Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Debbie is more knowledgeable than I am on this subject - it's my first time with a First Look book.

Thanks for providing the link to the appropriate book club/thread, Debbie! I know how confusing it can be when you first try to navigate the B&N boards.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's my pleasure Becke, and Greg I hoped that helped any thing I can do to help I will

First Look is totally it's own entity where Rachel is our moderator and Paul is our administrator. Every couple of months there is an offering for a new book and you can find that here http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Announcements/bd-p/announcements - under the announcements thread.

There will be a schedule posted under the First Look and then Rachel will post questions and direct us then we just start talking about it.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help

New User
scooby-doo17
0 Kudos

hi there

i was read what you wrote i just want to tell you i love read mystery when i was a kid i read phyllis a whitney they are hard to fine now i also love read agatha christie i starte on a new one author name is nero blanc i love them there are more but i can't rember them i just want you to know you are not a lone with read mystery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Scooby-doo, you've definitely come to the right place if you like those authors! Welcome!

Contributor
WhoDoneItCT
0 Kudos

Thanks for asking those questions.  I am stumped about the same things.  I also received my book this week and plan to read it over the weekend.  Also, I've noticed that many of the online discussions with authors, etc. take place during the day while I'm at work.  I'm not available to participate really, until the evening,  That being said, even if I can't participate in the discussions, I will be happy to read and post my reviews.  What a great opportunity.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

WhoDoneItCT wrote:

Thanks for asking those questions.  I am stumped about the same things.  I also received my book this week and plan to read it over the weekend.  Also, I've noticed that many of the online discussions with authors, etc. take place during the day while I'm at work.  I'm not available to participate really, until the evening,  That being said, even if I can't participate in the discussions, I will be happy to read and post my reviews.  What a great opportunity.

Not to worry, there are a lot of participants who respond in the evening and the author reads all the questions and replies when they're able to, it's not a live participation. So please post your comments over at first look and we will all benefit from them.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

WhoDoneIt, if you go to the main Mystery board and scroll down past all the visiting authors, you'll see a First Look discussion thread here. This is the party thread. The "real" discussion is on the main First Look Book Club board which you can find by clicking "Browse Book Clubs."

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing that out Becke, I momentarily forgot about the monkey business first look party thread here.

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I have been creeping through this thread all morning. My name is Deb. Like everyone else I started out with Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Trixie Beldon and so forth. I read all the Agatha Christie mysteries in middle school and forgot about the Ellery Queens I got into after that. I saw someone post the Bobbsey Twins, I have never known anyone else who had heard of them. My grandmother gave me their books when I was a kid.

I have been part of the First Look for a while and am really looking forward to the discussions on the mystery selections. I got a way from mystery for a while, very into classics and literature, but managed to sneak in a mystery occassionally. Teaching in high school hasn't allowed for much room during the school year. This year's sabbatical from teaching is allowing me to rediscover the books I love. I read The Historian this fall, had to stop and reread Dracula, and loved it. I bought The Swan Thieves as soon as it came out. Read the older Patricia Cornwall books, and just this fall also read one of the Sookie books. My sisters and niece are very much into the vampire, mystery type books. Though I am not a vampire fan they were amusing. I will read some of her other books to see how I like them.

You all have brought up so many authors I have missed out on over the years that I will probably never get caught up but it is worth a try. I have downloaded a few on my Nook and will be getting started soon. Cheers to all of you.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Deb, and welcome to the Mystery book club! I'm tempted to start recommending books, but just by scrolling through this "thread," you'll find tons of them.

My daughter (who is 26) loved the Twilight series; I lean more toward the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. My 15 year old niece is hooked on Melissa Marr and on the Vampire Academy books in addition to the Twilight series.

As far as First Look, Debbie Haupt posted a link to the "real" First Look site; here at Mystery we have a kind of green room where First Look participants are hanging out and partying until the book club begins in March. 

Thanks for joining us, and don't forget to drop in and say hi to today's guest author, Jordan Dane - she has one of the best "call" stories I've ever come across!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reposting my Garden Variety blog here:

Sticks and Bones

by Moderator becke_davis 

"Gardeners and crime writers have quite a lot in common, not the least that they are both fond of a good plot." – attributed to Royal Horticultural Society member Jane Bowden, writing as Avon Curry.

