Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Good morning to all-

Welcome to Cheryl. I'm glad that you stopped by. I know what you mean about reading with a flashlight under the covers ... I used to do it when I was young, and it's no better now. I use my notebook or iphone to read in the dark, which may actually be worse for my eyes! I've worn glass since the fourth grade! :smileysad:

I like a strong female character in stories and movies, and I tried to make the heroine in my debut novel just such a woman. I hope that I succeeded.

I'll follow you on twitter. and I hope that everyone has a great day!

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, I did wonder if it would be quiet here with the holiday weekend - I'm glad to see you all decided to hang out today!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ignore that link - I gave Cheryl her own thread.

Now visiting - our friend CONNIE SHELTON, who has chatted with us before. Do stop by and say hello to her so she doesn't feel all alone! (A lot of people are viewing the thread without talking to her, and I know that can be uncomfortable for authors.)

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-welcome-author-CONNIE-SHELTON/m-p/538726/highl...

dhaupt
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

Hello everyone and thank you, Becke, for inviting me via Twitter to come check out your book club. I'm always happy to see a Mystery book club as I'm an avid reader of all things mystery, murder and mayhem. I started reading Stephen King novels as a young teen...maybe even tween.

I recall many nights reading under the covers with a flashlight because my parents had yelled at me for the hundredth time to turn out my lights and go to sleep. I had a lot of terrifying dreams as a result (of Stephen King, not my parents...lol) But I kept on reading.

Now I'm a bit older. Okay, a lot older. And I'm still an avid reader. I love contemporary mysteries, especially featuring strong female protagonists. Like Gail Bowen's series. She's one of my idols. Her character, Joanne Kilbourn (played by Wendy Crewson in the TV movies), is an admirable character with a busy family life. I love stories that delve into more than just a single plot. I'm a huge fan of J.D. Robb's In Death series.

I'm also an author. Again, I can (happily) blame that on Stephen King. :smileywink: I am drawn to the dark side, so I write suspense, mystery, thrillers...and even some YA. I also just branched out recently as a romantic suspense author ("Cherish D'Angelo") and my debut novel Lancelot's Lady will be released in late September.

I like to say "I kill people off for a living." Sometimes I get weird looks. lol

And I love book clubs, both as a book lover and as an author. The ones I've attended have had such great munchies and drinks. :smileyhappy: Ok, I'll bring the virtual margaritas next time!

All the best.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif,

bestselling author of Whale Song, The River and Divine Intervention

http://www.cherylktardif.com

Divine Intervention 

Cheryl, welcome to our little family dysfunctional as it may be, we have fun here. I made the mistake of having drinking coffee while I read your post and almost spit it out with the comment about killing people for a living, I'll just bet you get the "looks".

Your books look very interesting, so I guess my TBR pile will grow a little.

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I do make people wonder sometimes. :-)

Thank you for the welcome. I'm hoping to pop in once a week, but come September it'll be crazy busy with the release of Lancelot's Lady.

I noticed you left your blog link. I must go check it out. Do you ever have guest bloggers? If so, please let me know if you have room for one in October. I am hoping to have an insane blog tour.

Now I must go sharpen the knives...I mean pencils.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author
http://www.cherylktardif.com

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I do make people wonder sometimes. :-)

Thank you for the welcome. I'm hoping to pop in once a week, but come September it'll be crazy busy with the release of Lancelot's Lady.

I noticed you left your blog link. I must go check it out. Do you ever have guest bloggers? If so, please let me know if you have room for one in October. I am hoping to have an insane blog tour.

Now I must go sharpen the knives...I mean pencils.

Did I learn from the previous post, no here I am drinking coffee yet again. I have to read your books because your humor right here is wicked funny.

Well please check out my blog and you're the first to ask about guest bloggers but I would be honored to have you.

Now go sharpen those knives I mean pencils

Author
ChristyMystery
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke!  My husband pointed out your Twitter invite for cozy(ish) writers.  I write for Berkley Prime Crime as Christy Evans, and I read ANYTHING mystery, and have since I learned to read :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the invitation!

Christina York/Christy Evans

SINK TRAP, LEAD PIPE CINCH out now!

DRIP DEAD, coming in February

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

ChristyMystery wrote:

Hi, Becke!  My husband pointed out your Twitter invite for cozy(ish) writers.  I write for Berkley Prime Crime as Christy Evans, and I read ANYTHING mystery, and have since I learned to read :smileyhappy:

Sink Trap

Lead-Pipe Cinch

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Welcome, Cheryl, to our group here! I am busily making notes of the list that becke put on about all the gardening mysteries, and I'm adding your books to that list.I'm always glad to find a new mystery author whose work I  haven't read before.

Back to becke's question about our favorite gardening mysteries: I did recognize many of the titles in that long list. It's hard to zero in on just one, but for today, I'll say it's Black Orchids, by Rex Stout. The story starts out with Archie Goodwin being sent to a Flower Show/Exhibition three days running, so that he can report back to Nero on a rival orchid grower's set of Black Orchids.(Hence the title of the book, ha ha.) Nero finally has to see for himself, and thus he is on hand the day that a murder occurs in one of the exhibits, and Archie the unwitting tool of the murderer. It's vintage Stout at his best, and Archie and Nero are both at the top of their game in this story.One of my favorite parts is where Archie finally gets the green light from Nero to manhandle Inspector Cramer--but you'll have to read the book to find out the result of that encounter.

Everyone--have a safe Memorial Day weekend. TTFN

Fricka - don't remember if I included Black Orchid on my lists but that's a favorite of my mom's, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ChristyMystery wrote:

Hi Christy! Your husband sent me a note on Twitter - I'm so glad he persuaded you to join us here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

ChristyMystery wrote:

Sink Trap

Lead-Pipe Cinch

Thank you so much for posting the links!

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi Christy-

Welcome. I hope that you enjoy the group.

I'll follow you on twitter

Jim Colombo

THE KEY TO THE VAULT

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Christy, you'll love it here I'm sure

I'll follow you too.

Jim I got the Book THANK YOU!!!!!

Author
ElleryAdams
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Ellery Adams, author of the new BOOKS BY THE BAY mysteries!

Hi! I'm Ellery Adams, author of the new Books By the Bay mystery series set on the coast of North Carolina! The first installment, A KILLER PLOT, was released June 1st. Here's the blurb:killer plot cover

A Killer Plot 
Ellery Adams

In the small coastal town of Oyster Bay, North Carolina, you’ll find plenty of characters, ne’er-do-wells, and even a few celebs trying to duck the paparazzi. But when murder joins this curious community, the Bayside Book Writers are there to get the story...

Olivia Limoges is the subject of constant gossip. Ever since she came back to town—a return as mysterious as her departure—Olivia has kept to herself, her dog, and her unfinished novel. With a little cajoling from the eminently charming writer Camden Ford, she agrees to join the Bayside Book Writers, break her writer’s block, and even make a few friends...

But when townspeople start turning up dead with haiku poems left by the bodies, anyone with a flair for language is suddenly suspect. And it’s up to Olivia to catch the killer before she meets her own surprise ending.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Hi! I'm Ellery Adams, author of the new BOOKS BY THE BAY mysteries!

ElleryAdams wrote:

Hi! I'm Ellery Adams, author of the new Books By the Bay mystery series set on the coast of North Carolina! The first installment, A KILLER PLOT, was released June 1st. Here's the blurb:killer plot cover

A Killer Plot 
Ellery Adams

In the small coastal town of Oyster Bay, North Carolina, you’ll find plenty of characters, ne’er-do-wells, and even a few celebs trying to duck the paparazzi. But when murder joins this curious community, the Bayside Book Writers are there to get the story...

Olivia Limoges is the subject of constant gossip. Ever since she came back to town—a return as mysterious as her departure—Olivia has kept to herself, her dog, and her unfinished novel. With a little cajoling from the eminently charming writer Camden Ford, she agrees to join the Bayside Book Writers, break her writer’s block, and even make a few friends...

But when townspeople start turning up dead with haiku poems left by the bodies, anyone with a flair for language is suddenly suspect. And it’s up to Olivia to catch the killer before she meets her own surprise ending.

Welcome to the Mystery Book Club! I'm so glad you were finally able to sign in! Be sure to introduce yourself on our Cozy Mystery thread, too:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/JUNE-A-Month-of-Cozy-ish-Crime/td-p/537175

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi Ellery,

and welcome. I think you will like our little group. It is a lot of fun.

Jim Colombo

THE KEYS TO THE VAULT

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jim and Ellery - I submitted both of your names for author tags. Hopefully you'll get them soon.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Ellery, I love the cover of the book. I think I'll have to check that out.

Welcome

Author
SheilaC

What a great site!  Like so many of you, I started with Nancy Drew, saving up my weekly allowance (which I think was 50 cents at the time) to buy them one at a time.  I read all of Mary Stewart in high school, and in college someone handed me a copy of Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night and said, you have to read this!  I did, and I've been hooked ever since (and I own three copies of Gaudy Night).

And now I write cozies!  I started out as Sarah Atwell, with the Glassblowing Mysteries, then the Orchard Mysteries under my own name, Sheila Connolly.  And I'm thrilled that I have another series coming out in October:  the Museum Mysteries, set in Philadelphia.  That should be enough to keep me busy for a while--and I have to save time to read!

Fundraising the Dead 

Red Delicious Death  

I'm so glad I found this group (thank you, Heather Webber and Krista Davis!).

Sheila Connolly

Sheila Connolly
Let's Play Dead (Museum Mysteries #2), July 2011
Bitter Harvest (Orchard Mysteries #5), August 2011