Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Good morning to all,

dq531- The Lost symbol does pick up and I thought it was an exciting read. I hope that you stick with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Stephanie Plum series. They are really entertaining.

Right now I am re-visting an old Agatha Christie- Endless Night. I had read it years ago and it is still goo this time around.

Have fun and a great weekend to all.

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Jim  Agatha Christie books are my favorite re-reads!

Author
LJSellers
0 Kudos

I'm L.J. Sellers, author of the Detetive Jackson mystery/suspense series. My first two books, The Sex Club and Secrets to Die For, are in print, and the third book, Thrilled to Death, will be released in August. Passions of the Dead and The Baby Thief will be published in 2011. When not plotting murders, I enjoy cycling, social networking, performing standup comedy, attending mystery conferences, and editing fiction manuscripts. I’ve also been known to jump out of airplanes.

As a reader, I love crime fiction and thrillers of all kinds, with an occasional nonfiction book thrown in for balance.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi L.J.!!! Thank you so much for joining us! I'm in the Big Apple this week, so I'm not hanging out here as much as I usually do. I'm glad I spotted your post - welcome!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi LJ, welcome. Your books look very interesting and I think I'll have to check them out.

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi to all-

LJ welcome. I hope that you enjoy  this mystery group. Everyone is really friendly.

Have a great day!

Jim

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Hi LJ

Welcome to the club.  Your books sound intriguing and I will have to look them up.  I have a coworker who jumps out of planes as well.  It seems like fun but I have never tried it.  It's good to have you with us.

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Contributor
dq531
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I finally finished reading The Lost Symbol and I didn't care for it. I've read all of Dan Brown's book but this one didn't do anything for me.

I started reading a sample of Janet Evanovich's first novel in the Stephanie Plum series last night and from what I've already read, I know I'll be purchasing it without a doubt.

I've been looking on the site everyday and there are just so many great book suggestions, that I just know this is going to be a great summer for reading!!

Take care.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Fricka, and I'm new here.

I must say, this looks like my kind of group! I'm always on the lookout for good mysteries, new or otherwise, that I haven't read before.

So that you can get to know me a bit better, I'll start off by listing some of my favorite mystery writers.

--I grew up reading the Nancy Drew series, and somewhere around Jr. high graduated to the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout. I was dismayed to find that many of them went out of print when Stout died in the 1970's, so it was a pleasant surprise to find that many of them have been recently re-issued. My favorite Nero Wolfe is probably Black Orchids, although Some Buried Caesar, the one where Nero and Archie find themselves in a cow pasture, chased by a bull, is also right up there. That book's also where Archie meets Lily Rowan for the first time, so it is filled with interesting details like that.

--Georgette Heyer is primarily known for her Regency period romances, but she also wrote a number of first-rate mysteries. They have also recently been re-issued, in  the larger paperack format, so if you haven't read any of them, you have a treat coming!

--Agatha Christie and  Dorothy L. Sayers are also favorite authors whose works I have read and re-read over and over. I tend to favor Christie's Poirot stories, but her Miss Marple, Parker Pyne, Detective, and  Harley Quinn stories are also worth spending time with.

What can I say about the Sayers books? I absolutely love Lord Peter Wimsey and his loyal manservant, Bunter. My absolute favorite Sayers novel is Gaudy Night. I love the way that she works a mystery story into the setting of a woman's  college connected to Oxford.

--Jill Paton Walsh does the same thing, with her The Wyndham Case, and what I think is a small masterpiece of writing, The Bad Quarto.

--Any of John Mortimer's Rumpole stories are great reading, and Rumpole always is a fun character to read about.

--Another of my favorite mystery authors is M.C. Beaton. She has two mystery series, one about Hamish MacBeth, that red-haired bachelor policeman who refuses promotion because he likes living where he is, and the Agatha Raisin mysteries. Both are first rate.

--Carola Dunn and Jacqueline Winspear both have mysteries that take place in the period after WWI and before WWII. Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple series has more humor in it, as Daisy is always sniifing out clues, to the chagrin of her boyfriend/fiance/husband(depending where you are in the series), Alex Fletcher. Winspear has a freshly released addition to her Maisie Dobbs series, The Mapping of Love and Death, which I recently bought and am looking forward to reading.

[ I call these sets of books the "Daisy and Maisie"'s :-)]

I think this will do for a start...

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis

Welcome Animated Graphics Gifs Images

Welcome to the Mystery book club, Fricka! I'm so glad you joined us - you've listed authors that are favorites of a lot of ours.

I'm excited to see John Mortimer's Rumpole books on your list - I enjoy the TV series that's now on DVD, but I really love the books!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dq531 wrote:

Hi Jim,

I finally finished reading The Lost Symbol and I didn't care for it. I've read all of Dan Brown's book but this one didn't do anything for me.

I started reading a sample of Janet Evanovich's first novel in the Stephanie Plum series last night and from what I've already read, I know I'll be purchasing it without a doubt.

I've been looking on the site everyday and there are just so many great book suggestions, that I just know this is going to be a great summer for reading!!

Take care.

I preferred Angels & Demons and the DaVinci Code to The Lost Symbol, but I still couldn't put it down. I just wished he'd put all the fascinating details in a separate non-fiction book, because I was really interested in all the little things he mentioned and they pulled me out of the story for that reason.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Welcome Animated Graphics Gifs Images

Welcome to the Mystery book club, Fricka! I'm so glad you joined us - you've listed authors that are favorites of a lot of ours.