I’m always looking for garden-related mysteries, and since I blogged on this topic (Digging Into MurderCultivating for Clues), I’ve found a lot more. It’s been a disappointment to discover that many of my old favorites are out of print, but I’m hoping that will change as more and more books are reissued for eReaders.

I’ve been intrigued by labyrinths and mazes ever since I visited Hampton Court’s famous maze many years ago, so it’s not surprising that I was drawn to Karen Harper’s The Thorne Maze, which features Hampton Court’s maze. Classic English gardens are featured in Nancy Atherton’s second Aunt Dimity book, Aunt Dimity and the Duke (also available in eBook) and in Carola Dunn’s The Winter Garden Mystery. And check out Kate Ellis’ The Bone Garden for something a little darker.

I’ve only revealed the tip of the iceberg, so watch for future blogs listing more garden-related mysteries. Do you know of any I’ve missed? I’d love to hear about them!

(Post comments here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Sticks-and-Bones/ba-p/480280 )

Becke Davis is the senior writer for The Landscape Contractor magazine, a member of Garden Writers of America and the Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association. She has written well over 1,000 published articles and is the author of five garden-related books in addition to being the moderator of B&N's Garden and Mystery book clubs.

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote: 

Thanks for joining us, and don't forget to drop in and say hi to today's guest author, Jordan Dane - she has one of the best "call" stories I've ever come across!

Thank you so much for the welcome. I dropped in on the discussion with Jordan Dane and enjoyed it very much. I even asked a couple of questions and she answered me very thoroughly. I will say that I have never been addressed as 'William' before. An easy mistake. I forgot to sign and my tag looked like my signature. She sounds like a lot of fun. I am going to pick up one of her books this weekend.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

All of these authors - many of whom are working on deadlines - have been so generous with their time, and so response to the questions and comments. I really appreciate how generous they are with their time!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing this. I hadn't heard about this book. I like to keep up with what is written about Christie.

becke_davis wrote:

Read about Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks at B&N Review today:http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/In-Brief/Agatha-Christie-s-Secret-Notebooks/ba-p/2223

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I am obsessive about collecting books by and about Christie, so I'm definitely getting this one, too.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Read about Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks at B&N Review today:http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/In-Brief/Agatha-Christie-s-Secret-Notebooks/ba-p/2223

I'll be getting this one in a month or so when it comes out in my Mystery Guild club - can't wait!

And, for debbaker - that was me about the Bobbsey Twins!  I loved them!  I had about a half dozen of the books, although I read them all, and they are still at my parents' house!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
emsphatgyrl
0 Kudos

Hi I am new here! I love the Vampire books and I am also into Sandra Brown!! I have just started "Texas! Chase" ....I am a mother of 5 and it is sometimes hard to find time to read but I love reading so I make time

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi and welcome to Mystery! There is some overlap here in the kinds of books you like - you'll find some of them here, but you might also want to check out the Romantic Reads board (moderated by the great Melanie Murray) and the Paranormal board, (moderated by the equally fabulous Paul Goat Allen).

This month at Mystery, we're celebrating a Month of Romantic Suspense and a different author is visiting with us every day - today's guest is DEANNA RAYBOURN.

Author
ConnieShelton
0 Kudos

I'm back--well, for awhile

Hi Becke and all,

I've missed this list for the past week or so--had houseguests and you know how that goes. Love to see them but kind of glad when we get back to routine. I'm so eager to get into those First Look mysteries!!

For now I MUST get back to writing--have a deadline next month to get the next Charlie Parker book off to my editor. First draft is done but revisions await, argh! I've also discovered that several of the earlier books in the series are becoming increasingly hard to find (combination of the fact that I left my old hardcover publisher and the paperback house changed their whole marketing focus.... too long a story). I think that my current publisher will take them over, though, and get everything back in print and easily available. The situation is frustrating for authors and readers alike. I'll keep you posted as I find out more about the plans.

So....I will check out the First Look mysteries very soon. If you don't hear from me regularly it's because of the deadline. But I will be back!!

Thanks for keeping such an interesting list going! Becke, say hi to your family in Albuquerque for me.

Connie Shelton

author of the Charlie Parker mystery series

Deadly Gamble