Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

A little U2 for St. Patrick's Day:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I loved

The Book of Lost Things .  Kinda creepy, but really good.  Lost fairy tales are living out an alternate world under the big knarly tree in the back yard of WWII-era David's home.  The characters start to call to him and trap him in that world.

It sounds like a chidren's story, but it is definitely NOT.  It is about the loss of childhood in the face of serious and complex family dynamics.  A very strange coming-of-age story.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I loved it, too. And since I love short stories, I REALLY loved Nocturnes.

Nocturnes

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie-

Thanks for the wishes. No I have not read Connelly before. The 9 Dragons sounds good as do the other great suggestions that everyone has posted. I must really get busy finishing my next manuscript so I can relax and enjoy some of these choices!

Sun is out in my part of the world and it promises to be a great day. I hope everyone else has one too!

JIm

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Scarecrow

It can get confusing, because there are two authors with similar names but very different writing styles:

John Connolly, who is known for his eerie Charlie Parker mysteries, which have supernatural/paranormal elements

Michael Connelly, who has a long-running series about the fabulous Harry Bosch

Crime Beat

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

More books for my TBR pile! The question is will I live long enough? hehe

Jim

becke_davis

I might make it through my pile if I live to be 150 years old.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I might make it through my pile if I live to be 150 years old.

(laughing)

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

150! That is an admirable goal! (hehe) I'm wondering if I can take my list with me to the next life so I don't have to start over from scratch!

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jimcolombo wrote:

150! That is an admirable goal! (hehe) I'm wondering if I can take my list with me to the next life so I don't have to start over from scratch!

Jim

I like that idea!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Whew, yesterday was a nerve-wracking day. As I'm sure you noticed, the sign in process somehow froze up and locked everyone out, moderators included.

Hopefully, the problem has been fixed. I'm happy to be back, and I hope you are, too!

Contributor
Tigger31
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Tawnya and I am a mystery lover! Most of my books are mysteries or cookbooks. Some of my favorite mysteries are ones that combine cooking and mysteries such as the books my Joanne Fluke. I am really into the Domestic Bliss mysteries by Leslie Caine right now too. I am just so ecstatic to be able to finally post on this board!  

Be an angel, support the military.... Ask me how!!
www.soldiersangels.org
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Believe me, we're ALL glad we can finally sign in! Thanks so much for joining us!

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Yay for signing in! Im JJ and am a 5th year bioengineering student at Penn State.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just want to remind everyone to stop by and read about Ellen Horan's fabulous debut, 31 BOND STREET!

31 Bond Street