becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Jim - Unfortunately reading all those great mysteries hasn't magically made me a brilliant mystery writer. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Becke- Indeed that would be nice, but I think that you should give it a try anyway. You just never know what might happen!!

Jim

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I don't know, becke--ever think about writing a mystery centered around gardening? Maybe like an American version of Rosemary and Thyme?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jimcolombo wrote:

Becke- Indeed that would be nice, but I think that you should give it a try anyway. You just never know what might happen!!

Jim

Fricka and Jim - 

I'm working on a romantic suspense with a garden-related subplot now. An editor has asked to see it even though it's not complete yet, but I've had enough rejections on other stories to have a realistic attitude about it. I'll just keep plugging away!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Jimcolombo wrote:

Jim

Fricka and Jim - 

I'm working on a romantic suspense with a garden-related subplot now. An editor has asked to see it even though it's not complete yet, but I've had enough rejections on other stories to have a realistic attitude about it. I'll just keep plugging away!

Becke, you are a wonderful and talented storyteller. It's not your fault that people you have sent it to are lacking in that department. And so I'll be excited for you that some one has asked to see it.

You are the little engine that could

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Jimcolombo wrote:

Jim

Fricka and Jim - 

Becke, you are a wonderful and talented storyteller. It's not your fault that people you have sent it to are lacking in that department. And so I'll be excited for you that some one has asked to see it.

You are the little engine that could

Well, anyway, I'll be the Little Engine (or not-so-little-engine) that persevered!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You can read my short-short here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124418000

But since I am a major geek, please note they left out an important colon here:

my own Big Apple. New York.

It should say:

my own: Big Apple. New York.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I thought some of you might be interested in this:

Be There When 150 Killers, Kidnappers, Spies and Liars Descend on NYC for ThrillerFest V

Join us at the Grand Hyatt on 7/7/2010 at the 5th Annual ThrillerFest. Joining Thriller Master Ken Follett will be David Morrell, Harlan Coben, Lisa Scottolini, Gayle Lynds, Mark Bowden, Brad Meltzer, Linda Fairstein, Steve Berry, M.J. Rose, Douglas Preston, Sandra Brown, Ridley Pearson, Carla Neggers and many more. 

Everyone is welcome--fans, readers, aspiring authors and industry professionals. 

Register Now!! For details visit www.ThrillerFest.com

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Becke, don't let rejections stop you from moving forward. I have a really thick stack of them but here I am ... published! It is a great feeling and well worth the bs that you have to go through.

I think with your knowledge of gardening there must be some plant that you can poison someone with!! or someplace to bury them!! ... yes I think there are a lot of possibilities ...

Fricka- I enjoyed the Rosemary and Thyme stories. Clever.

Have a great day!

Jim

becke_davis

Creeping Jenny 

It's surprising how many mysteries are centered around plants. I've got two different stories related to gardens/plants, I just have to finish writing them. I have too many stories in various stages of completion. I seem to spend most of my time writing garden articles rather than working on fiction lately; I wish I could switch that around, but non-fic pays the bills right now.

Rosemary Harris, Heather Webber, Kate Collins, Anthony Eglin, Joyce and Jim Lavene, Barbara Michaels and many others have written mysteries centered around plants/gardens/flower shops.

John Sherwood had a wonderful series which is no longer in print - hopefully his books will be reissued digitally before long.

Creeping Jenny 

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/John-Sherwood.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sherwood_(author)

I just found this on Janet Rudolph's blog:

Murder in the Plot: Gardening Mysteries

Spring! My Garden is looking beautiful. The roses have totally leafed out, lots of buds (no roses yet), but lots of other flowers and flowering trees. Daffs are done, but iris are everywhere. I went to several Garden Showsin the Bay Area, and they inspired me to do more. Weeding was a first priority. Dealing with gophers and snails was next. In any case, this all got me thinking about garden mysteries. 

I've moderated bookgroups onGardening Mysteries and Mystery Readers Journal has had two issues that focused on Gardening Mysteries.  Volume 20:3 in unavailable, but I'll see if I can work on a download for this issue. Do look at the Table of Contents for titles and authors.

Let's face it, gardens are filled with poisons, poisonous plants, and all kinds of tools. Perfect place for a murder!

For the purposes of this post, I put together a list of mysteries that take place in gardens, at garden shows or have to do with plants. This is in no way a complete list. So in no particular order, just some random gardening mysteries and notes. Many of these authors have multiple gardening mystery titles, so be sure and check them out.

Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael a medieval gardener and herbalist. Ann Ripley's Books features Louise Eldridge, host of a PBS show Gardening with Nature. Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe and his orchids. Wilkie Collins'Sergeant Cuff (Moonstone and his roses). Janis Harrison's Roots of Murder (florist). Barbara Michaels' The Dancing Floor (English country garden tour). Lora Roberts' Murder Crops Up (a community garden).Rebecca Rothenberg's The Dandelion Murders ( Claire Sharples, microbiologist, assigned to an agricultural station) 

Other authors: Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles (lawyer now herbalist),Jean Hager's Blooming Murder (Iris Growers Convention), Emma Lathen(an old favorite).. Green Grow the Dollars (a Garden Catalogue company),John Sherwood's Celia Grant Mysteries (widow owner of a rare-plant nursery in England), Charlotte McLeod's Peter Shandy (professor of agronomy at Balaclava Agricultural College), Mary Freeman's Rachel O' Connor (a landscape gardener), Rosemary Harris' Pushing Up Daisies with Paula Holliday (former media executive now in the garden business), Janis Harrison's Bindweed with Bretta Solomon (a florist),  Mark Mills's The Savage Garden with Adam Strickland (studying landscape architecture).

Other authors: Carola Dunn (Black Ship), Anthony Eglin (The Trail of the Wild Rose and others), Catherine Aird (Amendment of Life), M.C. Beaton(Death of a Witch), Krista Davis (The Diva Paints the Town), Martin Edwards (The Cipher Garden), Kate Ellis (The Bone Garden), Kathy Lynn Emerson (Face down O'er the Border), Richard Forrest (Death in the Secret Garden), Tess Gerritsen (The Bone Garden), Janet Gleeson (The Serpent in the Garden), Denise Hamilton (Savage Garden), Veronica Heley(Murder in the Garden), Naomi Hirahara (Summer of the Big Bachi).

Elizabeth Ironside (Death in the Garden), Kathleen Gregory Klein (the Deadly Garden Tour).  Joyce Lavene (A Corpse for Yew), Keith McCarthy (the Rest is Silence),George Pelecanos (The Night Gardener), Sheila Pim (A Brush with Death)Ian Rankin (The Hanging Garden), Christopher Rice (The Snow Garden),Cynthia Riggs (Death and Honesty), Heather Webber (Digging Up Trouble),Audrey Stallsmith (Rosemary for Remembrance), Gladys Mitchell (The Death-Cap Dancers), Susan Kenney (Garden of Malice), J.R.L. Anderson(Death in the Greenhouse). Nancy Atherton (Aunt Dimity and the Duke),M.C. Beaton (Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener).

J.S. Borthwick (The Garden Plot), Caroline Graham (Killings at Badger's Drift), Karen Harper, (The Thorne Maze), Graham Landrum (Garden Club Mystery), Mary McMullen (A Grave Without Flowers),  John Sherwood(Creeping Jenny), Richard Barth (Ragged Plot), Dorothy Cannell (Down the Garden Path), Jill Churchill (Mulch Ado About Nothing), Peter Abresch (Bloody Bonsai), K.C. Constantine (Man who Liked Slow Tomatoes), Joan Hadley (Night-blooming Cereus), Janice Harrison (Roots of Murder), Elizabeth Lemarchand (Suddenly While Gardening), Sujata Massey (Flower Master), Sheila Pim (Common or Garden Crime), Reginald Hill (Deadheads).

On TV.. I love the Rosemary and Thyme series with Rosemary Boxer, plant pathologist,  and Laura Thyme, farmer's daughter and dedicated gardener. If you watch the credits, you'll see that Peter Lovesey is a consultant, probably on the mystery, but possibly he's a gardener, too. 

Check out a related post on Orchids and Orchids in Mysteries. List of orchid mysteries.

Also Stop You're Killing Me has quite a good list.

As I said, this isn't a complete list by any means. What's your favorite Gardening Mystery?

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

HI Becke,

I don't have a particular favorite gardening mystery. I do enjoy Rosemary and Thyme, but I was thinking more  along the lines of it's a great place for things to happen. Gardens can be a spot for a secret rendezvous, or a romance, or a murder. 

It's too bad that you can't get back to writing your fiction, but I'm sure that it work out one day soon. Then you will have a blockbuster on your hands!

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jimcolombo wrote:

HI Becke,

I don't have a particular favorite gardening mystery. I do enjoy Rosemary and Thyme, but I was thinking more  along the lines of it's a great place for things to happen. Gardens can be a spot for a secret rendezvous, or a romance, or a murder. 

It's too bad that you can't get back to writing your fiction, but I'm sure that it work out one day soon. Then you will have a blockbuster on your hands!

