong filing the IP address and I'm still trying to get that corrected. My tech skills only go so far, unfortunately.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well Becke just remember, you can't set up your site with a thriller in one hand and a hot romance novel in the other and think everything will go smoothly. So step away from the books and re-do.

:smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm waiting for the nice people at GoDaddy to tell me how to fix the website glitch. No "Jon" there to solve my problems, unfortunately.

New User
cathmurphy

Hello all - just discovered this forum and it looks like a great way to get recommendations for new reads.

I'm a Brit, living in Norway (of all places). Three kids, two still at home and a house full of various pets to keep me busy. Horses also. I write when I have a spare moment. Guess what genre? Mysteries of course.

When I'm not writing, I love to read: all and everything, but especially something with a really good plot twist to keep me guessing. I like a little (or maybe even a big) touch of the supernatural to spice things up. Recent books I enjoyed include "The Ghost Orchid" by Carol Goodman, "Child 44" by Tom Rob Smith, "The House of Lost Souls" by FG Cottam and "The Seance" by John Harwood.

Any recommendations for mysteries with a spooky element? Something a little cerebral preferably (got to keep the brain cells working)

Cath

dhaupt
0 Kudos

cathmurphy wrote:

Hello all - just discovered this forum and it looks like a great way to get recommendations for new reads.

I'm a Brit, living in Norway (of all places). Three kids, two still at home and a house full of various pets to keep me busy. Horses also. I write when I have a spare moment. Guess what genre? Mysteries of course.

When I'm not writing, I love to read: all and everything, but especially something with a really good plot twist to keep me guessing. I like a little (or maybe even a big) touch of the supernatural to spice things up. Recent books I enjoyed include "The Ghost Orchid" by Carol Goodman, "Child 44" by Tom Rob Smith, "The House of Lost Souls" by FG Cottam and "The Seance" by John Harwood.

Any recommendations for mysteries with a spooky element? Something a little cerebral preferably (got to keep the brain cells working)

Cath

Hi Cath and welcome, Norway huh, well to this US midwesterner that sounds pretty exciting. I'm sure our moderator Becke will welcome you properly when she see your post but let me be the first.

And as far as a recommendation, I just read a great Eco-Thriller written by Mark Nykanen called Primitive. Here's a link to my review on it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Primitive/Mark-Nykanen/e/9780982175644/?itm=1&usri=primitive+by+mar...

Good reading!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Harrowing 
cathmurphy wrote:

Cath

Hi Cath, and welcome to the board! When I lived in England years ago, I worked with a woman who was half English, half Norwegian. She went to Norway a lot and just raved about how gorgeous it is.

Here are some pretty scary/spooky suggestions for you:

Unseen

Frequent Contributor
Leighton-Gage
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Fellow Mystery Lovers,

I'm Leighton Gage, and I write police procedurals set in Brazil. But today I'm not here to talk about myself. I'm here to talk about my friends and fellow mystery authors Yrsa Sigurdardottir, Michael Stanley, Cara Black and Stewart Neville. All of us are specialized in mysteries set outside the United States. And all of us just did panels at Bouchercon. Now were coming together electronically to do a live webcast. It's scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday, at 12:30 PM Eastern Time. But you don't have to shed bitter tears if you're otherwise occupied because it will be archived for a month and you can listen to it any time and also download it to Itunes. The thing about live, though, is that you can call or text in with your questions and we'll put you right there on the air with us. And, if you join blogtalkradio.com ahead of time (it's free) you can use their chat and push to talk features. Please check it out at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Leighton-Gage

Blood of the Wicked 

Buried Strangers

Dying Gasp

Leighton Gage
Crime Novels set in Brazil
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Leighton! I'm so sorry I missed your panel at Bouchercon -- I would have liked to attend ALL of them, but you know how that goes. Thanks for telling us about this!

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Gage and welcome to Barnes and Noble book club.  My husband is a fan of your books.  He has them now in my TBR pile.  I am also a fan and have read Cara Black's books.  The other authors I will have to look up.  I hope to get in on the discussion.  I am out of town right now but this is exciting news.  Thank you.

liz Denton

New User
JKChristian

Hi Becke,

I am a new kid on the block.  I love curling up with a good book, especially if it's stormy outside.  I am a big Mary Higgins Clark fan.  I am currently readiing, "I Heard That Song Before".  I have always loved murder mysteries.  Hello to everyone, and hopefully I will make some new friends! 

Jan

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome, JK! Check out all the different threads to see what others are reading and talking about. We're happy to have you join us!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi JK welcome, come sit by the fire, enjoy a cup of tea and read your favorite story.

New User
cinecritter
0 Kudos

I mostly read hardboiled - I'm currently rereading all of the Richard Stark PARKER novels - but love anything mystery from John Dickson Carr to Rex Stout to Chandler and Hammett and Carrol John Daly. Oh, and writers who are still alive like Michael Connolly and Jan Burke and Robert Crais and... well, too many to list.

I am a professional screenwriter and most of my scripts have some mystery element - though are usually given a mysterectomy in rewrites (producers and directors always say audiences will have problems following the clues, but I think *they* have trouble following the clues and don't want to look stupid).

My introduction to mysteries was probably those Hitchcock Three Investigator books.

- Bill