Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

My bags are packed Becke, so wherever you decide to go I'm there.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

I've been in touch with some of the publishers to see what they have coming up. I've got to get this set up SOON!

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Yes, but the miracle worker that you are, we don't have to worry.

Author
Jimcolombo
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

This is a great idea Becke. After all one of the reasons people like to read is to escape from everyday life- even just for a few hours. My passport is packed!

 

If you wanted to add the Arctic to your list, I believe Dan Brown's Deception Point takes place there, at least a lot of the story takes place there.

 

Jim

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Jim,

and you're right Deception Point did take place there.

And Becke another rather unkown author named Karen Dionne wrote an eco-thriller called:

 

 

Freezing Point 

 

It takes place at the Polar Ice cap. It was sensational

 

She has another one coming out early next year called Boiling Point.

 

Just someone else to consider

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh and Jim, go Cubs

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Great suggestions!! I'll add those to the list.

Author
Jimcolombo
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Deb- Freezing Point sounds very good. Thanks for the suggestion. I shall add it to the long and ever growing TBR pile!

 

Hi Becke- this seems like a large project. Thanks for doing it.

 

...and yes the Cubs had better get going Indeed! :smileywink:)) Cards look strong at start. Who can stop Albert?

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Jim, I think it's going to be a recurring feature. There is a LOT of material to choose from!

Author
Jimcolombo
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Becke- It makes sense that there is a LOT to choose from. There are a LOT of books out there and they need to be set somewhere. So that is lucky for us! Lots to read and enjoy and to discuss!

 

I'm reading The Lady in the Tower by Allison Weir right now. Historical account of the last months of Anne Boleyn's life. While it is fact, it could easily be the latest murder mystery. It's an interesting read.

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Jim that does sound like a great read so it's a non-fiction that reads like a novel. Those are about the only NF I can get into.

I recently read:

 

Seized 

 

 

for the first look sneak peak and it was like that. And it was great to discuss the book with the author and his editor too.

 

I hope to start tonight:

 

 

 

Pride Mates 

 

for the romance club's April read

 

Have a great day everyone, the weather here is gorgeous. 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

 

Jimcolombo wrote:

Becke- It makes sense that there is a LOT to choose from. There are a LOT of books out there and they need to be set somewhere. So that is lucky for us! Lots to read and enjoy and to discuss!

 

I'm reading The Lady in the Tower by Allison Weir right now. Historical account of the last months of Anne Boleyn's life. While it is fact, it could easily be the latest murder mystery. It's an interesting read.

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

 

 

 

Did you ever see the movie Anne of The Thousand Days? I saw it more than 40 years ago, and I still remember it. Very powerful.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Jimcolombo wrote:

I'm reading The Lady in the Tower by Allison Weir right now. Historical account of the last months of Anne Boleyn's life. While it is fact, it could easily be the latest murder mystery. It's an interesting read.

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

Hi Jim,

 

Ah - another Weir to add to my collection!  I have to admit that I am woefully behind in my historical reading - I still have three others by Weir to read, as well as non-Weir biographies of Henry VII and Miguel de Cervantes.  I just have to be in the mood, although I do enjoy them, and I haven't been in the mood for a long time.  They tend to be rather long reads, as well.  But Alison Weir seems to make the driest information interesting, so I love her books.  I don't know if you are also an aficionado, so you may well have already read them, but a couple of her older books that also read like mysteries are

Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Murder of Lord Darnley  and, of course,

The Princes in the Tower   I highly recommend them!

  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎05-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

 

dulcinea3 wrote:

Jimcolombo wrote:

I'm reading The Lady in the Tower by Allison Weir right now. Historical account of the last months of Anne Boleyn's life. While it is fact, it could easily be the latest murder mystery. It's an interesting read.

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

Hi Jim,

 

Ah - another Weir to add to my collection!  I have to admit that I am woefully behind in my historical reading - I still have three others by Weir to read, as well as non-Weir biographies of Henry VII and Miguel de Cervantes.  I just have to be in the mood, although I do enjoy them, and I haven't been in the mood for a long time.  They tend to be rather long reads, as well.  But Alison Weir seems to make the driest information interesting, so I love her books.  I don't know if you are also an aficionado, so you may well have already read them, but a couple of her older books that also read like mysteries are

Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Murder of Lord Darnley  and, of course,

The Princes in the Tower   I highly recommend them!

 

 

Yes!  I loved The Princes in the Tower, myself.  Fascinating book!  That was the first Weir book I read, way back in high school, or early college.  I should read that again.

 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
Jimcolombo
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi to all,

I am enjoying the Allison Weir book about Anne Boleyn very much. It seems that everyone else likes it too. I will check out her other titles. (tbr pile grows taller!) I had the good fortune to spend time in London last September so the images of the city and the Tower are still fresh in my mind.

 

Now I need to see the movie The Other Boleyn Sister movie to see how accurately that compares to this book. I also need to see Anne of a Thousand Days per Becke's recommendation.

 

If anyone wants another good historical title that is similar to the Weir books, you could try Murder of a Medici Princess by Caroline Murphy. It is the story of Isabella de Medici and how she met her fate. I liked it a lot also.

 

I should be writing today, but may end up reading!

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Here are a series of clips from ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS set to contemporary music:

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Jim - You should stop by and say hi to Jonathan Kellerman, let him know he's not the only guy here!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Jimcolombo wrote:

Hi to all,

I am enjoying the Allison Weir book about Anne Boleyn very much. It seems that everyone else likes it too. I will check out her other titles. (tbr pile grows taller!) I had the good fortune to spend time in London last September so the images of the city and the Tower are still fresh in my mind.

 

Now I need to see the movie The Other Boleyn Sister movie to see how accurately that compares to this book. I also need to see Anne of a Thousand Days per Becke's recommendation.

 

If anyone wants another good historical title that is similar to the Weir books, you could try Murder of a Medici Princess by Caroline Murphy. It is the story of Isabella de Medici and how she met her fate. I liked it a lot also.

 

I should be writing today, but may end up reading!

 

Have a great day!

 

Jim

I've seen The Other Boleyn Girl, and it is based on a work of historical fiction, not actual history, which is very inaccurate.  I actually have the book in my TBR pile, with a couple of other historical fiction books about Anne Boleyn, but I've kind of gone off of historical fiction.  Sometimes they can be very close to the truth, but I would not say that about this one.  I have seen Anne of a Thousand Days, but not for many years, so I don't really remember it.  If you want another (true history) book about Anne, I would also recommend

Mistress Anne 

 

Carolly Erickson (I believe it is a man) also makes history accessible, so I was into his books for a while before I discovered Weir.

 

Also, if you are into the Tudors, I have to recommend one of my favorites:

The Sisters Of Henry Viii 

 

Really fascinating!  I only knew general information about Henry's sisters from reading about him, but they also had very interesting lives, especially Margaret.

 

Ok, now I am entirely off the subject of mystery!  Sorry, Becke!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Don't worry - I don't mind if we slip off-topic if it's an interesting subject, as this one is.

Author
Jimcolombo
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi to all,

Thanks for the additional titles about Henry VIII and Anne. They did seem to be interesting times.

I will indeed visit Mr. Kellerman although I have not read any of his books. Thanks and lets have a great weekend!

 

Jim

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Jim - I'm not sure if Jonathan Kellerman will be visiting with us over the weekend, but he'll be with us next week, too. He mentioned someone in his family was in the hospital, so it's really nice he's been so generous with his time.