I'm excited to see John Mortimer's Rumpole books on your list - I enjoy the TV series that's now on DVD, but I really love the books!

Becke.What an Adorable Welcome Sign..".Very'Special"..Welcome Fricka.I am Susan,Vtc   Glad you are here..Your list of books..I think we have each found a few we can relate to,or want to read...Becke is our esteemed Moderator...We are here for our Love of Mystery,and for Becke..Its an amazing group ..Enjoy..Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Good Morning to all

...and welcome Fricka. I like your reading list ... a lot! Agatha Christie is my favorite author!

dq531- The Lost Symbol did seem a little more violent in a nasty way, but I think that is a reflection of the times we live in now. I liked the story though, and have to say that I did have trouble putting it down. Actually I have done a little research on Magic Squares (long before Mr. Brown) and found them useful in timing nature's cycles. I'm a nerd I know, but it was interesting stuff!

I'm sure you will love Stephanie Plum also. I just started reading Eleven on Top last night. I'm a little behind in the series.

Jim

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jimcolombo wrote:

Good Morning to all

...and welcome Fricka. I like your reading list ... a lot! Agatha Christie is my favorite author!

dq531- The Lost Symbol did seem a little more violent in a nasty way, but I think that is a reflection of the times we live in now. I liked the story though, and have to say that I did have trouble putting it down. Actually I have done a little research on Magic Squares (long before Mr. Brown) and found them useful in timing nature's cycles. I'm a nerd I know, but it was interesting stuff!

I'm sure you will love Stephanie Plum also. I just started reading Eleven on Top last night. I'm a little behind in the series.

Jim

Good morning my mystery friends, and welcome to you Fricka.

Hmm, I loved The Lost Symbol too, found it hard to put down, but as for the violence I thought Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code were more violent and Angels and Demons being the most violent, maybe because the perpetrators were men of religion. It might be a nice thread to consider, violence in novels.

I'm just starting to read Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani, only on the first chapter but already I'm loving it.

Raining here today probably through tomorrow am, that's good because I have to go to and provide refreshments for my kids recital tomorrow pm.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thank you, becke, Susan/Vermontcosy(love that name!),Jim, dq531, and dhaupt, for your welcoming messages.

becke, that was a very cute visual  message!

I'm glad I've found some fellow Agatha Christie aficiandos here. What I find enjoyable about the Christie books is that, after a period of not having read one of her books recently, I can re-read the novel and still be surprised at its ending! Agatha was a genius at creating the surprise ending, and  her books still do that for me today.

One thing I like about the Rumpole of the Bailey books is that they are filled with short stories or cases that Rumpole describes, so they are great for summer reading or for times when one might not have the time to get through a longer book, but have a shorter period that's just right for perusing one of the stories. In short, great for reading material on air flights, or other places where some good reading material can help to pass the time.

*slaps head* How could I have left Janet Evonovich off my list? Well, I was planning to make another addition to that list, as I did not want to write TOO long of a list on my introductory message. I had seen the Stephanie Plum books several times in the library, but for whatever reason, they did not appeal to me, so I had not ever read any of them. Then one day, I saw

Plum Lucky, one of the between-the-numbers books, and, as it looked nice and short,  checked it out. I took it to work( tutoring at a community college where I work, and where we have some blocks of time at the end of the semester when not as many students show up). I started reading it and found myself giggling at Stephanie's descriptions of Lula, and I had to look around to make sure I wasn't disturbing the other students in the center with my laughing. Well, after that, I was hooked, and I've read ALL the Stephanie Plum books now, and am looking forward to number Seventeen, which is due out any day now!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis

Fricka - We're going to have a month of Agatha Christie in September in honor of her birthday. We'll be talking about the new Christie notebooks plus all of her other books, and several famous authors will be blogging about her, too.

Contributor
escaperf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileywink: Hello All,

I love reading mystery series recently read Fresh Baked Mystery Series by Laura Washburn, also love the new Apple Orchard Series, found a lot of series from www.cozymysteries.com.

What I like about cozy they seem to be available for Nook. Have read all the agatha mysteries years ago. Nice to meet you all and happy reading.:smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

escaperf wrote:

:smileywink: Hello All,

I love reading mystery series recently read Fresh Baked Mystery Series by Laura Washburn, also love the new Apple Orchard Series, found a lot of series from www.cozymysteries.com.

What I like about cozy they seem to be available for Nook. Have read all the agatha mysteries years ago. Nice to meet you all and happy reading.:smileyvery-happy:

Hello and welcome!

welcome-desi-glitters-35

I was going to post links to those but apparently they aren't available through BN.com at this point.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka - We're going to have a month of Agatha Christie in September in honor of her birthday. We'll be talking about the new Christie notebooks plus all of her other books, and several famous authors will be blogging about her, too.

becke: A month of discussing Dame Agatha's books! Whooo-hooo!:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry to double post, but I had some problems with the formatting on the previous message.

escaperf, thanks for the info on those cozy mysteries. I will have to check those out.:smileywink:

Also, you might like the Corinna Chapman mystery series by Kerry Greenwood. Corinna is a baker who also solves mysteries, in Australia.