Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
CherylKayeTardif

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

I think they do still do the subliminal advertising thing, Jim. That explains why I always want to eat chocolate every time I see that Crystal Light commercial. :-)

Oh, and why I always want Doritos when I see the ad for Weight Watchers.

Yes, I'm sure it's subliminal advertising that's responsible for that.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif,

Canadian suspense author

also known as Cherish D'Angelo,

romantic suspense author who eats chocolates as she writes...

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author
http://www.cherylktardif.com

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Oops...forgot I had a signature line...

By the way, hello to all the new authors who've joined us. I've been busy catching up on reading posts and making notes of new books. All the best in success!

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author
http://www.cherylktardif.com

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Cheryl - you've discovered the problem with the Mystery Book Club. It makes you want to buy/read more books!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ha, Ha  :womanvery-happy:

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

WARNING:

Debbie, put your coffee down and step away from your monitor!

Now swallow.

Continue reading at your own risk...or at the risk of soaking your computer.

Ok...um...that's all I've got.

:robotvery-happy:

Cheryl

Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

For some reason the dang quote thingy isn't working properly for me this morning, but Jim asked about subliminal advertising. I'd have to check with Scott on that, but I do know that most advertisers probably don't bother with subliminal any more because it's very overt. Advertisers pay producers big bucks to have their products showcased in movies. It's hard to find a blockbuster movie these days that doesn't have a product, or more likely multiple product, tie-ins. The James Bond franchise is a perfect example of that. Often you see adds for the products well before the release of the movie. It's like a new type of movie trailer.

Scott has mentioned from time to time where animators will slip something in-between frames as a joke. The Disney animators were notorious for doing this at one time. Not sure any of them do it now, though, but I'm sure there are others who do. You'd have to go frame by frame to spot them.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
becke_davis

The gremlins have been working overtime. I couldn't get into B&N at all last night, which means I was late posting the intro for today's exciting guest, ANDREW GROSS!!

I hope you'll all stop in and say hi - I feel terrible he's had to hang around waiting for me to get the intro up.

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

Yep this page went wonky this morning the first time I tried to sign in, but it seems to have healed itself now.

Lois- Thanks for the info. Yep I can imagine that product placement is huge these days. All very interesting isn't it? and an exact science too!

Cheryl- I still agree with you that the subliminal thing is still in use. It really does explain a lot doesn't it? :smileyhappy:

Hope everyone has a great day!

Jim

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Page is still wonky as I am seeing some posts for the first time. 

Becke- I do remember that episode of Columbo (No relation) also. I'm not sure it would work either, but it made for fun tv.

Jim

The Keys to the Vault

becke_davis
0 Kudos

B&N doesn't allow contests, but I have one on my website you might want to check out:

http://www.beckemartin.com/bm/index.php?page_id=23

Contributor
MyLibraryCardWoreOut
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was way to share your blog on Barnes and Noble. It is a book blog and I do movies too. I saw that there is a section for blogs but I cannot seem to share mine. It must be for admins or something. I would really like my blog to be out there. If someone could help me.

Oh and if you need the link or the name here it is.

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

http://mylibrarycardworeout.wordpress.com/

Thank you so much. 

-MyLibraryCardWoreOut
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

MyLibraryCardWoreOut wrote:

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was way to share your blog on Barnes and Noble. It is a book blog and I do movies too. I saw that there is a section for blogs but I cannot seem to share mine. It must be for admins or something. I would really like my blog to be out there. If someone could help me.

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

Thank you so much. 

Hi..You can Post your Blog anywhere on BN ,Any Board you would like to And any Thread of That Board..Also The Community Room of of Any Board ..Will visit and say Hi...Enjoy  Susan Vtc...Its a great way to get involved here On BN....Love you Name.. :  )

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi all,

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

Thank you so much. 

The bloggers here are all hired by Barnes & Noble, but you are welcome to share links to your blog here. Thanks for joining us!

Author
ElleryAdams
0 Kudos

LOL - Love this photo! Looks like me before I've had my coffee! :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
MyLibraryCardWoreOut
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have now learned something on B&N and that is that people get back to your and are really nice about it. Thank you once again. 

-MyLibraryCardWoreOut
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning Glad we could all help..We were all in your Shoes so to speak,and without any feedback,I would be clueless..its a Great Community.Enjoy..Susan Vtc...

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have now learned something on B&N and that is that people get back to your and are really nice about it. Thank you once again. 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

ElleryAdams wrote:

LOL - Love this photo! Looks like me before I've had my coffee! :smileyvery-happy:

Ellery,

I just finished your book The Killer Plot. Wonderful book. Kept me going right til the end. Loved the plot. The characters are great. Captain Haviland (her sidekick the standard poodle) was just the right touch. I will be looking for the next one in the series.

Are you in the midst of writing the next one?

Luanne

A Killer Plot

becke_davis
0 Kudos

We always like to meet new people here!

becke_davis

Author
AMayFlower
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

You have a great site here to learn about new and old mysteries.  I’ve been a mystery fan since I was child and have always dreamed of being a mystery author.  Now, I am!  My debut cozy mystery, Maid of Murder  , was released from Five Star, Gale/Cengage on June 16, 2010.  The novel is available through Barnes and Noble.  

Thanks for creating this book club.  I enjoyed stopping by!

- Amanda Flower

In Maid of Murder, India Hayes, a college librarian and reluctant bridesmaid, is thrown into the role of amateur sleuth as she hunts down the person who murdered her childhood friend and framed her brother for the crime.

When bride-to-be Olivia turns up dead in the Martin College fountain and the evidence points to India’s brother Mark, India must unmask the real culprit while juggling a furious Mother of the Bride, an annoying Maid of Honor, a set of hippie-generation parents, a police detective who is showing a marked liking for her, and a provost itching to fire someone, anyone—maybe even a smart-mouthed librarian.

“The first bud in a new series that fans of Donna Andrews's lighthearted Meg Langslow mysteries will be eager to see bloom.”-Kirkus Reviews

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda! Thanks so much for joining us! I've put in a request for an author tag for you!