Jim

I'm still plugging away, Jim, I just need a personal NaNoWriMo to get me back on track. 

You're right about gardens being a great place for things to happen - I've just always been intrigued how mysteries and gardening so often seem to merge!

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Hello everyone and thank you, Becke, for inviting me via Twitter to come check out your book club. I'm always happy to see a Mystery book club as I'm an avid reader of all things mystery, murder and mayhem. I started reading Stephen King novels as a young teen...maybe even tween.

I recall many nights reading under the covers with a flashlight because my parents had yelled at me for the hundredth time to turn out my lights and go to sleep. I had a lot of terrifying dreams as a result (of Stephen King, not my parents...lol) But I kept on reading.

Now I'm a bit older. Okay, a lot older. And I'm still an avid reader. I love contemporary mysteries, especially featuring strong female protagonists. Like Gail Bowen's series. She's one of my idols. Her character, Joanne Kilbourn (played by Wendy Crewson in the TV movies), is an admirable character with a busy family life. I love stories that delve into more than just a single plot. I'm a huge fan of J.D. Robb's In Death series.

I'm also an author. Again, I can (happily) blame that on Stephen King. :smileywink: I am drawn to the dark side, so I write suspense, mystery, thrillers...and even some YA. I also just branched out recently as a romantic suspense author ("Cherish D'Angelo") and my debut novel Lancelot's Lady will be released in late September.

I like to say "I kill people off for a living." Sometimes I get weird looks. lol

And I love book clubs, both as a book lover and as an author. The ones I've attended have had such great munchies and drinks. :smileyhappy: Ok, I'll bring the virtual margaritas next time!

All the best.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif,

bestselling author of Whale Song, The River and Divine Intervention

http://www.cherylktardif.com

Divine Intervention 

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
becke_davis

Cheryl - I'm so glad you joined us! Oh, can I relate - my mom always said the reason I wear glasses is from all the times I hid under the sheets with a flashlight and a Nancy Drew book!

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Nancy Drew? Now you're talking my language. I used to have every Nancy Drew book--from the original hardcover collection. lol

For a year and a half in high school I had to read glasses because I over-strained my eyes. Then my parents gave up on telling me lights out and I stopped wearing glasses.

Sadly, I started wearing READING glasses about 2 years ago.

Speaking of which, where did I put the darned things...?

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh yes - I'm wearing my distance glasses less and my reading glasses more these days. My favorite Nancy Drew's were the green cloth covers with the silhouettes on the inside. Some of mine were the tweedy blue covers, but I did have some with the photos on cardboard (or however you'd describe them), starting from the early 1960s.

I also read Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, Hardy Boys, Beverly Gray, Judy Bolton and whatever Scholastic and Weekly Reader had on offer.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Oh yes - I'm wearing my distance glasses less and my reading glasses more these days. My favorite Nancy Drew's were the green cloth covers with the silhouettes on the inside. Some of mine were the tweedy blue covers, but I did have some with the photos on cardboard (or however you'd describe them), starting from the early 1960s.

I also read Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, Hardy Boys, Beverly Gray, Judy Bolton and whatever Scholastic and Weekly Reader had on offer.

Great memories with my little flashlight under the covers with especially Nancy Drew,my sister did the same thing..  ,yes Glasses.,for about a month..Then .Contacts..Still wear glasses of course,,but I love Them now...SusanVtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Seems like we all have alot in common..Love That Picture B..SusanVtc

becke_davis wrote:

Cheryl - I'm so glad you joined us! Oh, can I relate - my mom always said the reason I wear glasses is from all the times I hid under the sheets with a flashlight and a Nancy Drew book!

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Cheryl, to our group here! I am busily making notes of the list that becke put on about all the gardening mysteries, and I'm adding your books to that list.I'm always glad to find a new mystery author whose work I  haven't read before.

Back to becke's question about our favorite gardening mysteries: I did recognize many of the titles in that long list. It's hard to zero in on just one, but for today, I'll say it's Black Orchids, by Rex Stout. The story starts out with Archie Goodwin being sent to a Flower Show/Exhibition three days running, so that he can report back to Nero on a rival orchid grower's set of Black Orchids.(Hence the title of the book, ha ha.) Nero finally has to see for himself, and thus he is on hand the day that a murder occurs in one of the exhibits, and Archie the unwitting tool of the murderer. It's vintage Stout at his best, and Archie and Nero are both at the top of their game in this story.One of my favorite parts is where Archie finally gets the green light from Nero to manhandle Inspector Cramer--but you'll have to read the book to find out the result of that encounter.

Everyone--have a safe Memorial Day weekend. TTFN

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie